• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Antonio Rocca vs Buddy Rogers: Who should have won?

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Well there was a match that might never have existed that had two men facing each other for the newly created World title of the WWWF. Antonio Rocca and Buddy Rogers faced off against each to determine who would be the face of the promotion.

The match never happened, but that is not the point. Rogers was given the win, and became the WWWF Champion. But he shouldn't have. Antonio Rocca is one of the best wrestlers of the era, while Rogers is one of the worst sportsmen in the history of Sports Entertainment. Rogers became a short lived champion. He refused to travel. He limited the company originally to keeping it stationed in New York. And he quit champion in a horrendous way.

I feel Rocca, a great wrestler, a great showman, and many would argue a great wrestler would have been the better choice. He was willing to travel. He drew people in. And as champion, she could have changed the face of wrestling decades before Shawn Michaels, ECW, or others would have, with his high flying moves.

Well, first of all in 1963 the WWWF was based out of the northeast. His unwillingness to travel was not an issue at all for the WWWF, since he was known for preferring working in the northeast during that era. It was more of an issue with the NWA promoters during his NWA title run as guys like Sam Munchnick were known to be quite angry at Rogers for being unwilling to come to the middle of the country (an area a McMahon wouldn't promote in for another 20 years).

As far as Rocca goes( by the way his first name is "Antonino"), he most definitely was still a hell of a showman, damn good worker, and a good draw, but he had been wrestling for 20 years at that point and was crossing the "past his prime" point (not to mention he had a bit of an up and down relationship with Toots Mondt).

I think Vince Sr. and Co. made the right decision. Being Buddy was most recently the NWA Champion it gave this new title legitimacy. Plus, he was a short-term champion. He was champ for a little over a month before dropping the belt to Bruno Sammartino, who the northeast fans adored ( I really can't emphasize that enough- there were people who probably would've taken a bullet for da Brune). Sammartino was such an impressive draw he kept the belt for seven years. As good as Rocca was, I don't think even he could've carried the ball as well as Bruno.

Lastly, I would like to say a few things about Buddy. Anybody who is familiar with Herman Rhodes' back story knows he was a schemer who could be difficult to trust. Also, when he became the first WWWF champion its not a stretch to say his best performances were behind him. However, overall as a performer he was stellar. What he lacked in in-ring ability he more than made up for with charisma. With his bleach blonde walks, strut, and mic work he set a template for wrestling heels that still exerts its influence in the contemporary wrestling landscape.

So I must respectfully disagree and say: "To a nicer guy, it couldn't have happened."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back