25 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 -v - Halo 3 104

Discussion in 'Hyrule Region' started by Lee, Jun 2, 2011.

?

?

1. Sonic2

2. Halo3

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

[​IMG]

For Sega there's Sonic, for Microsoft there's Master Chief. Deul of the ambassadors step up as Sonic 2 takes on Halo 3.

[​IMG]

2. TheKingHustla

TheKingHustla The Man Who Saw R-Truth Beat Cena!

I never saw the reason for everyones fondness in Halo. I know I'm in the minority with that but it's true. Sonic 2 on the other hand was great. It added the annoyingly unuseful Tails to the sonic family, but more importantly, it added great things like the spin dash to a franchise that was already known for being the first cheat code that I ever had etched into my mind.

Fun Fact: Sonic 1 cheat code, Up, Down, Left, Right, Hold A, press start. Still got it!

3. The Doctor

The Doctor Great and Devious

Halo 3 wasn't even one of the good Halos. Sonic 2 may not be my favorite Sonic game (that honor goes to Sonic 3 & Knuckles), but it was miles better than Halo 3. Previous Halos were fun. Halo 3 was dull and brown - like most FPS's out there. Sonic 2 was an explosion of bright, tightly-designed levels and bosses with some of the fastest platforming action out there. It took Sonic 1 and improved everything, adding cleaner sprites, better level designs, a co-op mode, great faux-3D special stages, and the Spin Dash, one of the most important additions to the Sonic franchise. It was bigger, faster, better.

What did Halo 3 improve in its series other than features that didn't really add anything important?

Vote Sonic.

4. Ty Burna

Ty Burna Getting Noticed By Management

Ah yes, one of my fondest memories growing up (aside from playing the hell out of my grandparents' STILL working NES) was finally completing Sonic 2. To me it still stands out as one of the greatest platformers of all time. Naturally Mario was still better, but the first two Sonic games had a different vibe with them. Sonic 1 was a great game as well, but Sonic 2 really put some polish on it. Not only that but the pacing was better and the level design better. Even to this day I still remember Metal Sonic's pattern and how to defeat him. Finishing off Robotnik/Eggman's final machine with no rings is one hell of an accomplishment to top it all off.

Halo 3 was just another Halo. Nothing revolutionary came from it, and was more or less an update from Halo 2 with shinier graphics. Still a fun game to play with friends, but not a game that will stay with me for years and years like Sonic 2 did. So factoring in the fond memories of my childhood, and how much fun it is to this day for me, gotta vote for Sonic 2.

5. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

It should be said that Halo, on it's worst day, is still better than half of the games that are going to make it through to the second round.

Still, I know all about the hate that it seems to attract around these parts, which surprises me more than anything. A lot of people go crazy about how revolutionary it was in terms of multiplayer and how it redefined the Xbox. Still, I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I have never been the biggest fan of Halo but I can see it for what it is worth. It basically holds up the 360 fan support every time that a Halo game is announced and that is something that should be addressed. Halo 3 is the only Halo game that I bought on opening day and I don't regret it. Sure, I thought it could have been better and there was times when I just wanted to throw my console through the nearest fucking window playing it but it was still an excellent game. For those of you saying that it wasn't even the best Halo, I agree. However, as I said, Halo on it's worst day is still better than a lot of games that will make it through. Don't vote against it because it is Halo, or because you think that Halo 2 was better.

In saying that, I have to go with Sonic. Sonic 2 is perhaps my favourite of the Sonic titles and it really has the beating of Halo in some respects. Given that is was made decades ago and can still hook people into playing with minimal fuss, it goes a long way in remaining one of the best gaming titles ever. Halo, whilst being a newer game, wont come close to the Sonic franchise's legacy and it is because of Sonic 2. A pretty complete game that I suspect will go pretty far in this tournament if the draw works in it's favour.

6. Mr. Artistic guy

Mr. Artistic guy Better Off This Way

I've still never completed Sonic 2, that last Boss is really something else. I remember when I first hit him 8 times and how angry I was that he didn't die. But what's important is I've tried countless times. Sonic 2 is my personal favourite Sonic possibly outside of the original Sonic for the Master Sytem because of nostalgic reasons.

I've played Halo 3. I didn't understand the fuss. Sonic will be getting my vote.

7. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Sonic 2 is better than Halo 3. I'm not a fan of the Halo games, never have been. I'm a huge fan of the oldschool Sonic games though and 2 was the best in the series. I have many fond memories of playing through Sonic 2 whether it be as Sonic, Tails, or even Knuckles. It gets my vote because of being a far more enjoyable game.

8. Sean Valjean

Sean Valjean Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love

Sonic 2 is not only my favorite Sonic game but also one of my favorite games of all time. I've beaten it more times than any other game. The level design has done the best job at balancing speed and platforming. The music some of the best I've heard in a game. It introduced the spin dash, a key feature in every Sonic game after it. It was also one of the first games to attempt a simultaneous co-op experience, with a second player able to control Tails at any time. Oh yeah, and it introduced Tails, one of the few Sonic characters that doesn't suck. In my opinion, this is Sonic perfected.

I haven't played much of Halo 2, or at least it's campaign mode. I never had an Xbox, but spent many nights playing split-screen multiplayer with friends and that was always a blast. Still, there are other FPS that are just as good or better than Halo 2. There aren't many platformers not named Mario that can match Sonic 2's greatness. You're good Halo, just not Sonic good.

9. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

Sonic 2 wins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.