The Offspring vs Fugazi

• The Offspring

• Fugazi

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
1st Round 90's Region Match

The Offspring vs Fugazi

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun!​

normally if i hadn't heard of a group i'd have the decency to look them up...unless they were against the offspring, one of the most influencial punk-rock bands of the era

Fugazi here for me. Nobody seems to know them at all, and that has to change. As I do like the Offspring, I would pick Fugazi over them anyday. I know Xfear is big on these guysand can hopefully introduce them some more, but I will do what I can to get you an idea of them. Fugazi is a band that originated in Washington DC in 1987b led by former BlackFlag front man Ian MacKaye. They had SEVEN pretty solid albums. "13 Songs", "Repeater, "Steady Diet of nothing", "In on the Kill Taker", "Red Medicine", End Hits", and "The Argument".

I ampretty upset seeing the Offspring so far ahead at this point in time. Anybody not yet to vote I strongly advise you to give Fugazi a chance.

I'll give Fugazi a chance, but not against a band as longevitous and important as The Offspring. Along with Green Day, Offspring helped resurrect punk rock in the US. Their albums were top to bottom fantastic, and Smash was on my list of the four best albums of the 90's. Dexter is fantastic as frontman, and one of the smartest guys in the biz. They have put together a great run in the mid-90's, appear on many soundtracks, and I see no sign of them stopping.

Fugazi. All the way. In every form.

First off, let me correct the previous post. Ian Mackaye, the lead singer of Fugazi, was the lead singer of Minor Threat, not Black Flag.

Fugazi were another one of those bands that were simply a revolution. They created post-hardcore, which is the genre that paved the way for all modern metalcore and post-hardcore bands. Not to mention Fugazi rocks twice as hard as the Offspring could ever hope to do on their best night.

And I actually really like the Offspring. But people are angering me already saying "Blah I'm not even gonna check out this band and just vote for Offspring! Der!". DO NOT VOTE IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD BOTH ARTISTS. It's that simple really.

Fugazi were truly a band of ideals and intelligence, unlike most of the mindless pop-punk that the Offspring churned out. I'll take "Waiting Room" or "Suggestion" over "Pretty Fly For a White Guy" any freakin' day of the week.

Not to mention how Fugazi literally revolutionized the format of a band being DIY. They literally did everything themselves, pressed records, created merchandise, booked their shows, produced and put out their own records, they NEVER had a show that cost more then $5 dollars to get in because of these principles. They truly lived and breathed the ideal of DIY and connecting directly to the fans.

The Offspring never had that kind of ideals. Never. Nor did they have that kind of message, or impact.

In a just world, Fugazi would take this easily. Fuck, if you asked the members of the Offspring, I could almost 100% guarantee you that THEY would want you to vote for Fugazi, considering how much Ian Mackaye influenced punk rock and the type of music the Offspring originally played.

PLEASE listen to some Fugazi, and THEN make your decision. I know most of you will be voting for the Offspring anyways, but thats the easy way out. Why not vote for a band that will actually challenge and reward you with their music, rather then mindless 3-chord riffs that we've already heard the Ramones do to death?

Heres some Fugazi to listen to.

Fugazi - Suggestion
[youtube]sIywtO0OY78[/youtube]

Fugazi - Waiting Room
[youtube]RTWSSCYUD4E[/youtube]

Fugazi - Bad Mouth
[youtube]x_gVEx571v0[/youtube]

Fugazi - Shut the Door
[youtube]apuLs_ayKRM[/youtube]

Other Fugazi songs to check out: Repeater, Styrofoam, Merchandise, Do You Like Me, Target, The Kill, Argument, Long Division

VOTE FUGAZI!!!!!

I've never heard of Fugazi before, so I took Xfearbefore's advice and gave them a listen. From what I heard I think they're pretty decent. I probably wouldn't buy any of their stuff, but then again I wouldn't buy anything by the Offspring either. I used to be a big fan of the Offspring, now their music just doesn't do it for me. There's one or two songs by the Offspring that I do still enjoy but I can see why Fugazi would be the better band after sampling some of their stuff

my vote goes to Fugazi

Reactions: X
Fugazi. All the way. In every form.

First off, let me correct the previous post. Ian Mackaye, the lead singer of Fugazi, was the lead singer of Minor Threat, not Black Flag.

Fugazi were another one of those bands that were simply a revolution. They created post-hardcore, which is the genre that paved the way for all modern metalcore and post-hardcore bands. Not to mention Fugazi rocks twice as hard as the Offspring could ever hope to do on their best night.

And I actually really like the Offspring. But people are angering me already saying "Blah I'm not even gonna check out this band and just vote for Offspring! Der!". DO NOT VOTE IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD BOTH ARTISTS. It's that simple really.

Fugazi were truly a band of ideals and intelligence, unlike most of the mindless pop-punk that the Offspring churned out. I'll take "Waiting Room" or "Suggestion" over "Pretty Fly For a White Guy" any freakin' day of the week.

Not to mention how Fugazi literally revolutionized the format of a band being DIY. They literally did everything themselves, pressed records, created merchandise, booked their shows, produced and put out their own records, they NEVER had a show that cost more then $5 dollars to get in because of these principles. They truly lived and breathed the ideal of DIY and connecting directly to the fans.

The Offspring never had that kind of ideals. Never. Nor did they have that kind of message, or impact.

In a just world, Fugazi would take this easily. Fuck, if you asked the members of the Offspring, I could almost 100% guarantee you that THEY would want you to vote for Fugazi, considering how much Ian Mackaye influenced punk rock and the type of music the Offspring originally played.

PLEASE listen to some Fugazi, and THEN make your decision. I know most of you will be voting for the Offspring anyways, but thats the easy way out. Why not vote for a band that will actually challenge and reward you with their music, rather then mindless 3-chord riffs that we've already heard the Ramones do to death?

And this is where my Punk Rock Elite child comes out. You cant really argue with Bands like Fugazi... as much as I love Offspring and as great as Smash is Fugazi are/were on another level. I cant even bring the popularity aspect into this, like xfear said an absolute revolution this is the band people like Dave Grohl grew up listening to.

I'm voting Fugazi here, maybe that will soften the blow of my Green Day post for xfear :p

X, man, you are comparing two very impactful Fugazi songs to "Pretty Fly for a White Guy?" Propaganda, party of one, your table is right this way Mr. XFear.

Come Out and Play. Long before Columbine and all of the other middle- and high schools started having outcast kids extract their vengeance by carrying guns to school, Offspring saw the issues in America and brought them out with Come Out and Play. An upbeat but frightening song about kids and guns.

[youtube]yJQFf0qj9Nk[/youtube]

Nitro. A song about the invincibility of youth. The very thing that is the making of the young generation is the very thing that could be its undoing.

[youtube]kBWfnVRJ66U[/youtube]

Godforbid they do fun songs like "Pretty Fly for a White Guy." Is it okay for a serious punk band to have some good natured farcical enjoyment every now and then?

They can do whatever they want IC, but it doesn't change the fact that that was an atrocious song, and that every album since Americana has been utter crap. Whereas Fugazi has yet to deliver a bad album in my eyes.

Heck just read the intro to Fugazi's bio at AllMusic to get a hint at how far Fugazi's breadth is and how very excellent of a band they are.

All Music said:
If history is kind to Fugazi, their records won't be overshadowed by their reputation and methods of operation. Instead of being known for their community activism, five-dollar shows, ten-dollar CDs, resistance to mainstream outlets, and the laughably fictitious folklore surrounding their lifestyle, they will instead be identified as setting a high bar for artistic excellence that is frequently aimed for but seldom achieved with great frequency. During their existence, the four-piece created some of the most intelligent, invigorating, and undeniably musical post-hardcore rock & roll. Along with their stridently underground ethics — which were more out of pragmatism and modesty than anything else — they gained an extremely loyal and numerous global following. To many, Fugazi meant as much to them as Bob Dylan did to their parents. Somewhat better to look at, perhaps, and certainly more accessible, but just as commanding of attention and adoration. More than anything, Fugazi inspired; they showed that art can prevail over commerce.

Compare that to the Offspring, who at best were an above-average pop-punk band, and who at worst could be MTV-Approved nu-rock dreck. This coming from someone who actually likes the Offspring.

The Offspring just didn't deliver nearly the quality of music that Fugazi did over a sustained period of time. Fugazi has been delivering fantastic music on every album and at every show since 1988, whereas the last time the Offspring did anything original was Ixnay on the Hombre some 10 years ago.

I have pretty much already conceded that people are going to blindly vote for the Offspring. But Fugazi is the better band, no doubt about it. The Offspring were so incredibly influenced by Ian Mackaye (lead singer of Fugazi) that they should win this by default of being the inspiration for the Offspring.

They can do whatever they want IC, but it doesn't change the fact that that was an atrocious song, and that every album since Americana has been utter crap. Whereas Fugazi has yet to deliver a bad album in my eyes.

Heck just read the intro to Fugazi's bio at AllMusic to get a hint at how far Fugazi's breadth is and how very excellent of a band they are.

Compare that to the Offspring, who at best were an above-average pop-punk band, and who at worst could be MTV-Approved nu-rock dreck. This coming from someone who actually likes the Offspring.

The Offspring just didn't deliver nearly the quality of music that Fugazi did over a sustained period of time. Fugazi has been delivering fantastic music on every album and at every show since 1988, whereas the last time the Offspring did anything original was Ixnay on the Hombre some 10 years ago.

I have pretty much already conceded that people are going to blindly vote for the Offspring. But Fugazi is the better band, no doubt about it. The Offspring were so incredibly influenced by Ian Mackaye (lead singer of Fugazi) that they should win this by default of being the inspiration for the Offspring.

If you listen closely, X, you can almost hear SlyFox telling you what I am about to tell you - "Offspring were a bigger draw." Fugazi is a REASON why people have not heard of Fugazi (myself excluded, again, I do like them) but everyone has heard of and can identify with The Offspring.

Offspring not only wins here, but they go far.

If you listen closely, X, you can almost hear SlyFox telling you what I am about to tell you - "Offspring were a bigger draw." Fugazi is a REASON why people have not heard of Fugazi (myself excluded, again, I do like them) but everyone has heard of and can identify with The Offspring.

Offspring not only wins here, but they go far.

Since when did popularity determine quality? Haven't we had this argument before matey? Maybe that was with someone else...

So using your logic, if Britney Spears were involved in this tournament, she would make it to the Final Four right? Because popularity determines quality right?

Fugazi are simply the better band. The Offspring weren't original at all, unlike Fugazi who created a freakin' genre.

We shall continue to argue personal opinions IC. Fugazi is simply a better band in every way that a band can be better; lyrics, musicianship, live performances, creativity, originality, influence. The only thing that the Offspring ever did better then Fugazi was sell more records, which is something that Fugazi never wanted to do in the first place because of their dedication to DIY and independent music.

Offspring would want you to vote Fugazi. How are you going to say no to your hero Dexter IC? :D

The only thing that the Offspring ever did better then Fugazi was sell more records, which is something that Fugazi never wanted to do in the first place because of their dedication to DIY and independent music.

Ironically (and in stark contradiction to your point, X) Smash remains to this day the highest selling independent label album in US History. So if you want to talk about DIY and Indie music, you have to praise Offspring for that stat. After that, they decided to feed their families. Shame on them.

Ironically (and in stark contradiction to your point, X) Smash remains to this day the highest selling independent label album in US History. So if you want to talk about DIY and Indie music, you have to praise Offspring for that stat.

ROFL Come on IC, seriously? Epitaph is NOT an indie-record label. The last time they were was in the early 80s, before they signed Bad Religion and recieved nationwide distribution. That's not "indie" at all. That's "indie" like Franz Ferdinand is indie. Epitaph may be off the mainstream (it's not one of the big five or so MAJOR labels) but it's hardly indie when their bands recieve MTV rotation, radio airplay 24/7, and sell just as many records as other major labels.

Whereas Fugazi produced, recorded, mixed, and distrubited all of their own records and merchandise from day one. The Offspring comes nowhere close to Fugazi in terms of DIY and indie ethic, and you CANNOT argue that or you will lose.

After that, they decided to feed their families. Shame on them.

I'm not one of those people who thinks you've "sold out" if you've signed to a major label, but the "they decided to feed their families" shtick is total bullshit. What, a Top Ten album that sold millions upon millions of copies and produced a slew of single hits wasn't enough to feed the Dexter family? What is their like 500 kids in that family? The Offspring weren't in any sort of "monetary" trouble. I don't care that they signed to a major label, that makes no difference to me, and I despise the elitist punks who seem to think no good music has ever come out on a major label (The Clash--- major label.)

All I was trying to point out was that Fugazi actually stood for something and lived up to those ideals in every aspect of their band life. The Offspring stood for...catchy pop-punk. All I was saying was that Fugazi had a more important message to deliver, that music could be made and you could live off of that music successfully by DIY and indie ethics alone, that you didn't need to sign to a major label to get your music heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back