• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

31 Manias in 31 Days: Rewriting Wrestlemania V

LODemolition

Championship Contender
hogansavageliz.jpg

The fifth installment of "Rewriting WrestleMania" series takes us back to 1989, which revolved around one of the greatest feuds of all-time. The Mega Powers exploded when WWF Champion "Macho Man" Randy Savage put his title on the line against his former best friend "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan. The 2 began to go their separate ways when Savage "saw lust in Hogan's eyes" for Miss Elizabeth. When Hogan challenged Macho for the WWF Champion in Trump Plaza (the only venue to host Mania in back to back years), the question everyone asked was which corner would Elizabeth be in. In my opinion, this feud was brilliantly scripted. But the rest can't be said for the entire show as usual. So once again, I will post the results followed by the changes I would have made.

WrestleMania V - April 2, 1989
Trump Plaza (Atlantic City, N.Y.)

Hercules def. King Haku w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

The Twin Towers w/ Slick def. The Rockers

"Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase w/ Virgil vs. Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake ended in a double count-out

The Bushwhackers def. The Rougeau Brothers w/ Jimmy Hart

Mr. Perfect def. Blue Blazer

World Tag Team Championship Handicap Match: Demolition def. Powers of Pain & Mr. Fuji to retain

Dino Bravo w/ Frenchy Martin def. "Rugged" Ronnie Garvin

The Brain Busters w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan def. Strike Force

Jake "The Snake" Roberts def. Andre the Giant w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan by DQ (Big John Studd was special guest referee)

The Hart Foundation def. Honky Tonk Man and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine w/ Jimmy Hart

Intercontinental Championship Match: "Ravishing" Rick Rude w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan def. Ultimate Warrior to become new champion

Bad News Brown vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan went to a no contest

The Red Rooster def. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

Main Event for WWE Championship: Hulk Hogan def. Randy "Macho Man" Savage w/ Elizabeth in a neutral corner to become new champion

*Rewriting WrestleMania V*

1. "The Model" Rick Martel def. Tito Santana

For those old enough to remember, Rick Martel left Tito Santana high and dry at WM5 in their match against The Brain Busters. I would've had that actually take place a few months prior so that these 2 could be Mania foes in the opening match. Martel gets the win, since he was the one who got a slight push once this team split.

2. "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan def. Bad News Brown by disqualification

Duggan gets the win after Brown bends the rules a bit too far.

3. The Brain Busters w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan def. The Bushwhackers

Easy call here. With Strike Force split, Blanchard and Anderson get the win over Luke and Butch.

4. "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase w/ Virgil def. Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

Virgil lends a hand and DiBiase defeats the fan favorite Beefcake.

5. Mr. Perfect def. "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka

I'd have Hennig beat someone with a bit more of a reputation than Owen Hart/The Blue Blazer at this point, for his debut Mania match.

6. The Twin Towers w/ Slick def. The Rockers

It'd be tough to take The Rockers very serious in this one. Bossman and Akeem make short work of Jannetty and Michaels.

7. Intercontinental Championship: "Ravishing" Rick Rude w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan def. The Ultimate Warrior (c)

I like exactly how this went down. It came as a big surprise to everyone. Not a thing I'd change.

8. Hart Foundation def. Rhythm & Blues w/ Jimmy Hart

Nothing I'd change here either.

9. WWF Tag Team Championship: Demolition (c) def. Powers of Pain w/ Mr. Fuji

I didn't understand making Fuji a participant in the match. Other than taking him out, I'd leave this the same with Ax and Smash retaining.

10. Jake "The Snake" Roberts def. Andre The Giant w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan by disqualification (with guest referee Big John Studd)

I liked this feud a lot and would've saved it for later in the card. It was always hilarious to watch Andre hightail it out of the ring when Jake released Damien from the bag.

11. WWF Championship Match: Hulk Hogan def. "Macho Man" Randy Savage (Elizabeth remained in a neutral corner)

I loved everything about this feud. Wouldn't change it if I could. Wasn't thrilled to see Hogan become champion again, but Savage had a full year with it, so I understand them feeling it was time for a change.

And that's it. Not a whole lot I'd change about WMV. Feel free to post your comments and your rewritten version of this event.

I like the thread

Here's my Mania 5

1. Rockers vs Brain Busters
These two teams began a feud back at Survivor Series but there was never any payoff match of significance. The Rockers were the perfect team to open a show and get some energy in the building. Something this event was sorely lacking.

2. Twin Towers vs Strike Force
Since Santana and Martel were going to split, having Martel leave Tito to fend alone against two 400 pounders as opposed to Tully and Arn, makes Martel's heel turn that much more sinister. Plus The Twin Towers squashing the Rockers made no sense. If they were going to squash a team, it may as well be the team that's splitting up rather than a team on the rise like The Rockers.

3. Hart Foundation & Blue Blazer vs The Rougeaus & Mr.Perfect
Much like Rockers/Busters, the Harts and Rougeaus were another big tag team feud that had no real pay off. Jimmy Hart sold the Harts contracts to the Rougeaus in 88 so it would have made sense to have Jimmy's new team battle his old team. And to spice things up I'd pair the Blue Blazer (owen hart) with the Harts. This also gets Mr.Perfect involved in the match, allowing for Curt Hennig and Bret Hart to have some one on one ring time. They had several classics at house shows throughout 1989.

4. BATTLE ROYAL: (right at the halfway point of the event)
Hercules, King Haku, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Bad News Brown, Red Rooster, Honkytonk Man, Brutus Beefcake, Greg Valentine, Rugged Ronnie Garvin, Dino Bravo, Luke, Butch, Brooklyn Brawler, and Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Most of these wrestlers were either misused at this event or involved in matches with little fan fair. Jimmy Snuka returned at this event so why not use him in an in ring capacity. Throw all these leftovers into a battle royal.

PIPER'S PIT w/Bobby The Brain Heenan
Piper returned at Wrestlemania V unfortunately the piper's pit segment with Brother Love and Morton Downey Jr was mortifying. A better guest would have been the best promo man of his time, Bobby Heenan. Plus this would have set the Piper vs Heenan and Rude feud in motion.

5. Jake Roberts & Big John Studd vs Andre The Giant and Ted Dibiase
At this stage in his career Andre simply couldnt carry a singles match. He was awful. He and Dibiase made a great tag team so why not keep them together for Mania. Plus this combines so many feuds in one. You have the ongoing Andre/Jake feud, the history of Studd/Andre, the blooming Dibiase/Jake feud, and the Studd/Dibiase feud stemming from the finish to that years Rumble.

(As for the rest of the card, I wouldn't make any changes to the 3 title matches)

WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP
6. Ultimate Warrior vs Ravishing Rick Rude

WWF TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
7. Demolition vs Powers Of Pain & Mr.Fuji

WWF CHAMPIONSHIP
8. Hulk Hogan vs Macho Man Randy Savage

Some might say I have too many tag team matches but I couldn't disagree more. That makes the two big singles feuds stand out that much more. Also, the battle royal shortens the amount of matches on the card which gives more time to the matches that actually matter. Quality over quantity.

You didn't understand making Fuji a participant?

Maybe cause it was the match that happened once Fuji turned on Demolition, so it was Demolitions chance to get their hands on Fuji.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back