All Bill of Rights or lists of rights should be gotten rid of

Shadowmancer

I am The Last Baron
Now before you go off on a rant at me, the wording is what I am getting at, everyone seems to have rights, they have a right to do this, they have a right to say that. It seems to create a case of using your rights to keep down others rights.

What I propose is replacing any sort of bill of rights or rights type legal documents with something more intelligent than just saying that people have rights. What I propose (and this isn't exactly my idea but I saw it and I like it) is a Bill of Rights and Responsibilitys. It is the second of those two phrases that is most important as that should lay out some form of expectation of people.

Freedom of the Press exists, they should have the responsibility of providing news in an unbiased form, giving both sides equal time in stories about conflict.

People have a right to live in a country, they should have a responsibility to help the country and not just take from it, this is the negative side of a welfare state, people become dependant on it because of governments catering to them to gain votes.

People have a right to vote, they should therefore have a responsibility to vote or at the very least be registered so they can vote, and then live relatively lawful lives.

So thoughts on the idea of replacing bills of rights.

ps. I use Bill of Rights because that is what I know the New Zealand one as and it is easier for me to refer to it as that.

The American Bill of Rights were never intended to be the bastardized sheets of rock from Moses they've turned into. Hell, the Bill of Rights was only added in the first place to placate people in signing the Constitution into effect. The Bill of Rights, in my opinion, implies those responsibilities you speak of, and I think were intended to convey those responsibilities.

However, in true human being fashion, everything is always about find an edge, finding the loophole to make your life better. The concept of working together to achieve the best solution for everyone has been buried six feet under, and it's only about the "me", not the "we".

Your right and responsibilities sound great, but it is entirely unenforceable. Those responsibilities should come, not from pieces of parchment, but rather from the moral fiber of every person living under their Bill of Rights. Unfortunately, depending on the morals of others seems to be, more and more, a foolhardy proposition.

Even if you got rid of the bill of rights you'd have a riot on your hands. The American people wouldn't stand for it. Plus the ACLU would sue your pants off and you wouldn't get far anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back