AJ Burnett

Dr. Stinger A. Zoidberg

Stay in school and don't litter.
I don't know about you, but I am fucking sick of this guy taking the ball every 5th day for The Yankees. As shown by his last abysmal start in Minnesota, the guy can't even pitch two innings. This guy is absolutely horrible on the field, and a cancer in the clubhouse. He's become The Yankees' version of Carlos Zambrano. Hell, I'd rather have Zambrano over Burnett. It's at the point with Burnett, where I'm starting to wish that Jarrett Wright was taking the ball every start instead of him.

But I would like to talk about what happened when Burnett got pulled from the game Saturday. It was the bottom of the second with two outs; 4-0 Twins. Runners on first and second, and Joe Mauer at the plate. Burnett gets Mauer to a 3-2 count, and walks him. Girardi decides that he's seen enough, so he comes to pull Burnett out of the game. In shock, Burnett stares him down the whole way. Burnett starts to walk towards the dugout. As he's doing that, he turns over his shoulder and yells, "That's fucking bullshit!" The statement was obviously aimed towards Girardi, who appeared to yell something back. Burnett goes into the clubhouse, and Girardi follows. Now Girardi has said that nothing went on between the two, however I think this should be the last straw for both Cashman and Girardi. Burnett has been too ineffective for too long, and it's starting to hurt The Yankees. Yet time and time again, Cashman and Girardi take Burnett's back and say that he's going to get better. However, it's been obvious that nothing is changing for Burnett since August of 2010.

So do you want to see Cashman and Girardi grow a pair and do something with AJ? Maybe they hurt the reputation of the bullpen, and put him there. Maybe they acquire another pitcher to replace Burnett. Maybe they bring someone up from the minors to replace him. I however, want to see him sent down to the minors. Maybe there he can get his shit together.

What do you guys think?

Burnett gets Mauer to a 3-2 count, and walks him. Girardi decides that he's seen enough, so he comes to pull Burnett out of the game. In shock, Burnett stares him down the whole way. Burnett starts to walk towards the dugout. As he's doing that, he turns over his shoulder and yells, "That's fucking bullshit!"

Yeah, as if it was Girardi that allowed 7 runs in less than 2 innings, right?

Still, Burnett insisted afterwards he wasn't upset at Girardi, but rather at the umpire's call on the walk to Mauer. It's probably true; even if Burnett did yell at Girardi, it was just frustration at his miserable pitching performance. Girardi is smart enough to know when a guy is blowing off steam.

Still, the Yankees are all pushing toward a goal, while Burnett is being left behind. He seems to be in a different place than the rest of the team. I'm sure he feels bad about it; it's not as if he's trying to pitch badly.

But if they weren't paying him so much money, he surely would have been sent to the bullpen by now. As August turns to September, that's what's probably going to happen.

What I'd do with AJ is keep him in the rotation and either put Hughes in the bullpen (where he's succeeded before) or send him down to AAA until September callups and have him up. Sure, AJ is a headcase, but not only does he have that huge contract, but he's their best option as the #5 starter, even with this poor August. AJ has a 1.1 WAR, while not great, is better then Hughes .2, even though Hughes has only thrown 51.2 innings to AJ's 156. AJ strikes more guys out (7.62 K/9) then Phil (4.88) and walks only one guy more. His FIP is slightly lower (which is more of an indication of how he's pitching then ERA) and he pitches almost an inning more (6 IP/GS to Hughes 5.1) and is just the better option. I know, I know, AJ seems to be all over the place in the head but the thing is - hes a #5. He shouldn't be expected to do more then eat up innings and give them a chance to win more often then not. Sure, he isn't PAID like one, because obviously the Yankees overpaid for him (and who didn't know that when he was signed), but the matter of fact is he's not gonna be in the postseason rotation and Hughes has experience in the pen anyways. Plus, AJ may go off should he be thrown into the pen.

They aren't in the heat of a pennant race. They have lots of room between themselves and the Rays. AJ making 5 or 6 more starts shouldn't break their season, especially since he can give you a good outing every once in a while. I think the NY media is making a mountain out of a molehill, and that they should stick to their plan and keep AJ in the rotation, since Hughes hasn't been lighting the world on fire. Then in the playoffs they can go CC/Colon/Nova/Garcia in their rotation, should they go 4 man (which is questionable since they didn't on their way to the World Series in 09).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back