7 halo v 39 Shenmue

?

• Halo

• Shenmue

Results are only viewable after voting.
One of the most difficult match-ups I've had to vote on in this entire tournament. Shenmue is such an underrated classic that really revolutionized the gaming industry in ways that still effect the business today. I'm really glad to see some of us get behind it in this tournament and hopefully introduce it to people who've never had the distinct pleasure of playing this wonderful game.

That said, I ended up voting for Halo. Halo was just one of those games that completely devoured my time. Hours upon hours upon hours were spent playing Halo on my PC, I can't explain how much fun I've had from online games of Halo. I could play Blood Gulch for fucking DAYS man and never get tired of it. One of the best games I've ever played, hands down, and it gets my vote here in a very, very close match-up.

I am not going to deny the fact that Halo is, to a very very many lot of people, a fantastic game. This said, however, I must take the typical anti Halo position, and call it generally overrated. Its accolades don't need to be listed, because anyone who knows anything about games already knows them. What I can tell you is that its hugely repetitive, and is really just a repetitive FPS that survives on a hype machine.

Shenmue, however...oh, wonderful Shenmue. An unappreciated masterpiece of the adventure genre, Shenmue not only masters its genre, it defines it. It produced the greatest console graphics yet to be seen, and it created the most real and interactive world seen until that point. Some criticize the game for being slow, but I say that's a load of bullshit, and why not take your time through the masterpiece that is Shenmue. It popularized the QTE concept that is present in a huge variety of games today, it created wonderful combat, and it tells one of the most brilliant video game stories ever. It is a forgotten classic, and it outclasses Halo in nearly every definition.

I don't think that I have ever heard of Shenmue... I think some may kill me for that, but with that said. I have to go with Halo for the same reason I always go with Halo. It was one of the best games to ever come out. You could lose yourself online for days at a time in the multiplayer. I also was a big fan of the campaign. It's one game that I will hold on to for a very long time and hold dear to me....

Halo in a squash in my opinion. I never even heard of the other game lol. Halo is one of my favorite games all time, so i obviously went with Halo

Hmmm let's see, overrated FPS vs. game with an epic storyline and gameplay that was unique and methodical in it's approach. Xbox vs. Dreamcast. Fuck that I go with Shenmue on the Dreamcast over Halo any day.

Oh noes the Halo fanboyz are going to be mad at me. Whatever I don't give a fuck about Halo. Halo got repetitive and boring for me, just like any other FPS with the exception of Goldeneye. Meanwhile you have Shenmue, quite possible the best game the Dreamcast ever put out. Here you had a game that had a deep storyline, the fight scenes were incredibly fun, oh and dare I mention the birth of the QTE? For the uninitiated that means Quick Time Events, you know, the part of gameplay that has been ripped off and used by other titles such as RE4 just to name one? Yeah, that was perfected by Shenmue, and no other title has been able to use the QTE as well as Shenmue did.

And the great thing about Shenmue is, you can do a fuckload of shit in the game before even advancing the storyline once, the collectibles, the arcade games they had, hell you could even get a Sega Saturn or Dreamcast (I dont' remember which off the top of my head) and play some mad video games while sitting at home. Not to mention the RPG aspect of trying to increase your skills so when you do get into a fight, you're ready to whoop that ass like there's no tomorrow. What do you get with Halo? I get to shoot people. Big deal, I'd rather use my kung fu to knock some bishes out.

Masterpiece vs. overrated FPS, vote for the game that is a masterpiece in this contest, and that masterpiece's name is Shenmue.

Only 11 votes so far? It's an easy choice anyway, the most overrated game of this decade or one of the most revolutionary. Vote Shenmue you buggers

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back