• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

4 Reasons why Megadeth is better than Metallica

Megadeth is better than Metallica

• Agreed! Thank you IC25, for bringing this up!

• No! IC25, you're a raving loon and should be shot.

• Aw, geez guys, I think they're about the same... (Cop-out!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
In order to stir the pot a little in the music forums, I am going to state my opinion about two bands and ask for reaction. I expect this first "essay" to be a real spark, since I know how "die-hard" Metallica fans can be.

With a great deal of history and similarities, the debate will rage on for ever as to which band came out the best - Metallica or Megadeth. While Metallica has enjoyed more mainstream and financial success, bands like Matchbox 20 and N'Sync prove to us each day that success is not the result of a good band.

Between the two, Megadeth is the superior band. Here are 4 reasons why.

1. So many great Metallica songs were written by Dave Mustaine. Let's look at the list. The Four Horsemen, Jump in the Fire, Phantom Lord, Metal Militia, Ride the Lightning, The Call of Ktulu. Now I do not claim to know each of these songs inside and out, but it's passable to say that Call of Ktulu was one of the greatest instrumentals in metal history. And it was written by Mustaine. Metallica still gets credit for it, but it kinda makes Hetfield and co. look silly when years later they claim:
"Dave was all speed. He had no feeling, he had no pull-offs, he had no brilliant things. He tried to get brilliant sometimes, but it would sound awful." James Hetfield, 1993.

2. Megadeth wrote more socially conscious music. Both bands were fairly dark, and explored some deep issues such as depression and death, but Megadeth succeeded in tackling some larger social issues, and doing so with the blessing of their fans. Countdown to Extinction looked at endangered species and environmental survival as a issue, the the chilling "A Tout le Monde," written and performed in half-English, half-French, was a chilling suicide note with amazing harmony and pain. "Sweating Bullets" told an angry story of schizophrenia. "Hangar 18" and "Take no Prisoners" look coldly at the military's presence in everday lives and the looming danger of nuclear war, while "Dawn Patrol" and "Ashes in Your Mouth" describe nuclear winter. "Hook in Mouth" goes right after Tipper Gore and the other parents who sought to censor the world of music. And of course, "Symphony of Destruction" about abuse of power and megalomania. Like most metal and hard rock bands, substance abuse appears in a great number of works.

3. The sell-out philosophy. There is a massive difference in the fans of Megadeth and Metallica. Metallica fans cling to the past like boxers past their prime. When the musically talented tandem they so vehemently cheer for decide to branch out and try more alternative music, the result are charges of "selling out" or "going soft." Megadeth fans, in general (this is not a blanket statement in any way) seem to be more progressive, embracing songs such as "Almost Honest" as a way of watching the band evolve and develop.

4. Versatility in styles. Metallica is thrash metal. Pure and simple. They did mix in a little bit of progressive epic influence, probably from bands like Testament, Savatage, etc., but for the most part it was thrash and speed metal. Megadeth was able to be faster and harder than Metallica and still remain quasi-loyal to some of the band's punk roots.

There are 4 reasons why Megadeth is better than Metallica. Let the firestorm begin.

-IC25

I would like to start by saying that I think Megadeth is brilliant. Dave Mustaine is a musical genius and has written some of the best metal music ever with Megadeth and Metallica. He is a phenomenal guitar player and has an outstanding voice.
With that being said....Are you out of your mind?? IC25, I hate that we have disagreed twice in one day, but Megadeth cannot compare with Metallica in any way. Album sales, concert attendance, ticket revenue, etc. Any plausible way to compare bands comercially- Metallica wins outright. As far as musical content, Metallica wins that battle as well. They experimented with many different sounds which made them much more diverse. I don't buy into the "sell out" shit that some Metallica fans go crazy over. They wrote songs about much more than just death, including one of the most beautiful love songs ever written.
You pointed out that Mustaine contributed songs on the first 2 Metallica albums, which is true. However, Master of Puppets in considered Metallica's best album by most die hard fans and the Black Album is their masterpiece according to most critics- neither of which Mustaine had a hand in.

This is probably an arguement that could go back and forth forever. Both bands are great and together they made metal mainstream back in the early '90's.

Megadeth cannot compare with Metallica in any way. Album sales, concert attendance, ticket revenue, etc. Any plausible way to compare bands comercially- Metallica wins outright.

Which amazes me, since this is exactly what most "hardcore" fans of Metallica hate about...Metallica!

They experimented with many different sounds which made them much more diverse. I don't buy into the "sell out" shit that some Metallica fans go crazy over.

I think you are in the minority then. I loved the more experimental, later works. Proves once again, that RVDGurl is the glorious exception to every bad rule.

They wrote songs about much more than just death, including one of the most beautiful love songs ever written.

Which song?

Us disagreeing twice in one day is unsettling, but it is in music, and I think you and I have some fairly different musical opinions. As always, I love the debate. I just think you're wrong, and I love you for it.

Which song?

Nothing Else Matters. Gorgeous song. In fact, it's so moving that I would like it to be my wedding song (if I ever take the plunge).

Us disagreeing twice in one day is unsettling, but it is in music, and I think you and I have some fairly different musical opinions. As always, I love the debate. I just think you're wrong, and I love you for it.

Ahh yes...our second disagreement. This must just be a bad day. I will point out, however, that in this matter you are wrong. But it doesn't change the way I feel about you. :)

Just....no. Just just...no. I mean----NO. ....

NO!

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not even a huge diehard Metallica fan, but the two bands can't even be compared. Megadeth was alright, but I always found them to be overrated. Metallica wrote plenty of political and emotional songs, anyone whos heard anything they've done in the past 25 odd years can attest to that.

Not to mention that songs like the Four Horsemen were totally reworked by the other members of Metallica after they fired Dave. Mustaine's version of the song, called Mechanix, doesn't sound much of anything like it. A good portion of the lyrics are the same and the guitarwork is the same, but thats about it.

I don't know, its all really just a matter of opinion. And my opinion is you are incredibly wrong. Metallica > Megadeth any day of the week in my book.

Ok my turn, Now for me I think both bands are great and am a huge fan of both of them, however I think overall Metallica is the better of the two, they just are, I don't buy into the sell out thing, other than if you look at it the way the Newstead looks at it in that yeas they sell out, every show the play they sell out the entire arena, stadium, or whatever venue they are playing, Metallica is not afraid to try new things and sometimes they work and sometimes it sounds not so good (this was the case with St. Anger, which I still beleive would have been better had Lars not tried to play his drums like Animal from the muppets), now I'm not saying Megadeth is doesn't compare (this is the part where I defend Megadeth BTW), Megadeth is a great band and there are times where I prefer Megadeth over Metallica, Megadeth is one of the few mainstream metal bands that came out of the 80's that made a mark with Mustaines political views, and I think Mustaines voice IMO just sounds better or at least has more of a signature quality to it, what I mean by that is as soon as a Megadeth song comes on the radio you know who it is, Mustaines voice just stands out

Now in all honesty, I don't think either band would be where they're at now if it weren't for Mustaine getting kicked out of Metallica early on, I beleive after that happened it lit a fire under Mustaines ass, which lead to Megadeth being successful, and it gave Metallica the right line-up it needed to be successful

Well there's my take on it, does any of my rambling here make any sense?

I'm going to agree with the thread starter on this one for numerous reasons. First of all, as a long time fan of both bands, I can safely say that Mustaine is more than half the reason Metallica was even able to develop their early fanbase long enough to stay intact. If it weren't for Mustaine, there would be no Metallica, plain and simple. Not only did he write a lion's share of Kill 'Em All, but he also wrote (and was subsequently uncredited for) material used in two succeeding Metallica efforts. The primary difference between the two bands? Timing. Metallica hit their high-water marks and found their sea legs before Dave and some of his revolving door of hitmen could ween themselves away from serious substance abuse long enough to get their shit together.

1. Drummers - Megadeth
Megadeth has ALWAYS had better drummers than Metallica. Why? Because Lars never properly learned to play his shit, even though Tama is still stupid enough to endorse him with a thousand dollar snare drum he doesn't deserve because a metric fuckton of high schoolers can outgun this guy. I still have a workbook of Metallica songs from Justice where he goes on record as saying that his drum lessons in 1980 never amounted to much and he didn't have the patience to just sit in a room doing his rudiments. What a pity, because aside from playing sloppy at fast speed, he's had to have Bob Rock conjoined to his ass since 1990 covering up for his inadequacy at staying level while attempting to keep time.

A year to record the Black Album and he still plays shit drum parts for Nothing Else Matters. Anyone who doubts this needs to check out the Cunning Stunts DVD and listen to him overplay (and fucking ruin) a nice selection of his own material. Lars needs to be sent to Fred Gruber and shown exactly what it means to not suck ass. From Gar to Menza, Degrasso, Drover, or even Chuck Behler, Megadeth has always had better kept time. Guys like Lars are the reason Pro Tools was invented and inevitably became popular. For proof of this, watch Some Kind of Monster.

3. Lead and Rhythm Guitar - Megadeth
Now, looking at some of the technical stuff, James and Mustaine are about level, but quite frankly the whole issue of spider-chords was most certainly Dave's baby first. Not to mention that James didn't even begin to assert himself as Metallica's sole songwriter until three albums in without having to keep Mustaine's old parts on standby. Mustaine is still a shredder's shredder by any means and seeing the difficulty of some of his songs (not to mention how tight he plays them live) I give him the edge. Watch the Megadeth: Rude Awakening DVD and the performance of She Wolf to see what I mean.

to be continued...

...continued from above...

4. Bass - Metallica
This is the one category where Metallica spanks 'Deth hands down, I think. Cliff Burton and Rob Trujillo are what I'd look for if I needed a wingman on the low-end in a metal band. Whether it's Cliff's immense creativity and left-field playing, his blitzkrieg stage performances, or his influence on Metallica's "no rules" creativity they exhibited up through Justice (mainly because of Cliff's fascination with Rush songs), Cliff was and is still the benchmark by which metal bassists live up to. Megadeth was never a band that showcased the rhythm section very much, honestly. With Mustaine's rhythm guitar ability it was almost not needed.

David Ellefson was a solid bass player and really kept the time well, but his live show was nowhere near Cliff (who was the ultimate cyclone of hair and finger movement) and he's definitely not anywhere near the "lead bassist" category you could put Cliff into. In summary, I felt he was an anchor player who did his role, but wasn't memorable enough to stand out lie his Metallica counterpart. Moving on to Jason Newsted? I felt that although he was solid as a replacement, Rob Trujillo as all-around a much more skilled musician and definitely had the stage performance-end of the deal down much more. This is why even though I found Newsted to be a step down, Trujillo was much more of a step up. Even taking into account the replacements since Ellefson that have jumped through the ranks of Megadeth like Lomenzo and McDonough, I still feel that Metallica has always had this end of the market cornered. Too bad they never had a decent enough drummer to compliment Cliff while he was around. I shudder at the thought of Cliff going move-for-move with someone like Dave Lombardo.

...to be continued...again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back