Any NJPW fans out there? Now Watching Monday's iPPV

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I'm currently watching Monday's "Kings of Pro Wrestling" event, which I believe was NJPW's first ever global iPPV. I've never seen a NJPW show in its entirety before. I've only seen a few matches here and there; mostly the iconic "greatest matches ever" from throughout the years.

What's good in NJPW? What's bad? How do you learn to ignore the flock of geese that are the bright green camera crew running around the ring all the time?

The announcers, although I can't understand anything they're saying, are definitely spirited! And I've always loved Japan's more reserved, polite crowd. If they cheer for you, you know you've done something right.

The first match was some kind of "return match" 6-man tag. Chairs were used, so I'm not sure if it was No DQ or if that's normal for NJPW. A guy named "Strong Man" looked very American, but I don't think I've ever seen him around even our independents. Looks like Steiner, if he had stopped juicing when he still looked good. I really had no idea what was going on in this match, who anybody was, and for a long time I couldn't even tell who was on who's team. Not their fault; I'm new to this.

Second match was good. I like this "Time Spliters" tag team between Alex Shelley and KUSHIDA. They were unsuccessful in their fight for the Jr. Heavyweight tag straps, but still a fun match.

And now my Thai food has just arrived, and I'm about ready to watch the Jr. Heavyweight title match between Kota Ibushi and Low Ki, which I've heard really good things about.

Low Ki def. Kota Ibushi to become the new IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion! Really fun match. I will say, Japanese "spot fest" matches are way more entertaining than WWE "spot fest" matches. Ibushi is a really talented wrestler, and I've always appreciated the style of Low Ki. I know he didn't even get off the ground in WWE, but he's a solid talent with some of the best footwork in the business.

Prince Devitt returned post-match to throw his name next in line for the title. That's a name I've heard a LOT around the proverbial water cooler.

Lance Archer and Davey Boy Smith Jr. make a really boring tag team. And their finisher is lame. If you can imagine Davey Boy getting the opponent up for a powerbomb, and Archer hitting an Edge-o-Matic at the same time...it's like that, but way less exciting.

It has a good card, and I read some reviews about the show itself and it looks like it can be their best show in a while. I for once am excited to watch puroresu, but I'll have to go with Low Ki vs. Ibushi, The Tag Team Champions with Harry Smith and Anderson vs Okada as my priorities. I have a feeling that NJPW will blow Okada's build to the top.

I prefer Lucha Libre. Mainly AAA. Fun as hell characters and are always over the top.

Low Ki vs Ibushi was a good match, but they screwed up the finish. Low Ki is a dangerous guy suplexing anybody from the top rope. I would use Low Ki ignoring Ibushi in the ring with his neck injury to further up the storyline.

Finally going to watch the main event. I took a break to watch a B-horror flick. Holy hell NJPW takes their World title matches seriously...

Low Ki def. Kota Ibushi to become the new IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion! Really fun match. I will say, Japanese "spot fest" matches are way more entertaining than WWE "spot fest" matches. Ibushi is a really talented wrestler, and I've always appreciated the style of Low Ki. I know he didn't even get off the ground in WWE, but he's a solid talent with some of the best footwork in the business.

Prince Devitt returned post-match to throw his name next in line for the title. That's a name I've heard a LOT around the proverbial water cooler.

Take it from someone whose name was inspired by the guy for about a year. Kota Ibushi is a fucking terrible wrestler who takes what Sly (and others) say about substituting athleticism for psychology and turns it up to 11. Very entertaining to watch, but there's nothing to him other than impressive spots. If he was ever put in an environment where he cant substitute psychology for stupidity he'd fail in a heartbeat.

I just watched the Main event, Suzoki vs Tanahashi.

Generally I'm not a fan of japanese wrestling I'd much rather watch AAA or CMLL.

I don't understand why people call this a 5 star match. The last 5 minutes were AWESOME but other than that it wasn't anything spectacular to me. It was ok, decent, good, but not 5 star!?

One thing I will say though is that these guys know how to do the submission stuff. The submissions holds are just on another level than in american wrestling. It looks sinister.

How do you learn to ignore the flock of geese that are the bright green camera crew running around the ring all the time?

You get used to them.

A guy named "Strong Man" looked very American, but I don't think I've ever seen him around even our independents.

He's worked mostly in Mexico and Japan.

And now my Thai food has just arrived, and I'm about ready to watch the Jr. Heavyweight title match between Kota Ibushi and Low Ki, which I've heard really good things about.

Their match from this past summer was better, IMO.

Dude, you're late.

-----

Jahmale Hepburn uploaded the matches on DM. I still gotta watch the last two:

1. Manabu Nakanishi Return Match: Manabu Nakanishi, Yuji Nagata & Strong Man vs. Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Tomohiro Ishii
[DM]xu7kyt[/DM]

2. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) vs. The Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
[DM]xu7l81[/DM]

3. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi vs. Low Ki
[DM]xu7lh8[/DM]

4. IWGP Tag Team Title: TenKoji (Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan) vs. Killer Elite Squad (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.)
[DM]xu7lry[/DM]

5. Tetsuya Naito vs. Yujiro Takahashi
[DM]xu7m17[/DM]

6. Togi Makabe & Wataru Inoue vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata
[DM]xu7m5b[/DM]

7. IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contendership in Tokyo Dome: Kazuchika Okada vs. Karl Anderson

[DM]xu7mek[/DM]

8. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Hirooki Goto

[DM]xu7mmw[/DM]

9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki
[DM]xu7mv8[/DM]

I watched the junior and Heavyweight title matches and they were great! That was pretty much the first puro i'd ever seen so i didnt know what to expect!

Man, that guy slapped the hell out of the other one, am I right?

Thanks for throwing up the links Bestia!

And THERES FUNAKI! Awesome!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back