9/11/2001

LSN80

King Of The Ring

The page listed above is a fantastic resource for all things 9/11/01. With the tenth anniversary taking place in 3 short days, I think it's good to take a look back, and remember. Not only our experiences, but the effect it had on those close to us, and how it may have changed you in some way. So the purpose of this thread is simple: To discuss where you were on September 11th, how it affected you or your loved ones at the time, and how this event(if it did) changed you. I know it had a great impact on me.

I was sleeping in my dorm, as I did every Tuesday morning during my years of college. My school had a chapel service of some kind every Tuesday, but I may have gone possibly twice a year, and just read a book and wrote a paper on said book instead of intending chapel, of which one or the other was a requirement for graduating. In essence, I wound up missing out on hearing the news firsthand, as it took one of my roommates coming back and waking me up. I was pissed he woke me until I saw the look on his face, one of true horror. He then slowly told me that terrorists had attacked the World Trade Center's Twin Towers in New York, and a flight later known as Flight 93 crashed close to where we lived, in Somerset, PA.

I was shook up as well, as I never believed something like this could have happened again. I mean, we had established ourselves as the biggest and most powerful nation in the world. Classes were canceled for the day, and in my search for answers, the real horror came. I learned that the flight had originated out of Newark, New Jersey. I had been too stunned by the news of the terrorist attacks that I didn't realize the significance of Flight 93--My cousin Emily was supposed to be on the plane from Newark to San Francisco, as she worked as a stewardess for United Airways. My eyes streaming with tears, I attempted to call every family member whose number I knew. Upon each call, I got a busy signal, and the inevitable began to sink in--my cousin was dead.

I finally was able to get ahold of her mother, my Aunt Janet. I was sobbing and offerring my condolences when she stopped me. "Emily is fine, she said. She switched her shift with one of her close friends and has the day off." I was filled with relief, but still sadness at the same time. I'd be lying if I didn't say I had a "better her then my cousin" mindset, but I still hurt for my cousin's friend. She was doing Emily a favor, and she wound up losing her life because of it. My dad eventually called me back to let me know the same--Emily was safe, but her friend was one of the stewardesses on the plane. I didn't feel a sense of total relief, however, as I found out that three people at my college, all of whom I knew, had lost families in the attacks.

It was one of the first times in my life that I truly did something for someone else without an alterior motive in my then 19 years of life. I hurt for these people, and spent a fair amount of time with all 3 at one time or another just listening or consoling them. It was also how I decided what I wanted to be-- a therapist. I declared my major shortly after, transferred classes, and went on to get my doctorate in Psychology. These last few weeks, Ive gotten quite a few new patients, all grieving over the losses of loved ones. I immediately looked back at almost 10 years prior, and I remembered. I remembered the sacrifice Emily's friend made that allowed Emily to live. I remembered the three acquaintences that lost loved ones on 9/11, all of whom became close friends and trusted me with their intermost feelings and thoughts. And it brought things full circle for me. Instead of being cynical and wondering why these people still aren't over 9/11 ten years later, I remembered it was people like these that were essentially responsible for me becoming a therapist in the first place. And it's given me the same compassion now that it did ten years ago.

Where were you when you learned the news of the 9/11 attacks? What was your initial response?

Were loved ones in your life affected directly or indirectly because of the attacks?

Did the experience change you in any way? If so, how?

Any other thoughts related to 9/11/01 or it's ten year anniversary in 3 days are welcome.

A yes the September 11 2001 attacks I remember them vividly.

I was grumpy that day since I hated riding the pre school bus. My teacher was reading us some corny toddler book when her assistant informed her by whispering in her ear. She had a look of absolute horror on her face (maybe a family member had been killed or something but I was nevertheless informed due to only being 5 years old I think) when I went home that day my mom was panicking since my Uncle worked next to the world trade center twin towers. He escaped so that was a relief. My dad was pissed of but not to the point of crying or anything. The rest of the day was carried on as usual.

When I think of 9/11 it think of those heartbreaking school video packages they showed us every year. I was so young when it happened that I only get mad about it when they some type of media presentation helping us remember the horror of that day.

I was sleeping and someone came and woke me up. I didnt know what to make of it and I guess I just didnt care much back then since everyone I knew was safe. Now when I look back at it I think its changed all of us so much. I think people dont know who to trust with all these conspiracy theories and travel has been made so much harder because of it. Me personally I dont feel really bad about it but it hurts that I'm not able to do something about it. I hate it when people take an opportunity to hurt others instead of help them.

First of all man, the link isn't working for me.

On the day of September 11th, I was in Kindergarten. I had no clue what happened, I don't remember being told...anything. I'm pretty sure I was five years old, and it was only the second week I've ever been in school.

All I remember is my Kindergarten A.M. class...going outside and holding hands in a big circle. I don't remember what happened before that, after that, what they told us, or what my parents told me when I got home that afternoon. The only thing I remember, is standing in a circle holding hands.

Nobody in my family had any relation to the 9/11 attacks, but that doesn't mean they weren't affected. Everyone was affected.

My Math teacher recalls a time when she worked in a Baker shop, and she came in and asked them if they heard about the attacks. She said that the towers in New York had been attacked, and they asked if it was here...in our city. She said no, and they said that in that case...they didn't care. She was shocked...that was just a story should told me last year.

How did it affect me? For starters I was five years old...honestly a five year old couldn't care less. Can you recall an event that happened when you were that young, and tell me how affected you were by it? Having a democratic Grandmother, she hated George W. Bush, and I was raised to feel the same way. Although she never told me directly that she thought 9/11 was an inside job, but whenever I brought it up she told me that she fully agrees.

I know bring up the conspiracies here could be controversial and I apologize, but it's still related to the topic, very related, and it's my personal side of the story so I feel I should share it. Anyways, I saw some videos around 2005-2006, I read some articles, and I really started to believe that 9/11 was an inside job...or at least to an extent.

I know it's a very touchy topic though, very touchy. Especially to people that were directly affected by the attacks. Although I have heard of people who lost family members, who are apart of the 9/11 truth movement. I also really enjoyed the episodes of Jesse Ventura's show, I feel he proved a lot of things.

I'm going to end there so I don't get called out. Remember this is just how it affected me, and how I think of the events and the leaders of that time today. Anything that happens like that should be blamed on the leaders. If something like that happened today, Obama would be blamed. They could've prevented the attacks and I think that the Bush Administration agrees they could have.

Everything involving the September 11th tragedy is very touchy though, some more to others, and some different then others, and I respect everyone's views on it. In a whole I think our Nation really changed from the attacks, some for the better and some for the worse. Although there are many people who take things too seriously over this matter, and discrimination towards middle eastern, our country has also been able to better protect itself from these situations.

I was sitting in History class when it happened. Suddenly one of the English teachers came in he door. He said "Hey, did you guys know there's a fire in the World Trade Center? Someone crashed a plane into it." My initial reaction was one of sarcasm, given that I was a back row goof off when I was 15. I said "Wow, that idiot must not know how to fly very well".... This was before the second tower was hit, so for all we knew it could have been an accident. Then news came of the second tower being hit. I immediately took back my remark and our class watched the news on tv in the classroom.

Before we left, my history teacher said something to us that I have never forgotten. "Guys, you are witnessing history happen right in front of you.... This is the beginning of things that will be going on for probably the rest of your lives". I remember feeling really scared when he said that.

I did not know anyone personally who was killed in the attacks, but that day did cause me to become paranoid. What if we got attacked again? What if I became a victim? What if they do a military draft? That was the big one for me because I am a conscientious objector. I fully support the troops 100% but could never take another human life even if its an enemy unless they were trying to kill someone important to me. Most of that paranoia has passed within the past decade, but it took me a couple of years before I would fly again. I went despite my fears on a class trip to Rome my senior year. My flying fears and fears of being a victim in another attack remained though up until 2010 when I was going to fly out to California to visit my wife back when we were dating. I finally faced the fears at that point, seeing her was worth the risk.

Hard to believe it has already been 10 years. A creepy coincidence has stuck with me all these years though.... What number do you call during emergencies? 911. The date of the 9/11 atacks when countless emergency calls likely were made is the exact same number.

Where were you when you learned the news of the 9/11 attacks? What was your initial response? I was in 7th grade and in computer class. The teacher came into the room after a page over the intercom for all teachers to call the office came through, and she said the World Trade Center’s had been attacked. Now my initial reaction was what were the World Trade Center’s? I honestly had no idea as I never heard of them or paid much attention to New York. To me then, the biggest building in the world was still the Empire State building. I know I lived under a rock for quite a while. All I remember was the buildings were on fire and the second plane just crashed into the other building. I saw everyone in panic and shock and crying. I just remember watching and thinking to myself this cannot be real. About 20 minutes of the news being on I said to someone that the building is going to fall down soon and then the next one. I got yelled at by the teachers and by some kids in my class. I replied as I don’t want it to happen but it is. After that I remember watching the first tower fall and ever since then the image cannot get out of my head. I still see me sitting in my chair and saying they were going to fall and when they did I felt so sick. It hit me hard and I put my head down as I couldn’t take watching it anymore.
Were loved ones in your life affected directly or indirectly because of the attacks? I believe everyone is affected by this attack. Your loved ones my loved one, an America in general. I feel broken from this attack. I grew up thinking no one could come in a destroy America which happened that day. I had personally had no family in the towers but, it feels like I did as it was Americans and I am a very proud American. So it felt like my whole entire family was in those two buildings.

Did the experience change you in any way? If so how? It should have changed everyone’s lives. I mean I get sadden every time I hear about the event on TV. I cannot sit that there and watch the events on TV as I feel it kills my pride. It kills my pride but at the same time makes me a stronger person an American. It makes me love this country more and more. Even in this rescission mess we are currently in. I love this country and may all the lost souls Rest In Peace and may the good lord bless all the families who lost their loved ones.

In third grade, my teacher had a daughter staying across the river from where the attack had occured. She broke down and left the room. Another teacher came in and turned it to CNN and a few minutes later the second plane hit. Me being a third grader thought nothing of it. School was weird that day but we went home and my dad was watching it on the tv. Looking back, it was horrible. It's a bit weird but the weather seemed perfect that day. My parents and teachers over the years tell us to remember ehat happened because we're probably one of the last group of people who will remember that horrible day.

Has it affected my life directly? No. Indirectly? Yes. I've watched so many documentaries and youtube videos about 9/11 and it's become something very surreal to me. What's stuck with me the most are the people who actually jumped from the towers. I have trouble going on my roof and climbing down, I can't imagine jumping that many stories down. Its a horrible thought. I also won't fly...anywhere. I garentee you I'll never fly on a plane. They say its safer then a car but the fact that you know you're going to die is what bothers me so much about flying. I also hate going into tall buildings like hospitals or parking garages. I don't really know if 9/11 had anything to do with that though.

I've also heard that Seth Macfarlane was suppose to be on the second plane that hit the tower. I don't know where I'd be without Family Guy; I guess that's sorta indirectly.

Anyways, like I said, I won't fly. Ten years ago I thought I was safe here in the United States. When we were attacked I felt like the World was ending. I felt like I was no longer safe in the US. It's events like 9/11 we should be thankful you get ass raped everytime you go to the airport. After Bin Laden died, it gave me closure. I felt justice had finally been served for America. But nothing can change what happend on September 11, 2001. A horrible fucking day.

Where were you when you learned the news of the 9/11 attacks? What was your initial response? I remember it was a late start day at school so I was actually home on the couch eating breakfast. I'm watching cartoons and my mom comes in with a look of horror on her face, she changed the channel to the news and just as I was about to give her an "aw come on ma i'm watching tv" I saw why she had changed it and my mouth dropped. I was absolutely blown away, as a 4th grader the news part made me think oh that's horrible, but it was the look of horror on my mom's face that was really unsettling. I thought of it as an isolated incident, my mom raised the idea that it was possible this was a full on attack. Needless to say I stayed home that day but it was not one of those days off school a child relishes, it was a very serious day filled with the fear of what could happen next.

Were loved ones in your life affected directly or indirectly because of the attacks?
Nobody I knew was injured or killed but it definitely still hit us hard. I believe a kid at my school's cousin was on one of the planes so that was rough for him and we all felt for him.

It definitely made me feel more vulnerable, before that the thought of an attack on our soil never even crossed my mind, looking back on it if it happened again today I would go into "Red Dawn mode" and get ready for baddies to bring it. But it definitely changed my perspective on living in an invincible(or so I thought) country, I am extremely happy to live here and I love my country but I don't take safety for granted anymore.

Where were you when you learned the news of the 9/11 attacks? What was your initial response?
I was in New York on 9/11. When I was a child, I attended school in Manhattan. I remember class being released early. Being the naive child I was at the time, I took it as excellent news because math class was about to start and the release came just in time because I had forgotten that we had math homework the night before. My mother picked me up from school and she had us literally running to the nearest subway station because from my understanding, the transit systems were set to shut down earlier that day. We managed to get back to my home in Queens (caught the last train too) and that was when I found out the news. I remember watching the burning World Trade Center buildings as I wondered what was going on. I remember the voicemails we had received from weeping family members who wanted to know if we were okay. I think it was the first time I felt genuine terror in my heart.

Not directly really. While my family members didn't work all that far from the twin towers, no one thankfully got hurt in any way. Directly, it merely caused an inconvenience for my aunt who had to cross the (I believe) the Queensboro Bridge since she missed the train. The familiar sight of the twin towers standing was replaced by the sight of them burning.

Besides that, the experience led to my mother telling me to "grow up" and to change my attitude towards the world. I was about 9 years old at the time. I remember I used to tell myself that I was such a big boy at that age. Looking back, I was so naive and childish. I know I was at that age where I'm still obviously going to have that mentality but looking back it just made me feel stupid and ashamed.

It didn't hit me then, but as time went on I realized that 9/11 had changed my perspective of the world. Back then, "terrorism" and "war" were foreign concepts to me. I had always thought that the world was a happy place and that we all got along and that the worst thing that could possibly happen to me was getting grounded or something of the like. 9/11 hit me with a hard dose of reality and that the world wasn't the happy place I had envisioned it as a child. While my friends will tell you I still have that childish aspect to my personality today, I do think that 9/11 made me mature faster. In a way, I guess you could say the events of 9/11 made me lose my innocence.

Also, this was temporary as I no longer have this problem, but after the 9/11 attacks I became absolutely terrified of riding on airplanes. I feared for my life every time I had to go on one and I kept praying and looking around at everyone thinking that it would be the last time I'd see them. I eventually got over that fear but it really did affect me especially when I moved from New York to California a year later.

Any other thoughts related to 9/11/01 or it's ten year anniversary in 3 days are welcome.
If any of you have the opportunity, I would recommend that you take a trip to Ground Zero. I remember when I finally visited the site a few years after 9/11. It was a very emotional and humbling experience. Visiting the site made me even more grateful for still being alive today.

I was at recess. One of my friends had heard about it through the grapevine and he and I asked one of the teachers on duty if it were true. He said it was and when he described the towers coming down, I pictured it as a Ric Flair flop. I was pretty disappointed by that not being the case. At the time, it certainly didn't register with me what a big deal it was. Days of wall-to-wall news coverage in my house was common with Princess Diana's death as well as that of JFK Jr., so to me it was just another one of those things that happens semi-annually that everyone needs to stop and stare at. My relationship with the world around me has improved vastly in the ten years since. I swear.

Nope. No loved ones. Although I've met transplanted New Yorkers in the time since then with tales of the day, I certainly don't love those people. As a matter of fact, I'm really not all that liberal with the "L word." Great question.

The experienced changed me in literally no way that I recognize. While the event has informed the environment I grew up in and obviously touched me in ways I don't realize, that doesn't register with me on a conscious level. I have zero fear of flying or living my day-to-day life because of it. Terrorism is a non-issue compared with everything else I have on my plate. I refuse to add more stress to my existence based on one really bad thing that happened to take place on the same continent as me. I'm not afraid of the boogeyman. I don't feel anything.

I was coming back home from a morning Communications college class I had on Tuesday mornings. It was still early so I went to sleep once I got home before I had to go to work at Wal-Mart later that afternoon. My parents told me what had happened and it was shocking. We thought it was a joke, some random pilot that lost control or something. Then we saw the second plane attack and it was unreal. It looked like scenes from an action movie. Of course later on I heard about the United 93 crash and the crash into the Pentagon and I really thought this was the end as we knew it.

I just remembered hating the fact that during all this chaos that I had to actually go to work. I wanted to sit glued to the television set for weeks.

None of my family and friends were affected since most of them were in either KY, VA, or TN.

I guess nothing major besides the changes everyone had to face with security and the TSA. I will say that my friend and I would have probably never joined the military two years later and I would have never left my hometown or got married overseas.

It's crazy to think that 9/11 was already ten years ago... It's crazier still to think about how young I was when the incident actually took place. I wasn't even in high school yet when it happened, and I can honestly say I wasn't sure how to react. I knew I was supposed to feel sad, but couldn't figure out how or why. I knew that people had died, but to me it wasn't a reality. No one I knew was effected, and I was too young to carry any weight of that tragic day with me.

I'm not sure if it changed me. I think I started to grow up a little bit and understand life beyond my small town and my own circle of friends. The magnitude of that day will probably hit me harder this weekend than it did 10 years ago, because as an adult I can finally comprehend what was lost. I am by no means a patriot or a super fan of the things our government stands for, but I am a super fan of humanity, and I will grieve for the lives of everyone lost on 9/11. I will grieve for the families separated and torn and the loved ones who died on both sides of the world and the war since then.

I was asleep on the floor in my living room... My roommate came running in and kicked me... told me, "Dude! Someone just bombed the World Trade Center!"

My reaction, in my sleepiness was, "Again?"

He said, "No, dude... They really got it this time!"

I got up and staggered into the bedroom and just as I rounded the corner, I saw the second plane hit. I was numb. I woke up instantly and I went limp in the knees. My boss who was in Houston at the time, was supposed to be flying in that day, called me and said they grounded all flights and he wasn't gonna be able to make it to open our shop that day. I will never forget what I saw on the TV screen that day. It will be forever burned into my memory.

I was 13 years old when my dad woke me up by saying "America is under attack" I jumped up and turned on my TV, it was right after the second plane hit. my dad told me right away "I bet this was the work of Osama Bin Laden" he then took me to school, I was in 8th grade at the time, which at homeroom they were playing the news when they reported that The Pentagon was hit. After that they sent us off to class. After 3rd period my dad came and picked me up, thats when I learned that the towers had collapsed. I will never forget that day.......P.S. I'm glad this subject has been taken seriously, in the prison section of the boards somebody tried to bring up a serious conversation about 9/11 and it was taken over by trolls (who were probably too young when it happened to know how devastating this was to the US) talking about dead babies and orange soda. I may be new here but I found that very offensive as an American

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back