• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

American Horror Story

Kenny Powers

Bulletproof Tiger
AMERICAN HORROR STORY

American Horror Story revolves around the Harmons, a family of three who moved from Boston to Los Angeles as a means to reconcile past anguish. The all-star cast features Dylan McDermott as “Ben Harmon,” a psychiatrist; Connie Britton as “Vivien Harmon,” Ben’s wife; Taissa Farmiga as “Violet,” the Harmon’s teenage daughter; Jessica Lange in her first-ever regular series TV role as “Constance,” the Harmon’s neighbor; Evan Peters plays “Tate Langdon,” one of Ben’s patients; and Denis O’Hare as “Larry Harvey.” Guest stars for the series include Frances Conroy as the Harmon’s housekeeper; Alexandra Breckenridge as the Harmon’s housekeeper; and Jamie Brewer as Constance’s daughter.

The pilot episode of American Horror Story, shot in Los Angeles, was written by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, and it was directed by Murphy. In addition to Murphy and Falchuk, Dante Di Loreto will also serve as Executive Producer of the series. American Horror Story is produced by Twentieth Century Fox Television.

bg-aboutPhoto.png

Has anyone watched this new season yet? It has been on two weeks and is very creepy show. There isn't one character you feel sympathetic towards, and it seems like a television series version of The Shinning. There is always murder and evil spirits running rampant in a Los Angeles house a new family moved into. It is pretty graphic at times. I still don't know what to think about the show but it does keep me entertained to come back each week.

I saw an advert for this on tv the other night but I had my sound muted for something and thought it was a television series for The Amityville Horror. I think it's due out here in the UK for Halloween so I will give it a shot once it comes on as it looks pretty nerve-jangling and Connie Britton is awesome in Friday Night Lights.

I have not seen it yet but I really want to, as soon as I get the sound on my computer fixed up I'm going to watch it on FX's website. I saw the ads while watching Xmen Origins:Wolverine the other day and was definitely interested but not sure if it was worth throwing in my crowded wednesday tv night alonside The Ultimate Fighter, South Park and Psych. Then I went to dinner with some friends from my movie theatre job and some how we got on the subject of this show, both of my friends I was with have been watching and said that it is a VERY weird show but it's really good. Hopefully I will be able to watch today but I must say that from what i've seen in commercials and what I've heard about it I definitely want to make this my new show.

So I've gotten caught up on AHS, and the show is definitely unique but I can't tell what I think of it. The show has a great story and I love how in each episode we get a look into the past of the house and the things that happened with the previous owners, but it seems to have less scary/thriller moments and more just random bad things happening and people getting super stressed.

But like Kenny, even though it is a very creepy show I find myself being drawn to it and I am definitely invested in it now and I want to know the secrets of the past of the house and how the Harmons fare.

The best part about the show is the characters, each one has a very deep back story and I find all of them to be very interesting. If there's one person I feel bad for it's the housekeeper, even though she's no angel it seems as though in the beginning she was forced into the situation and she really has remorse and wants to get away from the house and whatever sick, strange things that go on in the house.

Definitely interested in what's going to happen next, and I'll wade through the blood, guts and creepiness of the show to find out what's behind everything. If you can't take a very heavy show with alot of akward creepiness and blood then do not watch this show, otherwise enjoy.

This show is a pile of shit, I caught the first episode, & most of the one from this past week, so I feel I gave it a fair enough chance to hook me. Nothing about this show is interesting at all, in fact it's just fucking boring. I can't beleive Fox passed on Locke & Key after the pilot was praised by critics, fox executives, & pretty much anyone else who watched it, yet they green light crap like this & that fucking Terra Nova.

American Horror Story is both the worst and most interesting show on new television right now. I think it's better to break it down rather than just do this by paragraphs.

Pros:
1.) It's addicting. Every wednesday around 8:00, I'm just waiting for the clock to hit 10:00. The show raises enough questions each week that I want to be answered. I do fear that that won't continue

2.) It's campy. I'm a sucker for of horror movies so seeing little references and hints to past work is great. It follows a great formula.

3.) Jessica Lange. Steals the show every times she's on screen

Cons:
1.) Editing: The show simply moves to fast and is really clumsy because of it. I was counting the shot changes in a simple dialogue exchange and even Michael Bay would stop and say "you're going to fast". Also there's their sound editing. Sometimes the music is so LOUD you can barely hear whats the hell these people are talking about.

2.) Unintentionally funny: I laugh or at least chuckle more than I'm scared. The shows actually not horrifying at all. When ever somebody jumps out I giggle because of the manner in which it's done.

3.) Not scary: Like I just said, this show is as scary as Mad Men ( I was thinking of saying Breaking Bad but that show builds proper suspense). Except Mad Men knows proper story structure. AHS can't make up its mind if it wants to jump out and yell "boo" or stalk you in the dark. The scares and mood change so sporadically that I sigh and roll my eyes because of it.

4.) Crappy story structure: Again like I said before, AHS can't pick one plot point and build on it. It adds new things while throwing out ones that the audience is just starting to get into.

5.) Ryan Murphy: They guy likes the odd and weird but doesn't know how to scare people. At most he'll get the audience to raise their eyebrows in slight confusion and a small amount of interest. Then that interest is replaced with more confusion.

So AHS is a bust. It's a terrible show that has the appealing affects of a drug. However most people enjoy their drugs for a while before it's hobby. I'm not really enjoying AHS as much I'm not ready to give up on it. After watching the third episode I'm already sick of the show. However I'll keep watching. Really more because my housemates love the show (they don't watch a lot of variety in movies or TV so they think it's widely interesting because it's new). I'm also curious to see how the wrap up the season. The thing is with a haunted house, what happens when you leave? Are we going to follow this family to a new haunted house or the house get a new family/cast? I'm quite sure they'll get the second season to realize they can't continue such a insane story.

I have no idea how to rate it on any scale but let's just say theres more bad than good here.

I don't know why, but I really enjoy this show. Then again I love really campy shit anyways. It's not really scary, I don't really care for the actors, but god dammit if I am not entertained enough to keep coming back to watch each week. It's almost like wrestling...almost.

I like this show as well, missed the past 3 episodes so I`ll have to catch up on demand.
Can someone tell me if that is Eli Roth as one of the gay guys?

I like this show as well, missed the past 3 episodes so I`ll have to catch up on demand.
Can someone tell me if that is Eli Roth as one of the gay guys?

Nope. Its Zachary Quinto. Played Spock in the latest Star Trek incarnation & was Sylar in Heroes. (Which he was bad ass in ,btw.)

The show lost my interest after the 1st episode. Then a buddy of mine told me how good it was- so I gave it another chance. Havent been disappointed ever since. It has its campy\tongue in cheek moments, but is a good show with a huge back story yet to be unraveled. Plus a great cast & the younger version of the maid is hot. Creepy show, but not downright scary.

Give it a few episodes before you decide for yourself.

most well written, well acted and flat-out groundbreaking shows that the small screen has ever witnessed. In the first season we witnessed a wave of emotional ties to the residents, we got aquatinted with the spooktacular "Murder House" and we saw a basic cable television show push all the boundaries. Yes ,the Harmon family left a lasting impression that had non-horror fans on board in droves making it one of the most talked about "water cooler" discussions in recent memory.

Dylan McDermott, Connie Britton, Evan Peters (Tate), Taissa Farmiga and possibly the greatest character of the show in my humble opinion Jessica Lange brought everything to the table creating one of the most atmospheric tales that I had ever witnessed. Ryan Murphy, and Brad Falchuk created a show that kept your interest in every episode over its 12 hour long span with the finale ringing in at an hour and a half, leaving mouths open and questions unanswered.

5v39sp.jpg

With a story involving hauntings from both past and present we witnessed the death and rebirth of many characters as we watched the once happy Harmon family slowly be picked apart by the curse that is the "Murder House" itself. By borrowing bits and pieces from other epic films such as THE SHINNING, ROSEMARY'S BABY, INSIDIOUS and a host of others the creators crafted and weaved a tapestry of mind-bending, plot driven stories that all were neatly wrapped into one truly twisted AMERICAN HORROR STORY.

What does the future hold you ask? Well, we know at this point that the series creators will be leaving the tried and true house and family only to move away to a different location and add a new tale that is sure to be as spine chilling as season one. While no one in television history has been this balsy, and for good reason, they are going to do chapters each season that will involve new characters and new scenarios. Why get rid of the golden egg? Why leave the famous "Murder House"? Why get rid of such a terrific cast? Well it takes balls and the show itself proved that they are willing to do whatever it takes to push the limits and I have faith that we are in good hands. Needless to say, I am along for the ride and have been since I watched the pilot episode.

21ox1rr.jpg

Will characters make cameos in the future? One would think so but who knows what the future holds. Many great minds have thought of this "multiple chapter" idea in the past, most notably John Carpenter who wanted to make the HALLOWEEN series of films take place every year on Halloween and involve and new series of events, each being completely different than before. Now you can argue that we wouldn't have had the great Michael Myers that has become an icon but you can't deny that it isn't an intriguing idea. TRICK 'R TREAT created by Michael Daughtery was going to be another ongoing story year to year but we all know how the studio backed out on that. I applaud the "grapefruits" it must take to pull or try to pull this off and in my heart of hearts I truly think it will work.

Regardless of your thoughts on the show, what a fantastic thing it did for horror. Horror being talked about by non-horror fans is one of the most rewarding things to hear and AMERICAN HORROR STORY was on the tips of everyones tongue after an episode aired. I think AMERICAN HORROR STORY has done more for our genre than any film has in the past decade. If horror continues to be treated like this, television may very well be the new staple for fledgling Hollywood producers and directors to take an idea that might not work on the big screen and pull in a fan-base like AMERICAN HORROR STORY did.

a1o215.jpg

Here is to the future and a thanks to the past. What a ride it was and like any good haunted house we got to see the ups and downs, we got to see evil and good, we witnessed lives torn apart and piece back together again. We also witnessed the birth of the "anti-Christ". How can you end a show any better? I for one can't wait until next season to see exactly whats in store as we AMERICAN'S have plenty more HORROR STORIES to be told!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back