Smashing Pumpkins vs Killswitch Engage

• Smashing Pumpkins

• Killswitch Engage

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
1st Round 90's Region Match

Smashing Pumpkins vs Killswitch Engage

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun!​

For me this is a very decision. And I'm guessing it will be for quite a few others as well. I actually enjoy a little bit of Killswitch Engage every now and then, though not very much. I find the type of music they normally play to be incredibly boring and apathetic in it's creativity (or lack thereof).

The Smashing Pumpkins on the other hand are easily one of the best rock bands to come out of their generation in the early 90s, though they do get unfairly labeled into the grunge department along with Nirvana, Soundgarden, AIC & Pearl Jam (the unofficial Four Pillars of Grunge). They were much more then a grunge band; they had that gritty guitar-driven rock sound of grunge on a good portion of their songs for sure, but they were also very experimental. While this experimentation led to some subpar albums in the late 90s, the Pumpkins couldn't be stopped in the early 90s.

I will be voting for the Pumpkins here, easily.

Here is some evidence to back up my reasoning for why the Pumpkins should win this.

Smashing Pumpkins - Today
[youtube]RHUd896Sur0[/youtube]

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings
[youtube]dxNX_PRqhCQ[/youtube]

Smashing Pumpkins - Cherub Rock
[youtube]t1N_qX_r4Iw[/youtube]

Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
[youtube]wrivjzw0RlI[/youtube]

Other songs to check out: Disarm, To Forgive, Tonight Tonight, Bodies, Muzzle, Here Is No Why, Cupid de Locke

The Smashing Pumpkins put out a lot of very good music, and that is where my vote is going. "Killswitch Engage" doesn't hold a candle to them. My favorite SP album has to be "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" - which, according to wikipedia - has been praised by critics.

It earned the band seven Grammy Award nominations in 1997 and the album was voted the 29th greatest album of all time in 1998 by Q magazine readers.

The fact that The Smashing Pumpkins are currently losing to Killswitch Engage is mind boggling. Killswitch hasn't even enjoyed a quarter of the success the Smashing Pumpkins have achieved.

Their debut album, Gish, as of 2005, sold 1.1 million copies, and is certified platinum. This is with them being virtual unknowns.

Siamese Dream, the album that put them on the map, has sold 8 million copies worldwide. The album had three major singles. On any list for a best alternative album by a rock magazine, it's sure to be on there. It had two Grammy Nominations, and is ranked #360 on Rolling Stone's Greatest Albums of All-Time list.

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness debuted #1, and it was a higher-priced double CD. At the time, that was unheard of. It had four major singles released. It's 9x Platinum in the US, and Platinum in the UK. It also had seven Grammy Nominations.

Yes, the Pumpkins have dropped off since then, and even had a breakup. Their reunion hasn't gone the way they wanted it to, I'm sure, but to vote Killswitch over them is ludicrous. What they did in the mid-90s was huge... and something Killswitch will never achieve in their careers. And most of all, does this snippet IC put in the first post justify the way the vote has gone so far? I think not.

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc

I've always had a weird feeling toward the Pumpkins. The songs I like by them, I like a lot. 1979, is one of the best songs ever, Tonight Tonight, Zero, Cherub Rock, and Disarm are amazing as well. However, the songs by them that I don't like, I flat out hate. They have a lot of great hits, but each of there albums have a few duds on them.

In the end, with all those greats I can't see any reason why Killswitch Engage should go over here. They are good, but they are a definte three steps below Smashing Pumpkins.

Oh yeah, I feel the exact same way you do about the Pumpkins... I'm not a fan by any means, but the fact that Killswitch is in the lead is crazy.

well I did a good deed and my vote evened it up, I hate wrestling fans who think theyre "metal" and would do somethjing so foolish as to vote for Killswitch Engage, while I will admit I do own two of their albums both of which I enjoy to a certain extent however Ive noticed alot of their songs sound the same and are really overproduced. and to compare them to Smashing Pumpkins is a terrible terrible deed because smashing pumpkins could easily be considered a top 5 band in the 90s while Killswith engage cant even be considered top 10 in the 00's where music quality is much worse and theres and easier chance to stand out. Smashing Pumpkins no doubt

I gotta go with the Pumpkins on this one. While I do listen to some of Killswitch Engage's stuff I don't fell that they were as big of a band as Smashing Pumpkins were back in the 90's. You can still hear people talking about the Pumpkins even a decade after they were really big. Many of their big Hits such as "Today", "Bullet with Butterfly Wings", and "1979" are still played and requested on radio and enjoyed by fans.

I guess I was never a huge fan of killswitch so my vote goes to smashing pumpkins.The pumpkins never were the best but always right near the top.My fav pumpkin songs include Disarm and Zero.Despite not having the original lineup,the latest release was alright.

Smashing Pumpkins, and not even close. Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is one of the best albums of the decade (that's not even considering the five disc box set to go along with it). Hell even their weaker stuff is better then anything that Killswitch has ever made. I'm honestly surprised that this was even close early.

Smashing Pumpkins. So many great song, great albums, music videos, they have almost everything. Even there new stuff rocks! Smashing Pumpkins hands down!

Smashing Pumpkins are one of the most overrated piece of shit bands I have ever heard in my entire fucking life, how anyone can enjoy them is beyond me, I'll probably be getting alot of shit for saying that, but it's the fucking truth, they're just another one of those bands that the critics, and radio told everyone they were a fantastic band when in fact they are one of the single most boring bands I have ever heard, I fucking hate Pumpkins with a fucking passion, give me KSE any day, at least their music is enjoyable

Smashing Pumpkins are one of the most overrated piece of shit bands I have ever heard in my entire fucking life, how anyone can enjoy them is beyond me, I'll probably be getting alot of shit for saying that, but it's the fucking truth, they're just another one of those bands that the critics, and radio told everyone they were a fantastic band when in fact they are one of the single most boring bands I have ever heard, I fucking hate Pumpkins with a fucking passion, give me KSE any day, at least their music is enjoyable

I can understand that you don't like the Pumpkins Justin, you don't enjoy that type of music, I get that. But how are you going to accuse them of being boring? Clearly you've never listened to one of their records, or you'd see how incredibly different and creative the Pumpkins were. Maybe you don't like the music that came out of that, but it could hardly be called "boring". If anyone is boring, it's KSE, who you could interchange with a dozen different bands and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I know you don't like 'em, but seriously, boring? You've got to be able to come up with a better reason then that.

^^^^

Agreed, I was into the Pumpkins long before MTV told me they were cool. Smashing Pumpkins are one of the most diverse bands in this tournament. While there stuff was a little weak without the drummer, it was still better then most of the crap that came out at the same time.

Killswitch Engage, like X said, is just another run of the mill band that can be replaced by someone else and no one would notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back