Queen vs Blondie

• Queen

• Blondie

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

1st Round 70's Match

Queen vs Blondie

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun!

As a new band, Queen were opening acts for the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Genesis.
Even the early work that Queen turned out 'Killer Queen' and 'Stone Cold Crazy' (covered by metallica).
Also, Queen managed to overcome the stigma of having their gay lead singer die from AIDS and still perform, write musicals and have a worldwide following

Face it...Queen are a genuinely talented band with the rarity of not relying soley on one member of the band to carry them. Yeah, Mercury was an outstandingly flamboyant frontman with a great range, pianist and the ability to hold an audience...but what would they be without the sounds of Brian May - the guy played the English National Anthem on the roof of the Palace for the Queen's (the monarch) jubilee in the background singing. they also expertly combined harmony into all their work to give their sound more depth

Look at the list of songs that Queen have turned out:
Don't Stop Me Now - Highlights the ability of Mercury to play piance
We Will Rock You - Iconic
The Show Must Go On
We Are The Champions - the ultimate song for sporting events
[youtube]sogKUx_q7ig[/youtube]
It's a Kind of Magic - class song, crazy video
[youtube]f9hqCCbl-2Q[/youtube]
Radio Ga-Ga
Flash - Annoying song but one of the most famous movie themes ever
SOmebody to Love
Killer Queen - 1st number 2 single, combining a variety of styles
Under Pressure - Simple and easy. collaberation with Bowie works well. Sadly destroyed by the curse that is Vanilla Ice
One Vision
Who Wants to Live Forever - a beautiful song from Highlander
[youtube]Zo52T7uKOJU[/youtube]
I Want to Break Free
Crazy Little Thing Called Love

and Finally
[youtube]irp8CNj9qBI[/youtube]
Musically, this song is as close to divine as possible. melodic, soulful, harmonic. The music in the song is sublime
ok, some of the lyrics are a little crazy.
Add to that the fact that the middle part of the song is SO DAMN COMPLEX that Queen couldn't actually manage to do it justice everytime they did it on stage...they simply played the video. I've been in a choir and had to sing this in four part harmony and it is as complicated as it sounds.
The final part of the song shifts it up into rock heaven with catchy guitar from the legend that is Brian May . You just can't help enjoy this song!

Why Queen is the Greatest Band of All Time
A position peice by IC25

Ladies and Gentlemen, the time has finally arrived for the 1970's bracket - possibly the best top to bottom bracket in the entire tournament. And the #2 seed in that bracket is the greatest rock band in history - Queen.

I realize I may not get EVERYONE to jump on the "greatest of all time" bandwagon, but Queen should win this tournament. They will certainly go deep. (Insert Freddie Mercury joke here. Is that out of your system now? Good.)

For your reading pleasure, I explain why Queen is the greatest of all time, and why they certainly go over Blondie in this first round.

1. Influence on Music. Here is a shorthand list of bands who have come out and said Queen has had an influence on them: Anthrax, Dream Theater, Bang Camaro, Ben Folds Five, Boston, Blind Guardian, Kurt Cobain, Def Leppard,The Darkness, Extreme, Foo Fighters, The Germs, Work, Neal Century, The Go Go's, Davey Havok, My Chemical Romance, Jeff Scott Soto, The Killers, Green Day, Guns N' Roses, Helloween, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kansas, Manic Street Preachers, Metallica, George Michael, Marilyn Manson, Kaiser Chiefs, Muse, Mika, Nine Inch Nails, Panic at the Disco, Radiohead, The Smashing Pumpkins, Switches, Max Cavalera, Styx, Sweet, DragonForce, Cesare Cremonini and Threshold keyboardist Richard West. I should be able to stop here, but I will press on.

2. Innovative styles of Music. So many bands make a name for themselves by carving out a niche in one style or genre of music and then going ahead with it. Queen would do an entire music style for ONE SONG, and then move on. Let's look at a few examples:

Arena Rock - We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions
Rockabilly - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Speed Metal - Stone Cold Crazy, Sheer Heart Attack
Fantasy Rock - 7 Seas of Rhye, Ogre Battle, Dragon Attack
British Music Hall - Killer Queen
Ballads - One Year of Love, Who Wants to Live Forever
Ragtime - Bring Back that Leroy Brown
Caribbean - Misfire, A Kind of Magic (feat. great steel drum work)
OperaRock - Anything off "A Night at the Opera"
Progressive Rock - "The Prophet Song"
Gospel Rock - "Somebody to Love"
Hard Rock - "Tie Your Mother Down"
Synth-Rock - Flash Gordon, Another One Bites the Dust, Play the Game

3. Presence in Pop Culture. Queen found there way into too many films and TV shows to list. Even taking out the films that featured "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions," Queen still saw massive soundtrack play. The album "A Kind of Magic" alone made up the soundtrack for "Highlander" both in film and television, with songs such as "Princes of the Universe," "Who Wants to Live Forever," "Don't Lose Your Head," and "Friends Will be Friends." And don't tell me that whenever Bohemian Rhapsody comes on with you and your friends in the car, you don't turn up the chorus and headband a la Wayne's World! Whenever it's on the radio in New Jersey, I see people headbanging in their cars just like I do. Flash Gordon is such synth-cheese, but it's wonderful synth-cheese, just like ABBA.

4. Legendary Live Shows. Here is where I appeal to the UK members on the forums. The 1986 Wembley Stadium shows are LEGENDARY, and nothing else comes close. Queen packed a stadium with crazy fans like no other band in history. With only two dates at Wembley available, Queen played a third night at Knebworth Park. 120,000 fans showed up. In 1976, Queen played a free show in Hyde Park. 150,000. Legendary.

5. Historical Context. Hall of Fame in 2001. Queen albums have topped the UK charts for a total of 1,322 weeks - the equivalent of 27 consecutive years - which is more than The Beatles or Elvis. Queen's Greatest Hits remains the UK's #1 selling greatest hits album of all time at 5,407,587 copies. Over 300,000,000 worldwide albums sold. Here's a great stat - Queen is the only band to have EVERY MEMBER record MORE THAN ONE #1 Single in their career. Not even The Beatles can say that - nice job, Ringo. In 2003, Queen became the ONLY band to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

I am going to stop here, because I do have to actually work while I am at work. But this alone is enough research and evidence to show you why Queen is the greatest band in music history - or at least worthy of your support and consideration.

Thank you for reading.

IC25

Blondie over Queen!!!!

:lmao:

Even though I wasn't the biggest Queen fan, its not hard to see their musical talent, especially with We are the Champions and Bohemian Rhapsody. Blondie was to popish for my tastes, even heart of glass I couldn't really get into

my vote goes to queen

Queen > all

That is all I have to say on the matter.

(but i better add more, otherwise ill get hit with the banstick)

As one of the bands you grew up with (usually due to Dads or Uncles being fans), Queen were brilliant. Catchy songs that still rock out today. Even the death of Freddie (RIP) from aids didnt seem to stop them, they went on to a greater audience in the new millenium. This band influenced thousands of bands, in fact, most of the British indie/rock scene cite Queen as a big influence.

There are only two other bands that could usurp Queen, those being Jimmi Hendrix and Elvis Presley

1. Influence on Music. Here is a shorthand list of bands who have come out and said Queen has had an influence on them: Anthrax, Dream Theater, Bang Camaro, Ben Folds Five, Boston, Blind Guardian, Kurt Cobain, Def Leppard,The Darkness, Extreme, Foo Fighters, The Germs, Work, Neal Century, The Go Go's, Davey Havok, My Chemical Romance, Jeff Scott Soto, The Killers, Green Day, Guns N' Roses, Helloween, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kansas, Manic Street Preachers, Metallica, George Michael, Marilyn Manson, Kaiser Chiefs, Muse, Mika, Nine Inch Nails, Panic at the Disco, Radiohead, The Smashing Pumpkins, Switches, Max Cavalera, Styx, Sweet, DragonForce, Cesare Cremonini and Threshold keyboardist Richard West. I should be able to stop here, but I will press on.

While Queen indeed are among the most influential and legendary bands in rock and roll history, their influence on music pales greatly in comparison to the influence of the likes of the Beatles or Bob Dylan. Since you've brought up your opinion on why Queen is the greatest rock band of all time, I have decided to take the other side of the debate. And in terms of influence, in no way shape or form is Queen superior to the Beatles or Dylan, or even the Stones or the Who.

2. Innovative styles of Music. So many bands make a name for themselves by carving out a niche in one style or genre of music and then going ahead with it. Queen would do an entire music style for ONE SONG, and then move on. Let's look at a few examples:

Arena Rock - We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions
Rockabilly - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Speed Metal - Stone Cold Crazy, Sheer Heart Attack
Fantasy Rock - 7 Seas of Rhye, Ogre Battle, Dragon Attack
British Music Hall - Killer Queen
Ballads - One Year of Love, Who Wants to Live Forever
Ragtime - Bring Back that Leroy Brown
Caribbean - Misfire, A Kind of Magic (feat. great steel drum work)
OperaRock - Anything off "A Night at the Opera"
Progressive Rock - "The Prophet Song"
Gospel Rock - "Somebody to Love"
Hard Rock - "Tie Your Mother Down"
Synth-Rock - Flash Gordon, Another One Bites the Dust, Play the Game

Another fantastic point about Queen (who I do love by the way, just getting that out there) but again it's not a very good argument for why they are the best band of all time, when again the Beatles were twice as innovative and eclectic as Queen ever was.

3. Presence in Pop Culture. Queen found there way into too many films and TV shows to list. Even taking out the films that featured "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions," Queen still saw massive soundtrack play. The album "A Kind of Magic" alone made up the soundtrack for "Highlander" both in film and television, with songs such as "Princes of the Universe," "Who Wants to Live Forever," "Don't Lose Your Head," and "Friends Will be Friends." And don't tell me that whenever Bohemian Rhapsody comes on with you and your friends in the car, you don't turn up the chorus and headband a la Wayne's World! Whenever it's on the radio in New Jersey, I see people headbanging in their cars just like I do. Flash Gordon is such synth-cheese, but it's wonderful synth-cheese, just like ABBA.

Again, not a very good argument for best band of all time, as again, the Beatles have had a much larger presence in pop culture than Queen ever did. So did Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, and countless others.

4. Legendary Live Shows. Here is where I appeal to the UK members on the forums. The 1986 Wembley Stadium shows are LEGENDARY, and nothing else comes close. Queen packed a stadium with crazy fans like no other band in history. With only two dates at Wembley available, Queen played a third night at Knebworth Park. 120,000 fans showed up. In 1976, Queen played a free show in Hyde Park. 150,000. Legendary.

Indeed it was amazing. But have you actually watched those concerts? Not as mind-blowing of a concert as you would expect. Still fantastic stuff, but nothing downright mind-blowing like Hendrix at Monterey.

5. Historical Context. Hall of Fame in 2001. Queen albums have topped the UK charts for a total of 1,322 weeks - the equivalent of 27 consecutive years - which is more than The Beatles or Elvis. Queen's Greatest Hits remains the UK's #1 selling greatest hits album of all time at 5,407,587 copies. Over 300,000,000 worldwide albums sold. Here's a great stat - Queen is the only band to have EVERY MEMBER record MORE THAN ONE #1 Single in their career. Not even The Beatles can say that - nice job, Ringo. In 2003, Queen became the ONLY band to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

You give fantastic points here IC25, but in no way does Queen match the historal legacy or "context" as you may put it of the Beatles. No way shape or form. There is no bigger band to ever exist than the Beatles, and there never will be. They set the bench mark for which all bands now aspire to, yet will never reach.

I am going to stop here, because I do have to actually work while I am at work. But this alone is enough research and evidence to show you why Queen is the greatest band in music history - or at least worthy of your support and consideration.

One of the greatest bands in music history without a doubt, but not the greatest good sir. That spot has always and will always belong to the Beatles. Nothing else compares to their impact, absolutely nothing.

And now people, here comes the bombshell that will send you all throwing rotten fruit at me: I voted for Blondie.

Mainly because Queen is going to demolish Blondie, and I wanted some support for the amazing band that Blondie was. I found it funny how Ech said that he though Blondie was too poppy, even the song "Heart of Glass" which is ironically their most pop-oriented song. Just thought ya worded that funny man. Listen to "X Offender" or the guitar in "One Way or Another" and tell me they were a pop band.

I probably listen to both bands an equal amount, though I give obvious acknowledgement to the fact that Queen has the greater legacy and was a better band than Blondie, but I wanted some support for one of my favorite bands that too often gets forgotten.

Check out some Blondie people, you won't be disappointed. Whether it's the falling in love with the cop who arrested you tale of "X Offender", the beautiful emotion of young love in "Dreaming", or the pulsing guitar riff in "One Way or Another", Blondie had it all. They could go from punk to disco to rap and back without breaking a sweat or looking foolish. Other great songs to check out include "Atomic", "Heart of Glass", "Call Me", "Denis", and pretty much the entire album Parallel Lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back