• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone else envisioning a stinker of a main event?

manstis1804

Pre-Show Stalwart
I've got a bad feeling about Bound For Glory's main event of Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy and Mr. Anderson. I feel like all 3 are stale at this point in their career, and that the fans will not react very strongly to the match because it will just come down to them just hitting their signature moves on each other and kicking out of finishers or breaking up pins. I only think this because Angle is great but completely mechanical, while Hardy and Anderson are both limited in-ring performers and the triple threat stipulation can dilute their respective charisma. There's a lot of guys that TNA fans would probably respond better to in the main event, like AJ Styles, The Pope, or Samoa Joe. Also, the 2 big angles are the main draw for the PPV, not this match, so fans just may not be all that interested in the match action, waiting for a big run in or swerve to happen. I just don't envision the match getting over with the crowd to the level it should for numerous reasons. Thoughts?

watch the match between angle and anderson at lockdown, enough said. or the match he had with hardy at the last ppv. both produced reactions. yes the hardy/angle match was a bit stale but it kept the crowd for the most part and was able to pull them back when it needed to.

i agree that the big angles may take away from the match but i think in the end the match may be the only thing that saves the show if tna flops the "they" stuff. i hope they have given this match the time and attention it deserves but i am afraid that it may just be a filler for "they".

so i guess in a way i agree with u but i certainly think it could stand on it's own if booked right.

I agree that this match isn't why I'm buying the PPV, the "They" storyline is what is making me spend my money. I already know Hardy won't win because of his legal problems. If Anderson pins Hardy, Angle hasn't technically lost so he won't have to retire. This is why I'm predicting a win for Anderson. I would like to see Anderson win by cheating and turning heel, but if he doesn't, it won't ruin my day because Angle would be a good champ too. I don't like the idea of a 3 way WHC match, a championship match should be one on one, period. The only thing this 3 way dance has accomplished is putting Pope into the Deception storyline. I would have been more excited about this main even if it were just Anderson & Angle.

Ric-Flair.jpg

Agreed Angle had awesome matches with Hardy and Anderson, individually. However, the triple threat match type usually takes a match in more of a spotty direction with less impact of the individual personalities in the match. Fans respond to Anderson and Hardy because they are strong personalities, that is their strong point. Neither of them are that impressive as far as the big spots go at this point, however, and in TNA thats what makes triple threat matches.

Which part of losing a triple threat match isn't really losing? If that's the excuse used to keep Angle from retiring (which was a really idiotic storyline in the first place), we ought to be calling major shenanigans. I guess Anderson could always turn heel and win dirty, but that would just be piss weak at the company's biggest PPV.

They've CLEARLY said that if Angle doesn't win the title he retires, so Anderson pinning Hardy would force Kurt Angle retiring... unless they decide to go back on that like they did with the whole "If Angle loses to AJ he gets no more title shots in 2010"

But back on topic, I agree. It's not even that the world title match has not as strong of a story as They or Deception, there literally is NO story going on for the title. It's three guys who all "respect" each other... and it's kind of boring.

I have never been a fan of the 3 way dance or triple threat matches... I have always been partial to the one on one main events.. I feel like the matches with more guys is just a cheap ploy to get more talent into the match, but it hardly ever comes out as a top rate match. I can only think of a handle full of main event matches that have been incredible. When Benoit won at WM 20 it would have been much more monumental had it been a one on one match (even if he did beat HHH and HBK and make HHH tap). Matches that are more than one on one just look cheap and unorganized, a 1 on 1 match is where it's it and where a true champion is made. It's the chance for the underdog to get revenge on the top dog all by himself. That's just me though and I'm sure a lot of people won't agree. I think this match will definitely not be one of those 3 way dances that stand out.

I think it will be a solid way to close out BFG, but with that said I think the storyline is pretty weak and the whole just 3 guys duking it out for the title is BORING AS SHIT when it comes to storytelling. The thing that makes wrestling so awesome is the storytelling, if it wasn't no one would watch wrestling because they have MMA now, and I agree that the 3 way dance loses alot of luster because there is no storyline going in (so in essence people don't have any reason to watch the match because they aren't in no way, shape or form invested in it) but to say it will be a stinker is ludicrous.

Kurt Angle has had awesome matches with Hardy (with little or no storyline) and he's also had awesome matches with Anderson (although they had a storyline, a real shitty one) so the second that match starts it will be a solid contest guaranteed. I agree that because the story isn't there it will make the idea of watching the match seem boring as all hell, but personally I only see these 3 putting on one hell of a match. All are getting older (and Jeff needs someone to carry him to a good match) but they are all still fairly solid in the ring, and even though Angle is old in the wrestling world, he's still one of the best between the ropes. Since these 3 have had good matches that were one on one, I don't see that changing at BFG. Story is non existent, but the match should be awesome.

I agree, the "main event" is probably one of the lowest reasons i am interested in this PPV. I am more interested in "they", the Nash Sting Hogan angle, the tag title match looks good too, even Fortune vs EV 2 match might be fun...

How can their biggest show have Styles, Pope, RVD, & Sting no where near the title match?

On top of that, I just do not see what people see in Ken Anderson.. he's a bad rip off of Stone Cold IMO, Jeff Hardy could be in jail for a long time very soon, and Kurt Angle is putting on great matches, but there in only so much he can do. Let hope we are pleasantly surprised in this match.

If previous Bound For Glory PPV's are any indication on what to expect, I can see this match being pretty damn solid. The TNA wrestlers try very hard to pull the stops out at this Pay Per View, just like the WWE guys do at Wrestlemania. I don't see this being a stinker. May not be the Match of the Night, but it should be solid and entertaining. We shall see what happens. Remember that Hardy and Angle have both proven themselves in the "Big Show" light, so at least for those two, this match should be awesome.

Yes TNA have gotta give some time to this match up and the match up has gotta turn heads and be a sort of stepping stone for the "They" story line, done simply by it being a good match up.

I also agree with the fact a 3 way for the WHC is a bit ******ed... *lol*. I've never liked 3 way matches I prefer 1 on 1 or just a "fatal fourway" to make way for a heel turn and the like. But I hope the match is good and not simply a stepping stone for the "They" story line, it should add to the "They" storyline by being a good match =].

I am going to say what everyone else is saying here. I am ordering BFG for the "They" storyline. TNA's rep is on the line, they need to be awesome on the night.

But I do think that the 3 way will steal the show.

Kurt Angle is in the match. The match is a pay-per-view main event. The match is for the TNA Title. The Pay-Per-View we're talking about here is the company's biggest PPV. Again, Kurt Angle knows all of this. Therefore, it's impossible for the match to be a stinker because Kurt just won't let that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back