A plea: keep it kayfabe

tehblogger

The Young God, walking abroad
Reading through a couple of initial threads, there's been a bit of non-kayfabe creep: HHH should go over Lesnar because he's "done more for the business", Edge should go over Bret for the same reason, or vice versa. Etc.

No. Please. Stop. Last year's tourney was awesome because nearly everyone voted kayfabe. This event should stay a straight-up, straight-down "in their prime, who would win?". None of this bullshit about who drew bigger ratings or sold more T-shirts or was "the face of the company" for the longer.

Because the reality is, people, that if we allow non-kayfabe creep in, then this tournament becomes completely pointless because one man wins every damn year: Hulk Hogan. And even the most ardent Hulkamaniacs would get bored by that pretty quick, I think.

So please. Keep kayfabe.

I could essentially just say I like someone better with no real reason. That's what is going to make this so fun/frusterating.

Because the reality is, people, that if we allow non-kayfabe creep in, then this tournament becomes completely pointless because one man wins every damn year: Hulk Hogan. And even the most ardent Hulkamaniacs would get bored by that pretty quick, I think.

So please. Keep kayfabe.
Non-kayfabe would actually keep guys like Hogan, Warrior etc. from sweeping the polls, not the reverse, so I don't follow what you mean. But yea I'm voting based on personal preference, not who "won" the most phony matches on a scripted TV show.

Reading through a couple of initial threads, there's been a bit of non-kayfabe creep: HHH should go over Lesnar because he's "done more for the business", Edge should go over Bret for the same reason, or vice versa. Etc.

No. Please. Stop. Last year's tourney was awesome because nearly everyone voted kayfabe. This event should stay a straight-up, straight-down "in their prime, who would win?". None of this bullshit about who drew bigger ratings or sold more T-shirts or was "the face of the company" for the longer.

So please. Keep kayfabe.

But... wouldn't that keep John Cena at the top, 100% of the time? Also, wouldn't that keep people on the mid-card away from people like Hogan, AJ Styles, Undertaker, etc? There would be a definite group of winners in this tournament, and it would be as predictable as any squash match on WWE.

Just vote by personal preference.

The thing I find amusing is that those who say keep it kayfabe and those who say its about the wrestler use Hulk Hogan winning every year if we used the other system. Frankly, it doesn't happen. What makes the tournament interesting is different people using different criteria. To me, it's fucking obvious that it should be kayfabe, because otherwise the stipulations and the locations don't make sense. To others, it's all about what takes Mitsuhara Misawa forward, and that's there perogative. If this tournament was real, the final would be Hulk Hogan against a huge heel, but it isn't and people vote how they do for a multitude of reasons, and that's what makes interesting discussion.

In the end, the WrestleZone Tournament is about one thing, and one thing only...finding justification to vote your favorite wrestler through, no matter what that justification may be. That's really it. In the end, the person who advances is the one you want to advance, for whatever reason. If arguing kayfabe is the means to get your wrestler through, then you argue kayfabe. If drawing numbers is how you do it, then that's what you argue. If classic matches is how you are able to get your guy to advance, that's what you do.

The WZ Tournament is not about any one defined way to vote, it's just fun to find a justification to support your vote.

it's just fun to find a justification to support your vote.

That and the numerous amount of people that will most likely vote cause he's simply their favorite, or because they didn't know the other (at least that's what I've heard was a popular choice last year)

Personally I couldn't care less how the votes get through, I'm gonna just enjoy this, enjoy debating about why I think Z is better than Y and to take some kayfabe into it if I choose to, why I think Z is superior in that match.

It's all fun, for the sake of debating, this tournament (if you ask me) is a great place for the "rookies" to put themselves forth as good debaters, that's at least what I'll focus partially on and the rest is just pure fun and to religiously debate Shawn through another year (yep yep here comes the favorite biased point in it.. but I still think Shawn kayfabe, biased etc. or not, is one of the best all around wrestlers to step into the squared ring)

Jesus. Christ.

Look, I was once like you, and found kayfabe the most important thing here, but really, it isn't. Sure, some kayfabe logic is great, but don't sit here and tell that because of kayfabe, Kane can fucking defeat Hulk Hogan. There's no set criteria to this tournament, and you should be able to vote as you damn well please.

As for me; I'm going to be voting on three criteria;

1. Who has been more important to the world of wrestling, in general.
2. Who has drawn more (Usually these two thoughts go hand in hand)
3. If the first two can't decide it, I'll honestly pick based on who puts a better argument. No, I'm not a fucking sheep for doing that, I'm persuaded by a better argument. If X can convince me why Mike Awesome goes over Rick Rude, I'll reward him by saying his post made me think more about the actual contest. Same for if Shocky can convince me Lesnar goes over HHH, or if Thunder can do otherwise. I feel they're about the same, so why not go upon who can make the better argument.

Bottom line, there's no standard way everyone should vote. So please, don't try and force feed this kayfabe garbage. Vote kayfabe if you want, but don't try to sway everyone else to do the same.

Since this thread has basically shown me we are to vote any way we like, I think I'm just going to go match by match, and pick who I like better. Combining in-ring ability, character, mic skills and in-ring psychology. Sounds pretty simple. I was kind of confused before on reasons why I should vote for someone, but it seems everyone has a different opinion on why you should vote for a certain individual.

For what its worth, I'm not entirely sure Edge "has done more for the business" than Bret Hart. Neither truly carried their Company, during their time. But both were significant help with making it worth watching and drawing in fans.

No. Please. Stop. Last year's tourney was awesome because nearly everyone voted kayfabe.

If everyone voted Kayfabe, then wouldn't the Finals had been Hulk Hogan v. Steve Austin, or The Undertaker? Instead, it was Edge making a shocking run.

This event should stay a straight-up, straight-down "in their prime, who would win?".

And how exactly would you determine, in their prime's, who could win between two guys from two different eras? Constant draws?

None of this bullshit about who drew bigger ratings or sold more T-shirts or was "the face of the company" for the longer.

Technically, the Wrestlers who sold the most merch. and drew the bigger fan base, and even "became the top faces of 'said' company".. were the guys who'd win the most through kayfabe.

Do you know what kayfabe even means? I'm beginning to think you have it confused.

Because the reality is, people, that if we allow non-kayfabe creep in, then this tournament becomes completely pointless because one man wins every damn year: Hulk Hogan.

And yet.. Hulk Hogan has not won this Tournament, in the past 3 years its been going on.

We've had Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, and Bret Hart.

And even the most ardent Hulkamaniacs would get bored by that pretty quick, I think.

Actually, just like Austin fans - I believe if their favorite were to win every year, they'd be perfectly fine with it.

Boring? Absolutely. But no true fan of 'said' Wrestler, would ever want them to lose, simply to "spice things up".

So please. Keep kayfabe.

Wiki said:
In professional wrestling, kayfabe (pronounced /ˈkeɪfeɪb/) is the portrayal of events within the industry as "real." That is, the portrayal of professional wrestling as being genuine or not worked. Referring to events or interviews as being a "work" means that the event/interview has been "kayfabed" or staged, or is part of a wrestling angle while being passed off as legitimate.

Just to clear up what kayfabe is, because again - I think you may be confused.

Also, I certainly will not be voting Kayfabe in the Moolah/Hogan match. Moolah deserves to win, because having Hogan win would make him look like a Woman beater. Is that what Hogan is? A Woman beater?

A vote for Hogan is a vote for hating Women.

Moolah deserves to win, because having Hogan win would make him look like a Woman beater. Is that what Hogan is? A Woman beater?

A vote for Hogan is a vote for hating Women.

Haha, by this mentality, who would eliminate Moolah? Or would she win the whole tournament?

Haha, by this mentality, who would eliminate Moolah? Or would she win the whole tournament?

Chris Jericho and here's your proof:

if7w2r.jpg

The way I approach these tourney's is simple...I look at each match, I decide for myself who I think would "realistically" win said match, based on how they were booked during the majority of their career. In some cases it's easy, such as when performers are facing each other who actually have a body of work fighting each other. In other cases it becomes a matter of common sense. Would Shelton Benjamin ever go over Hogan? Really? Please.

Then you have matches such as last year's final; Bret Hart vs Edge. While I in no way believed that Edge should have made it to that point, once he was in that match I believed he could and should beat Bret Hart. I argued as such, and I voted accordingly. Even though the two were from different eras and had never faced each other, I based my vote off of my perception of the abilities each man possessed.

So yeah, kayfabe is one way to vote. Good luck in using kayfabe to find a winner between Piper/Dibiasi, or Hogan/Austin, Sting/HBK...it just won't work...

The ref? And if not him then I'm sure Mae Young could provide a suitable substitute.

Why would the ref stand in the way of Jericho beating the living hell out of Moolah?

Mae Young.. urgh.. but then again Jericho would automatically advance cause she'd be all over him.

Why would the ref stand in the way of Jericho beating the living hell out of Moolah?

Because the ref would be telling Jericho to back off to Jericho's annoyance and then he would go to punch the ref only for the ref to dodge him and Jericho to accidently hit Moolah. Simple.

Mae Young.. urgh.. but then again Jericho would automatically advance cause she'd be all over him.[/QUOTE]

Exactly so check and mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back