• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Abyss Needs His Bite Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
OK, so it's kind of cliche to say this sort of thing. Yeah, the big man needs to go back to being a dominant monster. It's been said of Kane, Samoa Joe and, uh, Mark Henry over the years.

In Abyss' case, it's surely true though. Oddly enough, acting like a demented ****** isn't endearing - it's confusing and irritating. Aw, he's developed a relationship with Lauren; he thinks he's people. Nobody gives a fuck.

Remember when Abyss would compete for the world title? Shit, remember when he won the world title. Remember when Abyss was up there with the Samoa Joes and the AJ Styleses for reasons to watch TNA? What the fuck happened? Is it really that hard to right this wrong?

I agree I was watching TNA tonight (im in the UK) and my sister and I both thought he looked like a homeless ******. He needs to go back being a psycho, he can have the relationship with Lauren he just needs to be more intimidating, maybe have it where he's only sane and nice to her but then go bat shit crazy on everyone else

I have a bad feeling you're doing this to prove me wrong on that "Bar Room comedy act" comment...I'll take posts here any way i can get them, so I won't complain.

Back on topic - I agree. I like Abyss in his role right now, outside of the clapping and poor attempts at promos. He started to show flashes of going back during the Monster's Ball with Mick Foley, and he even showed some signs last night against Daniels.

If he goes back to the monster as a full-time thing, that;'d be best for him, and best for TNA. There's a lot of new guys that he can feud with, and help put over with the monster role.

I thought they were turning Abyss back into the no nonsense hardcore monster at Bound For Glory, but unfortunately they didn't. They just teased us and Abyss is right back where he started. He is feuding with Dr.Stevie and losing matches at a drop of a hat.

He lost to Daniels last night after a roll up pin due to Lauren being the victim again. He was distracted last week too and ended up tapping to Bobby Lashley. Abyss has never tapped before or that fast to my knowledge. I mean does anyone care about Lauren or wrestling relationships? It was cool back in the day because of heel managers like The Sensational Sherri, but now it's just lame.

Abyss tells us every week how he was a former champion and that he is hardcore, but he is more of a mix between Kane and Eugene at this point.

Yeah Abyss needs to be that deranged mother fucker we was before, i don't find him interesting right now, he's become a shell of his former self and even tapped out for what I believe to be the first time.

Hopefully they turn him back into that monster by chokeslamming Lauren through a table or something, that could turn him into a heel straight away and look like a dont care who he hurts monster as he should.

I've never been interested in Abyss ever. But I do agree that he was slightly less uninteresting when he was a mad bastard. Now he's so incredibly boring, I can barely watch him. He doesn't do anything anymore. He does his usual hardcore matches, gives heartfelt speeches and he looks after what's her name interview girl.

So all he has left from what got him to being NWA champion is the hardcore matches. He used to actually have entertaining moments, back in the day. Sometimes he'd just have unprovoked attacks on people. Just for his own amusement. And back then, the hardcore matches weren't abused like they are now. Far too many of them. I know that's more bookings fault... But hell, isn't Abyss being crap now booking's fault? Exactly.

So yeah, bring Abyss back. He was somewhat decent when he was unstable. Now he's just predictable. I think all went downhill for Abyss right around his feud with... eh... what's his name... Messias! God that sucked. But if they remember what he was like before that feud, and they book him like that, he could be not shit once again.

Abyss hasn't been interesting in ages, if he ever really was. He's always been a third rate Mick Foley imposter (to rip off kayfabe for a moment), but over the last few years he's become about as threatening as the fat lumberjack that used to dance with bears in WCW (Big Josh). It would take a hell of a lot for me to ever take him seriously in the main event again, which is a shame, because he had some good matches back during the first few years of TNA, specifically against AJ Styles (their cage match at Lockdown is a minor classic).

Really though, I don't think Abyss is ever going to main event in TNA again, not with all of the main event talent they have now and their focus on youth. I don't see him ever being a major play in the main event scene again, sorry Sam, you'll have to get your jollies somewhere else. Perhaps Blu-Rays are on sale this week.

I would love to see Abyss go back to the monster role. I can see it in my head as I am typing right now. First, he would turn on Mick, saying all this time Mick has been playing with his mind, using him as a source of his painful pleasures. Then he could say when Raven returned and nearly choked them both out and burnt Mick, he didn't even care, all he could care about was Hogan. Then Abyss just goes awol ( I believe that's how it's spelled ) for a week or two. Then he returns, and he brings back his old chain, and chokes out Mick, thus sparking a real feud between them, and they can have as many hardcore, twisted matches as they want.

On another note though, Abyss' character, while he undergoes so many changes, I totally thought he was done having interest in Lauren. This whole thing with Abyss, while it has caused some serious character development, it has caused everyone to lose interest. I loved when Abyss was in the main events, and fighting for championships, now he's becoming more and more of a joke. Abyss needs to go back to the man who would drive anyone through a pile of tacks. Hell, I'd even bring in Sabu to try to get Abyss to his old self. It's a shame they dropped the ball with his character, because he really could have been a force to reckon with.

Abyss hasn't been interesting for a while. When the feud with Dr.Stevie first started, he was the deranged monster he used to be, but throw Lauren into the mix, and we get this weird version of Abyss we see now. I'm not saying Lauren is the cause for Abyss being dull because it started to happen long before their storyline relationship.

To me Abyss has been hot and cold this year. He was hot when the feud with Dr.Stevie started, and then he became boring for a while. Things picked up again when he feuded with Foley, and now he's dull again.

Wild-Ass Crazy idea:

Have TNA rent Abyss a Hardcore/Deathmatch/SMF "Sick Mother Fucker" championship title from Combat Zone Wrestling or Blood Sweat and Ears or some ultraviolent-sounding independent or even the rightsholders to XPW, just like they brought the IWGP titles in at various times. I'm pretty sure they could work out the business end of it, with Chris Parks picking up a few paychecks for working CZW or BSE and defending that title.

They've treated Abyss and friends as practically their own division anyway since the end of the tag team with Morgan--Abyss' playmates encounter other TNA wrestlers about as often as X division wrestlers and heavyweights interact.

SO why not go ahead with that--give sickos a reason to come after Abyss, and Abyss a source of pride, something to defend besides his health, which kayfabe he only sort of cares about, and Lauren, whose damsel-in-distress routine is getting really, really tired.

I can't say that I've ever been all that fond of Abyss, but he was certainly head and shoulders above what he is right now in TNA. To be completely honest, Abyss always struck me as a near blatant second rate rip of and amalgam of the masked Kane and Mandkind gimmicks, but he did have some good matches, there was at least some degree of intrigue about him and he looked intimidating as hell.

As of right now, however, Abyss is nothing more than an excuse to flip channels. Whenever he has a match or is doing a promo on TNA, I almost always change the channel. Now, the guy is about as threatening and intimidating as a cloudy day. They've taken a somewhat interesting wrestler and turned him into something of a whiney, sniveling 350 pound pussy.

I'm going to have a lot of trouble seeing Abyss in the main event once more if TNA ever decides to push him. There's already some good talent in, or at least flirting with, the main event scene and all of them are currently much better and far more interesting than Abyss.

all it would take to get Abyss back to the MONSTER he once was is to put Lauren though a table...absolutely manhandle Dr. Stevie, and destroy that hot creepy chick Dafney..basically, I don't think there is anyone in TNA that can take the beating needed in order to turn Abyss back to the Monster...he was once great, a cross between the Kane of the 90s and Mick Foley of Japan...but then he became Kane of recent years fighting irrelevant matches and a comedy character compared to Eric Young (did these two guys switch jobs or something??)..

but at least he still has his mask

but at least he still has his mask

Great point. And, I believe, that as long as he hides behind the mask, there's always a chance that he'll go back the Abyss of old. Look at it like this: Kane lost the mask, and within a short period of time, we were wanting the mask back on, and for Kane to be "The Big Red Monster" again...But, he doesn't have the mask, so we all know it will never happen.

Abyss still has the mask, so there's still a reason to hope...

Great point. And, I believe, that as long as he hides behind the mask, there's always a chance that he'll go back the Abyss of old. Look at it like this: Kane lost the mask, and within a short period of time, we were wanting the mask back on, and for Kane to be "The Big Red Monster" again...But, he doesn't have the mask, so we all know it will never happen.

Abyss still has the mask, so there's still a reason to hope...

This is true, so long as Abyss keeps his mask, he could return to the monster. I think TNA is smart in having Abyss keep his mask though, I mean if he were to ever lose it, everything could change. Plus, he doesn't necessarily have any kayfabe scars or burns to hide behind if the mask does ever come off.

In all honesty, I would like James Mitchell to come back and manage Abyss, hell, maybe he could even be against Abyss again. Have him in with Stevie, Raven, and Daffney, and have them working against Abyss to turn him heel/monsterish again.

Have Raven reform the Flock with Dr. Dtevie. Have guys come in who Stevie says is his most insane patients. Let that be guys like Brodie Lee, Deranged, Brian Damage, Judas Messia, Necro, or someone like Big Daddy V. Abyss could get his hardcore monster status back with the fans. Or just bring back James Mitchell and have him manage Abyss again.

need guys to take the bumps..nobody on the card right now will take them at the rate needed to turn Abyss into the Monster again

I agree abyss is a total bitch now days. Monsters don't have feelings they kick ass and the mask is cool if it looks cool and his don't.Don't get me wrong I want to keep a mask on him just not that cheap knock off that he has now.

Give it some time. He's over with the crowd (I don't believe it). When his steam runs out, he'll go heel. The same thing happened with EY, remember. He was a comedy act since 2007 and now he's becoming a big heel. As its been said, the mask gives off that aroma of him going "Monster" again in the future. i guess step one of "Bring The Monster Back" would be ending his feud with Stevie and Raven. Although Raven is actually the only guy in the roster that could take those hardcore bumps with him.

Abyss in a Barbwire Massacre match would have been great, but sadly Rhyno got attacked, and the match got called off. Instead, we got Abyss v Joe in a match we haven't seen in ages, and it looked good.

Abyss took a nasty beating, and even busted out the old school arm-cross in the process. Here's what I didn't like though: He tapped out again.

:wtf: This is "The Monster" Abyss! He's not supposed to feel pain. This is twice within a short time, and I can only hope it's leading to him getting a manager again...Someone who can mess with his head, and get the monster back who can kick ass and splatter the Impact Zone with blood.

The old school arm cross had me marking hard for Abyss. It was obvious who needed to win the match more last night. If Joe lost to Abyss, to me that would lose all the steam and momentum he's got behind him. Seeing Abyss tap only hurts his gimmick, which I'm sure he will come back from.

I hope someday we get to see that Rhino vs Abyss Barbedwire Massacre match, as it would truly bring the monster back out in Abyss. Abyss just needs to go hardcore again, and you'd think after what's been done to him, with the burns and all, that he would go truly insane and wreak some havoc. Oh well, only time will tell what will happen with Abyss, but we can only hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back