Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
90's Region – Family Matters vs Father Ted

fmatter6.jpg

VS

fatherted460.jpg

Note: Although Family Matters began in 1989, we have included it in the 90's region.

Family Matters all day here. Urkel. That's all the argument I need here. When you think of TV characters back in the 90's, one of the first thoughts is Steven Q. Urkel. The show was a spin off of Perfect Strangers, which had Harriet as an elevator operator on the show. Carl also made a few appearances and to many, this show was doomed. Until Urkel came along and took the nation by storm. TGIF was saved thanks to Family Matters and Full House. Such a wonderful show and deserves to go far here.

Father Ted EVERY TIME and it shouldn't even be close. It's on the same level as Blackadder and Fawlty Towers when it comes to comedy from the UK and Ireland and for me personally I'd take it over both of those. Just looking through the episodes convinces me to vote it over pretty much everything else.

The Passion of St Tibulus - Ted and Dougal protest the opening of a blaspehmous film (on the orders of Bishop Brennan) and end up making it the most popular film since Jurassic Park

The Lovely Girls Competition
Father Jack drinks the floor polish
A song for eurvision
Sampras the rabbit
Chris the burping sheep
Speed 3 (On a milkfloat)
The All Preists Over 75 Five-A-Side Football Challenge
Kicking Bishop Brennan Up The Arse

Father Dougal: Hello Len.
Bishop Brennan: Don't call me Len, you little prick. I'm a bishop!
Father Dougal: Oh right. Well done.

Urkel was the man...Family Matters definitely gets my vote. Everything about the show was great, and it's still good to watch when it repeats now.
The humor always seemed to work, and the cast was great to watch together.

Never watched Father Ted, so I have to go with Family Matters.

I loved Family Matters growing up. I'm not a big fan of it today, maybe because I've seen it too many times, but growing up I just loved it. Urkel, like everyone else I'm sure, just cracked me the fuck up. I loved him. The only thing that frustrated me was the fact he was so into Laura, when he had Myra (RIP) right there, who was just drop dead gorgeous.

But yeah... the Bruce Lee episodes are my favorites, bar none. I can still watch those to this day. Also, there's a moment early in the series where Steve slaps this bully named Willy with his glove.... easily one of the funniest moments in television history. I laugh to this day whenever I see it. Also, Waldo was damn hilarious as well.

I feel bad for not seeing Father Ted, but I'm sure even if I had, it wouldn't convince me to vote for it over something like Family Matters.

This sucks, another british comedy going down the drain because the Americans have not seen it. Father Ted was awesome and I'm sure would have gone on for many years had Dermot Morgon not died suddenly. The show launched the careers of Graham Norton, Ardal O'Hanlon and Dylan Moran into the british public and still is one of the funniest programs ever made.

This sucks, another british comedy going down the drain because the Americans have not seen it. Father Ted was awesome and I'm sure would have gone on for many years had Dermot Morgon not died suddenly. The show launched the careers of Graham Norton, Ardal O'Hanlon and Dylan Moran into the british public and still is one of the funniest programs ever made.

I have to agree. This is going to be a poor tournament for the Brits and it is only because of American ignorance. I don't mean to sound rude but it is completely true. Father Ted is absolute genius right down to it's core. For over a decade, it has been giving everyone huge laughs and has been proclaimed one of the gems of Irish comedy. However, Family Matters is a good show. I have seen a few episodes of it and Urkel is pretty funny. The point being that because Americans have never seen the show, they do not even want to try. Look up some clips on Youtube before voting and I promise you that you will not be disappointed in the choice of Father Ted. It is a shining light for comedy and one of the most innocent and fantastic shows there has been in a long time. It says a lot that some of the British comedy classics have been reduced to nothing but a footnote in the American race for dominance.

You're fucking kidding me. Family matters was shit, Father Ted was comedy genius. I appeal to you to vote for Father Ted, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not good. Go have a look on youtube and grow a fucking sense of humour. Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...Go on...!

Father Ted is fan fucking tastic, it could always get a good laugh out of me whatever the mood. I just loved the humour of it and Ardal O'Hanlon is one of my favourite comedy actors out there. He can make me laugh in what ever he's doing I just love him. For that alone it should get pretty far.

The current voting is a travesty. Obviously I'm not going to be able to get you all to search out Father Ted so the only option is to do it for you.
This isn't even the best episode but it does include one of the best jokes. For those that have seen it, it involves Ted doing some car maintenance.
I'd hope this is playable but as it includes bad language, you might need to watch it on Youtube.

[YOUTUBE]VVXMLZtZubg[/YOUTUBE]

Damnit!

Family Matters definetly wins it for me. And not because it's American either. I've actually voted for a few English sitcoms in this thing already. Family Matters is a classic. Urkel is one of my favorite characters ever and overall it's just a very good show. There was even an episode where they wrestled the Bushwackers. Great stuff.

I watched the clip of the Priests in the lingere section, but that wasn't very funny at all. Average at best. You Brits can't go crying about a travesty everytime a British show is losing, sometimes it's just inferior.

I'm sorry, but do you guys remember that episode in which Urkel time traveled? Yeah, that is the single reason alone why I am voting for Family Matters here. Just think about that sentence again. Urkel. Time traveling. Yeah, that actually happened.

Never seen Father Ted. I know, "So don't vote then X!", too bad, I like Urkel damnit. I'm still awaiting his eventual comeback and award winning movie of the week. For now he'll have to do with getting my vote here in this sitcom tournament. I'm sure he's thrilled.

Family Matters was such a huge part of my childhood and I still find it funny today. I'm not going to bother searching out clips for Father Ted as I know I'll still find Family Matters funnier and I'll have more loyalty to it no matter what.

Seriously, shit on us voting for it all you want. I couldn't care less. I'm not going to give another show I never watched a vote based on a few funny clips. A lot of us grew up on these shows, of course we're going to want to vote for them and move on. Most of us aren't going to vote for stuff like Father Ted when we've never seen a full episode of it. Sorry, but it's the way it works.

The show launched the careers of Graham Norton

This is not a good endorsement.

I voted for Father Ted, maybe the only American to do so. I got into Father Ted from a commercial in a Young Ones DVD. This sitcom is hilarious. I don't like too many British Comedies but this one has stuck with me. Family Matters is horrible. People just laugh at Urkel just for him walking, yeah that's real funny. Do the right thing and vote Ted

This. A thousand times over. Father Ted isn't in America, so no one actually knows how good it is. There's very few shows that Father Ted should lose to and Family Matters isn't one of them.

But I guess it comes down to having different sense of humour. American sitcoms are very different from English and Irish sitcoms. UK and Irish sitcoms have always been much more creative and slightly edgy cause, let's face it, you probably wouldn't get away with Father Ted in America.

But Father Ted is brilliant in it's observant satire. They poke fun at all the Irish stereotypes and issues, and they do it so well. The performances by each person is brilliant, especially Dermot Morgan himself. Kicking Bishop Brennan Up The Arse FTW.

I voted for Father Ted, maybe the only American to do so. I got into Father Ted from a commercial in a Young Ones DVD. This sitcom is hilarious. I don't like too many British Comedies but this one has stuck with me. Family Matters is horrible. People just laugh at Urkel just for him walking, yeah that's real funny. Do the right thing and vote Ted

Nope, I backed Father Ted to. Never saw an episode, but I read upon it and checked some youtube out. And though I watched Family Matters, I always felt it was a bit of a tough watch. The show started to revolve VASTLY around one over the top obnoxious next door neighbor, who wasn't even the best annoying neighbor in sitcoms.

So I cast the tying vote for Father Ted.

Father Ted gets my vote here. The thing is comedy genius. It's fucking HILARIOUS!!! So many moments of this show are incredibly memorable, and the show would have been even more successful if Dermot Morgan had not met such a terrible fate.

Ted, the main character, was great, but the show was made up of a superb ensemble cast. Dougal remains one of my favourite characters ever, the same with Father Jack and Mrs. Doyle. If there is one underrated show in the world, Father Ted has to be it. Vote for it!!

It won't get through because, as Dave said, American ignorance. Not intentional, I must add, but just the fact that it isn't available to to see, I assume. Alas.

I think X hit the nail on the head, Time traveling Urkel. Can Father Ted beat that? I am waiting...

But for real, Family Matters was one of the two shows I looked forward to on Sunday mornings, it with Full House, and as a kid growing up in Chicago, I can relate to it. [/ch david]

I actually didn't care for Urkel as mush as Carl who was the man, Carl will go down as one of the best Sit Com fathers in the world, and it is because he isn't holier than though, he isn't an idiot, he is just a loving father, and that sheds some realism to a show that contained "Time traveling Urkel".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back