Abandoned & Uncharismatic Guys Are Comedy Copper

Nikkolas

Occasional Pre-Show
So this happened more frequently than I first thought.

Initially I only thought of Steve Blackman who was given the "Head Cheese" thing and Perry Saturn who I think fell in love with a mop.
These were two guys who were pretty tough and had nice looks but never could really draw or get over.

Then, as I thought of Saturn languishing in gimmick hell after the Radicalz all moved on without him, I also thought of a couple more examples.
Vito, formerly of a tag team I liked back in WCW with Johnny Stamboli, was turned into a crossdresser I think.
And after the Ministry all went their separate ways, Mideon became Naked Mideon.

So what is it with repackaging guys who just kinda suck with funny gimmicks? Is it just so they can at least provoke a slight reaction from the crowd until their contract runs out or something?

So this happened more frequently than I first thought.

Initially I only thought of Steve Blackman who was given the "Head Cheese" thing and Perry Saturn who I think fell in love with a mop.
These were two guys who were pretty tough and had nice looks but never could really draw or get over.

Then, as I thought of Saturn languishing in gimmick hell after the Radicalz all moved on without him, I also thought of a couple more examples.
Vito, formerly of a tag team I liked back in WCW with Johnny Stamboli, was turned into a crossdresser I think.
And after the Ministry all went their separate ways, Mideon became Naked Mideon.

So what is it with repackaging guys who just kinda suck with funny gimmicks? Is it just so they can at least provoke a slight reaction from the crowd until their contract runs out or something?

Didn't Saturn wear a dress or something in WCW too? I never watched Nitro regularly, but I believe I remember seeing that.

But yeah, I think comedy gimmicks like that are made even funnier when it's formerly serious, straight laced people doing it, even if they don't have the charisma or talent to pull it off normally. It's not a long term thing, but it's good for some short term laughs. And then they let them go once it wears off.

Lance Storm trying to find a personality and ending up in a thing with Rikishi was pretty much wrestlecrap after the Invasion ended. He made Vicki Guerrero look like an Olympic gymnast the way he dances!

Then of course you have Billy Gunn and Chuck Palumbo with nothing to do. Billy could no longer be the "Ass Man" and trying to be "The One" got over like a fart in church. With Chuck he had zilch to do after the Invasion. So let's throw them together with Rico and have an all out Bromance! The payoff was a man wedding where they faked the whole thing and pissing off gay rights groups.

Ah good times....

I reject the idea that Saturn couldn't draw or get over. He got pretty over in WCW for a mid-carder. Yes, he wore a dress in WCW as well to answer the question. It was part of a feud with Jericho where Jericho beat him in a match that had the dress stipulation. Saturn ultimately embraced it though and went total freak.

Bob Holly started off as "Sparky Plugg", then became Bob Holly, then Bodacious Bob as one half of the New Midnight Express, then became to "Hardcore Holly", but this time with a new family to boot: Cousins Crash Holly and Molly Holly. Then he went back to being same old boring Bob Holly. Sigh.....good times.

Yeah it seems like they stick guys with nothing else to do with a comedy role even if it doesn't suit them. It does seem more funny when a serious guy is stuck with the comedy gimmick. Steve Blackman made me laugh everytime. I remember when Dean Malenko was a ladies man and King made comments about him being with other people wives. I don't remember exactly, but it made me laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back