Albums that define a Decade - 90s

Shadowmancer

I am The Last Baron
The Second in the series hopefully this and the 70s one get more discussion in it.

What albums define a decade?
This is a good question, and should have been raised in some form or another in a discussion about music at some point in time.

Now the focus of this particular thread is the albums that define the 90s, This choice was at random, and I will get around to other decades as I get around to it. Probably Next week. Ill suggest 4 albums that I consider as being important in defining the 90s musically. This one I am going to avoid some of the easy ones.

ritual.jpg

Track listing

1. "Stop!" – 4:14
2. "No One's Leaving" – 3:01
3. "Ain't No Right" – 3:34
4. "Obvious" – 5:55
5. "Been Caught Stealing" – 3:34
6. "Three Days" – 10:48
7. "Then She Did..." – 8:18
8. "Of Course" – 7:02
9. "Classic Girl" – 5:07

This album came out in 1990 and it has one of my favourite songs on here in "Been Caught Stealing", but you listen to the album and you hear more to the album than just alternative Rock there is something there that makes it important, Rolling Stone puts it in the top 500 for all time, so its influence is there to be determined by a reputable magazine. Add this in with the fact that Perry Farrell created Lollapalooza as a farewell tour the year after this album came out.

randic_outcomethe_wolves.jpg

Track listing

1. "Maxwell Murder" – 1:25
2. "The 11th Hour" – 2:28
3. "Roots Radicals" – 2:47
4. "Time Bomb" – 2:24
5. "Olympia, WA." – 3:30
6. "Lock, Step & Gone" – 2:25
7. "Junkie Man" – 3:04
8. "Listed M.I.A." – 2:22
9. "Ruby Soho" – 2:37
10. "Daly City Train" – 3:21
11. "Journey to the End of the East Bay" – 3:11
12. "She's Automatic" – 1:35
13. "Old Friend" – 2:53
14. "Disorder and Disarray" – 2:49
15. "The Wars End" – 1:53
16. "You Don't Care Nothin'" – 2:28
17. "As Wicked" – 2:40
18. "Avenues & Alleyways" – 3:11
19. "The Way I Feel" – 2:34

While I am not the biggest Rancid fan in the world, mainly because I haven't listened to much yet, I can still recognise the influence that this band has had and this album has one of the defining images of Punk in the 90s on the cover with tribute to Minor Threat. My introduction to Rancid where I knew that it was Rancid is on this album and that is "Roots Radical".

Faith%20No%20More%20-%20Album%20Of%20The%20Year.jpg

Track listing

1. "Collision" (Hudson, Patton) - 3:24
2. "Stripsearch" (Hudson, Patton, Bordin, Gould) - 4:29
3. "Last Cup of Sorrow" (Patton, Gould) - 4:12
4. "Naked in Front of the Computer" (Patton) - 2:08
5. "Helpless" (Patton, Bordin, Gould) - 5:26
6. "Mouth to Mouth" (Hudson, Patton, Bordin, Gould) - 3:48
7. "Ashes to Ashes" (Hudson, Patton, Bordin, Gould, Bottum) - 3:37
8. "She Loves Me Not" (Patton, Bordin, Gould) - 3:29
9. "Got That Feeling" (Patton) - 2:20
10. "Paths of Glory" (Hudson, Patton, Bordin, Gould, Bottum) - 4:17
11. "Home Sick Home" (Patton) - 1:59
12. "Pristina" (Patton, Gould) - 3:51

While this may be Faith No Mores final album and considered to be less than stellar, I disagree and enjoy this album because of the general diversity of the sounds. This album also caps off the Alternative Metal/Rock that started with Janes' Addiction and The Melvins and probably ends with Faith No More, this is purely in terms of the 90s.

2889873690_f19567847b_o.jpg

Track listing

1. "Can't Stop" (Mike Muir) – 6:39
2. "Accept My Sacrifice" (Muir, Trujillo) – 3:30
3. "Nobody Hears" (Muir, Rocky George) – 5:34
4. "Tap into the Power" (Muir, Mike Clark – 3:43
5. "Monopoly on Sorrow" (Muir) – 5:13
6. "We Call This Mutha Revenge" (Muir, Clark) – 4:51
7. "I Wasn't Meant to Feel This (Asleep at the Wheel)" (Muir) – 7:07
8. "Gotta Kill Captain Stupid" (Muir, Clark) – 4:02
9. "I'll Hate You Better" (Muir, Clark) – 4:18
10. "Which Way to Free?" (Muir, George) – 4:30
11. "It's Going Down" (Muir) – 4:27
12. "Where's the Truth?" (Muir, George) – 4:14

This album has it all in terms of sound, it covers from Thrash and Punk as well as Alternative. There are songs on here that need to be listened to to get the full impact of what they are getting at. A good example of this is "Gotta Kill Captain Stupid", which you need to listen to with a bit of humour when you consider the start of the song with the effects. songs such as "Monopoly on Sorrow" show diversity in the song structure as well.

I chose these four because I didn't want to see the same four albums come up again and again which they will. But please go back and add to the discussion over the 70s as well once you have added to this one.

Nirvana- Nevermind

I am not sure if posting the cover for the album is considered nudity or not, so I decided out of my best interest not to post it:p.

The Album essentially was one of the best Grunge music albums of all times and helped, along side bands like Pearl Jam to shape an entire decade of music.

# "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic, Dave Grohl) – 5:01
# "In Bloom" – 4:14
# "Come as You Are" – 3:39
# "Breed" – 3:03
# "Lithium" – 4:17
# "Polly" – 2:57
# "Territorial Pissings" – 2:22
# "Drain You" – 3:43
# "Lounge Act" – 2:36
# "Stay Away" – 3:32
# "On a Plain" – 3:16
# "Something in the Way" – 3:55

The album is filled with songs that countless people later mixed onto blank tapes, and played on their walkman for years. The single "Smell's Like Teen Spirit" has been known as the song that shaped the decade and known as one of the greatest songs of the 90s.

While this album probably isn't a favorite of most on here there is no denying that this album was huge back in the late 1990's and helped catapult a star.

That album is Lauryn Hill's "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill". This album was not only a huge seller(eventually selling almost 20 million copies world wide(18))but it was also criticly acclaimed. The album 2 grammys' for Best Album, & R&B Album, and also help score Hill a record 5 grammys in one night.

Not too mention how it topped many critics year end favorite albums, and is also one of the few albums released since 1998 to have made the Rolling Stones Top 500 albums ever. The album was such a sucess and helped make Hip/Hop the huge genre it is. Hill became a huge music darling(but she faded into obscurity, her own choice). The album is one of the best hip/hop albums ever, male or female and helped pave away for the hip/hop genre in general.

Another album(again probably not a WZ favorite)that helped define the 90's is Shania Twain's "Come on Over". This album is still selling around 50k a year(which is quiet a feat). The album was criticly acclaimed and it ended up not only being the best selling female album(during the soundscan period which started at 1991)but is also as of this year the #1 selling Album in the US(since soundscan)although Metallica will probably pass her this year since they are selling more per year. The album ended up selling 36 million albums world wide and ended up being one of the biggest country album ever.

Not only did it sell well but this album was one of the first country albums to really infuse a pop/internation sound to it(it was a trend setter that people like Faith Hill, Keith Urban, Taylor Swift, LeAnn Rhimes, ect all followed later on). This album(along with Garth Brook's album)really defined country music for the 90's and ended up as being one of the albums that defined the decade(for pop/country fans).

Sadly, every single one of the albums Shadow listed are by bands I despise. But I can certainly concede the influence.

I went in a totally different direction with this one:

662.jpg

This was The Offspring's breakout album, and third overall. I have a whole litany of reasons why this album was so important.

1. It forced punk into the mainstream. Now, that may or may not be a good thing depending on your view of punk rock music. On the one hand, it increased exposure of punk rock - including a new appreciation of the bands at the "roots" of punk, and it allowed the message of punk rock to reach more people. On the other hand, the very message of punk is to shun establishment and not sell out. So in that vein, it was counterproductive. But damn it was important.

2. Smash is the highest selling independent album in music history. Despite its indie label, Smash has sold 16 million copies worldwide. That proves to the music industry that fans CAN indeed drive the business, not always the business driving the fans. It also showed indie rock bands of all shapes and sizes that a solid album coupled with an aggressive guerrilla marketing campaign can make anyone a millionaire.

3. Smash reads like a Who's Who and a What's What of the 90's. Think of the tracks on the album. Come Out And Play dealt with school children and guns, including the presence of gang violence near schools.

Smash, as fun as the song sounds, is about relationship abuse. In this song, the woman in the relationship abuses the man in the relationship because he is unable to stand up to her, allowing her to sleep with other guys and still have him remain loyal to her.

Gotta Get Away was written in 1st person by Dexter, and dealt with coping with impending pressures. In this case, he was discussing the pressures of the album's deadline, but it can easily be applied to all of the agnst that the 90's seemed to revolve around for so long.

Bad Habit was a funny but serious song about road rage and the dangers of the road. Title track Smash was a neat anthem about the punk rock movement itself.

So there you have it. Offspring's Smash as one of the defining albums of the 90's. I'd love some thoughts, and also to get some help in keeping these terrific threads going!

1. Tim Dog's debut album Penicillin on Wax definitely made an impact in hip hop & it also produced the diss track Fuck Compton that started the East Coast West Coast Rivalry. While it was an overall good album. It's not his best work as his follow up album was better.

imgres

Track Listing
1. Intro
2. Low Down *****
3. Robin Harris Shit-Skit
4. Fuck Compton
5. DJ Quik Bbeat Down-Skit
6. Step To Me
7. Phone Conversation With Reporter-Skit
8. Bronx *****
9. You Ain't Shit
10. I Ain't Takin No Shorts
11. NFL Shit-Skit
12. I'll Wax Anybody
13. Michel'le Conversation-Skit
14. Can't Fuck Around
15. Dogs Gonna Getcha
16. Going Wild In The Penile
17. Get Off The Dick
18. I Ain't Havin It
19. Patriotic Pimp
20. Secret Fantasies

2. Ah Dr Dre's debut album The Chronic. While 2001 is his best album in my opinion, This album helped makes the genre G-Funk popular, produced Dre's most successful single to date in Nuthin But A G Thang, further his rivalry with Eazy-E, launched the careers of Snoop Dogg, Warren G & Tha Dogg Pound & the diss to Tim Dogg who started the East Coast West Coast rivalry. Many people also consider this album one of the greatest produced albums of all time.

imgres

Track Listing
1. The Chronic-Intro
2. Fuck Wit Dre Day (And Everybody's Celebratin)
3. Let Me Ride
4. The Day The *****z Took Over
5. Nuthin But A G Thang
6. Deeez Nuuuts
7. Lil' Ghetto Boy
8. A ***** Witta Gun
9. Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat
10. The $20 Sack Pyramid-Skit
11. Lyrical ********
12. High Powered
13. The Doctor's Office-Skit
14. Stranded On Death Row
15. The Roach-The Chronic Outro
16. Bitches Ain't Shit-Bonus Track

IN_FLAMES_-_THE_JESTER_RACE.jpg

In Flames - The Jester Race

I find it hard to find any flows with The Jester Race. That's because the album is a masterpiece. I'm going to quote myself here from a post I made regarding this album last June:

The Jester Race is by far, in my eyes, the greatest achievement in the Melodic Death Metal genre. Unlike later In Flames, the album contains growls throughout (aside from the instrumentals, which are beautiful) and much more emphasis on faster-paced melodies and thrashing complex rhythms and some of the most intricate, well-written solo's I have ever come across.

Sadly, In Flames would never reach these heights again, but The Jester Race still remains as one of the most influential, well-written extreme metal albums in history.

snoop-doggy-dogg-doggystyle.jpg

Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

After Snoop Dogg had played a big part in the making of Dr. Dre's critically praised debut The Chronic, the hype for his solo debut was crazy. The was proven by the fact that Doggystle sold just short of one million copies in its first week, with Dre backing as producer. Somehow, Dre had managed to push the G-Funk sound even further, and I personally think this record surpassed anything Dre released in beats, production, flow and lyrics. Undoubtedly an hip-hop classic, Doggystyle was one of the greatest, most influential albums released throughout the 90's.

albumcoverSonnySharrock-AskTheAges.jpg

Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages

Sharrock had been a well-known Jazz musician dating back the late 60's, releasing heavily praised albums such as Dance With Me Montana and Seize the Rainbow. However, it wasn't until 1991 that Sonny released Ask the Ages, the pinnacle of modern-era Jazz. The musicians present on this album is a who's who of Jazz - Pharoah Sanders, widely regarded as a pioneer and best tenor player in the world and Elvin Jones, regulary cited as an influential figure throughout Jazz, working with highly-acclaimed artists such as John Coltrane.

The record is incredibly heavy, managing to keep recognizable song structures throughout while magnificent sax and guitar improvisations run throughout. Sonny still remains to this day, fifteen years after his death, an influential figure to many musicains, of which strays well out of jazz and into other genres. Ask the Ages has gone on to became a mainstay on critics best of lists and often mentioned by jazz and rock musicians as a prominent influence on their work.

Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

RATM.jpg

1. "Bombtrack" – 4:05
2. "Killing in the Name" – 5:14
3. "Take the Power Back" – 5:37
4. "Settle for Nothing" – 4:48
5. "Bullet in the Head" – 5:09
6. "Know Your Enemy" – 4:55
7. "Wake Up" – 6:04
8. "Fistful of Steel" – 5:31
9. "Township Rebellion" – 5:24
10. "Freedom" – 6:06

This album has to be one of my all time favourites, and regardless of that, it is one of the most influential albums of the decade. The combination of the straight sounding metal band with de la Rocha's rapping over the top was something that the mainstream had not really experienced before.

Couple that with the fact that it was a heavily political album, with each song being pertinent without being pretentious, makes this to be an excellent album. Killing in the Name is probably the simplest song you will ever come accross, but it is the sort of simplicity that takes genius to write. If you have ever heard it, you will appreciate the humour in the fact that BBC Radio 1 broadcast it in its entirety at 5pm on a Sunday afternoon, to horrified middle class parents throughout the nation.

As for it's influences, well RATM and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are responsible for the popularity of Rap Rock, and as a result are responsible indirectly for all of the late 90s rap rock acts like Limp Bizkit etc. I hate every one of those bands, but they were certainly the sound of the late 90s.

Blur - Parklife

BlurParklife.jpg

1. "Girls & Boys" – 4:51
2. "Tracy Jacks" – 4:20
3. "End of a Century" – 2:45
4. "Parklife" – 3:05
5. "Bank Holiday" – 1:42
6. "Badhead" – 3:25
7. "The Debt Collector" – 2:10
8. "Far Out" – 1:41
9. "To the End" – 4:05
10. "London Loves" – 4:15
11. "Trouble in the Message Centre" – 4:09
12. "Clover Over Dover" – 3:22
13. "Magic America" – 3:38
14. "Jubilee" – 2:47
15. "This Is a Low" – 5:07
16. "Lot 105" – 1:17

I believe that Blur never cracked America, and probably not Oceania either, but in Britain they were huge. This album was the final certification that Britpop had arrived, and it was in direct competition with Oasis' debut, starting a rivalry that would span the rest of the decade.

It is not Blur's best album, nor is it the most britpoppy, but it was the most popular. The album is quintessentially British, and if you have no idea of British culture, you will probably have difficulty in grasping it properly.

That's it for now. I have more, and will post them later.

Another one that was partially the brainchild of me reading IC's post is this one

Everclear_So_Much_for_the_Afterglow.jpg

EverClear's "So Much For the Afterglow"

I choose this album over their Sparkle and Fade, only because it marked their change and the change that led the 90's end of a decade.

The album changed music officially, reflecting music from its early 90 alternative grunge feel into a more powerful popular music. They became a band that was almost considered popular music, and made it cool to like them. Without Everclear, I really don't think that the end of the decade would have beent he same, they defiantly created a feeling of the late 90s.

1. "So Much for the Afterglow" 3:53
2. "Everything to Everyone" 3:20
3. "Ataraxia (Media Intro)" 0:34
4. "Normal Like You" 3:13
5. "I Will Buy You a New Life" 3:58
6. "Father of Mine" 3:52
7. "One Hit Wonder" 3:28
8. "El Distorto de Melodica" 3:07
9. "Amphetamine" 3:36
10. "White Men in Black Suits" 3:32
11. "Sunflowers" 3:48
12. "Why I Don't Believe in God" 4:17
13. "Like a California King / Hating You for Christmas" 8:08

I always call the 90's the decade on Hip-Hop it brought the east vs. west coast feud with the two greatest rappers of all time 2pac and The Notorouis B.I.G. and they produced albums that not only changed the decade but changed the music industry for ever.

2Pacalypse Now
2pacalypse_now.schmiddy.jpg

1 "Young Black Male 2:35
2 "Trapped" 4:44
3 "Soulja's Story" 5:05
4 "I Don't Give a Fuck" 4:20
5 "Violent" 6:25
6 "Words of Wisdom" 4:54
7 "Something Wicked" 2:28
8 "Crooked Ass *****" 4:17
9 "If My Homie Calls" 4:18
10 "Brenda's Got a Baby" 3:55
11 "Tha' Lunatic" 3:29
12 "Rebel of the Underground" 3:17
13 "Part Time Mutha" 5:14

Me Against the World

Meagainsttheworldcover.jpg

1 "Intro"
2 "If I Die 2Nite"
3 "Me Against the World"
4 "So Many Tears"
5 "Temptations"
6 "Young *****z"
7 "Heavy in the Game"
8 "Lord Knows"
9 "Dear Mama"
10 "It Ain't Easy"
11 "Can U Get Away"
12 "Old School"
13 "Fuck the World"
14 "Death Around the Corner"
15 "Outlaw"

All Eyez on Me

Alleyezonme.jpg

1 "Ambitionz Az a Ridah" Daz Dillinger 4:38
2 "All bout U" Nate Dogg & Snoop Dogg 2Pac; Johnny "J"

* Contains a sample "Candy" by Cameo

4:36
3 "Skandalouz" Nate Dogg Daz Dillinger

* Contains a sample "She's Strange" by Cameo

4:08
4 "Got My Mind Made Up" Daz Dillinger, Kurupt, Method Man, Redman & Inspectah Deck Daz Dillinger 5:12
5 "How Do U Want It" K-Ci and JoJo Johnny "J"

* Contains a sample of "Body Heat" by Quincy Jones

4:47
6 "2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted" Snoop Dogg Daz Dillinger 4:06
7 "No More Pain" DeVante Swing 6:14
8 "Heartz of Men" DJ Quik

* Contains a portion of the "That ******'s Crazy" comedy album by Richard Pryor
* Contains a portion of "Darling Nikki"by Prince and The Revolution

4:43
9 "Life Goes On" Johnny "J" 5:01
10 "Only God Can Judge Me" Rappin' 4-Tay Doug Rasheed 4:56
11 "Tradin War Stories" C-Bo, Dramacydal & Storm Mike Mosley; Rick Rock

* Contains a sample of "Too little in common" by Randy Brown

5:29
12 "California Love (Remix)" Dr. Dre & Roger Troutman Dr. Dre

* Contains a sample of"Woman to Woman" by Joe Cocker
* Contains a sample of "Intimate Connection" by Kleeer,as written by Norman Dunham and Woody Cunningham
* Contains vocal samples from "West Coast Poplock" by Ronnie Hudson and the Street People
* Contains vocal samples from "California knows how to Party" by Roger Troutman

6:25
13 "I Ain't Mad at Cha" Danny Boy Daz Dillinger

* Contains a sample of "A Dream" by DeBarge

4:53
14 "What'z Ya Phone #" Danny Boy 2Pac; Johnny "J"

* Contains a sample of "777-9311" by The Time

5:09

[edit] Book 2
# Title Featured Guest(s) Producer(s) Sample(s) Length
1 "Can't C Me" George Clinton Dr. Dre 5:30
2 "Shorty Wanna Be a Thug" Johnny "J" * Contains a sample of "Wildflower" by Hank Crawford 3:51
3 "Holla at Me" Jewell Bobby "Bobcat" Ervin 4:55
4 "Wonda Why They Call U Bitch" Faith Evans (Uncredited) Johnny "J" 4:18
5 "When We Ride" Outlawz DJ Pooh 5:09
6 "Thug Passion" Dramacydal, Jewell, & Storm Johnny "J" 5:07
7 "Picture Me Rollin'" Big Syke, C.P.O. & Danny Boy Johnny "J"

* Contains a sample of "Winter Sadness" by Kool and the Gang

5:14
8 "Check Out Time" Big Syke & Kurupt Johnny "J" 4:39
9 "Ratha Be Ya *****" Richie Rich Doug Rasheed

* Contains an interpolation of "I'd Rather Be with You" by Bootsy Collins

4:14
10 "All Eyez on Me" Big Syke Johnny "J"

* Contains a sample of "Never Gonna Stop" by Linda Clifford

5:07
11 "Run tha Streetz" Michel'le, Mutah & Storm Johnny "J" 5:16
12 "Ain't Hard 2 Find" B-Legit, C.P.O., & E-40 Mike Mosley; Rick Rock 4:28
13 "Heaven Ain't Hard 2 Find" Danny Boy QDIII 3:59
14 "California Love (Short Radio Edit)"* 4:46

I realized I forgot B.I.G.

Ready to Die

Ready_To_Die.jpg

1 "Intro" 3:24 Christopher Wallace Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen *Interlude*

* "Superfly" by Curtis Mayfield
* "Rapper's Delight" by Sugarhill Gang
* "Top Billin'" by Audio Two
* "Tha Shiznit" by Snoop Dogg

2 "Things Done Changed" 3:58 Christopher Wallace Dominic Owens and Kevin Scott
(remaster version) Darnell Scott The Notorious B.I.G.

* "Summer Breeze" by The Main Ingredient
* "California My Way" by The Main Ingredient
* "Lil Ghetto Boy" by Dr. Dre
* "The Vapors" by Biz Markie
* "Back in the days" by Ahmad

3 "Gimme the Loot" 5:04 C. Wallace, B. Higgins, C. Martin, F. Scruggs, J. Jackson, K. Elam, K. Fareed, K. Jones, O. Harvey, T. Taylor, Taylor Easy Mo Bee The Notorious B.I.G.

* "Coldblooded" by James Brown
* "Throw Ya Gunz" by Onyx (vocals by Sticky Fingaz)
* "What They Hittin' Foe?" by Ice Cube
* "Just to Get a Rep" by Gang Starr (vocals by Guru)
* "Scenario" (Remix) by A Tribe Called Quest (vocals by Kid Hood)

4 "Machine Gun Funk" 4:17 C. Wallace, A. Wardrick, C. Martin, D. Kelly, K. Elam, K. Hansford, M. Williams, O. Harvey Easy Mo Bee The Notorious B.I.G.

* "Something Extra" by Black Heat
* "Up for the Down Stroke" by Fred Wesley & The Horny Horns
* "Chief Rocka" by Lords of the Underground (vocals by Mr. Funke)

5 "Warning" 3:40 C. Wallace, B. Bacharach, H.B. David, O. Harvey Easy Mo Bee The Notorious B.I.G.

* "Walk on By" by Isaac Hayes

6 "Ready to Die" 4:24 C. Wallace Easy Mo Bee The Notorious B.I.G.

* "Singing in the Morning" by The Ohio Players
* "Impeach the President" (Drums) by The Honey Drippers
* "Hospital Prelude of Love Theme" by Willie Hutch
* "Ain't No Half Steppin'" by Big Daddy Kane
* "Two to the Head" by Kool G Rap & DJ Polo (vocals by Scarface)

7 "One More Chance" 4:43 C. Wallace, C. Thompson, N. Glover, R. Ellis, S. Combs Sean "Puffy" Combs & Chucky Thompson for The Hitmen
The Bluez Brothers The Notorious B.I.G., Faith Evans, Mary J. Blige, Total (additional vocals), Chucky Thompson (instruments)

* "Hydra" by Grover Washington, Jr.
* "Who's Making Love?" by Lou Donaldson (Remix to the remix version)
* "Stay With Me" by Debarge (Sampled for non-album remix version)
* "I Want You Back" by The Jackson 5 (chorus)

8 "Fuck Me (Interlude)" 1:31 Christopher Wallace Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen The Notorious B.I.G., Lil' Kim

* "Feenin'" by Jodeci

9 "The What" 3:57 C. Wallace, O. Harvey, C. Smith Easy Mo Bee The Notorious B.I.G., Method Man

—
10 "Juicy" 5:02 C. Wallace, J. Mtume, J. Oliver, S. Combs Poke & Sean "Puffy" Combs

* Pete Rock, whose version of the song appears as a remix released on the 12" single, claims to have had the idea stolen by Combs, who produced his own version for the album.

The Notorious B.I.G., Total (additional vocals)

* "Juicy Fruit" by Mtume

11 "Everyday Struggle" 5:19 Christopher Wallace The Bluez Brothers The Notorious B.I.G.

* "Either Way" by Dave Grusin

12 "Me & My Bitch" 4:00 C. Wallace, C. Thompson, N. Glover, R. Ellis, S. Combs Sean "Puffy" Combs & Chucky Thompson for The Hitmen
The Bluez Brothers The Notorious B.I.G., Sybil Pennix (voice), Chucky Thompson (instruments)

* "Computer Love" by Zapp (Live Remix version not album version)

13 "Big Poppa" 4:13 C. Wallace, C. Jasper, E. Isley, M. Isley, O. Isley, R. Isley Sean "Puffy" Combs & Chucky Thompson for The Hitmen The Notorious B.I.G.

* "Between the Sheets" by The Isley Brothers
* "Dolly My Baby (remix)" by Super Cat

14 "Respect" 5:21 Christopher Wallace Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen
Jean "Poke" Oliver The Notorious B.I.G., Diana King (additional vocals)

* "I Get Lifted" by George McCrae

15 "Friend of Mine" 3:28 Christopher Wallace Easy Mo Bee The Notorious B.I.G.

* "Vicious" by Black Mamba
* "Seventh Heaven" by Gwen Guthrie
* "The Jam" (Drums) by Graham Central Station
* "Spirit of the Boogie" by Kool & The Gang

16 "Unbelievable" 3:43 C. Wallace, C. Martin, R. Kelly DJ Premier The Notorious B.I.G.

* "Remind Me" by Patrice Rushen (Where?)
* "Impeach the President" (Drums) by The Honey Drippers
* "The What" by The Notorious B.I.G.
* "Your Body's Callin'" by R. Kelly

17 "Suicidal Thoughts" 2:50 C. Wallace, R. Hall Lord Finesse The Notorious B.I.G., Puff Daddy (backing vocals)

* "Lonely Fire" by Miles Davis

18 "Who Shot Ya?"* 5:19 C. Wallace, A. Wrubel, H. Magidson, N. Myrick, S. "Puffy" Combs Sean "Puffy" Combs & Nashiem Myrick for The Hitmen The Notorious B.I.G., Puff Daddy (backing vocals)

* "I'm Afraid the Masquerade Is Over" by David Porter

19 "Just Playing (Dreams)"* 2:43 C. Wallace, R. Smith Rashad Smith The Notorious B.I.G.

* "Blues and Pants" by James Brown

Life After Death

NotoriousB.I.G.LifeAfterDeath.jpg

Track listing

[edit] Disc one
# Title Time Songwriters Producers Additional Performers Samples[2]
1 "Life After Death (Intro)"* 1:40 C. Wallace,
S. Jordan,
Sean Combs Sean "Puffy" Combs & Steven "Stevie J" Jordan for The Hitmen, co-produced by The Notorious B.I.G.

* Contains a sample of "Suicidal Thoughts" by The Notorious B.I.G.
* Contains a sample of "This Masquerade" by George Benson

2 "Somebody's Gotta Die"* 4:26 C. Wallace,
Sean Combs,
A. Hester,
Nasheim Myrick,
Carlos Broady Nashiem Myrick, Carlos "6 July" Broady & Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen

* Contains a sample of "In the Rain" by The Dramatics

3 "Hypnotize" 3:45 C. Wallace,
R. Alpert,
D. Angelettie,
Andy Armer,
Sean Combs,
Ron Lawrence Deric "D-Dot" Angelettie, Ron "Amen-Ra" Lawrence & Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen

* Contains a sample of "Rise" by Herb Alpert

* Interpolates "La Di Da Di" by Slick Rick & Doug E. Fresh

4 "Kick in the Door"* 4:46 C. Wallace,
J. Hawkins,
Chris E. Martin DJ Premier

* Contains a sample of "I Put A Spell On You" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins
* Contains a sample of "Unbelievable" by The Notorious B.I.G.
* Contains a sample of "Get Money" by Junior M.A.F.I.A.
* Contains a sample of "Wash Yo' Ass" by Martin Lawrence
* Contains a sample of "Robby, The Cook, And 60 Gallons Of Booze" by Louis & Bebe Barron

5 "Fuck You Tonight" 5:45 C. Wallace,
Sean Combs,
D. Jones,
R. Kelly Daron Jones & Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen R. Kelly
6 "Last Day"* 4:19 C. Wallace,
Kejuan Muchita,
J. Phillips,
Dorothy Stiles Havoc, co-produced by Sean "Puffy" Combs & Stevie J for The Hitmen The L.O.X.
7 "I Love the Dough"* 5:11 C. Wallace,
S. Carter,
O. Harvey,
R. Moore,
Angela Winbush Easy Mo Bee Angela Winbush, Jay-Z

* Contains a sample of *"I Love You More" by Rene & Angela

8 "What's Beef?"* 5:15 C. Wallace,
Carlos Broady,
Nasheim Myrick Nashiem Myrick & Carlos "6 July" Broady for the Hitmen, co-produced by Paragon

* Contains a sample of "Can You Rock It Like This" by Run-DMC

9 "B.I.G. Interlude" 0:48 C. Wallace,
D. Angelettie The Notorious B.I.G. & Deric "D-Dot" Angelettie for The Hitmen

* Contains a sample of *"P.S.K. What Does It Mean?" by Schooly D

10 "Mo Money Mo Problems" 4:17 C. Wallace,
M. Betha,
Sean Combs,
B.H. Edwards,
S. Jordan,
Nile Rodgers Steven "Stevie J" Jordan & Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen Puff Daddy, Ma$e

* Contains a sample of *"I'm Coming Out" by Diana Ross

11 "*****s Bleed"* 4:51 C. Wallace,
Sean Combs,
S. Jordan,
Nasheim Myrick Nashiem Myrick, Carlos "6 July" Broady & Steven "Stevie J" Jordan for The Hitmen
12 "I Got a Story to Tell"* 4:43 C. Wallace,
A. Best Buckwild for Kurrup Money Entertainment, co-produced by Chucky Thompson & Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen,

* Contains a sample of *"I'm Glad You're Mine" by Al Green

[edit] Disc two
# Title Time Songwriter(s) Producer(s) Additional Performers Sample(s)
1 "Notorious Thugs" 6:07 C. Wallace,
Sean Combs,
A. Henderson,
S. Howse,
S. Jordan,
Bryon McCane Steven "Stevie J" Jordan & Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen Bone Thugs-N-Harmony

* Contains a sample of "More Than Love" by Ohio Players

2 "Miss U" 4:59 C. Wallace,
Kaygee Gist,
Lionel Richie Kay Gee 112

* Contains a sample of "Missing You" by Diana Ross

3 "Another" 4:15 C. Wallace,
Sean Combs,
N. Ingram,
K. Jones,
S. Jordan Steven "Stevie J" Jordan & Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen Lil' Kim

* Contains a sample and interpolation of "Another Man" by Barbara Mason

4 "Going Back to Cali" 5:07 C. Wallace,
O. Harvey,
Roger Troutman Easy Mo Bee

* Contains a sample of "More Bounce To The Ounce" by Zapp

5 "Ten Crack Commandments"* 3:24 C. Wallace,
Chris E. Martin DJ Premier

* Contains a sample of "Valantra" by Les McCann
* Contains a sample of "Shut 'Em Down" by Public Enemy

6 "Playa Hater" 3:57 C. Wallace,
Sean Combs,
W. Hart,
S. Jordan Sean "Puffy" Combs & Steven "Stevie J" Jordan for The Hitmen

* Contains a sample of "Hey! Love" by The Delfonics

7 "Nasty Boy" 5:26 C. Wallace,
Sean Combs,
S. Jordan Sean "Puffy" Combs & Steven "Stevie J" Jordan for The Hitmen

8 "Sky's the Limit" 5:29 C. Wallace,
Bobby Caldwell,
Hubert Eaves,
Clark Kent,
J. Williams Clark Kent 112

* Contains a sample of "Keep On" by D. Train
* Contains a sample of "My Flame" by Bobby Caldwell

9 "The World Is Filled..."* 4:54 C. Wallace,
D. Angelette,
Sean Combs,
T. Shaw,
K. Walker Deric "D-Dot" Angelettie & Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen Carl Thomas, Puff Daddy, Too Short

* Contains a sample of "Space Talk" by Asha Puthli
* Contains a sample of "The What" by The Notorious B.I.G.

10 "My Downfall"* 5:26 C. Wallace,
Carlos Broady,
Sean Combs,
Darryl McDaniels,
Nasheim Myrick Carlos "6 July" Broady, Nashiem Myrick & Sean "Puffy" Combs for The Hitmen DMC

* Contains a sample of "You're All I Need To Get By" by Marvin Gaye
* Contains a sample of "For The Good Times" by Al Green

11 "Long Kiss Goodnight"* 5:18 C. Wallace,
Robert Diggs RZA

* Contains a sample of "The Letter" by Al Green
* Contains a sample of "The Letter" by Grant Green

12 "You're Nobody (Til Somebody Kills You)" 4:52 C. Wallace,
Sean Combs,
Gary Johnson,
S. Jordan,
E. Lopez,
B. Preston Sean "Puffy" Combs & Steven "Stevie J" Jordan for The Hitmen, co-produced by DJ Enuff & Jiv Poss

For me, the 90's were also defined by the rise of girl and boybands. To that effect I am including the first albums by the most seminal acts in those two genres in the UK. This means that the Spice Girls and Take That get a mention.

spice.jpg

Spice Girls - Spice

1. "Wannabe"

2. "Say You'll Be There"

3. "2 Become 1"

4. "Love Thing"

5. "Last Time Lover"

6. "Mama"

7. "Who Do You Think You Are"

8. "Something Kinda Funny"

9. "Naked"

10. "If U Can't Dance"

04.jpg

Take That - Take That & Party

1. "I Found Heaven" (Billy Griffin , Ian Levine) – 4:01
2. "Once You've Tasted Love" (Gary Barlow) – 3:43
3. "It Only Takes a Minute" (Brian Potter , Dennis Lambert) – 3:46
4. "A Million Love Songs" (Gary Barlow) – 3:52
5. "Satisfied" (Gary Barlow) – 4:29
6. "I Can Make It" (Gary Barlow) – 4:10
7. "Do What You Like" (Gary Barlow, Ray Hedges) – 3:06
8. "Promises" (Gary Barlow, Graham Stack) – 3:34
9. "Why Can't I Wake Up With You" (Gary Barlow) – 4:12
10. "Never Want To Let You Go (New Studio Mix)" (Gary Barlow) – 4:56
11. "Give Good Feeling" (Gary Barlow) – 4:23
12. "Could It Be Magic (Radio Rappino Mix)" (Adrienne Anderson, Barry Manilow) –3:30 (appears only on the CD release)
13. "Take That and Party" (Gary Barlow, Ray Hedges) – 2:54

Another seminal album from the decade is Radiohead's OK Computer. Personally, I think that Radiohead are hugely overrated, but this album is by far their best and although it is characteristically pretentious, I still like it, and it certainly deserves to feature in a list of the best albums of the 1990s.

Radiohead-Ok-Computer-87768.jpg

1. "Airbag" 4:44
2. "Paranoid Android" 6:23
3. "Subterranean Homesick Alien" 4:27
4. "Exit Music (For a Film)" 4:24
5. "Let Down" 4:59
6. "Karma Police" 4:21
7. "Fitter Happier" 1:57
8. "Electioneering" 3:50
9. "Climbing Up the Walls" 4:45
10. "No Surprises" 3:48
11. "Lucky" 4:19
12. "The Tourist" 5:24

Some of my favorite albums from the 90's (and they also impacted the business):

1. Ten - Pearl Jam. To say that Nirvana's Nevermind is the seminal grunge album, in my mind, is a grave oversight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Eddie the singer who's still alive? I mean, he was able to handle the stress, and didn't release three records, rather 8 ( and working on a 9th), and didn't feel the need to kill himself. I think most of Kurt's fame comes from his death, not his music.Also, Ten's songs are based on experience, or true stories.

2. Oasis- What's the Story (Morning Glory). At least in my case, this album reminded me that good bands still came from the UK. And, it kicked Oasis into the the mainstream, so that Liam and Noel could bicker on national television, and start feuds with other bands (ie, blur). Can't beat that.

3. The afore mentioned So Much for the Afterglow- The CD that started the college rock craze here in Southwest Ohio.:dark2:

2q1dorc.jpg

OK I'm Coming straight out of Louisiana so you know I gotta throw this album into the mix..This man that put Cashmoney Records on a nation wide scale baby,Juvenile sold over 10 million copys of 400 Degreez it went not multi-platinum..try diamond baby. Louisiana is my home and i'll rep it to the day I d.i.e

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back