• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Am I wrong?

Steve Rogers

Occasional Pre-Show
Okay so I was wondering to myself on a congested 45 minute ride home from watching the fire works, "Am I am wrong for feeling this way"

So here is the scenario. I am watching fireworks here in Virginia at the Downtown area which is divided between it and Waterside. Yet despite these 2 splits, each area is PACKED with spectators. Understandable though, as this area between it and VaBeach are, and always have been they most popular spots to watch the firework display for going on years now.

Now the night was flawless, hands down the best crowd to ever show up between attendance, and attitude. The display was beautiful, I brought my girlfriends sister along who usually bugs me, but was nothing short of perfect the whole time. We picked an excellent spot to watch . The display starts at a slightly different area then told so people pour to where I was sitting, I mean in the high hundreds, possibly thousands and yet I had not a single gripe till someone decides to light up a cigarette, with no exaggeration maybe 40 people with in 10 feet surrounding him.

Kids, babies, and older people are all surrounding him. People starting to cough noticeably, and few grumbles yet the guy keeps puffing away. I was not to bothered outside of the fact my eyes burn around cigarette smoke.

Night ends without a hitch. No one complained about said smoker. Yet on the drive home I thought about it and it reminded of a time when the annual sand soccer tournament was going down, and in a similar fashion someone lit up with tons of people around him trying to watch a game.

Am I wrong for feeling that is just rude. Should I not be feeling that he should think of those around him , and that this is not a damn bar. Do I sound elitist for feeling this way? Am I wrong, should I accept its his freedom to do what he pleases?

PS: On a side not I am not a smoker never have, never will be. I have no sob stories about why I do not do it. Just never wanted to. I also do not mean this to be a "Is tobacco good, blah blah blah" topic, as I truly hate fighting or debating, especially over the internet. Just wondering if I am wrong for feeling annoyed.

They really need to be considerate about the people around them. I'd never smoke around kids -- I regret doing so during a field trip to a renaissance festival when other schools and families were there. A bunch of us were leaving at the same time walking through a road leading to the parking area. I noticed a family with kids looking at me and my friend lighting our cigarettes and could tell they were uncomfortable. I put it out after two puffs cuz it was like an exodus with lotsa people and, well, you get the idea. I felt bad.

You probably shoulda asked the smoker if they could smoke away from the crowd. Oh well.

Doesn't make you an elitist, but when you're addicted to nicotine, and NEED a smoke, then you don't think about it. I, for example, will not think twice about lighting up right outside the Church doors on the occasions I go to Mass, or even as I leave a hockey game. It's not that we're being inconsiderate, but our bodies are SCREAMING for that fix, and fuck with us till we give in.

Still, the guy should have lit up, and quickly moved away from the crowd, to avoid burning a kid, or accidentally hitting somebody with a lit cigarette when he tossed it.

Nope, he shouldn't have lit up in a huge crowd, and waited. No offense to smokers... I've felt what its like to be addicted to something/anything, not even talking about smoking here, and I can control my urges or simply be able to cut something off cold turkey. I'm sure that just be a mental trait I have and not everyone has this self control but... you should be in the least bit considerate to your surroundings.

You should have ripped a huge fart and been all "Sorry, I didn't think anyone would mind" and then just fucking deadpan stare at the smoker.

I will admit, I'm one of the worst people to go to an outdoor concert with. I'll light up, in the Lawn Section at Riverbend, and not bat an eye. However, if somebody physically steps up and says something, I will either move away, or hot box that shit and drop it. Just as I respect other people, I expect people to respect me. SAY SOMETHING, and don't be passive aggressive about it. Nothing worse than a Passive-Aggressive asshole.

I will admit, I'm one of the worst people to go to an outdoor concert with. I'll light up, in the Lawn Section at Riverbend, and not bat an eye. However, if somebody physically steps up and says something, I will either move away, or hot box that shit and drop it. Just as I respect other people, I expect people to respect me. SAY SOMETHING, and don't be passive aggressive about it. Nothing worse than a Passive-Aggressive asshole.

See, see, this is funny, because you're Dewey Anderson.

See, see, this is funny, because you're Dewey Anderson.

This a dig at me, Charlie? Yes, I post hateful things on FB, but I also say that shit aloud, at work, to customers.

Edit: Shit, I just realized. The whole Asshole/Anderson gimmick that's going on right now.

They're killing the people around them with their vice. You have every reason to be angry.

Wow really? I was expecting at least one "get over it, we can smoke where we want" speech.
Usually you would from me, but there were small children present, and a careless smoker in a crowd can accidentally burn them.
They're killing the people around them with their vice. You have every reason to be angry.

And until it becomes a crime, I will continue "killing" people with my vice. Trust me, I'll die of lung cancer long before they realize they even have it. That is, if I get stricken with cancer.

I think someone should have told him the smoke was bothering them. He had no idea he was in the wrong, like Dewey said, smokers don't realize they're bothering someone unless you speak up.

The next time I'm stuck walking behind a group of smokers on campus, I'm running them over with my feet. That'll make Dewey think twice about his ass-hatted attitude.

I'm a casual smoker myself and I hate it when people light up around me. I don't like smoking in front of anyone. I usually wait till I get home and if I cant then I just go to a private area outside to smoke. Nothing is worst then unwelcome second hand smoke from someone when you are just trying to enjoy your day. You have every right to be angry. There are laws that prohibit people from not only smoking indoors but smoking outside in public places. There are designated smoking areas for people.

Even if there weren't designated smoking areas, it's just plain rude to smoke in front of families and children.

Why the fuck should it matter where I smoke. If it's outside. I dont give a flying fuck. I'm gonna smoke when I want, as much as I want.

Warning: Talking to me about smoking will be hazardous to your health.

I just ate a pot of jam with my fingers.My fingers are sticky but i dont care cos i love jam.

Why the fuck should it matter where I smoke. If it's outside. I dont give a flying fuck. I'm gonna smoke when I want, as much as I want.

Warning: Talking to me about smoking will be hazardous to your health.

Something tells me bravery like that would not be seen around the crowd I was in full of Red neck and Ghetto folk, but whatever its your thang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back