Joy Division vs Mr. Big

• Joy Division

• Mr. Big

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

1st Round 80's Match

Joy Division vs Mr. Big

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun!

Okay, I know it's early, but what the fuck is wrong with you people and the fact that Mr. fucking Big is currently beating Joy Division 2-1. And I'm the 1.

Joy Division are simply one of the most important bands in rock and roll history, the bridge between the 70s Pistols & Damned sound of punk into the sound of post-punk, which layed the foundation for the genre of alternative rock. It all starts here people. I can't describe the effect this band had on punk rock, it truly was that great. Every band in Manchester wanted to play post-punk after hearing "Transmission" or "She's Lost Control". Not to mention that Joy Division is comprised almost entirely of the group to follow after Ian Curtis' suicide (he was the lead singer of JD), New Order. This band can lay claim to not only starting the genre of post-punk, but for starting the gradual obsession of British new wave/punk with synthesizers, and the eventual formation of the rave scene in the later 80s. Seriously, it all can be traced back here.

And that's not even getting to the music of the band, which was absolutely fantastic. Some people are put off by Ian Curtis' baritone voice, but my god the music is so good that his voice becomes the perfect complement to the accompanying sounds of working class Manchester that could be heard through out a Joy Division record. The only song that people would probably recognize is the classic "Love Will Tear Us Apart Again". Fantastic song, but also a very uncharacteristic song for Joy Division. Very much influenced more heavily by new wave and the emerging synth-pop scene.

Do yourselves a favor people, if you enjoy punk, post-punk, alternative rock, new wave, or just flat out good experimental-type music, give em a try. You won't be disappointed. And they certainly deserve to beat a one hit wonder like Mr. fucking Big. Just listen to the opening chords of "Digital" and if you're not hooked already, then odds are you don't like punk or guitar-driven rock to begin with.

Joy Division - Digital
[youtube]tRnWYALFPCw[/youtube]

Joy Division - Transmission
[youtube]EcaZQ8oG05E[/youtube]

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
[youtube]K0dfd_L4tDk[/youtube]

Joy Divisioin - She's Lost Control
[youtube]ZGMDBppWBOo[/youtube]

Check 'em out people. They easily deserve to go over MR. FUCKING BIG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back