A sport of gentlemen.

Ferbian

Has Returned.
I caught myself thinking that football was a sport of gentlemen when I was playing Football Manager 2010 (good game by the way) and I had an thought, is it really? and what is a gentleman sport really?

We all know there's some kind of gentlemanliness (if you can say that?) over Soccer, to say the least if you ask me due to the fact that if someone is injured, for the most of times you see the team that has the ball, kicking it out off the field, the fact that for the majority of times you see the team that gets the goal kick / throw-in, shooting (or throwing) the ball to the team that kicked it off the field (something which is also done in Football Manager 2010, respect to the developers in my opinion) and while there's certainly some competitiveness behind the whole thing with rough tackles and shirt pulling etc. I would personally still consider football to be a gentleman's sport.

Other sports? I'm not quite sure to be honest, due to the fact that I don't really watch any other sports, but I could guess there's always some other sports, so I'm gonna leave you in charge of letting us know what you consider a sport of gentlemen.

Football used to be considered gentlemanly but not now all you see(on the continent especially) is diving and time wasting.Not very gentlemanly if you ask me.The most honest sport in my opinion is Golf,players call fouls on themselves,you wont see that in most sports!

I wouldnt call it a gentleman's sport, most teams only kick the ball out of play these days when it suits them, like when they are timewasting or whatever.

A large part of football now revolves around diving, lobbying to get your opponents booked or sent off, winding players up and of course copious time wasting. None of which I have a problem with, you gotta do what you gotta do to win, and if everybody else is cheating like a cunt you might as well join in.

But as far as being a gentlemanly sport goes, it's not even in the top ten, if you know, you actually created a top ten list of the most gentlemanly sports in the world.

Not at all. Most soccer players are *****, if I do say so myself. They bitch at wine at the refs, cleat their opponents, and are willing to dive anytime someone comes within 10 feet of them. At least that's the perception of many in the states. The switching the jerseys after the match is pretty cute though.

As for what is a gentleman's sport, I'm not sure. Cricket or something like that.

I think all sports have gentlemanly aspects but they also have people who drag it down. Unfortunately, nowadays football has a lot of aspects that are not gentlemanly with simulation etc. Cricket has a lot, Rugby does but the problem is the scandals in sport often dominate because they are more interesting so any sport you tried to pick will most likely have a major drawback.
Can you consider snooker a sport? Maybe that one. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back