• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

90's / 00's Region - #4 Green Day vs #5 The Offspring

Green Day vs The Offspring

• Green Day

• The Offspring

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

5th Round 90's / 00's Region Match

#4 Green Day vs #5 The Offspring

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

I voted for The Offspring. I want you to vote for The Offspring too.

Honestly, this match up is SO close, and maybe we will never totally decide who it was who really rekindled punk rock in the US in the early and mid 90's. But for overall music, I have Offspring edging out Billie Joe and the boys.

Green Day had some fantastic success with Dookie and Insomniac, and even Nimrod, but there was an obvious decline for the band leading up to American Idiot, which was the only album in which they'd debuted #1 on the charts.

Offspring, on the other hand, didn't really see much of a decline. as I have mentioned before, the multi-platinum "Smash" is still the highest selling album from an independent label of all time. Ixnay on the Hombre was a fantastic record, and they just kept on going.

Offspring doesn't have as much mainstream, "grammy-worthy" success as Green Day does right now, but I think their total body of work and loyalty to their total punk roots (as opposed to the soft stance Green Day took in the late 90's and early 00's) is worthy of a second look.

Without Offspring, there would be no Greenday(least in my eyes)

Granted, Greenday appear to have ahcieved more success, but the early Offspring songs just summed up Californea life for me (and I was in the UK at the time).

I justfeel Greenday are going to cliunch this one due to them being a flavour of the month band(much like Limp Bizkit, everyones heard of them, ahs the album etc, but Greenday are more talented than Bizkit ever were).

Its just a shame, people are voting on who they have heard, without tsnading back to take a serious look at back catalogues, videos etc. I admit in the early rounds, I just voted on those who I knew. But now, I take an hour or so to delve into wiki, youtube etc and just sample a few songs.

This shoud be a close one. Green day is great and have never failed to impress. but at the same time So have offspring. I am going to vote for Offspring. Off spring was always a childhood fan with songs like Hit that I remember growing up to the tunes of Offspring. They where always the in thing to listen too. where i am from And this is not disrespecting ANYBODY greenday is only really listend to by a small majority of people. Where Offspring is listend to by everybody. Vote OFFSPRING

This is a very tough call here for me. I loved both of the bands older music, but I really don't like either of their newer stuff. I thought it over, and I'm going to give Green Day the nod here. I really don't care much for their American Idiot album, but I can never forget classics such as "Basket Case", "Time of your life", and "When I come around".

This is a very tough call here for me. I loved both of the bands older music, but I really don't like either of their newer stuff. I thought it over, and I'm going to give Green Day the nod here. I really don't care much for their American Idiot album, but I can never forget classics such as "Basket Case", "Time of your life", and "When I come around".

Good argument, but I just feel Offspring seemingly have several great songs on each album.

TYake Americana album for example. It is packed with solid, great songs, songs that really were big when they were released.

This shoud be a close one. Green day is great and have never failed to impress. but at the same time So have offspring. I am going to vote for Offspring. Off spring was always a childhood fan with songs like Hit that I remember growing up to the tunes of Offspring. They where always the in thing to listen too. where i am from And this is not disrespecting ANYBODY greenday is only really listend to by a small majority of people. Where Offspring is listend to by everybody. Vote OFFSPRING

Umm, dude I think you got that backwards, Green Day is one of the most popular bands in the world, Offspring really doesn't get much recognition anymore, where Green Day has always been strong, every album they've released from Dookie on up to American Idiot (which is not nearly as bad as everybody claims it to be), Offspring has only released two albums that have had any real big success, Smash & Americana, and Smash is the only album by them I've ever really enjoyed, Green Day is far better than Offspring and should walk away with this one, they are just plain better band

VOTE GREEN DAY!!!

Im still saying Offspring are the better band after all these years.

Greenday ARE good, do not get me wrong. But I feel that most of the votes they have recieved in this competetion are due to them being the flavour of the month band, comapred to Offspring who are seemingly quiet and have been for the past few years.

Im still saying Offspring are the better band after all these years.

Greenday ARE good, do not get me wrong. But I feel that most of the votes they have recieved in this competetion are due to them being the flavour of the month band, comapred to Offspring who are seemingly quiet and have been for the past few years.

Well then that has been one long ass month, most months last about 4 weeks, yet the month that Green Day is the flavor of has apparently last 14 years now, and is still going strong, maybe the reason Offspring has been quiet the past few years is because they just aren't as good as Green Day

The same could be said for the Offspring, tby my reckoning, they have been around longer and STILL remained popular, whilst having a record that is still unbeaten to this day.

What i meant by fotm is that Greenday have recently released an album, that gained huge mainstream success, thus created a new set of fans (i call them fanbois, they will move onto the enxt thing in a few months) whereas Offspring have been pretty quiet due to having breaks, etc. That is what I meant by fotm.

Fotm in my sense is a fad(be it music, certain setup in mmorpgs, internet meme etc) is something thats popular for a few months/years, then dies back down to its origional fans. Take things like Chuck Norris "jokes" and Rick Rolling. Those are fine examples of flavour of the month. Much like I feel Greenday are right now.

How the hell is Green Day this far? This is what I meant when I asked for this to be slowed down a bit instead of it going headlong into a wall of tacks which seems to be happening with the speed it is going. Especially since they went up against Rage in the last round? That banner should have stayed up to advertise what round it is. I am voting on Principle here Voting The Offspring, because Green Day doesn't deserve to be in that position. Neither Do The Offspring but I take the one that doesn't take me down towards music that I don't like for numerous reasons. The Offspring aren't much better. This could have been a better match up if the rounds were slowed down and not rushed through like has been the case. Rage Vs. Pumpkins would have been so much better. Can we get the Third option here of eject both bands beause of stupid voting in the last round?

How the hell is Green Day this far? This is what I meant when I asked for this to be slowed down a bit instead of it going headlong into a wall of tacks which seems to be happening with the speed it is going. Especially since they went up against Rage in the last round? That banner should have stayed up to advertise what round it is. I am voting on Principle here Voting The Offspring, because Green Day doesn't deserve to be in that position. Neither Do The Offspring but I take the one that doesn't take me down towards music that I don't like for numerous reasons. The Offspring aren't much better. This could have been a better match up if the rounds were slowed down and not rushed through like has been the case. Rage Vs. Pumpkins would have been so much better. Can we get the Third option here of eject both bands beause of stupid voting in the last round?

In all fairness, the matches were also posted in the stickied thread "Regional Elite Eight Matches" complete with my synopsis of the prior round. So the match-ups were very much announced prior to voting.

ANYWAY, I am, too, saddened to see Offspring bow out to Green Day. Obviously Billy Joe and co. command a lot of respect for their careers up to this point, and deservedly so, though I still feel that we've now lost two of the best bands the last two decades have had to offer in The Offspring and Live.

The Final Four is essentially set for this region, and as I've been doing the last few rounds, a "regional final four" thread is imminent so you all can see the match-ups prior to voting and discuss who should earn votes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back