AS55: Action Saxton and Saboteur (c) vs The New Church - Non-title

Status
Not open for further replies.

a0161613

WZCW's Mr Excitement
The original Tag Team Championship match that was supposed to occur at Apocalypse will instead be taking place on Ascension, except for the fact that this contest is strictly non-title. With the way the Turmoil match ended where the New Church were screwed from a chance at victory, Bateman has given them a match against Saboteur & Saxton to prove themselves and possibly become the number one contenders.

Deadline is 11:59pm Central Time, Wednesday 24th October. Extensions as per thread.

Chapter 4: He moves in Mysterious ways

In the locker room backstage at Apocalypse, Derek Jacobs and Mason Westhoff are seen in the aftermath of the tag team turmoil match. While Jacobs is angry at the events surrounding the match, Westhoff just has a pensive look on his face.

Derek: Mason, We had that match won! If it wasn’t for that demon of a man James Howard we could be the new Tag Team Champions. The very thought that Saboteur and Saxton are still in control of the Tag Titles makes me sick. We must not fail The Almighty, Brother Mason. He is close to his glorious appearance here in WZCW. It is imperative that we pave the way for him.

Mason: And we will, Brother Jacobs. We will pave the way for The Almighty just as he has instructed us to. I came to you earlier today with another letter that stated that we were to attack Strikeforce before the match, and we did. There’s an old saying, Brother Derek that He works in mysterious ways. I’m almost certain that we will be rewarded for fulfilling his wishes tonight. I’ve always told you to have faith, Derek. I’m asking you not to waver on that faith.

Derek: You’re right, Mason. Forgive me. If anyone should know that The Almighty’s ways aren’t our own, it’s me. I believe that it was His will for us to inflict the final blow to Strikeforce before the match tonight, and now it looks like Mikey Stormrage will never wrestle again. Strikeforce has fallen, brother. These letters are coming more frequently, which means to tell me that The Almighty is coming; but there are much more preparations to be made. Come, brother. We need to prepare for the next phase.

Lesson of the Day: Those who do not remember history cannot apply it to their current troubles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The scene opens with Brother Mason Westhoff entering the grand lobby of Bridge to Salvation Church. He shakes his head to get rid of some of the rain that has settled into his hair, a side effect of the sudden downpour Brother Westhoff found himself in on the walk from the parking lot.

It’s nice walking in the rain. It’s calming, almost therapeutic. You never realize how stressed you are until you are even partially relieved of it.

Brother Westhoff smiles and nods at Sister Jessica Malory, his assistant, as he continues toward his office.

I knew WZCW wouldn’t be easy, but it is much more taxing than I ever imagined. Working with Brother Jacobs to fight the demons from his past, getting into the Tag Team Championship picture, the mess at the pay-per-view… Add in how close I am to finding 888… I haven’t been this stressed since I began settling down here in Texarkana.

Brother Westhoff reaches for the knob of his office door, but the scene flashes back, and instead, he has the doorknob of an old, two-story house. The first room is the living room, filled to capacity with 30 or so people spread out on couches, chairs, or just on the floor. The walls have a single analog clock surrounded by the same flowery paintings you can find at your local department store. Brother Westhoff heads to the front of the room to speak. He looks younger, but the fire in his eyes is unmistakable.

Brothers and sisters in The Almighty, I wish that I could provide you with happier news, but the City Council has denied the proposal for our worship space once again.

A loud gasp reverberates through the room, followed by everyone speaking at once. Some are angry, others sad, but everyone is disappointed with the news. Brother Westhoff raises his arms to silence the group so he can speak again.

I know this ruling is not what we had hoped for, but we are nowhere near the end of the road. I’ve already scheduled an appeal for next month and we can alter the designs if it comes to that. Remember, if The Almighty wishes it,

Before Brother Westhoff can finish a tall man, probably in his late 50s with a look of utter frustration stands up and interrupts.

Then so it shall be. Blah, blah, blah. That isn’t going to get this church built, Mason.

Brother Farley,

Cut it with the “brother” and “sister” crap, Mason. My name is Al. Not Brother Farley. Now tell me, how do you plan on getting this church built?

Brother Westhoff looks incredibly uncomfortable, as he had not yet learned the ability to handle conflict that would aid him often in his later years.

Ok, Al. There were a few issues that the council pointed out in the hearing today that I believe we can either present differently or alter that will help everything meet the code.

Or, we could just build it somewhere that isn’t districted as a residential area. That’s the issue, Mason. I don’t know why you are so determined to level your house and build a church here, but we could have broken ground by now if you would just get it through your head that the city won’t let us build here.

This is where The Almighty lead me, so if we are going to build a space to worship, it will be here.

Again with the symbolism crap. Is every Christian church build on a site where Jesus spoke to someone? No. We need this church, Mason, and your stubbornness is going to ruin that and this group.

Is that really what you believe, Brother Farley? Do you really think having a building is a requirement for following The Almighty? If that is really what you believe, or if that’s really what anyone else here believes, the door is right over there. Being a true believer is about much more than bricks and mortar. I appreciate you coming over these few months, but we can’t have people like that around at a time as important as this.

Al stares at Brother Westhoff for a moment, then leaves the house, shaking his head.

Seriously. If there is anyone else that shares Al’s feelings, I must ask you to leave.

A couple more people slowly get up from where they had been sitting and make their way out of the door. Brother Westhoff grabs a newly empty chair and pulls it over to himself. After sitting down and taking a deep breath, he addresses those people that remain.

Brothers and sisters, you are the ones The Almighty told me I would encounter on this journey. You are not afraid of the unknown or what’s new. You are the faithful that will be shown the path to salvation. Now, let’s get down to business.

Brother Westhoff gets back to his feet, removes his suit coat and places it on the coat rack. As he does, the scene snaps back to the present with him doing the same action, except in his lavish office. At a table on one side is Brother Derek Jacobs, sitting at a computer, mostly oblivious to Brother Westhoff entering.

Al Farley and those others were short-sighted. I saw the future of Bridge to Salvation, and my goal was to make it a reality. Those people wanted what they believed would be a quick fix to keep things close to the status quo. Saxton and Saboteur only see Strikeforce and their titles. I see the future of the tag team division; a future where The New Church reign as WZCW Tag Team Champions. And just like I wouldn’t take no all those years ago, I won’t accept any other future.

Just as Brother Westhoff sits behind the piles of paper on his desk, Brother Jacobs lets out a shout.

In Brother Westhoff’s office at the Bridge to Salvation church, Mason is barely noticeable behind all of the paperwork on his desk, and Derek is sitting at a desk diagonally placed from Mason’s. Derek is checking his email, and he stumbles across one from Ascension GM Vance Bateman.

Mr. Jacobs, let me be the first to apologize for the complete lack of control at the end of your title match. If I wouldn’t have been so busy with other pressing issues at the time, I can guarantee you that there would’ve been a definitive winner at the end of that match, and I daresay that we would’ve had new Tag Team Champions. While I can’t go back and right that wrong, I can do this: This week on Ascension it will be The New Church vs. Saboteur and Saxton in a non-title match. While this is a non title affair, beating the current champions will catapult you to the front of the pack in regards to the next title shot. I can personally guarantee you that the events of Apocalypse will not befall you on Ascension. James Howard has a match on Aftershock this week, and as you know Mikey Stormrage is in no shape to compete for quite some time. There WILL be a clean winner in this match. You have my promise. Good luck on Ascension. All the best, Vance Bateman.

After finishing the email, Derek lets out a whoop of victory and gets Westhoff’s attention.

Derek: Mason! Mason! Vance Bateman has just emailed me to inform me of our match on Ascension. This week, we go one-one-one with Saboteur and Saxton in a non-title match. While I’m a little disappointed that this match isn’t for the championship, think of the opportunity this presents us! All that’s left of the tag division is our two teams. If we can beat them badly enough, we’ll be the only ones left standing on top of the mountain. You were right, brother. The Almighty has rewarded us for our faithful service to Him.

Mason: This is most exciting news, Derek. The Almighty truly has blessed us, and now it’s time for us to take our message to the next level. We MUST heighten the level of intensity in our campaign. The Almighty is coming, brother Jacobs, and it is up to us to prepare the way of The Almighty!

Westhoff and Jacobs begin to pray.

Mason: All powerful Almighty one, this week your believers, your followers, your Soldiers, prove that we are the best team in WZCW. You have blessed us with so many physical and mental gifts, and we use all of those gifts in a perfect storm of destruction and judgment in your name. I would normally ask for forgiveness before a match, but for this match I know that no forgiveness is needed. It is Your will, all powerful one, for us to destroy the last idols standing in the way of us and the Tag Team championship. Even though this match is non-title, our destruction of these two fools tonight will make it known that their final destruction is inevitable.

Derek continues the prayer.

Derek: Thank you, Almighty one for choosing us for this mission. It is a burden that myself and Brother Westhoff carry with pride, and we will follow you until the end. Please Almighty On-

Suddenly, the room goes pitch black, and then just as suddenly, a bright light is cast in the room. Derek and Mason both fall on their faces, and a shadow of a man steps into the room. Mason returns to his knees, and Derek does the same. Mason then turns to Derek with a look of unadulterated joy on his face.

Mason: Brother Jacobs, we are in the presence of The Almighty!

The door to Jerry Fogel's office swings open with fury as the WZCW tag team champions (and Krypto) burst into the room with more energy than a nuclear power plant at critical mass. Saboteur takes a running start before sliding to his knees, hammering out an air guitar solo and screaming,

Saboteur: YEEEEAAAHHHHH!

Saxton: S’right suckas, despite the notorious and very real tag team curse, Saxton and Saboteur have over come the odds and returned to Saxton Tower…

Saboteur: Saboteur tower.

Saxton: as the STILL WZCW tag team champions!

Krypto: And I’m here too!

Saxton: This is normally where I’d tell you to shut it, but you won at Apocalypse too, Krypto, so you alright by me… for now.

Jerry stands up from his desk and smiles at his clients.

Jerry: Congrats on the retensh you guys, reeeeeeally quality stuff. You can bet your bottom dollars that I was watching the fight on my high def 200 inch plasma TV, and on a screen that size I noticed something. You know what it is? That you guys… kick ass!

The trio of wrestlers smile and nod in agreement. Jerry sits back down at his desk and kicks his feet up as his jovial face turns grim.

Jerry: But seriously guys, can we real talk here for a second? It’s getting embarrassing to watch you.

The smiles quickly turn to frowns.

Saboteur: But you just said we kick ass!

Jerry: You do!

Smiles.

Jerry: But we are in negative smiles times boys. Things are bad.

Frowns.

Jerry: Seriously, you guys haven’t had a legit win since Meltdown 77, and in the mind of the WZCW fans that was yeeeeears ago. 17 years to be exact, market research proves it.

Krypto: But I win in dominate fashion, much like famed alien warlord BLEEP BLOOP BLAARRG.

Saxton: Shut up dummy! And you, white guy with the funny voice, what can we do? Every time Saboteur and I are about to lay the hurt on our opponents, some lyin’ cheatin’ fool comes and ruins our match!

Jerry: First of all, big guy, it’s Jerry, we met like a zillion times and you came to my nephews Bar Mitzvah, remember?

Saxton: Sucka, Action Saxton goes to like 3 Bar Mitzvahs a month. I’m a blast at those joints.

Jerry: And second of all, you train harder so you can finish your off those “lyin’ cheatin’ fools” before they can get the chance to cheat.

Saboteur groans.

Saboteur: Train? Can’t we just go on a somewhat comedic adventure that somehow relates to our match this week and learn a little something that makes us better wrestlers at the very end?

Jerry: There’s plenty of time for that later SaBROteur! Trust me guys, you’re going to want to be prepared for your match this week, you’re facing the guys that you didn’t beat at Apocalypse.

Saxton: Strikeforce?

Saboteur: Matt Testicles and John Constipated?

Jerry: New Church!

Saboteur: Ohhhh man, those guys are the worst! Plus, I’m pretty sure Derek Jacobs is into me. Like, sexually.

Saxton: You say that about everybody!

Saboteur: No seriously! One time we had a match, and he grabbed my ass!

Jerry: Guys, look, you’ve beaten these clowns once, and since then they haven’t lost a single match. It’s time to put these New Church jerks in their place, and I have just the guy to help you do it. Former tag team champion…

The door to Jerry’s office and in walks in an old man. He’s probably about 60… or maybe 70, it’s hard to say. Regardless of age he’s in phenomenal shape and carries an air of masculinity about him. It is none other than…

Jerry: Stan Rogers!

Saboeur, Saxton, and Krypto all whip their heads around to get a look at the wrestling legend; eagerly waiting for him to make an impassioned speech about the value of hard work and a balanced diet.

Stan Rogers: I was told there would be coffee and doughnuts. Where’s the coffee and doughnuts?

Jerry: You’ll get them later Stan, or should I say, Stan The Man, am I right?

Jerry smiles and stands up and extends his hand to Stan Rogers, but Stan Rogers instead extends an icy glare at the agent. Jerry sits down and wipes the smile off his face.

Stan Rogers: So you three dandy boys are my trainees, huh? What’s wrong with you? Too ugly to go out in public without that mask?

Saboteur: I have a condition!

Stan Rogers: And you, if you spent as much time training for wrestling matches as you did on your hair, maybe you wouldn’t have to hire me.

Saxton: Sucka, Saxton is all about three things: fighting, ladies, and keeping my fro luxurious.

Stan Rogers: And you, the little green guy… what are you supposed to be anyway?

Krypto jumps from his seat and extends his hand out to Stan Rogers.

Krypto: Pleased to meet you Mr. Rogers! I am Krypto, from planet…

Stan Rogers: Alright, you’re crazy, I’ve got it. Well, let’s get this over with, the sooner we’re done training the sooner I can go back to my living room and hang around until the sweet release of death.

Stan Rogers turns and leaves the room, not even waiting for his new charges to follow.

Saboteur: Well that was… depressing.

Jerry: Look Sabster, you don’t have to talk to the guy or get involved with his life, just let him train you, learn his secrets, and then you can come back here and watch I Love Lucy or whatever it is you do.

Saxton: Now they call me Action Saxton because I’m all about the action and not the drama, but even I think we ought to get that dude some help. He seems pretty depressed.

Jerry: Well if you don’t catch up to him you won’t be able to do anything with him. Quite frankly I’m not sure he knows where he is, now get out of here before he walks into traffic or something.

Krypto bolts out of the room and down the hall, calling for Stan Rogers. Saxton and Saboteur take a little more time before heading out. As they start to leave Jerry calls to them.

Jerry: And guys… seriously, don’t get too involved in his problems. He’s a relic of an age that is long forgotten. Focus on the match, not his life.

Saxton and Saboteur exchange a look of concern before leaving, without saying another word. They walk down the hall and see Stan Rogers waiting at the elevator with one of his massive hands wrapped firmly around Krypto’s throat.

Stan Rogers: I hope you don’t mind, I found the short alien lad to be a little trying, so I took some measures to remedy that.

Saboteur: Fine by me. I tried to send him to Timbuktu myself.

Saxton: So where we going anyway? We have a state of the art facility in this here building.

Stan Rogers: Ah phooey! Wrestling isn’t an art, and it’s not a science either! Wrestling is a fight, and you don’t learn to fight in one of your fancy boy workout studios.

Saboteur: So where do we learn to fight then?

The scene cuts to the four gentlemen standing in an abandoned warehouse.

Stan Rogers: You learn here!

The warehouse his dilapidated and grungy, but it seems Stan Rogers has managed to fill it with various training tools. There are a few large boxes, some weights, and an ancient looking boxing ring set up in the middle of the room.

Saboteur: Where is this place? And how did we get here?

Stan Rogers: This place is where I take you little boys and make you into men! You think you know how to wrestle? You don’t know the first thing about wrestling. These days it’s all about “sports entertainment,” which is why dandy boys like Showtime are able to be become world champions. Bah, Showtime.

Stan Rogers spits on the floor at the mention of this cursed name.

Stan Rogers: I’ve seen you boys wrestle, and you’re not bad… but you could never hold a candle to my generation. We’d eat chumps like you for breakfast and turn you into a bowel movement by noon. What we’re going to do here today is give you a little more substance. You still won’t have what it takes to beat a prime Stan Rogers, but you should be able to beat any of the so-called wrestlers in WZCW today.

Stan Rogers turns around and walks to the overseer’s office without saying another word. Saxton, Saboteur, and Krypto shrug at each other and decide to follow him. They stop at the door where Stan Rogers turns around and looks at Saboteur.

Stan Rogers: Son, you strike me as the speedy striker type, much like the Brazilian legend Marco Dom Pedro back in my day.

Saboteur scratches his head.

Saboteur: Uh, who?

Stan Rogers face turns red and he clenches his fists in anger.

Stan Rogers: Marco Dom Pedro! He was only the greatest striker in wrestling history! He could break a man’s ribs with a single jab, and he could kick a soccer ball two hundred yards. He invented the Pele Kick!

Krypto: Didn’t Pele invent the Pele Kick?

Stan Rogers: Bah, that soccer-playing dandy stole the concept and got all the credit. Anyways, if you want to be as quick as Marco Dom Pedro, you need to practice dodging a hundred enemies at once. That is why I have this training exercise for you.

Stan Rogers opens the door to the overseer’s office and pushes Saboteur in and slams the door behind him. He then padlocks the door to make sure there is no escape for Saboteur. Saboteur opens the blinds to the window in the overseer’s office and shouts out to his companions.

Saboteur: You’re going to lock me in an office? I don’t see how this is going to help me become like Marco Dom Pedro.

Stan Rogers: Just open the box I left in there.

Saboteur becomes aware of a medium sized white box lying in the middle of the room. His eyes grow wide and his mouth waters thinking about what awesome present Stan Rogers has left for him in the middle of the room. He’s buzzing with anticipation when he reaches for the box’s lid, but as he lifts it open he realizes it is not he, but the box that is buzzing. From inside the box comes a swarm of bees, and they are all pissed at Saboteur for disturbing them.

Stan Rogers, Saxton, and Krypto stand safely on the outside of the room. Through the window they see a flash of black and yellow being followed by a swarm of black and yellow, and all they can hear are the muffled yells of Saboteur screaming something about killing someone and someone being a son of a something. Stan Rogers doesn’t seem to be too concerned as he walks too a large box with a curtain over it. Once again, Saxton and Krypto silently follow.

Stan Rogers: Now you, you remind me of the first colored man to make it big into the wrestling business, a fella by the name of Pepe Peru. But if you wanna be half the man Pepe Peru was you gotta get strong, you gotta get tough, and you gotta get brave! You think you can do that?

Saxton: Sucka, I’ve fought a hundred ninjas with one hand after eating Mexican food. What do you think?

Stan Rogers: Hmmm, not bad. But do you think you handles this?

With one swift motion Stan Rogers rips the curtain off of the box, revealing that it is not a box at all but actually a cage. With a grizzly bear inside of it.

Saxton: Whoa now! What in all hell is that?

Krypto: I believe it’s a bear.

Saxton: I know that fool, I mean what the hell am I supposed to do with it?

Stan Rogers: Son, I innovated the powerbomb, and I used that move to put down many a man for the three count. If you can hit a powerbomb on a bear, you can hit a powerbomb on anyone!

Saxton: So you want me to powerbomb… a bear.

Stan Rogers: Indeed.

Saxton: Look Stan, normally I’d be happy to powerbomb any animal you put in front of me, but this is a grizzly bear, and I have an allergy to all bears native to the Pacific Northwest! Maybe if you found me a polar bear or even a panda. I would powerbomb the hell out of a panda. But a grizzly bear? Unless you wanna see a brother break out in hives, it ain’t happenin’ cap’n.

Stan Rogers lets loose a resigned sigh.

Stan Rogers: Very well, we’ll have to train you the old fashioned way then, with extensive old timey weight training.

Stan Rogers opens another box and pulls out a set of triangular weights. Each weight reads 500 tonnes, which this narrator has determined is about 75 pounds.

Stan Rogers: I call this one the Testicle Dropper.

Stan Rogers hoists both weights above his head and starts doing jumping jacks. On every jump he hits the weights together over his head with a loud CLANG and upon landing the weights smack together in front of himself with another loud CLOOM.

Saxton: You think you bad sucka? I call this Blacktastic.

Saxton picks up a set of the triangular weights and starts swinging them forward with his arms rotating in a circular motion. After a few seconds he starts squatting up and down.

Saxton: Ain’t no old white man gonna show me up! I’m Action Saxton! I’m the badest brother in the world! I’m the… oops!

Saxton accidentally releases one of the weights during a rotation and it goes flying directly into Krypto’s stomach. The impact sends Krypto flying backwards and crashing into a large pile of empty cardboard boxes.

Krypto: I’m… uuuuuuurgh… I’m okay! If I had a spleen I’m pretty sure it would be ruptured, but I don’t, so I’m okay!

Stan Rogers: Nobody cares! As for you Mr. Saxton, it’s that type of careless behavior that will cost you a match!

Saxton: Accidnets happen motha sucka! And who are you to give me advice? Your career ended because you lost a match to that unjive Showtime fool, and now you ain’t nothin’ but a…

Saxton is interrupted by a loud crash. Saxton and Stan Rogers turn to see Saboteur has jumped through the window of the overseer’s office and the bees have finally dispersed. Saboteur waddles awkwardly over to the duo, his masked face red with anger… and bee stings.

Saboteur: Bees… flippin’ bees… what the HELL is wrong with you?! I thought you were supposed to be the greatest generation or some bologna like that, and you think locking me in a room with a hive of bees is a good idea?! How is it that your generation made something as amazing as television, and something as awful as BEE TRAINING TECHNIQUES?!

Stan Rogers: Television? Bah! Television is for sissy boys that would rather watch the Musical Variety Hour than do something manly, like arm-wrestle a silver back gorilla!

Saboteur: Oh helllllllll no.

Saboteur clenches his fists and takes an aggressive step towards Stan Rogers, but is held back by Saxton.

Saxton: I think you should go Stan, you ain’t helped us one little bit. We’d be better off taking Krypto’s training advice.

Stan waves his hand at Saxton and Saboteur and turns around.

Stan Rogers: Fine, I don’t need this anyway. I’d be much happier going back to my apartment and eating dinner alone.

As Stan Rogers starts to walk off. He is slow in his old age, yet there still seems to be a sense of briskness in his steps. However, it’s not a sense of urgency that his walk portrays, but one of sadness, loneliness, and despair.

Saxton deflates at the sight of the legend walking away with his head hung low, and Saboteur’s fragile heart breaks.

Saxton: Wait… Stan.

Stan Rogers stops, but he doesn’t turn around.

Stan Rogers: What do you want? A few more cruel words for an old man before you say goodbye to him forever?

Saxton: I’ll do it. I’ll powerbomb the bear.

Stan Rogers slowly turns around and looks at Saxton, and then a smile crosses the old timer’s face.

-------

Saxton is standing in the boxing ring with the bear as Saboteur and Stan Rogers watch from the ring apron.

Stan Rogers: Now what you’re going to want to do is not get eaten by the bear.

Saxton: Thanks for the advice. Alright bear, I don’t like you, and you don’t like me, and that’s why I’m gonna put a grade A whoopin’ on your furry behind!

Saxton leaps into action and hits the bear across the face with a flying jump kick. The bear recoils, but quickly comes at Saxton with a swipe. Saxton is quick on his feet and leaps out of the way and follows the dodge with a jab to the bear’s face.

Stan Rogers: Quit dancin’ around like Gene Kelly and finish him already!

Saxton: Who the hell is that?

The bear charges at the distracted Saxton but Saboteur, the wily tag team partner, delivers a kick to the bear’s ribs from between the ropes. Saxton takes advantage of this with a karate chop right across the top of the bear’s neck. Saxton takes advantage of this and pulls the bear’s head between his legs looking to lift him up for the powerbomb, but the bear is too heavy for even the strong Action Saxton to lift, and the bear stands up and flips Saxton on his back.

The bear remains on its hind legs as Saxton lies belly down on the mat, helpless, and easy pickings for the bear. It looks like it’s over for Saxton when all of a sudden a flash of yellow and black blows by him. Saboteur rebounds off the ropes and charges full speed ahead at the bear, jumping up in the air and connecting with a Death Blow right across the bear’s face! Saxton hops up, and sets the bear up for the powerbomb, but he still can’t lift him. Saboteur comes over and gives Saxton a hand, but the bear is still too heavy! Then, much to their surprise, Stan Rogers climbs into the ring, and together the three of them hoist the bear in the air on Saxton’s shoulders. Saxton slams the bear forward to the mat, effectively ending the match, and the three men cheer with excitement.

Stan Rogers: Hurrah! That was animal cruelty at its finest boys!

Saxton lets out a manly roar of pride and excitement.

Saxton: Hot damn Stan, you right! If you can powerbomb a bear, you can powerbomb anyone.

Stan Rogers: Boys, you've made this old man very happy today. That was the neatest thing I’ve seen since the time I saw down Rita Heyworth’s blouse at a charity function in 1951!

Saboteur: Well we’re glad we can help Stan, and I’m glad you could help us! The New Church doesn’t stand a chance this weekend!

Stan Rogers: The New Church, eh? What can you tell me about them?

Saxton: They a couple of unjive fools always talkin’ about a higher power and what not. And they’re cheaters too. I got a bad feeling that they’re the suckas that beat the nerd out of Mikey Stormrage before Apocalypse.

Saboteur: Yeah, and Derek Jacobs is totally into me.

Stan Rogers: You know, I had a problem with a New Church once. Why don’t you boys sit down and I’ll tell you all about it…

Signal Panic Inc. presents
Action Saxton & Saboteur
[size=-3]& Krypto[/size]
in
"Fistloose!"

"And that, brothers and sisters," roars the firey preacher, "is why we can't allow this demonic activity to continue any further, and definitely not in our town!"

The crowd gathered in the town hall roars in approval. There are, however, four individuals who are certainly not roaring. They are Action Saxton, Saboteur, Stan Rogers, and Krypto. The four look around the town hall with various expressions on their faces - Krypto with vacant albeit bemused delight, Saxton and Saboteur with confusion, Rogers with pure, unbridled fury. Saxton is the first to speak up.

"Sucka, why are we inside your flashback?" he asks.

"Why is everything in black-and-white?" asks Saboteur.

"Why is Mr. Saboteur behaving so strangely?" asks Krypto.

"Why are you whippersnappers worrying about petty details when there's a travesty afoot?" barks Stan Rogers. "Were you not listening to the man at the front?"

"Of course we weren't," Saboteur replies, "We only just got here, and town hall meetings are about as interesting as Josh Young vs. Armando Parady- Ow!"

His sentence devolves into a yelp as Stan Rogers cuffs him sharply where his ear should be.

"Learn to listen!" he snaps. "Kids these days..."

He grumbles to himself for a moment. Saxton remains silent, Krypto oblivious. Rogers sighs.

"Since I'm the only one of us with a working set of ears, let me tell you boys what just occurred! You see, I have a very important wrestling match tonight, one of the biggest of my career!"

From under his seat, Stan Rogers withdraws a poster. On it in large letters are emblazoned the words A GRUDGE MATCH HELD INSIDE A WRESTLING RING FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT. Underneath are blurry shapes vaguely resembling Stan Rogers and his presumed opponent. You can tell which one is meant to be Rogers, because the other one has hair. Rogers jabs a finger at the poster.

"Look at this! I will be engaging the dastardly dandy Handsome Harold in mortal combat tonight, and this town's church is trying to shut the event down!"

Krypto gasps. "Oh no!"

"Oh no is right!" exclaims Rogers.

"These guys are really going to shut down this thing?" asks Saboteur.

"They're going to try! They'll probably stand in front of the arena or something equally ridiculous! It is poor form, trying to rob a man of his living, especially by shutting down such an old and respected form of competition! Back in my day, the only thing we shut down were speakeasies, because prohibition was in full effect!"

"Sucka," Saxton pipes up. "Aren't we in your d-"

The preacher interrupts. "All in favor of protesting this demonic and satanic and vile and vicious and dastardly wrestling event that may turn our children into hooligans, say 'Aye!'"

"Aye!" roars the entire town hall.

The preacher bangs a gavel. "It is decided!"

The townspeople applaud loudly, leaving our heroes to sit, dejected, and wonder what this could mean.

---

An hour later, the four walk into a local bar and sit on stools together, still looking very glum. The flyer for the match is still clutched tightly in Stan Rogers' hand. Every so often he glances at it and sighs deeply into his beer.

"Cheer up, sucka," says Saxton. "We'll think of something. I mean, who the hell really wants wrestling banned?"

"Yeah!" says Saboteur. "I bet the townspeople don't really want to protest the event. They were just swept off their feet by the preacher's charisma and soothing southern accent."

He turns to a man sitting next to him at the bar.

"Hey, you're excited for the wrestling show tonight, right?"

"How dare you ask me such a question, young man!" exclaims the gentleman. "Wrestling is dishonorable and is contributing to the death of society by ruining the sanctity of the family lives and teaching our children horrible habits! It is unchristian and uncouth!"

Saboteur turns to the three. He shrugs. "It was worth a shot."

"Perhaps," sighs Rogers. "But perhaps the preaching man was right. There simply isn't a place in this world for wrestlers such as myself."

Saxton seizes Rogers by the shoulders and begins to shake him. His eyes are wild and wet with emotion as he yells at the man.

"Don't you say that!" he yells. "Don't you ever say that the world will not need wrestling or wrestlers! Sucka, with God as my witness, and Saboteur, and that goofy alien sucka, and as long as this blood runs through my veins and pumps in the hearts of people all around the world, there will always be a place for wrestling!"

He unhands Rogers, breathing heavily. Rogers makes sure he hasn't died before speaking. "That's all well and good, boy, but how do you propose we get the townsfolk to see it?"

Action Saxton takes the wrestling poster from Stan Rogers' hands. He stares at it for a few moments, and then smiles.

"Sucka," he says. "I have a plan."

----

"I do not think this is a very good idea."

"Nonsense, sucka! You look just like him!"

Action Saxton and Saboteur step back and admire their handiwork. If no one had told them, they would have assumed that Handsome Harold himself was standing right in front of them. Despite the fact that Krypto was much shorter than Harold, more oddly-proportioned than Harold, and the extent of the disguise was the poster wrapped around Krypto's head so that Harold's face lined up with his own, their alien buddy was a spitting image.

"But friends," protests Krypto, "Will I not stand out?"

"You're right!" exclaims Saboteur. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a long gray mop of curly hair. "Put this on!"

Krypto fumbles with the wig, managing to lodge it sideways onto his head. Saboteur gives him a thumbs up.

"Perfect."

The four turn towards the baseball diamond, where the local team, The Dodgers, were practicing.

"You boys are sure this will work, right?" asks Rogers.

"Sucka," responds Saxton, "if there is one thing in life that I can do, it is work."

He pokes Krypto in the back, propelling the alien towards the practicing baseball players.

"Mr. Saxton, I don't-"

"Go on, sucka! Just like we practiced!" Saxton barks.

Krypto swallows loudly and takes a step towards the baseball players. He clears his throat.

"E- Excuse me," he stammers.

The baseball players take no notice of him. He decides to try again.

"If you would please turn your attention to me, I would like to speak..."

One baseball player hits a home run. The rest cheer. Saxton groans. Krypto tries once more.

"E- E- Excuse me!" he squeaks. "I-"

He inhales, a slow deep breath. He lets it out in a burst of emotion.

"I don't particularly like baseball very much!"

The baseball players stop batting. The crickets stop chirping. Rogers, Saxton, and Saboteur stop breathing. Krypto, still in disguise, trembles, as one of the baseball players sizes him up with the evil eye.

"What did you say?" he asks the alien.

"I- I said that I don't particularly enjoy baseball," Krypto replies.

The baseball players all look at each other.

"Well, you know what we do to punks who don't like baseball?" asks the baseball player. He starts tapping his bat against the ground as he slowly starts to walk towards Krypto, who is shaking violently. "We batter 'em up!"

"Hold your horses, young man!"

At Saboteur's urges, Stan Rogers steps up next to 'Handsome Harold'. The baseball player looks at him.

"Who are you supposed to be?"

"I," says Stan Rogers, frowning, "am Stan Rogers! And this, young man, is the devilish and dastardly Handsome Harold, whom I am scheduled to compete with!"

"Tonight!" hisses Saxton from the sidelines.

"Yes!" exclaims Rogers. "Tonight! I am scheduled to face the dastardly Handsome Harold tonight!"

"In a wrestling match!" whispers Saboteur urgently.

"I am scheduled to face Handsome Harold in a wrestling match tonight in the ring at the Grand Old Stadium!" says Rogers, impressively.

The baseball players look at each other.

"I thought the church man said that wrestling was banned?" asks one.

"Yes and no!" says Rogers quickly. "You see, he said that he wishes people to boycott, but I am asking you as a felow athlete, as an all-American boy and a lover of baseball, would you not prefer to be able to watch me exact my revenge on this villain?"

The baseball players huddle up. After a few moments, they break.

"You know, you're right," says one of the baseball players. "We want to see you kick Handsome Harold's teeth in!"

"Excellent!" says Rogers. "I trust you will be at the Grand Old Stadium tonight at seven-o-clock?"

"I will!"

"I hope my momma lets me go."

"Great! Great!" says Rogers. "I will see you boys there! Keep living cleanly and playing America's pasttime, boys!"

He turns around, dragging Krypto to Saboteur and Saxton.

"Hell yeah, sucka!" whoops Saxton once they are out of earshot. "What did I tell you? What did I tell you?"

"We aren't done yet," says Saboteur, grimly.

"While I am glad our plan was successful, I don't understand why those strange striped creatures were swinging large poles in my direction," says Krypto, still in his disguise. "As far as I know, humans do not celebrate the tradition of Zwarnigoop."

"So, boys," says Rogers, clapping his hands together. "Where shall we hit next?"

Where indeed! Through the day, the quartet perform their skit in such places as the local rollerskating rink...

"Wheels are dangerous and only ruffians use them!"

...The park...

"Many of you are carrying around silly umbrellas when it is not even raining!"

...The local bakery...

"I've always found apple pie to be particularly unpleasant!"

...The Sewing Club For Women...

"I believe knitting to be the superior craft!"

...The Smoking Cigars And Complaining About Your Hard Day At Work Club For Men...

"Women's ankles are not in and of themselves obscene, and thus there is nothing wrong with slightly shorter skirts!"

...And the local swing music festival.

"I'm not exactly sure what a glockenspiel actually is!"

By the time seven-o-clock rolls around, the area outside of the arena is stuffed to the gills. Action Saxton and Saboteur step back to admire their handiwork. Krypto has shed his disguise and is breathing easily for the first time in several hours. Stan Rogers almost smiles.

At the front of the crowd is the preacher, who is loudly yelling over the hullabaloo.

"Brothers and sisters," he cries, "this hunger that the Devil himself has put into your souls is consuming you! He wishes to tempt you and confound you with his evil and despicable ways, and this 'wrestling' is just another distraction from the good in the world! Fire and brimstone is all that awaits you should you choose to go through with this!"

But his words are lost as the crowd starts chanting.

"We want wrestling!" they chant. "We want wrestling! We want wrestling!"

Stan Rogers strides forward, parting the crowd like the Red Sea, with Krypto, Saxton, and Saboteur behind him. He marches to the doors and throws them open, and the crowd roars.

----

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is now time for your main event of the evening!"

The packed stadium cheers in approval as the announcer calls. In the front row, Action Saxton, Saboteur, and Krypto similarly cheer and yell. In the ring are Stan Rogers, Handsome Harold, a referee, and the announcer.

"Introducing first of all, coming to us from the city of St. Louis, Missouri, he weighs in tonight at 260 lbs. and stands at 6 feet, 3 inches tall, the "Strongman" Stan Rogers!"

The crowd becomes unglued as Stan Rogers crosses his arms in acknowledgment. He eyes Handsome Harold, who is spraying the ring with perfume.

"And his opponent for tonight has come to us from the hills of Hollywood, weighing in at 259 lbs. and he stands at 6 feet, 2 inches tall. He is currently spraying the ring with a perfume of a sort, but I must remind him tonot use too much, for the only wetness we wish to have in this ring is the perspiration from the competitors' heaving bodies. Ladies and gentlemen, "The Human Chrysanthemum" Handsome Harold!"

The crowd boos loudly. Handsome Harold hands the referee his spritzer, and retreats to his corner. He grabs a microphone from the announcer before looking out into the crowd.

"I would just like you all to know," he says, "that I am not a fan of your city!"

He hands the microphone to the referee, soaking in the chorus of boos that now rain down on him and eyeing Rogers looking very dastardly indeed. With the arena packed, our heroes in the front row, and everyone on the edges of their seats, the referee calls for the bell.

Immediately, the two wrestlers approach each other and tie up. The crowd rumbles with anticipation. After three minutes of strength-testing, Stan Rogers manages to lock in a headlock and the crowd becomes unglued. Rogers yanks on Harold's head, the crowd's cheering becoming more and more pronounced. However, Harold manages to reverse out of the hold, and locks in a headlock. The crowd starts booing raucously, stomping their feet.

Stan Rogers is struggling inside Harold's deadly headlock, but being the all-American wrestler he is, manages to cleverly power out. The crowd awaits his next move with bated breath. They can feel it coming, and they can't wait, and - yes! A headlock! The crowd is on their feet! Well, most of it.

"Sucka, I am starting to get the feeling that this is not the wrestling we are used to," says Saxton.

"You got that right," Saboteur replies.

The crowd has started booing loudly, as Harold has managed to trap Rogers in his deadly signature hold, the headlock. Rogers is fading, his eyes rolling, the crowd screaming, the men roaring and the women sobbing into their man's shoulders. But suddenly, despair turns into jubilation! Sadness into delight! Upset into pleasure! For you see, Stan Rogers has managed to do the impossible, and hit Harold with his trademarked special hold, the headlock! Harold crumples to the ground and Rogers shoots the half!

One! Two! Three!

The crowd explodes in delight, hugging each other and jumping up and down. Men, women, and children are sobbing with happiness as Stan Rogers celebrates the defeat of the evil villain Handsome Harold. Saxton and Saboteur look at each other, and then at the emotional and sobbing Krypto.

"C'mon, sucka," he says, dragging Krypto by the head into the aisle. "Let's get out of here."

The three of them leave, leaving Stan Rogers to bask in the cheers of the fans.

---

"You know, sucka, wrestling has changed."

The three sit at the bar, drinking their chocolate malts. Saxton continues.

"It's a lot different now then it was back then. Or back now. Whatever. But I think we learned a lot. Like that we can powerbomb bears, go through bees, and defeat entire churches. And if we can defeat this church through the power of wrestling, I see nothing stopping us defeating the New Church through the power of wrestling."

Saboteur sips his malt through his mask. He stares at Krypto, who is still blubbering over the power and emotion of Stan Rogers's victory. "Did you just try to shoehorn a moral into a flashback?"

"You're damn right I did, sucka," says Saxton. "You're damn right I did."

The two of them sip their malts happily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back