• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A New Logo For WWE?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
There's been some talk here & there about WWE altering the company logo since they debuted the logo for the WWE Network quite a while back. The chatter has started again due WWE unveiling the logo for WrestleMania 31. In place of the scratch logo that's been used, with minor alterations since WWF became WWE, since the Attitude Era is the same logo that the company unveiled for the WWE Network.

I haven't read any report suggesting that the use of the WWE Network logo was a mistake or of Vince being unhappy with its use, so that does point to a probable change in the company logo. Following the heels of a logo change, I'm pretty certain, will come various discussions regarding changes to title designs. It seems logical with the WWE Championship itself since the WWE logo is a huge presence in making up the center plate. WWE wouldn't necessarily have to get new title designs or order new ones to reflect the new logo, if a new logo is in the future, as it's a minor cosmetic aspect of most of the current titles. However, image is of major importance to Vince and we know that Vince is a guy who likes to have everything in its place. If Vince did decide to just let it slide and not go to the added expense of creating new titles or getting the same designs with the different logo, it wouldn't be long before internet fans and dirtsheet writers started making a big issue out of it.

The subtle redesign of the logo is awful. It's almost like they decided it was time for a new logo, and it is, but at the last minute somebody pointed out that the WWE Championship has a massive WWE logo on the front of it. Can't change it too much, so they must have decided. And a terrible redesign was born.

Aah, logos. One of my favorite topics. ^^ And the WWF had quite a few of them throughout history.

It all started in the good old WWWF in 1963, back when wrestling was still wrestling.

d73eb82dc8df4da0028f4b35d245bbb9.jpg

Not much of a logo, but what can you expect from a small local rasslin gig in the 60s? At least they had a logo.
The logo changed for the better once in the 70s (skipping that one due to picture limits), but there was definitely still room for improvement. Of course improvement, according to some, looks like this:

424421d1c32ff164d7fc388ed1445294.jpg

This one was, well, it was what it was. Fortunately Vince McMahon Jr. was about to take over. Hulkamania was running wild and the WWWF prospered, dropped one of their Ws and their logo evolved into the one we all know and love:

pic_1369083589_8.jpg

At least I'm assuming everyone is loving it. If you don't, you should. It's awesome. At least it was until it turned into this:

WWFLogo94-98.png

I never quite understood why they did that. Did they figure this one looked more 90s? It looks cheap by comparison, as if reflecting the business and financial struggles the WWF was going through at the time. If they wanted to look more cutting edge, they missed the mark. But they were not about to make the same mistake twice. Next step:

724e049d9d142eaa6fabf80637687397.gif

The attitude era had arrived, and the logo reflected that transition perfectly. In a dramatic departure from the bold, blocky design we had learned to associate with the WWE for the better part of 20 years they went to a scratchy, aggressive look. Can't say enough positive things about that logo. It was perfect.
... And then it got mutilated and became what we know today:

200px-World_Wrestling_Entertainment_Logo.svg.png

WWF became WWE and the logo just dropped the letter F. Nobody wanted that name change, least of all the WWE itself. Stupid Panda WWF. :mad:
So it was a bad situation, granted. But I dare say they did not make the best of it. First mistake was including the word Entertainment. I mean, we all know wrestling is fake, but does that mean they have to point that fact out in their freakin' company name? Might as well change the name to World Fake Wrestling Federation, WFWF. Whatever, beating a dead horse.
Back on topic. I understand why they didn't design a completely new logo. At least not at first. The name change was bad enough, with a new logo some people might wonder if it was a different company. It would only cause more confusion. So, no radical change was a good thing, but I'd much rather they had added an additional line, turning the F into an E. First of all, where is the damn E? It's supposed to be WWE, not WW. I suppose if you turn it 90 degrees the shape kinda looks like an E. Actually, it looks like two Es. It doesn't work, dammit. For 11 years their logo has been broken and incomplete and stuff like that BOTHERS ME, GODDAMNIT! (I have a life outside watching wrestling, I swear. :p )

So the idea of a new logo is a good one. Now, after more than 10 years, people get it, it's the same company. Now it's time for the general overhaul they couldn't do the last time because of the name change. What would the next step in the evolution of the WWE logo be?

wwenetworknewlogo.jpg

The WWE logo on crack. :suspic: At least that's what they have on top of their Wrestlemania banner (minus the Network part). So I guess they're really going with it. I would definitely have welcomed a stronger change to the previous design. It's like back in the 90s where they made the existing logo look just cheaper to reflect the decline in business. No true change. And certainly not for the better.

Ah well, at least it's hardly noticeable from far away.

I just can't bring myself to get worked up over the logo change. It's not horribly garish...it's essentially a less squiggly version of their current one. :shrug:

There is no doubt in my mind the new WWE logo shown on the WM31 logo is by far and away one of the worst logo designs. WWE needs to just be its self and go with something corporate like a NBC, ABC, NFL, NBA ect.. would use, not some logo you would see on cartoon network. If the new belt is going to look anything like the new logo does, then oh boy...

I loved the Attitude Era WWE logo, and it did nother me when the F disappeared from it, leaving the logo as just WW, it always seemed strange why they didnt just add another line to it to make the F into an E. I'm sure they thought of it, and decided it looked shit, but it still irritated me at the time, now I am just used to it.

I'm not a huge fan of the new "Network " logo, its just a slightly shitter version of the current "scratch" logo, but it isn't that bad. It's not that crap that it is going to annoy me, or anything like that. I'm sure I can live with it.

There is no doubt in my mind the new WWE logo shown on the WM31 logo is by far and away one of the worst logo designs. WWE needs to just be its self and go with something corporate like a NBC, ABC, NFL, NBA ect.. would use, not some logo you would see on cartoon network. If the new belt is going to look anything like the new logo does, then oh boy...
Love the idea of a corporate or sport-type logo. Maybe something with a silhouetted wrestler.

I don't dislike the logo, it looks enough the same. I think they're afraid of losing recognition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back