• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AJ Styles is not the next Ric Flair

danny_the_legend_killer

Occasional Pre-Show
AJ styles has been on impact saying he is the new ric flair but in my opinion he is no where near the standard of ric flair it takes more than the tna world heavyweight title, a robe, some "$30000" earrings and as joe said on impact recently a over priced suit and some hookers and mostly ric flairs signature figure four leg lock none of these things make him the next ric flair.

other opinions are welcome and i would like to see how tna fans feel about this.

AJ will never be the next Ric Flair. No one will. He is the first and original and best AJ Styles.

The sooner everyone realises AJ and Ric are together to get AJ over as a heel, the better. For me it is working. I hate that he is abandoning everything for the Flair lifestyle. Sure he may not get the best heat in the world but they are doing OK. The figure four thing is no different to it being ripped off in WWE. HHH did it.

AJ is a great wrestler and like TNA, will come out of this bigger and better.

He is not Ric Flair but he is getting a great rub from flair he will cement his own destiny aj is a great wrestler thats an average talker so take maybe the best wrestler in the world right now and give him possibly the greatest world champion and stick man of all time in a way its very very similar to when Lex Luger had his heel turn and got Harley Race as his manager actually it really is the same when you look at how Luger turned at the end of his title match against Windham. Aj is only going to get better with Ric on his side.

I also feel AJ Styles is NOT the next Ric Flair. But I also don't think those were TNA's intentions either. Not to bash anyone who does belief this pairing is TNA's way to say AJ is the new Flair, but to believe that is pretty simple minded. With that logic you'd think TNA was trying to make Petey Williams the next Scott Steiner simply because they were paired up and he got a new nickname. But that couldn't be further from the truth as even though Petey isn't with TNA he still is running with body builder gimmick, minus the nickname.

So while AJ is paired up with Flair, it's simply a way to help AJ remain interesting. Because for all of AJ's talent, being a charismatic champion isn't one of them. I'm pretty sure TNA (or the writers) are smart enough to know that AJ can only be AJ, and not Ric Flair.

well, who could be the next ric flair? Flair is like the old adage about wine...... "he only gets better with age." While I know his wrestling ability isn't what it used to be, his ability to cut a promo, well, its still the best in the business.

His back and forth mic work with Dinero on Impact was as good of face/heel banter that you're going to see. His ability to make crowds forget how beloved he is and draw heat so suddenly is astonishing. Who else can do that? If you can find me someone better, prove it.

Then we move on to Styles. AJ is a world class athlete. He's an outstanding athlete. He can wrestle a fast paced match, a mat based one, and I don't know that Ive seen a bad Styles match. Even guys who he doesn't have great "chemistry" with(like Tomko) still come out looking better working with AJ. Theres a select few in the business that you can say that about. Flair was the same way back in the day.

Then we get down to AJ's mic work. Dinero put it best when he said "You can dress up a piece of crap, but its still crap". That would be the definition of AJ's mic work. In fact, having him WITH Flair diminshes his mic work all the more. Because Flair talks, and youre really buying what he says. Then AJ talks, and everything just falls flat. It feels forced. Hes not a good "serious heel" on the mic. At least as a face, when he gave an intense promo, you bought into what hes saying. As a heel, everything seems forced. His facial expression. The way he talks. Even the words themselves.

The other thing is when he tries to pull out "vintage" Ric Flair moves. I know they're trying to give AJ the rub by having him use those moves, but they just don't suit him whatsoever. They seem to be other things he feels quite uncomfortable doing. The figure four, the chop block, they just don't seem to be moves that are apart of his "moveset."

However, the longer he's with Ric, the more he may become comfortable in pulling off his imitation of the "dirtiest player in the game". I think a serious heel turn for AJ is exactly what he needed. Hes been a face or a comedic heel his entire career. I buy into him as a "serious heel" I wanted to see Joe knock the smarmy look off his face. I want Dinero to do the same. However, that is because of Flair, not AJ.

This isn't to knock AJ. Hes still young. Still has a ton of upside, even in his early thirties. He'll be a face again when he breaks away from Flair, and will be more well rounded because of Flair as a result. But inside or outside of the ring, he's no Ric Flair. Theres never been anyone who is. I doubt there ever will be.

AJ Styles isn't anything like Ric Flair, and TNA knows this. Which is why they've had wrestlers make fun of him during promos.

Like this past Thursday when The Pope said you that Ric Flair can try and dress him up and put highlights in his hair, but at the end of the day, he's still a piece of crap.

During the build up to AJ's match with Joe, they made reference to AJ's change in appearance and how it's nothing like the real AJ.

I'm going to have to go with the majority and say Styles will never be the next Flair. Flair was one a kind back in the day. He might not be the original Nature Boy, but he did such a great job of playing that character back in the day. Flair had something that AJ doesn't have...that 1 million dollar look. Flair talked like a champion, looked like a champion, and carried himself like a champion. I'm not saying that AJ doesn't have all these things, but Flair had all these things and took it to a very high level.

AJ Styles is just fine being the FIRST AJ Styles. He's a great wrestler, and not too shabby on the mic either because I don't think he's any where near as horrible as some people make him out to be. Styles was doing great before his heel turn. Him turning heel was shocking because he was such a squeaky clean face, add "the dirtiest player in the game" , and you've got a very interesting heel turn. I think Ric is there to add some prestige to AJ's heel turn. Flair is one of the most recognizable names in the business ever, so this can only help him.

I know TNA put Ric Flair with AJ to help his heel turn, but I think it was a huge mistake, now you have AJ out there week after week looking horrible and uncomfortable, its painful to watch AJ try so hard to be a heel, TNA would of been better off putting Flair with Daniels and feuding with AJ as Daniels is a more believable heel and just lacks the mouthpiece that Flair brings, of course it wouldn't be the same storyline but more of how Daniels continues to be overlooked time and time again and how Flair sees him as a bigger talent and can take him to the top. I think that would of been a better storyline, so answering the question no AJ is not the next Flair no one will ever be.

Just my thoughts.

I posted this on another thread but i really feel i should be heard

I am going to try to state my opinion and we can go from there.

I have been seeing TNA since the very first event on ppv. There was one guy that caught my attention and that was The Phenomenal One. At the time Aj was playing a cocky heel and it suited him perfectly. I always found the lil things he did to the tv to be very entertaining, that cocky head nod etc. At the time he was a great wrestler much like he still is today but he was really bad on the mic. If you don't know how bad go look at his third title reign as NWA/TNA World Heavyweight champion. He was champ for like three weeks or so and the promo he cut was horrid, not even watchable.

After that he went back to the X division and later became part tag champs with Daniels. After finishing that he turned heel and went on to join Christian. Now this is where he started to come out of his shell. In my mind from what Aj says on his DVD, Phenomenal aj styles vol2, he really looked up to christian on the mic skills and must of really paid attention to what Christian was doing.

We started to see a little more of the charisma that he is able to harness and bring out to the camera. When he turned face I took him more serious since I started to see him out shin everyone else in TNA and escape that generic wrestle feel that many guys like chris benoit and other get for lack of mic skills.

Now to my point....when aj styles was not being used as the focal point of TNA many of the IWC were crying and complaining. Now that TNA has made the show revolve around the Phenomenal One you guys are still not satisfied. I personally think he is trying to be annoying to get heat on himself because people still want to cheer him no matter what. Hes trying to get as much heat on himself because if he is hot then TNA is hot. I personally am enjoying his promos as the new nature boy because i am seeing that charisma AJ had in him this whole time. Look at now great he executed his promo at Against all odds before his match. I would suggest you guys go see it if you haven't. I have always been a nature boy fan and I love how aj is taking a gimmick and making it his own. I love his version of the robe with the classic hoody LOL. I believe this to be a hybrid version of the nature boy gimmick and the plumbtree gimmick.

Now I see aj styles really enjoying his gimmick now. Who wouldn't wanted to be paired up with Naitch? Heck i would jump at the opportunity to learn from Da Man. Now if you guys aren't liking aj styles, well maybe you haven't thought that maybe he has done his job and got you to not like him anymore? What ever your excuses , if you don't like the direction or his gimmick he is going then TNA is doing a good job of putting him over as a heel because they are having his fan turn on him. Yes sorry to burst your bubble but not liking him makes you not a fan of aj anymore.

Now regardless of what your opinion or my opinion put yourself in this situation. If you are a casual fan and happen to get across TNA, which version of aj styles is going to get the person's attention, The genric feel of a wrestler aj was or the styling and profiling aj styles? Which one would make TNA more money? Attract Viewers? I would rather have this version of aj on top of TNA then for him to get lost in the shuffle of the generic wreslters in TNA.

Aj is not going to be at the level of Flair ever. He is an average wrestler on all points. Look at the greatest champions and legends of all time rock,hogan,Flair,Austin and the list goes on and on of legendardy guys who were more entertaining than wrestlers. While Flair was a good wrestler he was also a great entertainer. To be a legend in wrestling you need to be a great ENTERTAINER than a great wrestler. If not you will just be a champion like Chris Beniot. Aj is just average he doesnt have the entertainment value of Flair. I have never liked him before but since he got with Flair I am liking this pairing and beating people down like the horsemen use to do.

tbh I was never a big fan of AJ. Yes yes hes smooth in the ring and can do all the flips and dives (and then not sell it) but I just never could get into him. I still cant, to an extent, but its only been a month of the "new" AJ so Im gonna treat it the way Im treating the overall product; Im giving it time. Maybe he'll grow on me, at least to the extent where he makes me care enough to wanna see him get his ass beat.

Also, having read that last line of the paragraph again I must admit he does have a face that I wanna slap - so thats a start I suppose.

As for being the new Flair or w/e, frankly I think its unfair to say "AJ will never be Flair - Flair is 100 times the wrestler" or some other equally, overly venomiss comment - and why? Well, for the simple fact that I dont think anyone, In TNA or the fans, are claiming that's what he is. Ok ok so someone will say "but they're obviously trying to make him like that, look at the suits etc etc blah blah" thats fair enough but It doesn't mean that's what they are doing - it just doesn't make sense to have him with Flair and he still comes out with jeans and a T-shirt on - no matter what direction they're taking him. He could be doing the Eugene gimmick ffs, but hes still with Flair so he would still wear suits and do all the other gaga.

At least he actually looks like a champion now - whether his overall work lives up to that or not is another matter altogether

I really don't think that's where they're trying to go with the pairing of Ric and AJ. Ric Flair is the first, and original, Ric Flair...and AJ Styles is the same. There's really no reason to read into it any further than that.

This is similar to the pairing of Flair and HHH in the WWE. Although neither wrestler needed it, it just felt right, and the performers garnered twice as much heel heat as opposed to being by themselves. Plus, it was the precursor to Evolution.

First of all, some of you really need to use punctuation. Hard to read your posts when you write like a five year old.

I hate when people ask "Who's the next Ric Flair?" Or, "who's the next Hogan?" There is NO next Hogan or Flair, Austin or Rock. He is only imitating Flair to get under the skin of the crowd. I am really liking this angle. Styles was garbage on the mic before he got together with Flair. I am not saying it is because of Flair that he is better, I just think AJ must be pretty excited about it. He has really elevate his intensity and energy on the mic, and it looks great. He is only going to get better as a talker.

AJ styles is no where near Ric Flair's level.AJ looks like a rookie with Ric by his side.Yeah he might be the TNA champ,But he still has a long way to go to put on Flairs boots.Also Flair cuts the best heelish promos and aj still needs to work on that,yeah he cuts good promos but still needs some work on that.

I actually hate this storyline. I have rarely seen people look as out of place as AJ does right now. This character doesn't fit him at all. He doesn't have the charisma to pull of a Flair type persona. Everytime they come out I just feel bad for him. He is a fish out of water in that suit, with the women and doesn't exactly "style and profile". On the other hand, Flair is back at a place that made him famous. He is the best he's been in 15 years. He doesn't need to wrestle. Give the man a mic and lets sit back and enjoy.

No, AJ is not the next Ric Flair. Yes, he looks stupid trying to be.

AJ Styles just can't be Ric Flair. Proof was in the segment with Pope, him and Flair last Thursday. Pope and Flair were doing all the talking and all AJ could say was that he was the Champion. He can't carry the look of a champion like Flair did, especially when he walks around with that goofy look on his face, and right now, he can't cut a promo like Flair can.

But what I do hope is that from AJ's experience with Flair he will learn how to cut a good promo, which is his only real trouble spot, and more importantly, help find an image that fits him nicely. AJ Styles shouldn't be trying to be the next Ric Flair, he should be trying to become the first (and only) AJ Styles.

I have to admit that I was and am to a degree still quite uneasy about AJ Styles turning Heel and supposedly becoming the next "Ric Flair". Interviews and promos have never been AJ Styles' strongest point and if you want to be near Ric Flair's caliber, that is something you need to learn to perfect.

When he first aligned with Flair, he was terrible. Flair has helped him to a degree. The suits, the highlights in the hair, along with the new robe were all a good move in making the transformation. The glasses also helped.

His interviews have improved, and I guess that is where the "shouting" that has been complained about on here, have also come into play. The shouting tends to hide his poor acting ability.

I guess acting just comes second nature for me, as it's amazing that someone can have all that in-ring talent, but be so disappointing just speaking in front of a crowd.

At this point, I would have to say no, AJ Styles is not the next Nature Boy. He is flashy in the ring, which is more tribute to a babyface, as opposed to a Heel.

Kurt Angle, I have said all along, would have been a better choice. And I realize that he may be starting to get up there in age, he still was far more similar to Ric Flair's style than AJ is.

I think the biggest issue here is that we're even trying to discuss who the next "Ric Flair" is. IMO, there is no "next", there is only the next in terms of the next big name, not the next big name to replace the older ones. That transition applies itself automatically with the evolution of the sport anyway –*there's no reason for us to force it by name every week.

Ric Flair himself was the next "Buddy Rogers", but eventually people simply stopped referring to him as such. He simply was "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair.

IMO, if anyone was "the next Ric Flair", it was Robert Roode. Yeah, the hair didn't match, but in terms of matching ring ability with the ability to get over as a cheating heel and the ability to talk on a mic while dressing flashy – Roode was the train to ride there, not Styles.

180px-Robert-Roode.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back