Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
80's Region - Red Dwarf vs The Wonder Years

red-dwarf.jpg

VS

The_Wonder_Years.jpg

What a terrible draw for the Wonder Years, Red Dwarf is bound to get some love. However, the Wonder Years wins here and it wins in a landslide IMO. I know myself and JMT will be pushing hard for the Wonder Years to win this whole tournament, as it's simply one of the greatest television shows of any era that has ever been produced, of any genre, not just sitcoms. Everything from the acting to the writing to the choice of music to the dramatic and romantic elements, the show absolutely 100% captured all of the joy, anger, and confusion of being young. Watching that show brings a warmth to my heart like no other.

Simply put, possibly the greatest television show EVER. Easily gets my vote.

Oh my fucking God!

Red Dwarf is a must for my vote here. I was legitimately shocked when I saw the names come up. I must have missed it's name in the confirmed participants thread and I so happy that it eventually made it. I don't mind telling you that I did not, nor do I watch a lot of the Wonder Years but it makes little difference. This show is one of the best shows I have ever viewed and I currently own every single episode that was ever broadcast. Unless the Wonder Years can rival one of the best and comedic shows that has ever graced any TV screen, I highly doubt it can beat Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf is a fantastic show and one of the greatest to come out of an absolutely brilliant time frame in British Comedy.

Lister. played by Craig Charles, is a brilliant character to behold and is fantastically balanced out by Rimmer, who is self-centred and cynical at all times. Watvhing this show is one of the best pleasures of British TV and it is a shame that it is not on TV any more because it is that damn good. It has my vote anyway.

I think the Wonder Years was overrated as far as the show is concerned, but I vote for it here. It was a great concept with Fred Savage playing his role perfectly. His romance win Winnie Cooper was something I'll never forget. It kinda made me think that love was cool. And him being narrated the entire show was great, too. Now that I think about it, this show was great. But not as good as, say Family Ties or Full House. But it gets my vote here.

What a terrible draw. I'm loathed to vote against the Brits when we're so outnumbered but The Wonder Years is quite possibly my favourite American show ever. Strange for me to say that because I detested it growing up I was too young at that time to get it. Red Dwarf is funny but nothing more and I'll pretty much always go with heart over laughs.

I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one thinking The Wonder Years are going to the finals, no matter who is in their way. It's a show we all related to as children, and it's still great to watch today. I don't recall there ever being a bad show, and some of the last ones brought me to tears, and actually still do.

Winnie FTW

You Smeggers! How can you vote against Red Dwarf? This is one of my personal favs that I can pick up and watch over and over again. It's just so brilliant for comedy and timing, the teaming of Grant/Naylor was just pure genius and the series kept building and building. Because it was sci-fi it meant for pure freedom with comedy gold. I haven't seen much of the Wonder Years, but if you're not sure what I'm talking about, take at look at these:

[youtube]/v/nyKF2qd0-iQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/youtube]

[youtube]/v/NEu0o62ycmg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/youtube]

[youtube]/v/i1o78X0BQ5k&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/youtube]

[youtube]/v/oB-NnVpvQ78&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/youtube]

[youtube]/v/LRq_SAuQDec&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/youtube]

Going to watch the Dwarf tonight me thinks :)

This is a battle of Britain and Americans, I can see it coming. I think Wonder Years is the better show, but I don't think that I have ever laughed at it in my life. For that reason, I am loath to vote for it against a programme that certainly has. Wonder Years had the soundtrack, and probably the acting too, but by no means was it a humorous show, so in a sitcom tournament, it's got to be Red Dwarf.

The Wonder Years... greatest 30 minute show in television history, in my opinion. Of course it receives my vote in this round, and quite frankly... it will throughout the entire tournament.

I never watched Red Dwarf, or even heard of it, but I watched two of those videos Phoenix posted with an open mind, and nothing. I'm not judging the show at all, but I'm just saying... Phoenix isn't going to post videos from the show unless he finds them extremely funny, and well... it got nothing out of me. Then again, you might need to know the characters better to "get it", so again... I still can't fully judge the show.

Regardless, even if I did watch a few episodes and dug them, I HIGHLY doubt it'd have the impact on me The Wonder Years had. I watched The Wonder Years before I can remember. My entire family watched the show when I was just a little kid, every single week my mom would tell me. When it premiered on Nick at Nite during the mid-nineties, I watched and completely fell in love with the show, as a 10-year-old boy, if not younger. Two years ago, I purchased a bootleg DVD of the complete series, and even as a 22-year-old man, not having watched the show before I was a damn teenager, I still loved the fucking show as much as ever and got drawn in to every single episode. That's just how good this show is to me, and there's no way I'm ever voting against it. I'll get more into "why" as the tournament goes on, but for now... that's good enough.

I'm not going to lie... I never saw Red Dwarf. So I went to Youtube and tried to watch a full show. Youtube clips are great, but they don't tell about letting the humor build. They don't say anything about rising action, or allowing the story to tell itself. It's one of the one things I cherish; story development.

Red Dwarf? I find it just a bunch of random things thrown together to fit some slow sense of a story. Wonder Years had a flow to it that made me. The characters were lovable, the situations affected me, to the point I took it personally, and overall just made for a fantastic watch. I like the Wonder Years to make a strong run in this thing, but I'll make a case for it later.

Anyway, for now, it'll get my vote.

Damn this sucks. Red Dwarf was one of the funniest British TV Shows of all time, probably ranked only behind Blackadder and Fawlty Towers. Its a pity that the Americans haven't seen it because I'm sure you will all agree how good it was. All I'm going to say here is funny American TV shows are usually picked up by British TV and ranted and raved about, I cannot remember the Wonder Years being pushed or spoken about. Granted I haven't seen it, but I'm confident I'd like Red Dwarf a lot more. Red Dwarf should win here... it wont but it should

In my opinion, The Wonder Years wasn't even a sitcom. I had heard about Red Dwarf for many years, but, I didn't get the chance to see some episodes until a few weeks ago. After only watching the first series/season, I can say without any hesitation that this show deserves to be considered one of the greatest sitcoms ever made. I'm usually very partial to American sitcoms, and I didn't even like Ricky Garvais' The Office, but this is a very well-made and hilarious show; in fact, the only British show that I found funnier was Coupling.

I have to vote for Red Dwarf, not just because its the superior show but because the Wonder Years was such a horrific show it doesn't deserve to be considered better.

First off, isn't the Wonder Years a type of rip-off show to the Brady Bunch or something? I don't think thats right, I think it was something else - but the point is, the Wonder Years wasn't original. Red Dwarf was.

I'm also firmly behind Red Dwarf because of the originality it gave us. The comedic humour behind each cast member kept me coming back for more - and on a Friday night, no less.

While I consider Boy Meets World a rip off of the Wonder Years, the fact is I think Boy Meets World was a vastly superior show and that they just failed with the Wonder Years as a whole. By that, I seem to just be in the belief that Boy Meets World covered more topics than the Wonder Years did.. and Boy Meets World did it in a time when the censors were likely more "hardcore" in allowing less.

I have to vote for Red Dwarf, not just because its the superior show but because the Wonder Years was such a horrific show it doesn't deserve to be considered better.

Absolute nonsense, The Wonder Years was and remains one of the most critically acclaimed television shows ever.

First off, isn't the Wonder Years a type of rip-off show to the Brady Bunch or something? I don't think thats right, I think it was something else - but the point is, the Wonder Years wasn't original. Red Dwarf was.

Completely wrong. The Wonder Years was absolutely nothing like the Brady Bunch, even slightly. Might as well call I Love Lucy a ripoff of The Simpsons while you're at it.

The Wonder Years was completely original, and was not a "rip off" of anything else. It was completely unique at it's time and it remains that way to this day.

I'm also firmly behind Red Dwarf because of the originality it gave us. The comedic humour behind each cast member kept me coming back for more - and on a Friday night, no less.

While I consider Boy Meets World a rip off of the Wonder Years, the fact is I think Boy Meets World was a vastly superior show and that they just failed with the Wonder Years as a whole. By that, I seem to just be in the belief that Boy Meets World covered more topics than the Wonder Years did.. and Boy Meets World did it in a time when the censors were likely more "hardcore" in allowing less.

How in God's name can you call The Wonder Years shit, and than praise Boy Meets fucking World? Don't get me wrong, I love both of those shoes, but Boy Meets World isn't even 1/10th as good as The Wonder Years was.

How many episodes of The Wonder Years have you actually watched? That was an amazing shoe. You watch the pilot episode after all these years and it still tugs at your heart strings about Winnie's older brother going off to Vietnam and dying as the backdrop around her and Kevin's first kiss is one of the greatest moments in television history. The pilot of Wonder Years alone trumps all of the wacky and zany humor Red Dwarf could deliver.

Vote for The Wonder Years people, it's the right thing to do. It's the superior show.

Right, campaign for the smeggers and smegheads, let me break it down.

Wikipedia said:
The main setting of the series is the eponymous mining spaceship Red Dwarf. In the first episode set sometime in the late 22nd century, an on-board radiation leak of cadmium II kills everyone except for low-ranking technician Dave Lister, who is in suspended animation at the time, and his pregnant cat, Frankenstein, who is safely sealed in the cargo hold. Following the accident, the ship's computer Holly keeps Lister in stasis until the background radiation dies down—a process that takes three million years. Lister therefore emerges as the last human being in the universe—but not the only life form on-board the ship. His former bunkmate and immediate superior Arnold Judas Rimmer is resurrected by Holly as a hologram to keep Lister sane. At the same time, a creature known only as Cat is the last member on board of Felis sapiens, a race of humanoid felines that evolved in the ship's hold from Lister's cat, Frankenstein, and her kittens during the 3 million years that Lister was in stasis.

The main dramatic thrust of the early series is Lister's desire to return home to Earth. As their journey begins, the not-so-intrepid crew encounters such phenomena as time distortions, faster-than-light travel, mutant diseases and strange lifeforms that had developed in the intervening millions of years. From series two/three onwards they encounter Kryten, a service mechanoid who joins them as part of the crew.

This is a show which took advantage of the sci-fi background and used it to its full advantage from covering different situations such as alternate universes, time travel, nanobots, aliens, duplication and so on. This was so original in its concept and it even won an International Emmy for the episode "Gunmen of the Apocalypse".

Here's some more clips to show how brill it is.

In this one, Kryten discovered a teleporter which they use to transport to get a nearby planet, only when he and Rimmer transport first, they encounter dinosaurs and Elvis! When Lister and Cat follow persuit, they end up in what appears to be the Third Reich, this from a prison scene with Lister and the Cat.

[youtube]/v/H_3oXfgB35E&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/youtube]

Later on in the same episode, Rimmer and Kryten find out that the planet is full of wax droids who broke free from their programming and are in a battle of Good vs. Evil. Only that Arnold has appointed himself the leader of the Good side...

[youtube]/v/0INpj__GCbI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/youtube]

----
This scene should explain itself
[youtube]/v/Qa_gZ_7sdZg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/youtube]

And because I'm that nice, here's a full episode. Season 3 Episode 1 "Backwards"

[youtube]/v/1KEOW2xw2VM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/youtube]
[youtube]/v/Ix0_nZrLZnE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/youtube]
[youtube]/v/aPipU6li5H0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member