Alice in Wonderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Alice in Wonderland is currently the highest grossing film of 2010 having earned $1,021,762,182. The next highest is Iron Man 2 with $610,138,110 which is quite a gap, with one having made almost twice as much as the other as of June 29th. Alice in Wonderland is also currently the 5th highest grossing film of all time.

Here are the current standings:
1- Avatar $2,730,159,774+
2- Titanic $1,848,201,268
3- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119,110,941
4- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725
5- Alice in Wonderland $1,021,762,182+

The way things are going, Alice in Wonderland keeps on making as much money as it has been, it could easily become the 3rd highest grossing film. It might even beat Titanic, but I doubt it. I certainly don't think it can beat Avatar, but then again many of us thought Avatar wouldn't beat Titanic, and it's STILL making a lot of money. I personally don't think Alice in Wonderland would deserve to earn a spot in the top three because although it was good there were things about it that I really disliked and it's not as good as people seem to be making it out to be. I particularly hated how much more important the character of The Mad Hatter became in this version, that's one of the things that kind of ruined it for me. I really disliked that character! I got upset when it earned more money than films such as The Dark Knight, which are a lot better.

So here are a couple of questions. Do you think Alice in Wonderland will keep climbing this list? If so, how well do you think it will do? If it were to make it all the way to 2nd (or if by some miracle it dethrones Avatar) do you feel it is a good enough movie to deserve making as much money as it has, and why?

I'll have no problem with this movie if it makes it into the top 3 because i actually like this movie i enjoy the visuals alot and the acting was mostly good except for the girl who played Alice she wasn't as good as i would of hoped. I actually had no problem with the mad hatter character getting a lot of attention because his character was the best in the movie and Depp did a great job playing the mad hatter. So me personally i would be satisfied with Alice In Wonderland being a top 3 grossing movie of all time.

So here are a couple of questions. Do you think Alice in Wonderland will keep climbing this list? If so, how well do you think it will do? If it were to make it all the way to 2nd (or if by some miracle it dethrones Avatar) do you feel it is a good enough movie to deserve making as much money as it has, and why?

It'll climb but it will absolutely not surpass Titanic or Avatar.

I don't think it really matters if I think it's a good film or not, because the amount of money a movie makes =/= quality.

Look at the list of the highest grossing films in 2009:
1 Avatar
2 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
3 Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
4 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
5 2012
6 Up
7 The Twilight Saga: New Moon
8 Sherlock Holmes
9 Angels & Demons
10 The Hangover

If we're equating quality to how much a film deserves to be there, then Twilight sure as fuck shouldn't be there, and at the very least neither should 2012 or Transformers, and that's being generous to some of the other films that are listed there. But it's not about quality. These are the films that a mainstream movie audience wants to flock out to see, and honestly, if your purpose as a director/producer/filmmaker is to make a movie that gets you a lot of money, then you really did do your job by putting out a film like Transformers and you absolutely deserve that spot you have.

With everything adjusted for inflation, a lot of films make the highest-grossing list that really don't deserve to be there. It's actually amazing when you think about how much money Titanic made in 1997 so that it's still holding on to that #2 (previously #1) spot to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back