AS17: Austin Reynolds vs. John Constantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

WZCW's First Triple Crown Champion
Apocalypse saw two interesting events, first being Reynolds retaining and finally getting a win over his rival Chris Beckford and John Constantine made his debut by interrupting Doug Crashin. Constantine demanded some competition for his debut match and has received the Elite X Champion through this. Will the newest member of the roster put his money where his mouth is or will the Champion show that it takes a lot to compete with the Ratings Winner in this company?

Deadline is Tuesday 13th July 23:59 EST

A street that is oddly familiar comes into view as a very grand limousine pulls around the corner, the large screens and advertising boards flicker and attract attention as a sharp-suited John Constantine steps out of the car. Taking a deep breath in, his nostrils flare as the polluted New York air fills his airways. He gives the limousine driver some brief instructions and slams the door shut behind him. He looks around for a second and then begins to nod his head with a contented look on his face.

John Constantine: Ahhh! Can you feel that ladies and gentlemen?

He takes another breath in and puts his arms out to his side to feel the rush of New York air.

JC: This is the American Dream. Times Square in New York is where companies of the Unites States and beyond convince you to buy their items and you lap it up. Look how shiny everything is… You can’t help but be impressed by this feat of construction. The constant pressure can be too much at some times and I get that. I mean, say I was like all of you and I wanted to eat at a fast food restaurant, I would need to decide where I went. Of course, then I have to decide between all of these companies that would drive me to an early grave. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is capitalism in action and it is the foundation of the American Dream.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I know how much you people need your luxuries. I know that you people need prescription drugs, caffeine, alcohol, tobacco and other supplements to make your dull lives bearable but not me. No! Not John Constantine. You see, I am a different type of man. I don’t need any of these things. I have seen the highest of the highs and I have seen the lowest of the low. I have seen a self-made man reach the top of the senate in the United States from a rich heritage and I have seen a homeless man be reduced to selling his blood for money. During my outreach programme for my senate run, I had to mix amongst these people that I cared. I didn’t care remotely but at least I made it look as if I did. Does that make me a hero? Yes! I think it does.

Constantine finds and empty bench on the sidewalk after walking down the street some more. He pulls out a handkerchief from his blazer pocket and places it on the bench. He sits down and takes in the bustling environment that surrounds him. A smile appears on his face and a look of wonder in his eye.

JC: Last week, I interrupted Doug Crashin during his monotonous drawling speech about being the saviour to the people. He talked about being the man who could lead the people into the new generation and although I would have much rather have waited a while until my debut, I thought it best to go to the people and show them that they didn’t have to settle for second best anymore. Sure. Doug Crashin may be the saviour of WZCW but I may also be the king of Zimbabwe. Doug Crashin is just… Horrible. He preaches about how he can save the people but he can barely win a match… I just don’t get it. Anyway, the people seem to lap up second best around here these days and since I am the true hero of WZCW, I thought it best to show them that there is always more than one option.

I mean, look at my opponent for this week for a great example of this. Austin Reynolds has made some great strides in WZCW since basically being handed the Elite X Championship by a beaten, depressed, desolate and disgruntled Karnage. Now, last week I asked for some competition but the brass at WZCW decided to give me Austin Reynolds instead. Now unlike a lot of the general public, I am not going to complain about my lot. In fact, I am going to do quite the opposite. I am going to go out there and make them take notice of me. You see, John Constantine doesn’t care to be second best like a lot of people in WZCW.

Look at Chris Beckford. How long has this young man been on the title chase for without any results? It’s been a while anyway and whilst I feel for him somewhat, he just doesn’t have the skill set that will get him to the top. So, he settles for second best to Austin Reynolds and is just happy to be on TV for a while every week. John Constantine is an entirely different kettle of fish I do not settle for second best and I won’t be beaten. At Ascension this week, Austin Reynolds and I will clash in a WZCW ring for the first time in what I imagine will be one for the ages. Finally this man doesn’t need to settle for second best either. For once, he will be given more than ample competition and perhaps more than he can handle.

If my time on the hill has taught me anything, it is that we must, as a people, take credit for other people’s work if it is better than yours and although I will be the one beating Austin Reynolds at Ascension, all of you fat, lazy people of American can feel free to take credit for getting me there.

I am John Constantine, I don’t settle for second best and I am better than each and every single one of you…

Constantine gets off the bench and whistles for his limousine to move up the road. The car continues up the road and the driver comes out to open the door. Constantine steps inside and the limousine drives off and this picture shows up on the advertising boards of Times Square:

29448_1348422636730_1416252161_31009263_4122347_n.jpg

Off the back of his victory at Apocalypse, Austin Reynolds was in superlative mood. He felt unbeatable, untouchable and rightly so. Reynolds had seen off a credible threat, in a great match and retained his important title.

Apocalypse was over now but the effects were still being felt, even days later. He was bruised from head to toe and was moving with a little less energy.

Nonetheless he felt that this victory was significant and deserved a celebration. To that end he had made an appointment with a good friend of his to complete a job that he had started when Austin started in WZCW. That star on his right shoulder was looking a little lonely. It had always been his intention to expand on it and this was the perfect opportunity.

He had just come out the parlour with his shoulder bandaged up and he was going to meet Dom and Hayley at their favourite local restaurant. As he sat in the same seat that he always looked to be in, he watched the world go by outside. The peace and calm tranquillity allowed his mind to wander to the events of the past few weeks.

Apocalypse was, to put it lightly, devastating and took a huge toll on everyone. From the Mayhem champion who lost his belt to the World Champion who got screwed out of his title. Austin walked out but he was still feeling the effects of it. Not just physically but mentally also, Beckford had posed a huge challenge and to still emerge as champion was the justification he was seeking.

He was the Ratings Winner and nobody could dare doubt this now. Austin lived up to the hype just like he promised.

“Baby!”

“Dude, you looked like you were a million miles away.”

“I’m fine.”

Dominic & Hayley take a seat each in the booth. They have just ordered food for themselves and Austin and come carrying three bottles, including fizzy water for Austin.

“Darling I think we have been a bit harsh on you recently.”

“Yeah mate, you’ve been under so much pressure but you came through it. You’re still the man, you always were and you always will be. We won’t doubt you from now on. We will help you out with anything you need. I am all about you now.”

“And I will do anything I can for you too.”

Austin is surprised. He thought he had their support anyway and it hadn’t crossed his mind that he was in it on his own.

“Guys, where has this come from?”

“The pay-per-view, we realise that you are more confident about things than we are. You deserve our utmost faith and unwavering support. You deserved it all along but you will get it from now on.”

“But like you don’t already know, we thought you were superb on Sunday.”

“Like seriously outstanding.”

Austin tries to resist blushing but is sure that he failed.

“Thank you. I know you have my interests at heart and I do appreciate it even if I go over the top sometimes.”

“But you have backed it up. I know we weren’t the only ones impressed either. The bods in charge have booked you in a match already.” Dom waves a brown envelope at Austin.

“Who?”

“I’ll tell you when we get back to the office.” Austin reaches for it but Dom pulls it out of his way, just as their meals arrive. “Me hungry, need to eat.”

Two hours later, having eaten and drunk plenty at their lunchtime meeting, they return to Dominic’s penthouse office suite, nursing fully stomachs.

“I’ll be damned if that wasn’t their best meal yet.”

“They keep getting better and better.”

They all collapse into the leather chairs. Dom reaches into his jacket pocket and slowly pulls out the envelope again.

“Opponent....Ascension....ugh...you know the deal.”

Austin grins as Dom sleepily reaches across to him.

“John Constantine huh? Wasn’t he backstage on Sunday?”

Austin waits, expecting a response but Dominic is snoring with his mouth wide open and Hayley is curled up in a ball. He chuckles as the two people he is closest to in the world show ultimate relaxation. Yet he was antsy. The activity of last weekend meant he was still buzzing a little and still had unspent energy and excitement.

He had to focus that on next weeks Ascension.

He walks out to the balcony, quietly shifting the doors to slip himself through. The fresh air of a sharp gust hits him hard and cold.

“John Constantine, there is going to be many comparisons made between you and I. Not least the fact that you are going to make your debut in a match against the Elite X champion. It’s inevitable; this is your big shot. It’s your chance to make a name for yourself.”

Austin inhales deeply. He wants to make Keanu....or John Constantine understand that hard work begets just rewards but just showing up and expecting the world on a plate will just not cut it.

“You wanted competition, a litmus test, just like Frankie Smith was for me? Everyone needs one and you demanded yours. On pay per view no less. Now I would love to take a man of your stature seriously but I have a problem with what you did at Apocalypse. This is only part of the problem I have with you. Not only did you demand attention and competition, but you interrupted Doug Crashin? How am I meant to take someone who does that seriously?”

It was this kind of thing that made Austin laugh. Making an impact is perfectly reasonable; even doing it at someone’s expense was acceptable to him but Doug Crashin? That was such a random thing to do that it made him think of the facepalm gif that Dom showed him the other day.

“I see you, a failure in high society, a stained reputation. You had it all but you lost it. Your chance to become a huge star and you let it slip. You had it all, but didn’t have a clue about how to appreciate it and threw it down the pan.”

“It’s funny though. It’s just like Chris Beckford. He takes risks. He tried to reach one step too far, to fly that little bit further, beyond what he is able. Where did that get him? He got beat, damn near crippled, live on pay-per-view.”

Austin contemplates the action at Apocalypse, how it has affected him, Beckford, the Elite X title itself. Everything changed and it was never going to be the same again. But he wasn’t disappointed; as champion he was ready to put himself on the line for the show. For the ratings.

“And so, you are next in line to face WZCW’s biggest new star. Congratulations. Enjoy the time back in the spotlight. I promise you, your ten minutes in the ring with me will be more successful than you entire political career and it will be more entertaining than your career suicide.”

“Nobody wants to see John Constantine on their TV’s anymore. You mean nothing now, so save your money. But I will make you relevant before you fade back into obscurity because I am the five-star attraction that you wish you could be.”

Austin’s brash nature is coming to the fore. He had heard about Constantine in the news and his move to wrestling had not escaped his notice. The entire episode had left a sour taste in his mouth. He was intending to ensure he felt that on Ascension.

“And you are a filthy example of all that is wrong with corrupt organisations, my fans are going to enjoy seeing me destroying what you stand for. WZCW is no place for what you stand for. Politics is going to get you nowhere in this place because everyone know I am the best choice.”

And with his words out in the open and lost to the breeze, he heads back inside. Dominic and Hayley look absolutely peaceful and Austin knows he is too. His calm demeanour betrays the utmost confidence that he has in himself.

John Constantine poses no threat to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back