• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A question for Dowds, or anyone who follows the [REC] films.....

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Are they worth watching? About three weeks ago, a co-worker gave me all three films on DVD, insisting I watch them. I hesitated at first, but I eventually gave in. There's a lady holding a chainsaw on the cover for [REC 3], I couldn't resist.

Well, the weeks keep going by, and the stack of DVDs are still on my dresser, and now I'm getting the "did you watch them yet?" question every other day, so I have to make up my mind soon.

The first 2 definitely are, but the 3rd is utter shit. They drop the POV camera gimmick about 30 minutes in and the leading couple are just boring as shit

Its a tough call between the first 2 but I think the second is my favourite although the end of the first is just incredibly tense.

Edit - I just found my review from the review thread.
Rec 3: Genesis (2012)

I am a huge fan of the first 2 Rec films. The zombie sub-genre is absolutely stacked and it takes some great films to garner attention and stand head(shots) and shoulders above their counterparts. The first is a claustrophobic and nerve wrought assault on the senses for 80 minutes, with the second marginally overlapping into the same time-span. The ending of the second was incredibly brutal and gave me high hopes for the 3rd entry.

Alas, the 3rd is just about perfect. Perfect, that is, as an example of a HUGE opportunity missed by the writers and director. They set up some potentially great moments and then bailed on each and every one of them.
After 20 minutes, they do away with the POV gimmick from the preceding films - which the second one continued brilliantly with the helmet cam idea I should add - and revert to a standard cinematic set-up instead. But hey, that's how Romero filmed his original groundlaying trilogy so thats not really a big concern... except when the series is named after the recording function of an on-site camera.

To tie in with it being the 3rd entry, I will limit myself to 3 of the worst wasted opportunities;

1 - A Suit of Armour. Think about this, how many zombie films have had the stones and ability to don their hero in a suit of armour? Yes he'll be slow-moving and clumsy, but he'll be all but immune from their bites and if one does try to bite, you have a money shot of a special effects trick to portray teeth breaking out of the zombies face and falling uselessly to the floor.
So what does Rec 3 do? The groom dresses up in the armour then does his best to avoid zombies. A fucking waste.

2 - Sponge John. A recurring joke in the film is an entertainer at the wedding reception dressed up to resemble Sponge Bob but as he can't get clearance to use the name he keeps telling people that he's Sponge John. It's ridiculous but amusing. He provides a jolt to a couple of characters in human form but doesn't appear again as a zombie. A zombie Sponge John!? Why NOT do something with that!?

3 - Actually killing some fucking zombies. Call me a gore-hound, but a zombie film's entertainment (or at least some of it) comes from inventive ways of cutting down zed heads and seeing characters start to let loose on their unapologetic killing sprees; think the blonde army character in Dawn of the Dead.
There is one inventive death and a couple somewhat cool ones, but if this is the zombie film with the lowest zombie death count then it wouldn't at all surprise me.

All in all it was alright and had a few good moments, but the longer the film goes on the more the frustration builds at how flippantly characters die without much retribution from the survivors. The ending is pretty terrible too.

3/10

Something else just hit me, Quarantine is a remake based on the original [REC]. When I first saw Quarantine in theaters, I told myself I would look up the original, but I forgot about it. Oh, well.

I'll watch the first two, and if I'm still interested after #2, then I'll give the third one a try. Thanks, Dowds.

1 & 2 were fantastic, and I enjoyed the second one more than the first. But yeah, [REC] 3 is a dud. SpongeJohn is good for a few laughs, but after they dropped the found-footgae style, [REC] 3 just goes into the toilet. Hopefully, [REC] 4 will be better.

Glad you enjoyed them! The whole thing with the priest in the second one was a bit of a gamble and I'm not sure how well it went down with other audiences, but it was an interesting addition that probably was down to it being set in Spain and specifically Barcelona. I'm sure its something like 85% of their population are Catholic.

The third isn't outright terrible, but what was unforgivable was having someone dress in a suit of armour then act like the world's biggest pussy in trying to save his newly wed bride. Fuck that noise.

Hopefully the 4th returns to the apartments and they just pretend that they never made the 3rd. Thats what my plan is.

Haha it took me a second read to pick up on SpongeJohn. Another missed opportunity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back