Alien Resurrection is a good film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
Seriously it is. I watched it again yesterday and I throughly enjoyed it. I still don't see what everyone is going on about when they say it's shit.

It's a lot better than Alien 3 which just seemed like a rehash of the first film with some tweaks in my opinion. The characters each have a distinguiashble personality in Resurrection whereas they don't really have one in Alien 3 except for maybe three. The story was unique and I liked how it played out.

So what is supposed to be bad with Alien Resurrection and I shall try and defend it as best I can.

No, Ripley doesn't have much of a personality in the film at all, and that's part of the plot!

Ok so 200 years after she dies they clone her from past blood samples that magically appeared. 200 years! I hope someone cares about my blood so much they keep it for 200 years.

They use her clone because they want to extract a queen from her blood. Oh yeah, it wasn't a frickin queen that was inside of her. Oops. Not to mention the serious issues that raises. Can you clone an unborn "child" from the mothers blood? Not to mention an alien child... I just have a hard time believing that would only take 8 tries. PLUS, some "mix up" occured in the process and now Ripleys DNA crossed with an aliens and she doesn't know who she is really. Torn apart about her allegiance. This process of course makes her very strong, smart and utterly emotionless. Taking pretty much everything good about her character and throwing it away.

Then a crew of smugglers (yeah that occupation alone isn't like saying "I'll be right back" in a horror movie or anything) unknowingly brings hosts to breed the aliens with. Not to mention some of the cliched characters that come aboard. A badass black guy and a little guy in a wheelchair. Can anyone say Nightmare On Elm Street 3? And that's just the first that popped into my head.

Winona Ryder. Period.

So the aliens eventually escape (there's a surprise) and everyone's running away while the ship makes it's way towards earth. Along the way of everyone dying we see someone from the big corporation try to screw them, then he dies (yep that hasn't happened in any of the previous films). Winona Ryder's character turns out to be an android (never seen that in a previous alien movie either).

In the end the queen alien has some kind of human/alien hybrid with very bad special effects and is also just ugly as shit. Not like that's really that important but they really could've gone another way with that one ya know? This hybrid kills the queen because it doesn't accept it as it's true mother, rather it chooses Ripley. Though Ripley isn't sure what the hell she thinks and the queen loved it... Ripley kills the hybrid while apologizing to it like she really gave a shit in the first place. It's like a girl you propose to who says no then she apologizes. You love her she doesn't love you. The only difference is Ripley killed the alien. The girl only rips your heart out.

So, short of a Sandra Bullock cameo I really don't know how they could make this any worse.

No, Ripley doesn't have much of a personality in the film at all, and that's part of the plot!.

Well she's a clone isn't she, she's not going to have much of a personality as she's what a week old technically, that's not much time to develop one. She does get one because of her human/alien genetics and her conflicting emotions.

Ok so 200 years after she dies they clone her from past blood samples that magically appeared. 200 years! I hope someone cares about my blood so much they keep it for 200 years.

Well there is dinosaur blood knocking about in amber and such, you seen Jurassic Park and the amber and how they cloned the dinosaurs, same principle and seeing as it's the future I'm sure they've got better ways of looking after blood.

They use her clone because they want to extract a queen from her blood. Oh yeah, it wasn't a frickin queen that was inside of her. Oops. Not to mention the serious issues that raises. Can you clone an unborn "child" from the mothers blood? Not to mention an alien child... I just have a hard time believing that would only take 8 tries. PLUS, some "mix up" occured in the process and now Ripleys DNA crossed with an aliens and she doesn't know who she is really. Torn apart about her allegiance. This process of course makes her very strong, smart and utterly emotionless. Taking pretty much everything good about her character and throwing it away.

Well seeing as they're using the illusion that cloning hasn't been set in stone and it's the future, from their perspective you can clone a human and whatever's inside them.

Well it was a Queen inside her, watch Alien 3 again (I can't be asked) or look it up it's a Queen. Well seeing as the Alien was inside her

Then a crew of smugglers (yeah that occupation alone isn't like saying "I'll be right back" in a horror movie or anything) unknowingly brings hosts to breed the aliens with. .

The captain of the smugglers was an aquaintance of the captain of the medical ship (the ship with the aliens) and the captain of the medical ship asked for the hosts and he'd pay, now if you're a smuggler you very rarely think of why people want what they ask you for, you think of the money.

Not to mention some of the cliched characters that come aboard. A badass black guy and a little guy in a wheelchair. Can anyone say Nightmare On Elm Street 3? And that's just the first that popped into my head.

What you mean like the cliched characters that the marines portrayed in Aliens???

Winona Ryder. Period.

:lmao:
Winona Ryder is a decent actress and did a good job, after all she was playing an android

So the aliens eventually escape (there's a surprise)

Well in all the other Alien films they've escaped so why not this one??

and everyone's running away while the ship makes it's way towards earth. Along the way of everyone dying we see someone from the big corporation try to screw them, then he dies (yep that hasn't happened in any of the previous films). Winona Ryder's character turns out to be an android (never seen that in a previous alien movie either).

Well yeah they're escaping Aliens that are good hunters, of course people are going to die. The corporation guy thought he could make something of the situation and he died, yeah it's happened before so what you'd probably complain if he did a complete 180 and decided to fully help them.

In the end the queen alien has some kind of human/alien hybrid with very bad special effects and is also just ugly as shit.

What bad special effects for now, I'm pretty sure back in 1997 they were top of the range. Well of course the Alien hybrid is going to be ugly it's a freaking Alien!! what do you want it to look like???

Not like that's really that important but they really could've gone another way with that one ya know? This hybrid kills the queen because it doesn't accept it as it's true mother, rather it chooses Ripley.

Well in the animal kingdom parents will leave their offspring if they don't smell right and not get attached, they can also look after a completely different species than it's own (this happens with some birds) it's the same principal here, the Alien hybrid didn't attach itself to the Queen instead it attached itself to Ripley because of the same principal.

Though Ripley isn't sure what the hell she thinks and the queen loved it... Ripley kills the hybrid while apologizing to it like she really gave a shit in the first place. It's like a girl you propose to who says no then she apologizes. You love her she doesn't love you. The only difference is Ripley killed the alien. The girl only rips your heart out.)

So what if the Queen loved it, many kids have hurt the parents that loved and cared for them. Ripley wanted to save the crew of the ship but had conflcting emotions about the hybrid as she was kind of its mother.

So, short of a Sandra Bullock cameo I really don't know how they could make this any worse.

Yor guess is as good as mine

I did look it up and I never realized it was a queen so I'll give you that one. However...

Ripley's lack of personality in the movie completely kills it. Explain it away with whatever you want with the cloning process, she is the main protagonist in the series and if you do a complete 180 with her it ruins the movie. She is half the reason people like the series. Period.

With the cliche characters in Aliens you have to account for the fact that it was 1986 and they weren't quite so cliche back then. Yeah, looking back it's bad, but back then they were just characters in a movie. Resurrection was in 1997 when cliche characters had long since been established so it does take some creativity...

Yes, Winona Ryder has her moments in other movies, but there's no way in hell she belonged in that cast. Cast her character with someone else and it might have been not so bad. That character played by her absolutely doesn't fit.

And finally, as far as the effects...Terminator 2 came out in 1991 and had better effects. They didn't use computers in Resurrection. It was obvious they were using models and robots. That's ok for just the aliens running around and such. They did it with the AVP movies. But for more detailed situations like the end of the movie, they needed computers. That's why the alien hybrid was so ugly, because it was blatantly obvious how fake it was.

I was with you up until "is a good film." Then you kinda lost me.

Alien Resurrection is a cinematic abortion. David Fincher managed to make a better film with the dicks of a hundred Fox executives down his throat, so there's no excuse for why it's so bad. It's so bad Joss Whedon is embarrassed by it.

Although it's one of many, it's worst crime is how it makes the threat of a film not a threat. Any character that dies, dies because of their own incompetence.

The badass bounty hunters first encounter a single alien. It hasn't done anything yet. For all they know, it's completely harmless. There are several of them, they're equipped with bleeding edge weapons technology and dripping with ammo. What do they do? Scream and run away. Pants on head ******ed.

Don't even get me started on this thing:

5cbf206132.jpg

Which had to have its penis-inside-a-vagina digitally removed.

Sigourney Weaver deserves a firm punch in the mouth for this film.

I was with you up until "is a good film." Then you kinda lost me.

Alien Resurrection is a cinematic abortion. David Fincher managed to make a better film with the dicks of a hundred Fox executives down his throat, so there's no excuse for why it's so bad.

That was pretty much the exact same story as the first film

It's so bad Joss Whedon is embarrassed by it.

Probably because everyone shits on it all the time, if people talk badly about your work, you're going to feel bad about it. If people liked it he most likely would be proud of it.

Although it's one of many, it's worst crime is how it makes the threat of a film not a threat. Any character that dies, dies because of their own incompetence.

What you mean like some of the other characters in Alien 3 and Aliens that died because of their incompetence

The badass bounty hunters first encounter a single alien. It hasn't done anything yet. For all they know, it's completely harmless. There are several of them, they're equipped with bleeding edge weapons technology and dripping with ammo. What do they do? Scream and run away. Pants on head ******ed.

What you mean the thing that killed their captain with ease, they may not have seen it do anything but I think they clocked on that it is a force to be reckoned with

Don't even get me started on this thing:

5cbf206132.jpg

Which had to have its penis-inside-a-vagina digitally removed.

Because it would cause offence to a large amount of people perhaps.

Sigourney Weaver deserves a firm punch in the mouth for this film.

If you say so

I did look it up and I never realized it was a queen so I'll give you that one.

Thanks

Ripley's lack of personality in the movie completely kills it. Explain it away with whatever you want with the cloning process, she is the main protagonist in the series and if you do a complete 180 with her it ruins the movie. She is half the reason people like the series. Period.

Yeah but I felt it was a new dimension of her character dealing with the fact that she was a human alien hybrid. You may not have seen the personality but I did

With the cliche characters in Aliens you have to account for the fact that it was 1986 and they weren't quite so cliche back then. Yeah, looking back it's bad, but back then they were just characters in a movie. Resurrection was in 1997 when cliche characters had long since been established so it does take some creativity...

Not really, cliched characters were kind of set in the mid-seventies, Aliens just changed the setting.

Yes, Winona Ryder has her moments in other movies, but there's no way in hell she belonged in that cast. Cast her character with someone else and it might have been not so bad. That character played by her absolutely doesn't fit.

I guess that's a matter of opinion, I thought she did a good job

And finally, as far as the effects...Terminator 2 came out in 1991 and had better effects. They didn't use computers in Resurrection. It was obvious they were using models and robots. That's ok for just the aliens running around and such. They did it with the AVP movies. But for more detailed situations like the end of the movie, they needed computers. That's why the alien hybrid was so ugly, because it was blatantly obvious how fake it was.

They were trying to make it more realistic by having somethin actually there, yes there were special effects in Terminator 2 but they also used models and make up for the effects on the Terminators face at the end of the movie as well.

Watched it the other night actually. I enjoyed it, but I was also sharing the experience with an infectious child. Yeah it's shit, just total bollocks.

I didn't read any of the other posts, or the attempted debates on the part of Alex. No point really. It's one of those things you could debate and come up with a really good argument for. You'd still be wrong though.

The film changes the two best things from the whole franchise and expected it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back