• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A parent in today's world = scary thoughts

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
So, my fiancee is 4 months and 22 days pregnant with our first child and there's one thing that scares the living shit out of me...

Why the hell is she born in today's society? Why the she going to have to grow up with the horrible world that we see day by day?

In this world, you hear more and more cases about murder, rape, suicide, assaults, theft, and so many other crimes where in the old days you wouldn't hear as much about it. In today's society, you hear about police officers becoming criminals, and people assaulting police officers. Hell, in today's society, I am now scared out of my ass to get from work to home and where I work.. it used to be a great place exactly 10 months ago. 10 months ago, I could go out of the store I work at and actually talk to some of the customers without fear of them pulling a gun on me.

Why in this world does my child, or any child for that matter, have to be raised in such a demonic world? What ever happened to human morals?

I can't be the only parent here who has extreme fears about the society kids are growing up in.

First of all calm down. It's not that there's more crime today, it's that the news is on 24 hours a day and has greater access than ever before. Sensationalism sells, and murder, rape, torture....these are senstational stories.

This is the best time to raise a child in. There is greater opportunity, greater access to knowledge, and more paths to greatness than ever before. Children today get such a great head start. The brain has been picked apart so well that education can be catered to distinct learning styles. We are close to being able to offer individualized curriculum in school.

The global economy and the internet have led to such great cultural understanding that racism, xenophobia, and the like are dropping. We understand each other, share more information, and because of that, our children are exposed to different problem solving methods which will only benefit them as the questions of how and when have turned to why.

When you're asking why, you have reached a new plane. The lowest level of thinking is who. The next is when, and then what. Next is how. When you get to to why, you are searching for understanding of the universe beyond what you experience.

This is a great time to raise a child. If nothing else, stop watching the news if you're going to freak yourself out. Seek alternative means of gathering information. Read Popular Mechanics, watch the History Channel. Understand that the news is now a TV Show.

I had all of the same thoughts when I found out I was going to be a daddy. Hell, when I found out, I was one of those degenerates that just drank and partied and considered spending time with friends more valuable than contributing to society.

But, everything changed in a short time, and by the time he was born, I was ready to protect him from as much as I could, and to educate him in everything he would ever need to lead a full life.

He's 6 and a half now, and I'm not scared about all of the bad things that are out there. When we were kids, there were so many less restrictions on life and everything in it, and we all (for the most part) turned out OK. You need to give them a chance, and know when to step in, and know when it's a learning experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back