All In Offers CM Punk A Match

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cody Rhodes had a conversation with Raj Giri of Wrestling Inc. and gave some details about how Matt Jackson had talked to CM Punk about appearing at All In in Chicago on September 1st. He also delved into the mysticism of Punk, the landmark event’s connection with WGN America & the Over Budget Battle Royal. Segments of the interview are below but you can read it in its entirety by going here:

Cody on his & Matt Jackson’s interaction with Punk:

“Yes, I mean I talked to [Punk] just vaguely,” Rhodes said. “He even at one point said ‘nobody’s asked me — hey here’s how much we’ll pay you and here’s who you’ll wrestle.’

“Matt [Jackson] actually made a full offer or full pitch for his services and I think Punk is focused on the Mixed Martial Arts element of his career. One of the reasons we didn’t first come out and say, ‘here’s who we want you to wrestle,’ because I think we just wanted him to be a part of the event for a lot of fans, he’s captured their imagination even with the amount of time he’s been gone. He has a mythical presence to them. I thought it would be good for him to connect with them, but that’s me, you know?

“Nobody owns Punk but Punk, so if he wants to do Mixed Martial Arts, go for it. He was always very nice to me and helpful to me in OVW. I always looked at All In with the perspective that it’s about the present and future of the industry and not really about cheap pops, even though I’m sure they’ll be plenty of those on the show. Matt had reached out to [Punk] and made him a real offer. I think Punk is set on not being part of it.”

I was actually talking to one of my friends the other day about how it would be a massive mistake for All In not to try and talk Punk into doing something on their show. I'm glad that they went ahead and asked him, even if he said no. Or, rather, apparently turned them down. There is, of course, every chance that Punk could show up and bring the house down with an appearance or a match.

If he did, it would probably be the mist notable thing in wrestling all year. Could you imagine the pop that Punk would get in his own town? I really wish he would have said yes because that would have been incredible. His MMA career is as good as over but he's still hanging onto the hopes of it. More power to Punk for that but I do feel as though he'll be back in wrestling sooner or later.

They can try but the more that comes out about him being nothing but a massive douche the more i find myself not wanting to ever see him again.

Is he good? Well yes, he's easily one of the best of the past decade but sometimes that's just not enough when you're nothing but an asshole to everyone around you.

Last edited:
It only makes good business sense to ask Punk. He may pop up right at the end just to send the fans home happy as it'll be the first time CM Punk has been inside a wrestling ring in close to 5 years.

I'm pretty much along the same lines as Hyorinmaru in that I'm just over Punk and my opinion of him has changed dramatically due to all the info that's come out about him over the years, especially about the stuff going on between him and Colt Cabana. The guy really does come off like a colossal prick.

I still like Punk even although he hasn't been around in what seems forever, but in saying that I have no real desire to see him back in the ring. He probably gets asked a lot to appear at various events but his lack of apparent interest doesn't surprise me. He strikes me as one of those people that once he makes a decision he sticks with it. I'm married to someone like that so that's why there is no surprise.

Maybe somewhere, sometime or at some point down the road Punk might decide to have one more go at it, I mean the guy isn't getting any younger. I do think the only person that would be able to convince him to do have one last match would be his wife. Until she comes on board he's staying home.

I mean, I guess it would be cool. Punk was, before he left, one of the best performers on the roster; so much so that the company allowed him to have that huge Championship reign, and have a couple of matches with The Rock. He was one of the most popular guys on the show and people loved him.

That was four years ago. Four years that he's spent saying how much he hates wrestling and how much better his life is now he's out.

My point? For this to be an option you have to assume that Punk wants back in on wrestling and I just don't see it.

Okay, maybe he does it for the money; he's said himself that the trial blew through a lot of cash. Having said that he then went on to have another UFC fight which will have paid out a pretty penny or two, and he has other projects that are gonna be bringing in the dollars. Maybe not as much but still, I doubt money would be a factor.

More over, All In may have made an offer, but it doesn't need Punk. It's already sold out and sure, maybe there would be some extra eyes on it should Punk be announced. But the people who were the biggest CM Punk fans were...probably the guys and gals who would be watching it anyway. Punks biggest fanbase was the more well-rounded fan who watches more than just WWE, and those fans are the ones paying the more interest to All In.

And having said that...I haven't missed Punk. I used to love him, but guys like Rollins, Daniel Bryan during his run before temporary retirement, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Nakamura, Styles and the like have filled whatever void there was and I honestly am okay with not seeing him wrestle then talk about how unfair it is that he hasn't main evented a Mania.

So yeah, I guess it would be cool, but it really wouldn't make or break the show. If anything, it'll do better on its own merits without him.

The thing is, while i get why Cody would want to get Punk on the show, at this point, does he really need him. The show as been sold out for months now so Punk making a appearance won't move the needle as far as the gate is concern and with the negative publicity he's getting lately, how many fans would even want to see him. Plus, it would probably create a lot of drama in the locker room that they don't need right now since Cabana is on the card.

So in a way, if i'm Cody, i'm glad that Punk turn them down because it saves me a lot of headache that i don't need right now. It's going to be such a long day for Cody and the bucks to make sure everything work well and the booking of the show plus making sure the production is perfect, that's without considering they have to wrestled as well, you don't want to have a guy like punk who will try to cause trouble in the locker room as a distraction.

Punk coming back to the ring will be a big deal, but if i'm them or any promoter, i would wait until, his court problem with colt are resolved and when you need something big for the next show. If Cody and The bucks decides to do another ALL in event, they will need a big attraction and Punk's return would be that attraction. So in my opinion, Having Punk on this show would be such a wasted opportunity and i'm glad he turn them down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back