Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort

jmt225

Global Moderator
Los Angeles Times writer Lance Pugmire with the early-weekend bombshell: Dana White told Pugmire that he’s gotten verbal commitments from both Vitor Belfort and Anderson Silva for the two to face off in honor of Silva’s middleweight title in Las Vegas on Jan. 2.

It’s a big fight for a big holiday weekend, and Belfort may be the most compelling style match for the champion in the UFC to date -- but it comes at the expense of both Nate Marquardt and Dan Henderson, who have both been toiling in pursuit of another shot at Silva. Marquardt told Real Fighter magazine this week it would be ”messed up” if Belfort leapfrogged over him, “but whatever. I’ll probably end up fighting all three of those guys one day anyway. … I’ll be happy if they give me Henderson.”

Belfort may not be the rightful crusader here (though he did finish Rich Franklin when Henderson couldn’t), but if he’s on his game and swollen with the kind of humility/quiet confidence cocktail that’s gotten him past Matt Lindland and very nearly into a fight with Fedor Emelianenko, he might make something out of it.

Well, the scenario I think everyone wanted is going down. Thoughts? Are you excited, or do you feel Vitor isn't worthy of a Title shot just yet?

Personally, I'm stoked about this, and I do think Vitor deserves the shot more than any other Middleweight. I mean, both Dan Henderson and Nate Marquardt have had their shots at Anderson Silva, and both got destroyed. And since then, they haven't done anything that impressive that warrants a title shot, in my opinion. Henderson beat a can, barely beat Rich Franklin in a fight I personally thought Franklin won, and beat Michael Bisping in a fight where all he did was throw overhand right after overhand right. And Marquardt.... well, let's see. He lost to Thales Leites, beat a Welterweight, barely beat Wilson Gouveia, and knocked out someone with zero stand-up. Not impressed with either individual in the least bit.

Vitor Belfort, on the other hand is on a 5 fight win streak, and defeated Rich Franklin, one of the best well-rounded fighters in the World in my opinion, in only two minutes. Yeah... I'd say he's deserving of this shot, and more so than any other Middleweight.

As far as the fight itself... I think it's going to be awesome. It might get off to a slow start since Anderson is a counter striker, and Vitor has become MUCH more patient in his style, but once the action picks up... oh man are we in for a treat. I'm going to have to ponder about it before I can make a prediction, but the only thing for sure right now is that 2010 for MMA/UFC is going to get off to a marvelous start.

Great, great news. After seeing Vitor's performance against Rich Franklin, it looks like he hasn't lost a step since his last fight and I think he'd give Silva one of the toughest fights he's had in a while. But with Silva seemingly set on quieting any of his critics with fiery performances, I don't think Belfort will end up winning. Personally I'll be rooting for him though. We have to wait until 2010 to see this fight JMT? Well fuck. Definitely my most anticipated upcoming fight then. That and the BJ Penn-Diego Sanchez fight.

I couldn't be more excited for this fight. I am not a fan of Anderson Silva's at all but I am a HUGE Vitor Belfort fan. I think to be fair he should have had at least one more fight but I understand that the UFC needs some fresh blood challenging Anderson opposed to Hendo or Marquardt getting another shot. Vitors hands are so fast that I truly believe he can beat Silva. As long as a phenomenal Vitor shows up to fight and not the head case one I fully expect Vitor to beat the great Anderson Silva and end his run.

Well I will tell you this I am buying this fight and I can not wait if anyone in the middle weight division should get a title shot its Vitor. I think Vitor is the guy most likely to beat Anderson but he won't beat him. Silva is just to damn good and Vitor is going down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back