The Pixies vs Midnight Oil

• The Pixies

• Midnight Oil

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
1st Round 80's Match

The Pixies vs Midnight Oil

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun!

I find the Pixies to be overrated, they are good, but Overrated. This one goes to the Aussies here. With the Front man in Aussies Parliament you won't see these guys in a while. But these guys produced some of the best Aussie rock in the 80's alongside Jimmy Barnes in Cold Chisel and John Farnham. My Personal favourite from Midnight Oil is a song pretty much about Mt. Panorama the home of the best Motor race in the Southern Hemisphere the Bathurst 1000.

King of the Mountain
[youtube]PM970CBFcR4[/youtube]

Beds are Burning
[youtube]10BbpGKLXqk[/youtube]

The Power & The Passion
[youtube]dukmp4v9ZiU[/youtube]

I voted for Midnight Oil partially on the strength of "Beds are Burning." It was a powerful, controversal political song that truly put this band on the map, and will almost certainly go down as one of the 80's more important and influential songs. I'd also like to thank Shadow for posting some additional work by them. I am sure there are more than a few people who will come on pushing for the Pixies, though.

THE PIXIES.

The Pixies influenced several bands today (Weezer, Radiohead, Blur & Nirvana), and helped define the alternative rock genre. I don't know if they were the first, but they are one of the first bands to play a hushed, restrained verse and then explode into wailing choruses that later became an alternative rock must. In the end The Pixies have left a bigger mark in the music industry than Midnight Oil and you can't over look that. Midnight Oil sounded like a lot of other 80's bands, Pixies were somewhat unique at the time. Not a lot of bands sounded like them.

Plus how can you go wrong with "Where is My Mind", "Gigantic", "Debasser", "Monkey Gone to Heaven", "Vamos" "Holiday Song" etc.etc.etc. I could go on and on.

The Pixies are f***ing awesome!

Dude Shadow, how can the Pixies be overrated if they never were truly a mainstream success? That doesn't make sense.

The Pixies are underrated as HELL is more like it. Whereas Midnight Oil ranges from good, to excellent, to "Oh my god this is so incredibly awful". They were great for awhile, but fell off hard in my opinion in the mid 80s.

The Pixies however, as ROHDude said, pretty much the basis for all modern alt-rock. They were the true innovator of the alt-rock/grunge staple of "quiet verses" to "loud choruses" (See: Nirvana). Not to mention they are simply just an amazing band. I saw them perform a live acoustic set here at the Folk Festival a few years back, and it was just astounding. They went from rockers to folkies in five minutes. That's how eclectic and talented they are.

Just see their first two, and best, albums Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are among the finest alt-rock records to ever be recorded, ever.

But remember kids, nothing says "rock and roll" like joining the Australian parliament!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back