• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Angle the Sting of TNA?

TNA cross the line

Pre-Show Stalwart
With Immortal slowly but surely taking control in the storylines i see sort of connection to 96-97 Sting vs Nwo, we have only seen Angle twice since BFG (idk about Turning Point didnt see it and didnt read anything about him in the results) With the JJ assalt and then a couple weeks later bashing in the windows of EB and Flairs car. Is TNA trying to recapture the essence of Stings random pop ups and beat downs of the NWO in 97 with Kurt now? Do you think this could work and where would they go with it?

I would not be surprised at all to see TNA go with something similar to the Sting storyline. It worked then and I think it would work now.

Plus, with only showing up for random appearances, it would help Kurt recover from any nagging injuries he has (and we know he always works injured). It would help to keep him healthy and fresh and when he does get into the ring, he will be at 100%.

People love Kurt Angle and would want to see him take down the heel faction, just as in WCW the fans rallied behind Sting in his campaign to destroy the nWo. With both Hogan and Sting in TNA now, as well as Bischoff who was in charge of WCW at the time of the original storyline, I think it is defiantely a possibility that we will see a 2010-11 version of the storyline in TNA, which although would be a re-hash, it was nearly 15 years ago, so I think its ok for TNA to go down this route. It would be something that hasnt been seen on TV for a long while

I can see your point, and Angle may be the best choice to destroy the Immortals but you're missing three points that made Sting cool with the WCW vs. NWO storyline:

1. The NWO was truly not just a regime, but was diametrically opposed to WCW. True, Bischoff had the power like he does now, but the ENTIRE COMPANY of WCW hated the NWO no matter what side they were on, and every wrestler in WCW at one point or another had to deal with them. So far, in the Immortals storyline, only the main event faces are involved. No one in TNA cares that Hogan and Bischoff took over except RVD, EV2, The Pope, Morgan, Anderson, Joe, and Angle. The NWO wanted all the belts in WCW; no one on the Immortals cares about any belt except the TNA World Title. Remember that Sting was WCW's last hope, and the only man people thought could truly beat Hogan, and that's huge considering how big WCW was.

2. Sting was neutral for a long time. Unlike Angle, whom we already know is against the Immortals, Sting simply watched from the sidelines as WCW and NWO took each other apart and only intervened once in a while, and his bat found its way to strike both sides until almost a year later when he named Hogan. The mystique was that the fans WANTED Sting to fight Hogan, but he never chose a side openly until the end.

3. Sting vs. Hogan at the time was never done, not even in the minor leagues, so the match-up was fresh and new. Angle vs. Hardy has been done, and even though there was never an official winner (which TNA can play up), it doesn't have the appeal of "first time ever!"

With Bischoff in charges I can see something like this happening for sure, hes doing all he can to be the man he was back in 96-97 when he was looked at as one of the smartest men in wrestling. Personally I thought that the Sting angle went on too long back in WCW, it was just short of a year and a half, it worked though, we were all dying to see Sting when he finally made his return but I think the same thing can be done in just at a years time. With Bischoff in charge now I think we will see a lot of old WCW angles in the near future...

I don't think Kurt Angle is going to be doing something that has already been done back in the WCW days. Sting needed that gimmick and the mystique of doing random run-in's and what not because the times were changing, the company was changing, society as a whole was changing, and Sting's in-ring talents were decreasing in a large margin.

Kurt Angle right now is at a stand-still with his in-ring talents, he has a huge fan base, he has a ton of stories and angles to build himself on so he won't have to do a gimmick change and so he won't have to become a re-hash of a nostalgic angle that wouldn't even work during this era, and Kurt Angle is a wrestler. Sting's a sports entertainer. There's a big difference.

I see Angle bringing in what we love about UFC and MMA television. The seriousness of a regular human being wanting to make a name for himself and having a love for competition, with a little dose of hatred for the people that screwed him over. Why do a huge angle and elaborate "I'm gonna' take down everyone from Immortal!" story? How about, let the guy compete, feud with the man who fired him and damn near broke his neck, and put on a good show?

Sometimes the IWC should really just shut their mouths. You guys think too much about certain shit.

Even though the focal point on who the Immortal-Fortune has been facing so far is Rob Van Dam, Kurt Angle, Mr. Anderson, Sting, Samoa Joe, Pope D'Angelo Dinero, Kevin Nash, and EV 2.0. Let's see Angle, Sting, and Nash is no longer with us for now. Angle should stay away until the end of 2010 and slowly start appearing back onto TNA programming which will give him to rest and heal. Lets face it he needs it so badly and this way give some other guys to at least fight the Immortal-Fortune as long as they keep each wrestler from the group seperate. Not having any Jeff Jarrett, Jeff Hardy, or Abyss team up with any Fortune members that goes the same way. They can help each other in brawls or beat downs or in ring and backstage segments sure why not. In matches keep the group distance. This way instead of having one big major stable you can have two minor ones.

Sooner or later AJ would want a shot at the World Title and so will Jeff Jarrett and Abyss. Having the group seperate battles but of course watching each other backs from the sidelines would be better then having them in matches in other way. At least for now.

I like the storyline when Kurt comes back which should be by Dixie or someone in the company considering he never really lost the match since Anderson got pinned. I know lost is a lost but I would find a leaphole saying since Kurt actually didn't get pin he is reinstated to the company as of January 2011. For now until then maybe in mid december start leaving clues like gold medals instead of baseball bat or even his attire or entrance playing different times.

Which this could lead into a match with Immortal (Jeff Hardy, Jeff Jarrett, and Abyss) against Team Angle (Kurt Angle, Shelton Benjiman, and Charlie Haas). We all want this to happen and I see why not.! I would rather have this then Hardyz back together and I'm a huge Hardyz fan. Jarrett can barely go anymore with Abyss has both Hardy and jarrett bodygaurd why not use him to be his tag team partner time to time. It's not like he hasn't been the dirty one in the group. He is playing a monster gimmick. So use it!! While this is going on Kurt wants the title of course but he doesn't get it which then leads Team Angle into a feud with Fortune which hopefully they still are around. I can see Kurt winning the TV title before winning the World Title and as long as Beer Money is in the group why not bring in Kurts boys to lend a hand.

Once the tag team and six man tag team matches are all done and over. Kurt ends up losing the tv title and his alone of course cause Team Angle has moved on to the tag titles. WHoever is the World Champion by this time which should be at least around JUne or September before Kurt gets another title shot anyways. He finally wins it thats the way and I hope tna look at it. Can you imagine hardy being a heel for a year. Nobody thought Sting would in MEM and that lasted awhile as well.

TNA got the right people for this storyline depends if they look at it long haul instead something short just for the time being.

Back on the subject who should TNA get to face Immortal-Fortune until Kurt and Anderson return?

I think we can all agree that EV 2 needs to be done and over with. It leaves us with Rob Van Dam, Samoa Joe, Pope D’Angelo Dinero, Tommy Dreamer, Mick Foley, Orlando Jordan, Raven, Rhino, Stevie Richards, Jay Lethal, Brian Kendrick, Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, and maybe Matt Morgan depeends on what side he is actually on.

Immortal (Hulk Hogan (leader/mouth piece), Eric Bischoff (gm role/mouth piece), Jeff Jarrett, Jeff Hardy, and Abyss)
Fortune (Ric Flair (leader/manager/mouth piece), AJ Styles, Douglas Williams, James Storm, Kazarian, Robert Roode, and Matt Morgan*)

Right now TNA doesn't look to good and Anderson will be back before Kurt and some of the matches have been done but once Team Angle appears with Kurt things will change and fans will be behind Kurt and the matches will be special again.

I can't think of anyone thats a free agent that TNA should go after to bring into the Immortal-Fortune storyline to help TNA side. If EV 2 split them do things without back up or let them roam free to get revenge then it might go better but when they are together people don't like them.

Immortal-Fortune....................TNA Alliance

Eric Bischoff.......................Dixie Carter
Hulk Hogan..........................Mick Foley or Kevin Nash or Tommy Dreamer
Ric Flair...........................Mick Foley or Sting or Kevin Nash
Jeff Hardy (c)......................Mr. Anderson or Rob Van Dam
Jeff Jarrett........................Samoa Joe or Mr. Anderson or Rhino
AJ Styles (c).......................Pope D'Angelo Dinero or Rob Van Dam or Jay Lethal
Abyss (bodygaurd/enforcer)..........Samoa Joe or Matt Morgan or Rhino
Beer Money Inc. (Storm and Roode)...Team Angel (Benjiman and Haas) or MCMG
Kazarian............................Pope D'Angelo Dinero or Samoa Joe or Matt Morgan or Rhino or Jay Lethal
Douglas Williams....................Pope D'Angelo Dinero or Samoa Joe or Matt Morgan or Rhino or Jay Lethal

I hope not, even though Im a big fan of angle. TNA needs someone new for this role. Anderson or pope are the only 2 that are potentially fit for this because they can be tweeners that wipe them out. However what they need is a special weapon for them to do so. cause that what makes it more interesting.

I would pick pope and his weapon is a.... pimp stick (google it if ur wondering). He has the charisma, the mic skills, the "it", and very close in ring to what is needed, just adding more of this brawler feel to his gimmick would work perfectly.

I agree that a sting-like storyline like this is going to take place over the next year or so. The only thing i cant agree on is it being Angle. The whole reason why the Sting angle worked besides being a great storyline was Stings mystique. If he was coming out as the blade runner sting it wouldn't of had half of the appeal he did as the Crow Sting. With said said can anyone picture Kurt coming back with a new gimmicky persona. Even he he didn't would his current ring attire instill the same image. I love Kurt but I think not.

I agree with "The Viper Orton" on his choice. The Pope already has that mystique\about him with his current ring attire. All he needs is to be put in the right storyline which already be to late since he has already made his stance on immortal quite clear.

To make the Pope work in this case i would have Immortal destroy him pretty soon. Get him off television for a while and in the mean time do backstage segments where members of immortal are laid out(maybe do the Ace of Spades thing that never really got explained a few months ago). Bring him back as the guy who doesn't have any friends(I mean he cant even technically trust his own brother anymore after turning point). Have immortal try to get the Pope to join there cause because Anderson by then should be the main threat to the title/immortal and Pope/Anderson already don't trust each other. Have Pope attack both sides until eventually Pope makes his stance clear that he is against immortal.

But really if he could heal up in time and could still go they should just get Sting back to do it...If your rehashing one idea with the same people might as well do another one with the same person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back