AJ Styles Interview

GLS1412

Dark Match Winner
Check out an excellent interview with AJ Styles in The Daily Star (first published in Friday’s newspaper). In the chat with Patrick Lennon, AJ discusses touring the UK, Destination X and dealing with criticism.

AJ STYLES says he wants to tour Britain twice a year, because once is simply not enough. In an exclusive interview, the Phenomenal Georgia-born wrestling ace, whose name is synonymous with the very highest quality matches, tells FT that he thinks his company should hop the pond more often.

He says: “I want to do it twice a year. The British fans aren’t going to be bored by seeing us twice.

“WWE go there twice a year so there’s no reason we can’t do the same.

“We are cleared to take Impact! on the road for the first time, starting in August.

“If we’re not in Orlando every time they’ll miss us. It needed to happen and I know it’s a good thing to do.”

FT isn’t going to deny that Blighty boasts the best wrestling fans on earth, and the fact isn’t lost on TNA, who know that the UK market is vital to their continued success.

Buoyant ratings are matching RAW week in week out, so the opportunity is rife to pluck new fans from the roots of the strong British wrestling base.

Styles’s main event this week with old running mate Christopher Daniels was a welcome return to high quality main event wrestling, which TNA/ Impact Wrestling execs are keen to stress is the new direction for the company.

“It’s like getting in there with your shadow,” he says. “It went really well, other than at one point he got knocked silly. He was out, so it was weird for a minute, but we got on with it.

“We prove that wrestling matters by doing PPVs like Destination X, letting guys get in there and do their thing.”

Certain indy alumni got a shot at a job during the PPV. Notable successes were Jack Evans, whom AJ describes as like a “pea in a pod” with our own PAC, and Austin Aries, whose initial TNA run ended badly in 2007.

Styles agrees Aries has got over himself a little, and is ready to succeed in TNA.

He says: “Austin Aries is a guy who knows a lot and brings a lot of experience.

“He’s not a young guy. He knows exactly what to do.”

“Experience is the key. It doesn’t matter how good an athlete you are if you don’t know what you’re doing.”

Styles also hits out at the constant criticism levelled at his company, particularly online,

“Sure it pisses me off,” he says. “Unless you work here you don’t know.

“Lots of people sit on their butt watching it on TV and write about it because they can’t be involved. They’re full of it because they can’t do what we do.

“What have they done in wrestling? They write negative stuff because they WISH they were involved.”

Not all wrestlers can make such an assertion with complete assurance. In fairness to AJ Styles, he’s pretty much untouchable. Onwards and upwards, fella.

IMPACT Wresting is every Tuesday night at 10pm on Challenge TV, the home of TNA in the UK and Ireland.

Great interview.

What do you think AJ meant by the negative comments people say about impact?

Is he talking about the dirt sheets?

Do you agree with what he says?

Posted this the other day, Styles comes across as a bit of a dumb-ass. The fans he mocks are the ones who stubbornly stick with TNA and support him and if TNA came to the UK twice a year then they wouldn't be breaking their attendance records each year.

All respect to him, he's a shameless company man. Its hard to defend TNA and not come across as being a simpleton.

If he's toeing the company line, it's strange that he even cares about the internet fans, let alone goes out of his way to criticise them. These are the fans that Eric Bischoff (annoyingly) labelled "10%ers". Why should he care? Unless of course, he sees the IWC as pretty important in relation to TNA. Now there's something. If Eric Bischoff is telling the truth and that the IWC is not an important demographic for TNA, then he - and anyone else in TNA - would do well to take a leaf out of WWE's book. That's just to ignore us.

He would say that, he works for them! TNA, at this current moment in time, is complete and utter trash. If WWE keep it up with all these awesome storylines TNA is fucking dead meat.

TNA is an improving product, anyone with an open mind who watches it knows that, anyone who says otherwise will trash any company not run by Vince. I believe AJ made a lot of good points. WWE's ratings are down, TNA's are steady, TNA consistently outperforms WWE in England, Ireland, and Mexico. Why should he believe any other way.

He would say that, he works for them! TNA, at this current moment in time, is complete and utter trash. If WWE keep it up with all these awesome storylines TNA is fucking dead meat.

funny thing is last night's ppv personified why i became a tna fan. good to see wwe actually have wrestling for once

how is he not right??

most idiots
"like" the tna facebook page just to talk shit and it probably is because they cantbe a part of it... i agree 110% with him

He's right. Lol at Y2Jake getting defensive. You mad? He's right. You are the type of people who are gonna bitch and moan about shit that you do not know about and believe people who belittle the company.

People would rather criticize TNA's ratings than talking about their ratings in the UK, Mexico, Canada, Australia and the other markets that keep the company exactly what it is.

People want TNA to go on the road but when they announce it, people complain about why didn't they do it sooner.

People complained about the X-Division PPV and criticized the company for eliminating X-Division wrestling...When all it was is a storyline. Now, the PPV is over. Everyone is criticizing them for not signing all four guys despite the fact they said they will sign SEVERAL new faces.

Oh just shut up.

WWE is utter trash. You have to be a moron to believe the Punk storyline is awesome. The promos and matches are what's overshadowing the stupidity of it.

TNA has the BFG Series, X-Division revial and Sting's new gimmick. None of those are utter trash. TNA is dead meat how? They have their own fucking fanbase.

Go back to the WWE forum, Triple H. You made no effort to discuss the topic at hand instead your bragging about WWE when in reality their still shit despite the great PPV last night.

Oh just shut up.

WWE is utter trash. You have to be a moron to believe the Punk storyline is awesome. The promos and matches are what's overshadowing the stupidity of it.

TNA has the BFG Series, X-Division revial and Sting's new gimmick. None of those are utter trash. TNA is dead meat how? They have their own fucking fanbase.

Go back to the WWE forum, Triple H. You made no effort to discuss the topic at hand instead your bragging about WWE when in reality their still shit despite the great PPV last night.

You mad, even more mad cause WWE is on fire right now.

You mad, even more mad cause WWE is on fire right now.
WWE and TNA is on fire. There is no problem with that. It's good for the business. The problem is your giving credit to a STUPID storyline and acting like people should love it.

WWE and TNA is on fire. There is no problem with that. It's good for the business. The problem is your giving credit to a STUPID storyline and acting like people should love it.

Your also calling WWE storylines stupid, you hating, I also didn't even say anything about any storylines in my post. Just said WWE is on fire, take it easy sir. Also I can't understand you calling WWE storylines stupid, when Sting is playing the joker now.

Dizzy you can call it 'stupid' all you like but I don't see anyone in the mainstream media talking about Sting acting like the Joker or TNA doing an x-division ppv.

They are talking about CM Punk and you can argue its 'stupid' all you want but its over and is by far the biggest thing happening in wrestling. WWE is hot right now.

TNA might be doing better, I actually watched the Dest-X ppv and it was better, but they can hardly be called "ON FIRE" right now.

I have issues with both companies over the last few years but WWE have started something, TNA looks like they have as well. Right now its WWE that has garnered attention not TNA.

I hope TNA can also get attention and light a fire in wrestling in general. Both companies on fire and pulling ratings is only good for wrestling in general.

@Dizzy (again) you burned these guys for being "WWE marks" but you just showed yourself to be a TNA mark by doing the same thing. NO offence intended but your post came across more aggressive and TNA fanboyish than anything they said about WWE > TNA.

Dizzy you can call it 'stupid' all you like but I don't see anyone in the mainstream media talking about Sting acting like the Joker or TNA doing an x-division ppv.

They are talking about CM Punk and you can argue its 'stupid' all you want but its over and is by far the biggest thing happening in wrestling. WWE is hot right now.

TNA might be doing better, I actually watched the Dest-X ppv and it was better, but they can hardly be called "ON FIRE" right now.

I have issues with both companies over the last few years but WWE have started something, TNA looks like they have as well. Right now its WWE that has garnered attention not TNA.

I hope TNA can also get attention and light a fire in wrestling in general. Both companies on fire and pulling ratings is only good for wrestling in general.

@Dizzy (again) you burned these guys for being "WWE marks" but you just showed yourself to be a TNA mark by doing the same thing. NO offence intended but your post came across more aggressive and TNA fanboyish than anything they said about WWE > TNA.

actually ESPN did an interview with Sting last week. Sting was hyping Bound For Glory and Destination X as well as Sting's new movie. Was a good interview.

Really? Actually ESPN did a sitdown interview with Sting talking about BFG, X-Division, etc.

Jack Evans, Low Ki, Austin Aries were all trending number 1 on twitter during their matches. Go, look on TNA's website for further proof. Destination X PPV trended on twitter during the duration it aired.

Because WWE and TNA are the only real companies. So, of course it is. Then it will wear off and nobody will care.
Their product has been on fire for the last month. Everyone has admitted it. Don't deny it.

Obviously. Impact Wrestling got it's attention last sunday.

Agreed.

But on fire or not, the CM Punk storyline is bullshit and I will tell you why:

Vince has been doing this for 20 + years and he has never had to suck anyone's dick just because they were WWE Champion or even a top wrestler.

This isn't Cena or Orton. It's Punk. Why does it have to be a big deal to sign him or let him go? But he lets Batista walk out and he is a bigger star? BUT if Cena loses, he will FIRE him and isn't Cena the biggest star in wrestling? Where is the fucking logic in the storyline?

Vince got shit dropped on him on national TV while his son in law and HBK dressed up pretending to be him and his son. And THIS would humiliate him?

He allowed Punk to shove him around but god knows how many times we saw that happen with DX and he put them through "hell" but he can't do that with Punk?

It makes no sense but Paul Heyman of all people is endorsing it. Goes to show how full of shit he really is.

They come to a thread on a AJ interview thread and they are talking about WWE. I have every right to come off aggressive.

I'd have to disagree. If somebody doesn't like the show, then it means they just don't like the show. Just because there's a negative pov doesn't mean they WANT to do what the wrestlers in TNA do...

The only issue I have with the report is the comment on how TNA outscores WWE in the ratings over here. What is often forgotten is that TNA is on free tv in the UK. I don't have Sky myself so don't watch WWE for that reason, however, I never miss an episode of Impact.

I'm sure there are many more like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back