Am I the only one not crazy about Bray Wyatt?

berlinbrawler

Lovable Curmudgeon
Lately all I kept hearing is how high the WWE is on him and how they're going to push him to the moon. They put Daniel Bryan with him (that plan got mercy killed) and now rumor has it he will be facing Cena at Wrestlemania.

Is he really that good?

I mean, granted, he is different. Check. He's got this sect/cult thing going, unique entrance, has this unorthodox style (that inverted crap walk thing is creepy!) and his promos are cryptic, almost deep. (Almost!) So yea, I totally see why WWE creative thinks they might be on to something there, whatever it is.

However, at the end of the day, all he really is is a wrestler who is out there to win matches. That's the entire Wyatt master plan. That's all it is. There is no real mystery. He's just a wrestler like everyone else. Eventually even the casual fans are going to se through that gimmick, and once they do, Wyatt's stock is going to plummet.
Is that the kind of guy WWE wants to invest a lot of energy in? Have him face John Cena on the most important night of the year?

I guess what I'm saying is I'm pretty sure this character/gimmick has a very limited shelf life. Am I alone with that opinion?

I think that the whole gimmick is bigger than the performer and part of me doesn't forget he once was that awful Husky Harris. I don't know, I like The Wyatts and I like to watch them but it's not like I want to see Bray wearing the gold anytime soon. I don't know. Bray isn't really an exciting thing to watch in the ring either, but all can be solved if they reveal Bo Dallas as being Sister Abigail.

Lately all I kept hearing is how high the WWE is on him and how they're going to push him to the moon. They put Daniel Bryan with him (that plan got mercy killed) and now rumor has it he will be facing Cena at Wrestlemania.

Is he really that good?

I mean, granted, he is different. Check. He's got this sect/cult thing going, unique entrance, has this unorthodox style (that inverted crap walk thing is creepy!) and his promos are cryptic, almost deep. (Almost!) So yea, I totally see why WWE creative thinks they might be on to something there, whatever it is.

However, at the end of the day, all he really is is a wrestler who is out there to win matches. That's the entire Wyatt master plan. That's all it is. There is no real mystery. He's just a wrestler like everyone else. Eventually even the casual fans are going to se through that gimmick, and once they do, Wyatt's stock is going to plummet.
Is that the kind of guy WWE wants to invest a lot of energy in? Have him face John Cena on the most important night of the year?

I guess what I'm saying is I'm pretty sure this character/gimmick has a very limited shelf life. Am I alone with that opinion?

I'm sure if the internet existed in 1991 people would be saying the exact same thing about the Undertaker. But what happened with that gimmick again? Yeah...

If anything Bray Wyatt and the rest of the Wyatt's give the fans a valid reason to suspend belief once again. And for that the gimmick won't ever lose steam once it catches a foothold. Does it have that foothold? Maybe. But even if the fans see through the gimmick, the majority will still embrace it. Case in point when guys like Undertaker, Kane, Vader, Golddust were all huge names.

Lord have mercy that Ringmaster guy really sucks I don't see the potential WWE seems to think he has.

Think about that question.. Do you think you're the only one? Have you seen CSR? Brian Gulish feels the same way... People have different opinions, not everyone is going to be crazy over 1 wrestler, it' just not possible. Every Superstar or Diva are going to have people out there that don't like them.

I always get excited about his promos for hopes of him telling more about his past with Sister Abigail and whatever the hell possessed him(Which according to his twitter is Abaddon, the angel of death).

He's legitimately interesting and his ring style is different with the spider walk and his mannerisms, why wouldn't I like him?

No you're not the only one because I don't see it either.

They've just taken the hillbilly horror film idea and applied it to wrestling. Thats it.

I've heard people comparing him to Undertaker but in all serious Undertaker was a huge man and much more mysterious back in the day with Paul Bearer and the urn. Bray Wyatt is actually pretty short, so he just doesn't seem as menacing.

I like hearing him talk when it isn't nonsensical rambling. I've been enjoying his promos with Bryan recently which have sorta turned me around on him because I used to find the most unappealing. I don't think him and Cena is a good idea on any level though and I don't think he's above average in the ring. Pretty much the only thing I like about Bray Wyatt is his promos sometimes and his entrance everything else I can leave.

The Wrestlemania rumors are nonsense. The only one out of the 6 odd matches rumored, that is likely to happen, is CM Punk vs Triple-H.

I'm sure if the internet existed in 1991 people would be saying the exact same thing about the Undertaker. But what happened with that gimmick again? Yeah...
The Undertaker was the one gimmick that, against all odds, had an infinite shelf-life. That's the kind of lightening that just doesn't strike twice. ... *cough*cough*KANE*cough* OK, fine, it strikes now and then. But for every Kane and Undertaker there are fifty Barbarians, Repo Men, Pirates, Executioners, Garbage Men, Cannibals, Mummies, Barbers, Clowns, Sasquatches, Convicts, Voodoo Priests, Zombies, Sharks, Vampires or Wizards. Finding a gimmick that actually resonates with the fans, especially long term, is like winning the lottery. As Steve Austin put it: It's a crap shoot at best.

And for the WWE to just assume that they have struck gold with that Manson Family-esque gimmick before it is anywhere close to a proven comodity reeks somewhat of desperation.

I wouldn't say I'm crazy about Bray Wyatt, but I like him just fine. He is certainly a major upgrade from Husky Harris and a fringe member of the Nexus. I think the key word here is potential. The wrestler and the gimmick have the potential to be something special, but I think if they are truly considering seeing him face Cena at WM30, that's too much too soon, he isn't ready for that, and I for one have absolutely no interest in that feud. Yet.

I wouldn't be too quick to draw comparisons between him and the Undertaker or the Ringmaster. Different eras, different audiences in a pre-Internet world, which is relevant. I'm not sure if the WWF really expected the Undertaker to become as immense as he has, with such longevity, one year into his tenure. And no one could have predicted what the Ringmaster would evolve into. I say Bray Wyatt is pretty good, and who knows, may ultimately be great. But for now, he should remain in mid card feuds before trying to become an integral part of the grandest stage of them all.

You're not the only one, but you're few and far between.

The thing I like about Bray is how he places his emphasis. He's not an amazing athletic type or even a great worker. But this guy used to be Husky Harris. He's undergone a complete transformation and knows how to make whatever he does in the ring seem significant. In the matches he's been in,he always participates very little and usually only gets the tag towards the end of the match meaning when he's in, you know it's on.

He tunes his style in the ring, his expressions, how he performs his moves, his reactions, all of it, perfectly in accordance with his character. There's next to nobody who does this just right and he's one of them. His promos are compelling, even when they do consist with a fair amount of rambling.

Before I saw Wyatt debut on the main stage, I knew the gimmick. I knew what it was about and I thought it was stupid, I didn't think he could make it work. And he's completely proven me wrong. The only time I've seen Bray misstep was his match with Kane. So maybe he needs more work on 1-on-1 contests and longer matches, but otherwise he's very hard to flaw, even if you don't like him.

Guy is an absolutely tremendous talker. Like, ludicrously good.

[youtube]zmdGg9ee5zc[/youtube]

Let's not fuck around here.

He's a fine mid carder at this point. He just hasn't done anything yet to suggest he's ready for a main event push, especially a rumored Mania match with Cena (which I can't see at this point). However, Cena had to wrestle Miz at Mania, and anyone is better than that waste of space.

Not a fan of him really. His gimmick is pretty cool but I have 0 interest in watching him wrestle.

You guys are chodes. I pretty much tune wrestling out between September and January but I always checked in to see what Bray and DB were doing. Bray is a compelling character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back