Are we expecting too much? Thoughts on the duties of a professional wrestler

Dragonslayer

Getting Noticed By Management
Now as I've been more closely following the developments in wrestling for a little while again now, and as I've also gotten more and more of my information from Internet sites, since wrestling on TV is rather limited for me hereabouts right now, I still see many of the same phrases, the same complaints, the same suggestions and the same thoughts rise up again and again every once in awhile.

There you here that "this superstar can't cut it on the mic", that "that superstar lacks charisma", that "this superstar's delivery is poor", that "that superstar's character doesn't entertain". And many a time people will in basically much the same sentence bring up the subject of how glorious our much beloved Attitude-Era was, how great the Monday Night Wars were, and how much better everything just used to me. But looking at how much the wrestling product has changed over the years, from being an oversized fairground attraction in the 1980ies, over gathering mainstream attention and becoming a "grown-up" product with a much greater target audience, to turning into a huge, nigh-monopoly business institution in the form of WWE with again a somewhat tilted target audience, and which now probably has more "representative" factor than ever before; I cannot put away the notion that sometimes I have to ask myself if we're asking too much.

If we're demanding too much. If we're expecting too much.

Agreed, there was this great "Attitude" era. But why was it great? There was novelty; there were new, great characters that were more down-to-earth; there were storylines; there were angles that no one would ever have thought possible in the 1980ies era; there was a handful of surprisingly talented guys, both in- and outside of the ring. But as we all know - times pass and eras end, and so did this arguably greatest time in professional wrestling history.

And now, as we have ventured into a new era, with a new generation, a new breed of superstars that seek to be our heroes, we find ourselves a bit disoriented. For gone are the edgy, take-no-bs characters from the Attitude days; there is no Rock, there is no Steve Austin, there is no Nation of Domination, there is no Mick Foley around anymore. Instead, there are those new kids on the block, and we just do not seem to know what we're expecting, or what to do with them.

Do we want the Attitude era to return? Do we want a new incarnation of that time? And what it ultimately comes down to would be the question: How could this possibly be achieved, and can the wrestlers pull it off?

And this is where I want to direct my question: Are we expecting too much from the boys?

For we want them to be wrestlers, first and foremost. We want them to have trained physiques, we want them to perform moves that require a lot of strength, a lot of training; we want them to fly, we want them to fall, we want them to beat and get beaten. And we want that every day of the week, all throughout the year.

But we do not stop there. When wrestling became that hybrid of (non-competitive) sports and soap-opera; when characters and stories became easily as important as matches, our needs and demands also changed - and only grew bigger over time. Now we want them to fly farther and fall harder; we want them to perform new and more moves that take our breath away - but now, we also want them not only to be wrestlers, but also to be actors. We want them to play their roles, their "gimmicks" much more elaborately than we used to; I feel our demands as audience have grown to very high levels in that respect.

For as said - all too often we hear people complain about how we "don't buy that character", how that guy's "delivery is off" - but my question is: Can we truly demand all that we demand?

Can we ask of athletes - which is what pro wrestler essentially are - to not only be that, but also be actors? But also be entertainers, in a more mainstream media type of way, instead of those over-the-top, comic-like characters they used to be? Can we demand the proverbial award-winning performances, along with stellar physical deliveries inside the squared circle?

Think back to the glory days of Hulkamania - when a 6-foot-something guy with a weird haircut started eating his bandana, shaking all over before plunging into a shouting rant with the words "Well lemme tell you something, Mean Gene...!" - that was not exactly great acting. But we bought it, and it worked for the time. Now, we blame people like Vickie Guerrero and Mike Adamle for having too little acting talent. We talk of people like Mr Kennedy "growing stale", talk about "no one on the horizon to fill the shoes of The Rock and Steve Austin" - but is that really so? Is there no one to follow and continue the legacy of the kind of wrestling, of sports entertainment, that was created in the Attitude Era? And if so - why? Why are we not satisfied? What are our demands, what do we expect? And once again - Can we really expect it?

Or is it just the booking that doesn't work? Agreed - pretty much every storyline and every angle have been done now. We get the same concepts in slightly altered versions in regular periods; but then again - there is only so much you can do. Even WWE has already been pushing it's boundaries of taste and piety with things like incest-angles and death-angles - and still we're not to be satisfied anymore. So what do we expect?!

Is it not enough to have the "old" angles with new faces anymore? But if so - what can be done?

Or would even old stories be good if done by the best performers? If so (and look to the current HBK - Jericho feud first), then I still ask: Can only top-notch performers who have been in the business for many years still deliver marginally at that level that we seem to expect from EVERYONE nowadays, no matter if they've been in the business for one year, five years, or over a decade?

And now I ask your opinion on these more or less random thoughts: Do we expect too much from "our" boys? Or are our high expectations justified considering the paychecks the guys earn? Is it a fault of the bookers, the storyline writers, the creative teams that we are not satisfied with current products anymore? Or is it only the wrestlers that just are not able to deliver at the level we want them to?

Fire away.

I have to say, I'm inclined to agree. There's so much hatred in the IWC for people like Cena, Khali, and Henry, the main argument being that they can't wrestle. Well, lets face it, Khali's job is not to be a wrestler. Khali is not Benoit, he's not Jericho, and he was never meant to be. Everyone and they're cousin wants the WWE to fire Khali. Why? He does his job. If you saw him do a hurricarana, you'd shit bricks, it just doesn't work. He's there to elevate talent and be an unstopable monster. He does his job. Why is that bad? And as for who's the next Rock or Austin? No one. They we're amazing. They're now legends. But eventually, we'll fall in love with another character, a better character. Isn't that the point people have been making? That wrestling has too much redundancy? I know I'll catch hell for this, but i believe comparing a new superstar to a legend is damn insulting to the new superstar. They don't want to be them. They're not trying to be them (with the exception of Lethal and Sharkboy). They want to make a name for themselves. The Attitude Era is over. It was great, but now it's gone. And now it's time to stop looking at superstars through the eyes of someone living in 1998, and start seeing them in relation to the current era. Why try to recreate them to suit an era that's in the past?

The biggest issue in all this is the "reality" issue... As a population of this planet, reality has taken over our conciousness... Big Brother...Tough Enough...Beyond The Mat... The internet... Often we are more interested in what the wrestlers had for breakfast, who they are sleeping with or who is pissed off with who rather than the wrestling aspects that played in the Hulkamania era or the new shine casting off Kayfabe brought to the attitude era...

Why critisise Vicki Guerrero for being a bad actor... She isn't an actor, she is the wife of a wrestler who died, who WWE gave a job to as an on screen GM... out of love and loyalty for her husband...not for her talent...not cos she is a Diva... why would she need to act at all?, she IS out of her depth...when faced with a guy like Undertaker... it works perfectly...

JBL is an independently rich guy, and an ass... he doesn;t need to "turn the volume up" to play a character...

The only thing that let down the Jericho/Shawn/Rebecca angle was the contrived apsect of Shawn not tearing Jericho a new one there... Reality and Work don't go too well together, Jericho carried his end as it was probably a genuinely emotional moment for him that he was being trusted to do it, but WWE has certainly never got the balance right when it comes to mixing reality and work... it made Shawn weaker... the moment someone was with his wife, he should have been after Jericho and trying to kill him... cos if that had happened in real life...or a fan had got in the ring and done it, Shawn would have done just that...

Someone like Kennedy or Regal or Jeff Hardy has fucked up several times... instead of wondering why they are getting stale, we are seeing them living out their punishments... When Trips did in in the 90's not many of us knew why he was losing Hog Pen matches... everyone knows why Jeff Hardy or Regal lose matches or disappear from TV...cos it's their real lives...

Angles that we lapped up seem contrived today... they make it seem... more fake...

There has been talk for years of a more MMA aspect coming to WWE and frankly, I think it has to happen, foget the characters to an extent, have the guys lives become the show... Cena's neck injury is more dramatic than anything thats happened this year in WWE, a year or more out... that is reality... i'm not saying report weekly on Cena, but... some of the best stuff ever in WWE has come out of real life circumstances as they unfold... If they can move towards embracing that rather than contrivances and angles that require pretence...

As a planet we demand reality... we want to see the blood and guts on the news, the raw sex and bad behaviour in the Big Brother house, we want to see into the bedrooms, locker rooms, and operating theatre cos we know its real...and we're addicited to reality...

If WWE can't get that new balance right... it will have serious problems...

I'm gonna have to say yes, we are expecting & demanding too much & by god do the boys & the handful of girls do deliver & at great price too... i don't really know what it is with today's wrestling fans but i do notice that a lot aren't too appreciative of a pro-wrestler's efforts no matter how bad he or she gets injured...

i know the candice michelle/beth phoenix thing is almost dead but there still some heated discussions about it... in youtube if you watch a video of candice's fall & read the comments there's a lot of finger pointing at both wrestlers, one will blame beth for injuring candice & another will defend beth but blame candice for her lack of skills... one that most stands out, at least to me, was a heartless comment by some guy who said that people shouldn't blame beth all because candice didn't know how to fall...

didn't know how to fall...

what the hell was that supposed to mean? the same could be said about sid vicious when he broke his leg but you don't hear anyone saying that... i know she's not the most talented wrestler but that doesn't mean that she didn't bust her ass for the sake of a show... aside from expecting too much the sympathy isn't a lot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back