Van Halen vs Lynard Skynard

• Van Halen

• Lynard Skynard

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

5th Round 70's Region Match

#4 Van Halen (w/ David Lee Roth) vs #12 Lynard Skynard

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

I have to make a huge case for Van Halen here.

Lynard Skynard is not worthy of a final four berth. I realize that they may not be as "over rated" as I feel they are, since they had so much influence on Southern Rock Music. But how we can show so much respect to L.S. and none to the Allman Brothers or America baffles my mind. "Free Bird" may be a classic rock anthem, as is "Sweet Home Alabama," but outside of those two, they've been good - but not all-time great.

Let's also not forget that L.S. had a ten-year hiatus due to Ronnie Van Zandt's death in the plane crash. I give them credit for standing up and persevering, but they lost a lot of time there.

Skynard has never had an album do better than double platinum, and NOTHING since 1977 has even been certified gold.

Van Halen with David Lee Roth revolutionized guitar rock yet again in the late 70's "disco ball" era, the first band to truly do that since the Stones and Zeppelin. Roth and Freddie Mercury rearranged how we looked at frontmen (taking influence, again, from the Stones), and the band itself outdraw HUGE acts like Kiss and Ozzy when they opened on tours.

Van Halen 1 - the debut - went 10x platinum. This ONE ALBUM sold more than all Skynard albums combined. Songs like Runnin with the Devil still resonate today. Their cover of You Really Got Me is far superior to the original by The Kinks. Jamie's Cryin had such a crisp beat line that Tone Loc used it later for the background of his song "Wild Thing."

Van Halen 2 went 5x platinum.

1984 went 10x platinum on the strength of songs such as Hot For Teachers, Jump, Panama, Drop Dead Legs, and Top Jimmy.

Skynard cannot even carry Van Halen's amps, let alone make the Final Four in the 70's Region over them. People, don't allow two songs to allow you to put Skynard over one of the greatest guitar rock bands in history.

VOTE VAN HALEN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back