...And So It Started Today, In 1984

Midnite Express 2009

Getting Noticed By Management
Today is a landmark day in the history of professional wrestling, er ah, sports entertainment. In fact, if you go to the History Channel's website and look on their "This Day In History" link, in the sports section, there's a mention of just how important today is in wrestling history. For those of you who weren't born yet, or even for those who may not fully be aware of how important today is, today is the day that Hulk Hogan walked through the hallways of Madison Square Garden, out to the ring and proceeded to carve out a legacy that may never be matched again, and in the process of defeating The Iron Shiek for his 1st (and maybe his most successful) World Title Reign, helped to usher in what we now enjoy (and sometimes do not enjoy) today.

So I have a quick question: How BIG of an impact did that night on January 23, 1984 have in wrestling? Would wrestling even be the same if it were not for the vision of Vince McMahon and the execution of Hulk Hogan? Please share your thoughts on both that night/match and the overall impact. I don't necessarily mean the shell of his former self of Hulk Hogan now, but just what that match meant to where wrestling is now. Thanks.

This was an important day but it was what happened almost exactly one year later when WWE teamed up with MTV to do "The War to Settle the Score".

That night was the pre-cursor to the most important day in history.

This day is almost as important as Starrcade when Piper vs Valentine just because when Piper arrived in WWE he couldn't work right away so it allowed them to build toward "The War to Settle the Score".

January 23rd 1984 was an important day but until they teamed up with MTV, wrestling was still the same with or without Hogan winning the belt.

Today Is a great anniversary of the greatest attraction in Sports Entertainment history the birth of Hulkamania. That day when Terry Bollea aka Hulk Hogan defeated the Iron Sheik for the WWWF title It was a start in the Rock n Roll era of wrestling. It was also the beginning of the End for all the smaller teritories that shortly after was put out of commision by the Hulkamania Machine. People that today only knows the Attitude era and the Pg era dont realise the Impact of what Hulk Hogan as the figure head and Vince Mcmahon jr and the brains of the machine made what was wrestling in to the entertainment global empire that we have today.

So on the behalf of my self and My family we wish Hulkamania a very happy Birthday.

Technically, Hulkamania was NOT a phrase 1st used by Vince and the WWF, it started in the AWA. With that being said, I agree with the beginning of the end of the territorial system. No one could have seen then (except those in perhaps Vince's inner circle) what was to come. In retrospect I don't even think Hogan thought it'd go this far. I think we're all glad for it in one way or another, no matter how annoying the man, Hulk Hogan can be. But nevertheless, it is a good footnote today. I wonder if WWE will even make a small, slight mention tonight on Raw.

I don't think that night was as important as Wrestlemania III. Andre The Giant doesn't get the credit he deserves for pushing Hulkamania through the roof that night. Take Andre out of the equation, and Hulkamania wouldn't have been that big of a deal. The way pro wrestling exploded in the late 80's through 1992 can all be traced back to Wrestlemania III. Hogan beating Andre at that event made him an american icon for the next 5 years. Without Andre, Hogan's popularity would have fizzled out around 88-89 in my opinion.

So my answer is no. I don't think Hogan winning the belt from the Shiek was that big of a deal historically. Not as big of a deal as Wrestlemania III.

I don't think that night was as important as Wrestlemania III. Andre The Giant doesn't get the credit he deserves for pushing Hulkamania through the roof that night. Take Andre out of the equation, and Hulkamania wouldn't have been that big of a deal. The way pro wrestling exploded in the late 80's through 1992 can all be traced back to Wrestlemania III. Hogan beating Andre at that event made him an american icon for the next 5 years. Without Andre, Hogan's popularity would have fizzled out around 88-89 in my opinion.

So my answer is no. I don't think Hogan winning the belt from the Shiek was that big of a deal historically. Not as big of a deal as Wrestlemania III.

I love Andre The Giant and I love WM3. However, I think Andre is actually given too much credit in the success of Hulkamania. Everyone seems to view WM3 as some sort of torch passing event from Andre to Hogan. The reality is Andre never had the torch in the first place. Hogan was already extremely popular before the feud with Andre. He had already been champion for three years. He was already a big name in pop culture. He had already hosted Saturday Night Live. He was already on the cover of Sports Illustrated. He already had his own cartoon show. He already drew around 70,000 fans to Toronto's Exhibiton Stadium against Paul Orndorff and was selling out arenas all over the country. He was already a merchandising cash cow. Hulkamania was already alive and well. I would say wrestling was probably more popular during 1984-1986 than it was during 1988-1990.

I do recognize the importance of Hogan vs. Andre at WM3. It was obviously a historic event and Hogan's most famous feud. Hogan vs. Andre didn't push Hulkamania through the roof though. It pushed WrestleMania through the roof. Take Andre out of the equation and Hulkamania would have still been a big deal but WrestleMania may not have been.

I love Andre The Giant and I love WM3. However, I think Andre is actually given too much credit in the success of Hulkamania. Everyone seems to view WM3 as some sort of torch passing event from Andre to Hogan. The reality is Andre never had the torch in the first place. Hogan was already extremely popular before the feud with Andre. He had already been champion for three years. He was already a big name in pop culture. He had already hosted Saturday Night Live. He was already on the cover of Sports Illustrated. He already had his own cartoon show. He already drew around 70,000 fans to Toronto's Exhibiton Stadium against Paul Orndorff and was selling out arenas all over the country. He was already a merchandising cash cow. Hulkamania was already alive and well. I would say wrestling was probably more popular during 1984-1986 than it was during 1988-1990.

I do recognize the importance of Hogan vs. Andre at WM3. It was obviously a historic event and Hogan's most famous feud. Hogan vs. Andre didn't push Hulkamania through the roof though. It pushed WrestleMania through the roof. Take Andre out of the equation and Hulkamania would have still been a big deal but WrestleMania may not have been.
I agree 100%! Hogan/Andre put WrestleMania through the roof. Hogan winning the title was a historic moment. It started it all. Before Mania 3, Hogan's popularity was already skyrocketed. The slam was an iconic Mania moment that just solidified how big Hogan was.

This was an important day but it was what happened almost exactly one year later when WWE teamed up with MTV to do "The War to Settle the Score".

That night was the pre-cursor to the most important day in history.

This day is almost as important as Starrcade when Piper vs Valentine just because when Piper arrived in WWE he couldn't work right away so it allowed them to build toward "The War to Settle the Score".

January 23rd 1984 was an important day but until they teamed up with MTV, wrestling was still the same with or without Hogan winning the belt.

I couldn't agree with this more. Without MTV and the Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection Wrestlemania would not have been as big and Hogan would have eventually faded. It put the WWF and Hogan on the map.

As far as the torch passing between Andre and Hogan goes it was more of a backstage thing. Andre was still King until he put Hogan over and stepped aside. NO ONE told Andre what to do backstage. You asked and if he felt like cooperating he did. Hell Vince and Hulk didn't know if Andre was going to play nice at WMIII. Andre helped cement Hulkamania and Wrestlemania but at that point Brain is right in that Hogan was already over.

Damn I miss Andre :sad:

This was a huge day in wrestling. Without Hulkamania and then the Rock and Wrestling era WWE would not be what it is today. I was a huge Hulkamaniac as a kid, and actually hogan was my first taste of wrestling. I think Andre was part of it later on, but Hogan was really big before Andre, and probably would have been just as big without him. I loved Andre to by the way. This was a great day for the WWE. I know I posted this late, but since Hogan was my favorite as a kid I wanted to comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back