• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A Humble Idea

This is just a a simple idea that is aimed at helping a mid card title. Obviously these are a dime a dozen, so any criticism is probably justified. But unlike a Great Khali match, start this looking through this thread with an open mind.

My basic idea is to use a ranking system which seems prevalent at the end of a lot of reviews of weekly shows on wrestling websites. The main idea would be to post rankings of mid card to lower card wrestlers on WWE.COM, and hopefully increase site traffic in the process.

The (US/Intercontinental) Champion will be the Number 1 ranking superstar. The second superstar will obviously be the second superstar on the list. Weekly matches can gain rankings for those wrestlers, and fans can chart a certain superstars journey from 15th to 2nd and eventually 1st.

This could also provide fuel for storylines. What i hate most is meaningless filler matches between wrestlers with the simple premise of "you beat me cheaply last week so now ill fight you this week". they do nothing to build up a superstar and hinder the show. The rankings would provide an atmosphere of "OH this guy only needs one more win to be 2nd! He'll probably get a championship shot next week!"

To make this work, obviously the list would be controlled by the writers to put the pushed superstars on the top. Also, US/Intercontinental title matches would have to be more frequent. Every month or so, they should defend it on a weekly show, and save the PPV's for fueds that germinate from this ladder system.

Any comments, questions or hell even a reply of spam would be appreciated. Cheers

I like the idea of it but in all honesty I don't think it's plausible unfortunately. I do like the idea of spicing up the mid-card division because on Raw and Smackdown every week, you only get one main event and the rest are just pointless, stale mid-card matches. For that reason, it's a good idea. However, I don't think many superstars are going to be happy as being classified as mid-carders. I mean, if you're in that division/ranking, then it's going to be a while before you even get close to a title shot or even main event status. Also, it would only be a good thing for those at the top of the list. Those at the bottom would never see a match.

It's a good idea but I can't see it changing the way we look at the mid-card level.

Obviously wrestlers don't want to be looked at as "mid carders" but i think a lot of them would be happy just to get some TV time. I mean, i don't think MVP felt shafted when he only won the US title and wasnt handed the WHC.

Another idea i had was that if you have dark matches before shows or even at house shows, you could post these matches on WWE.com as videos, and so even if the wrestlers arent on TV, they get exposure and can climb up the ladder.

If you were Tyson Kidd or Dolph Ziggler, I think getting a launching pad like this instead of being ignored for 3 weeks then squashed by Jeff Hardy/Evan Bourne in a match isnt much better than being classified as a lower carder.

Yeah That's a good idea. It could even be used as a springboard for returning wrestlers who haven't been on TV in a few months due to injury etc.

sounds good but what would happen if number 2 beat number 5 and number 3 beat 4? Obviously 2 stays but 3 won too. So would they face each other to decide? because that sounds like a tournament. but i love the idea. just a few ifs here and there

This is posibly the best idea I've heard in a long time for adding a bit of fire to the midcard, the problem in wrestling this era is that everybody wants the 2 big titles quickly. 15 years ago it was a big deal to be the tag champs and there were a lot of legit teams together for years just earning the support of bookers and fans alike in the hopes of being classed as one of the greatest duos of all time. It was the same with the IC title as well, it used to be the 2nd biggest honour a wrestler could get, and they would work years and years to earn that distinction, but now people want to be world champ and they want it quick. This ladder system (or something similar) could be just the thing to bring a bit of prestige back to the midcard and give the guys who aren't ready for the top something to aim for.

I like it... it is the kind of thing that you could try out with one belt, and see how it works. I have a hard time understanding sometimes how they come up with contestants for #1 contenders matches (JBL?). This would cool, and it would probably have me as obsessively checking WWE.com as I do Wrestlezone. Good idea.

Yeah but you realize that if this idea was to be put into effect, which it perhaps should, then wrestlers would have to be judged on their wrestling skills. :O Of course this will be followed shortly after by the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse haha. In all seriousness, the mid-card division could do with a freshen up and ideas like this is the only way they will do it.

I agree with the post.There needs to be more fuel added to the midcard division.I remember years ago,like most on here when it meant something to have IC belt.That was always viewed as the title holders push into a main event match.I also wish there was more tag teams then Morrison& Miz,the colon brothers,and Cryme Tyme when their used.The tag team divison needs a drastic make over if they want us to take it seriously anymore.
However,it seems the only titles any of the stars want these days are the heavyweight.But with the heavyweight division being stuffed with John Cena and Triple H it pretty much denies other superstars the chance of being heavyweight champ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back