• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"90 Day No Compete Clause"

Kayoh

Deciding if I want to join WZCW.
I think I'm a bit confused as to what this term is supposed to mean. Bryan Danielson is set to wrestle at EVOLVE 4 in 3 days. It's only been around 40 days since he was released. On June 26th, 15 days after his WWE release, Bryan wrestled a match for CHIKARA. WTF?

I guess either the WWE let him out of his no-compete clause (which would indicate he's going back), or the WWE doesn't count those two-bit operations as competition.

I think I'm a bit confused as to what this term is supposed to mean. Bryan Danielson is set to wrestle at EVOLVE 4 in 3 days. It's only been around 40 days since he was released. On June 26th, 15 days after his WWE release, Bryan wrestled a match for CHIKARA. WTF?

It's because neither appearance will be taped/were taped for commercial release and/or television/PPV broadcast. As long as his matches are not filmed, it's cool. However, he can't appear for ROH, TNA, HWA, etc.

I think that WWE came to an agreement with Danielson that he couldn't appear with TNA and possibly Ring of Honor, but that he could make seperate indy bookings because they want him to return and are going to bring him back.

What I want to know, can WWE really not break there own clause and bring Danielson back now. I mean, if he breaks it with another company, WWE can sue. But what about if he signs with the E? Are they going to sue theirselves? Or are they waiting awhile to let the smoke clear? I guess it is feasible to wait the 90 days, to make it seem like Danielson is a new signee, instead of an old one that was realeased but brought back. I know that makes no sense, but it does in a weird way. I guess.

EDIT: Dewey and Stinger also mentioned a reason. They aren't televised. But I did think that the regular clause meant un-televised programs. Because if it didn't, doesn't that mean they could appear at TNA house show's? Or does it mean that he cannot work for TNA exclusively wether televised or not, but promotions un-televised don't matter?

I think that WWE came to an agreement with Danielson that he couldn't appear with TNA and possibly Ring of Honor, but that he could make seperate indy bookings because they want him to return and are going to bring him back.

What I want to know, can WWE really not break there own clause and bring Danielson back now. I mean, if he breaks it with another company, WWE can sue. But what about if he signs with the E? Are they going to sue theirselves? Or are they waiting awhile to let the smoke clear? I guess it is feasible to wait the 90 days, to make it seem like Danielson is a new signee, instead of an old one that was realeased but brought back. I know that makes no sense, but it does in a weird way. I guess.

EDIT: Dewey and Stinger also mentioned a reason. They aren't televised. But I did think that the regular clause meant un-televised programs. Because if it didn't, doesn't that mean they could appear at TNA house show's? Or does it mean that he cannot work for TNA exclusively wether televised or not, but promotions un-televised don't matter?

To answer your question about WWE breaking the clause, Vince can technically call Danielson tomorrow, and have him come to the next taping. The 90 day clause is to prevent him from appearing with other televised companies. WWE retains the right to use whomever they want under said clause. Technically, he isn't "fired" until the 91st day. Which is why they were able to use the Dudleys, Rhyno, Tajiri et al. for the first ONS. Since the E is still paying out the remainder of his contract, he's still under some sort of contract.

As for the other bit, no he can't appear at house shows as a performer, because TNA still tapes those events for YouTube, so there is the very real possibility he could recieve a payday from that footage.

Hope that clears it up, and hey, Sly? Could I get post count for this one? This may be the closest I've come to non-spam in months.

To answer your question about WWE breaking the clause, Vince can technically call Danielson tomorrow, and have him come to the next taping. The 90 day clause is to prevent him from appearing with other televised companies. WWE retains the right to use whomever they want under said clause. Technically, he isn't "fired" until the 91st day. Which is why they were able to use the Dudleys, Rhyno, Tajiri et al. for the first ONS. Since the E is still paying out the remainder of his contract, he's still under some sort of contract.

I see. I personally wanted him to return last night, instead of Hart. Would of been much more epic. But whatever. Hart'll work. I think maybe they are waiting out to bring him back, if they still decide they want to.

As for the other bit, no he can't appear at house shows as a performer, because TNA still tapes those events for YouTube, so there is the very real possibility he could recieve a payday from that footage.

And EVOLVE and CHIKARA cannot? I was under the impression that WWE was letting him book indy dates but they wanted to bring him back.

Hope that clears it up, and hey, Sly? Could I get post count for this one? This may be the closest I've come to non-spam in months.

My post was as long as my normal non-spam posts. Just sayin'. :shrug:

Yeah, I think they do that to keep released talent from going to TNA, ROH, and the other televised companies.

The 90 days contract is just put there so that if WWE ever decides to bring Danielson back they can. People seem to be forgetting that WWE owns that contract, so they basically can do whatever they want with that contract.

This is standard practice for most companies in the PW/MMA game. It's more or less a "fuck you" clause in the contract. Dana White includes something similar to this in his fighters' contracts. Despite the fact that Tito Ortiz and Dan Henderson were done with the fight portion of their contracts, they had a no-compete clause on their contracts as well, so they were unable to sign with anyone for 6 months after their final fight. One thing that Dana does, which Vince does not, is Dana prevents them from making appearances on Vince's program in any major capacity worth Vince breaking out his wallet. If you ask me, Vince's 90 no-compete clause is relatively tame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back