Red Hot Chili Peppers vs Alice in Chains

• Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Alice in Chains

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

90's Region Final Four Match #1

#7 Red Hot Chili Peppers vs #3 Alice In Chains

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

Polls will be open for 7 days. You don't need to vote right away - let's see some debate on these two bands before you all vote the winner in!

I'd definitely give this one to Alice in Chains. While the Chili Peppers are good, I feel that Alice in Chains is the better band. While they sort of followed the trend of playing grunge, they took it to a much darker, and more metal level. A lot of their music is still untouchable to this day.

Layne Staley was one of the most talented singers in the grunge era, and with the haunting harmonies with Jerry Cantrell singing backup, they were really something unique. Bring in Cantrell's above average guitar skills, and Alice in Chains is a head above the other bands of the grunge era.

Alice in Chains has obviously not been as consistent as RHCP, but I think overall that their music is better. With the death of Layne Staley, Alice in Chains obvious had a break for about 4 years, but now with a new singer, they've been touring and selling out arenas all over the world. There are also rumors of new material, which I think would be killer.

All in all, I think, while this match is close, Alice in Chains should win this one.

This is one of the hardest matches in the region to pick.

Fact is, Alice in Chains are well known as the godfathers of grunge. Maybe they didn't launch it like Nirvana or Pearl Jam, but they better embodied the dark and dreary poetry of the movement. Songs such as "Nutshell" detailing a feeling of nihilism if personal freedom doesn't exist just sent chills up my spine, replete with the great line "my gift of self is raped...my privacy is raked...and yet I find repeating in my head...if I can't be my own...I'd feel better dead..."

Alice in Chains also put on what I felt was the greatest of all the MTV Unplugged performances. Better than Clapton (although the unplugged version of Layla was amazing), better than Nirvana, better than REM. You can watch the entire show on YouTube, but here's a sample of the show, the song "No Excuses:"

[youtube]qNf1hRkVnM4[/youtube]

AIC also put together some amazing scores, with sounds nobody expected to hear from a grunge band. My favorite song by them is I Stay Away, off of my favorite album from them, Jar of Flies.

[youtube]rMOU7qZVwJs[/youtube]

AIC saved grunge for me. I never identified with the movement, but I went to high school during the era (like many of you) and watched obnoxious anorexic girls cry and fast over Cobain's death while overlooking the amazing talent of Alice in Chains. I have not voted yet - there's still time for an RHCP fan to TRY to change my mine, but I'm 85% to voting for AIC.

I have supported the Peppers from the beginning and will not stop now. These guys have been through so much over the years from death and drugs, it is amazing that they even made their comeback with Californication in 1999 because of the drug addiction of guitarist John Frusciante.

Since they released Blood Sugar Sex Magik in 1990, they have been all over the rock scene churning out hit after hit. Anthony Keidis has his unique vocals that add depth to their songs and can tell a great story, and then you have Flea one of the best bass players of this generation. His unique and complex bass lines really add depth to the Peppers music.

People say that their songs all sound the same, but I find myself thinking the exact same thing about Alice in Chains. The Peppers find a way to take their style and alter it slightly from song to song to add a touch of uniqueness to each song. It helps make their music instantly recognizable as a RHCP song when it is played.

The RHCP have carved out their rock-niche since 1990 and stayed true to their bluesy roots during the early 90s grunge era, churning out hits during the time such as "Give it Away", "Under the Bridge" (their best song IMO), "Suck My Kiss" which were different than most other rock songs at the time. No matter what movement was dominating the rock scene from then until now, the Peppers have always found their way into the limelight, staying true to their roots but also using issues from various times to influence them to make new music.

They are currently on a break and working on side projects as they had been either touring or writing since 1999 when they got back together, these guys are a truly awesome band and one of the best of this generation. Vote them to go to the finals for a clash with the Foo Fighters, that will have me tearing my mind apart trying to decide who to vote for.

Vote the RHCP for 90s/00s region finals!!

Either way, we cannot lose here. Tied 10-10, two fantastic bands which both deserve a berth in the finals against the Foo Fighters. I'd like to see one of the bands come out as a clear cut winner- I'd prefer not to have the finals be a triple threat. If it happens, so be it, b ut anyone who hasn't voted yet, please make a choice and cast a vote for one of these great bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back