9 Final Fantasy X -v - Super Mario Galaxy 120

Discussion in 'Hyrule Region' started by Lee, Jun 2, 2011.

?

?

1. FFX

2. SMG

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

[​IMG]

AKA Lee v Dave. The first FF game on the PS2 v the first Mario game on the Wii. Match of the giants here...who wins? You decide!

[​IMG]

2. Arkham Noir

Arkham Noir With black birds following me

Ah yes, two of the longest running franchises in this tournament. Also the two with arguably the most amount of games participating.

My vote is going to Super Mario Galaxy. Words can not express how great Super Mario Galaxy is. After the rather dissapointing Super Mario Sunshine for the Gamecube (although I personaly liked it), Nintendo needed to deliver a Mario 3D platformer on the Wii that was on par with the iconic Super Mario 64. Galaxy was all that and more, and although it wasn't as ground breaking as its N64 counter-part, I would dare to say that it may be the better game game-play wise.

It isn't better than the sequel, but there is no way you can discredit the first Super Mario Galaxy. The gravity solving puzzles, the beautiful visuals, and all around great gameplay set a standard for games on the Wii.

Vote for Galaxy.

3. Wade's Public Transit Bomb

Wade's Public Transit Bomb Championship Contender

This is like asking a mother to give one of her kids up for adoption. =(

SMG on the surface is just like every other Mario game. You run. You jump. You feel satisfied when you beat it. Even with the repetitiveness, you still press on to see what colorful and infuriating surprise is waiting for you. I honestly can't find anything wrong with this game. Platformer games are all dead unless you are a fat Italian plumber obviously.

Final Fantasy X was the reason I got a PS2. Like every story ever told, there are the plot holes that everyone slightly questions but no one really cares anyway. The main characters are all unique and everyone has their favorites. The side quests help you in the long run. And blitzball should've been a separate game onto itself. That is how much I played it.

I voted for SMG because voting against Mario is like saying you hate America.

4. TheKingHustla

TheKingHustla The Man Who Saw R-Truth Beat Cena!

I am a huge FF fan (you wouldn't be able to tell if you saw me, it's one of my hidden passions). X was one of the best final fantasy games ever made, even though the characters were generally the same as all other final fantasy games. It has to get my vote here.

5. X

X RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM

My vote easily goes to FFX. Probably my favorite entry in the entire franchise, even more than 7. This game totally captured all of my attention as soon as I first played it years ago, to the point where I simply had to continue playing and beat it so I could learn more about the incredible story and find out what happens. Years later I went back and played it again and it remained just as fun and visually stunning of a game that I've ever played. Not that big of a fan of the Mario franchise anyways, and I've only played Super Mario Galaxy maybe two or three times and it definitely didn't hook me instantly in the way that FFX did.

6. Fizzy

Fizzy Mid-Card Championship Winner

Jesus that argument is fucking shitty Eboney. If that were true, Mario would shut everything out. I can't really blame you though as it's painfully obvious you aren't a hardcore gamer which your previous posts have shown.

Final Fantasy is my favorite series of all time. I've played nearly every main entry and many of the spin offs. I recently picked up FFX again last year and beat it. I couldn't put the game down. It was a linear game with no real exploration but there was something about the game that really appealed to me. The battles never got old, the graphics were spectacular even by today's standards and I enjoyed every minute of the game. I'd put it at my third favorite Final Fantasy game of all time behind 6 and 7.

Super Mario Galaxy is a fantastic game no doubt. Addicting gameplay, beautiful graphics, and arguably the best game to be released on the Wii. It's also a game I couldn't get into. I enjoy the Wii, I really do but there was just something that kept me from getting truly into Galaxy. I'll vote for the game that I enjoyed most and that is FFX.

7. Lee

So what if she's not a hardcore gamer? I'm a hardcore gamer and Super Mario galaxy is one of the greatest games ever made. The story, the leve design, the mechanics, the music is just something else. I don't expect it to go through because people assume "mario is kiddy" and they're "hardcore" because they think FF is better. Please stop the bullshit and just vote the game you prefer.

FFX is a great game but SMG (and 2 and Division Blade but I'll get to that later) are the only games in the past few years that's had me staying up til 3am because I just want to play more.

8. Wade's Public Transit Bomb

I gotta green rep ya for making me defend myself a little here.

A) Anyone who really enjoys and playing Mario games knows that it is best to be whimsical when talking about the pudgy lil blue and red dude. Do I really think people hate America if they hate Mario? Nah, I got better reasons why some people hate America. :p

B) Okay. So, I am not rushing to the near game store or visiting my favorite game site frequently. I can live with that. But I ask you, Mr. Hardcore Gamer Siree, what exactly does Mario games do that can't beloved by non-casual gamers? The games are pleasing to the eye, engaging for longer than 30 minutes, and are actually more challenging than "press A" when a Goomba is a-comin.'

9. Fizzy

Nothing wrong with it, but it leaves room to vote for one game without ever playing or hearing about another. I'm a huge Mario fan as well and would never vote for a game against it because it is "kiddy", but i'd lie if I said I have more fun with that than Final Fantasy. I'd be less inclined to argue if you posted why you thought one game was better than the other instead of praising one game and not another. I'm not talking about this post in particular, but a few others.

10. Wade's Public Transit Bomb

Ok. I understand. Sounds more like a complaint for that thread Lee made in the discussion forum. haha

I just think that Mario is a better game from a game-play perspective. You don't have to play for hours before you get your character(s) at levels that make the game a little more enjoyable (sorry, not a fan of 30+ min boss battles) or unlock features that give you a little more customization. I loved being able to add abilities to weapons. However, if I wanted to start the game over (as I usually do cuz I am weird like that), I would have to play up until that point were Rikku is introduced as a full-time party member.

With Super Mario Galaxy, what you see is what you are going to get. That is the Mario way. ;)

11. Fizzy

Then we differ on our preferred genre's. I enjoy leveling my characters up and deciding how I want to build them. I love a game with depth and customization. I love walking around a huge world getting into random battles and deciding how to kill enemies. I believe I fought Jecht for over an hour just because I wanted to be safe and make sure I won. I love that about a game. I'm not dissing Mario in any way because every Mario game has a special place on my shelf, but it's not my preferred genre of gaming. I can't convince somebody to enjoy something. I can only attempt to make a decent argument for my game and vote on which I enjoyed more.

12. Ty Burna

Ty Burna Getting Noticed By Management

I should withhold from voting just based on the fact I haven't played Super Mario Galaxy (yes I know, it's heresy, I don't think I've turned on the Wii in nearly a year, and far too many games for my other consoles/PC's I have yet to finish), but I will say that FFX is probably one of the best Final Fantasy's out there, let alone in the more modern era of consoles. I know the PS2 is a generation behind, but with FFXI being an MMO (a shit one at that), FFXII is far too massive for me to make a fair judgement on yet (working on that), FFXIII trying to be innovative with it's battle system and failing miserably, FFX has that old school feel yet with fresh enough concepts to keep you entertained. The graphics were ridiculous for it's time, and really showed off what the PS2 could do when it initially came out.

The Sphere Grid was a great leveling concept, rather than make you earn stat boosts in one shot, you could truly feel your character's advance power wise as the game went on. As I said I'm not going to vote based on the fact I haven't played SMG, but I just wanted to share what I thought of FFX and how Square Enix should take a long hard look at what they've been doing with their next RPG release and maybe take some que's from the past.

13. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

When I say that Final Fantasy X was one of the best games on the PS2, it should go a long way into saying how good Final Fantasy X was. When you the consider that FFX was probably the best Final Fantasy game to be created, then you really have to think about thwta you are voting for or against here.

Super Mario Galaxy has been brilliantly successful and has a big following from gamers. It was immersive and catered to a certain audience. I am not one of those people who will say that it should be marked down because it doesn't seem to cater to the hardcore gamer. Rather, I would say that both of these games targeted two different types of gaming circles and this match will come down to which of those are more vocal.

Personally, I think that Final Fantasy X is one of the best games ever created. Considering that I have played games since I was 5, I have played plenty of good games. Final Fantasy X is still one of the finest efforts of gaming that I have ever seen to date. I have seen all types of games go by and all sorts of consoles. However, Final Fantasy X on the PS2 is ridiculously good. When you consider that it's side game of Blitzball could easily have been a title on it's own these days, you have to think that it was a well thought out and immersive game.

Everything about the game just wowed me. The story line was incredible and dragged me into the game at every single point. Seymour was a brilliant villain and Sin was incredibly terrifying. The cut scenes and level of graphics are crazy for being a PS2 game and this title still contains two of my all time favourite cut scenes from gaming history. The characters, whilst perhaps not being as strong as some of the other FF games, were still brilliantly immersive. For those of you hating on Tidus.... Come on, Bro! Yes, he was annoying but if your parents had gone off the deep end and had turned into a beats that destroyed city after city, then you would be slightly annoying too.

Super Mario Galaxy is a decent game if a little basic but I respect that it was aimed at a different audience. Still, I honestly think that FFX is a better game in every sense of the word. It should go through here.

14. Derf

Derf O.M.G.

These two games are two of my favorite games, so picking one over the other just isn't fair. I'm not going to get into a shitload of detail, as everyone else has picked everything apart. My vote, SOMEHOW, goes to FFX if for no other reason then I have played through it three times, where I've only found the time to beat SMG the one time.

15. The Holy One

The Holy One What's really good?

Really forcing a hard decision on me here, as I've played both and loved both. I'm actually quite suprised FFX is seeded so high got to believe Dave is a big part for that. Final Fantasy X would be my favorite FF game behind VII. I think I spent a good part of a year trying to beat the game. I could say the same for SMG though. It's one of the few Wii games that I own and for good reason as it brings a great addition to the Mario franchise. I'm going have to go with FFX though seeing how the sequel to SMG is still in this. I wouldn't be mad about SMG winning though.

16. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

In the words of legendary WWE wrestler Bret Hart, "Well I guess hell just froze over" because Dagger Dias voted against a Final Fantasy title. It hurts to do so, but I just can't push FFX over Super Mario Galaxy. As much as I loved FFX, I loved Mario Galaxy too. It was so good that it got its own direct sequel, had phenominal gameplay adding more unique controls to an already innovative series. The music was great and each level was a lot of fun. FFX had the evil annoying cloisters of trials, which take away a lot of replay value for me in it, whereas Mario Galaxy is a game I'll be playing forever due to it having little to nothing wrong with it. That is why it got my vote, even over a Final Fantasy game.

17. Sean Valjean

Sean Valjean Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love

This is torture. I'm a big fan of both Final Fantasy and Mario and these are two of my favorite entries in their respective series.

Final Fantasy X blew me away when I first played it. The graphics were stunning, the voice acting, though cheesy at times, was a big innovation for the series. The sphere grid was a great addition, giving you greater control over character progression and customization. The story ranks among my favorites in the series. It also has the benefit of having Auron, who is not only one of the best RPG characters ever but one of the best game characters period.

Still, it was just another FF game. The battle system, though much improved, was still the traditional turn-based style used for years. Not to mention that Tidus wasn't the most engaging protagonist ever and could be flat out annoying at times.

Super Mario Galaxy wowed me on all fronts. The level design ranges from fantastic to downright brilliant with it's multi-perspective platforming. It's the first game to really show what the Wii could do. It integrated the motion controls in such fun and creative ways that most games on the console can only dream of. It tried so many new things and succeeded on them all while still keeping the core gameplay of a Mario game. I had more "Wow, look at what they did here" moments playing this game than I did with FF X. The only real complaint I can muster for the game is it's camera, which can difficult to control at times.

As great as Final Fantasy X is, it's not the best game in the series. Super Mario Galaxy is the best 3D Mario ever made. It's extremely close, but Mario gets my vote here.

18. Cracka Jack

Oh God, what do I do? Two of my all-time favorite games from two of my all-time favorite franchises. This sucks.

Galaxy was everything I was hoping for in a new Mario game. Nintendo basically took Super Mario World and 3d'ed it up. It's hard to explain just how much fun it is. The controls are intuitive, and motion control doesn't feel tacked on. The graphics showed that the Wii, in the right hands, is capable of great things. I can't fault it in any way.

And then there's FFX. Probably my second favorite FF game (behind 7). Amazing graphics for it's time. Excellent story and characters. The Sphere Grid might be my favorite ability system in any RPG. Plenty of side quests. This is tough.

I think I'll go with Galaxy, considering how it might actually be a perfect game.

Lee likes this.
  19. Lee

Wow what an upset, Super Mario Galaxy goes through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.