2012-13 WWE MVP

The Fabulous Rougeau's

Championship Contender
Following up on the first thread for the most recent completed year (13-14) which can be found here;

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=278991

This thread will focus on the 2012-13 WWE year and ask the same question. Who was the WWE MVP for 2012-13?

My answer is CM Punk. This year captures most of his 434 day title run and also features both face and heel versions of CM Punk. Highlights include his feuds against Jericho, Cena, Ryback and The Rock, before finishing the year challenging Taker for the streak at Mania 29.

"When you step in the ring, your arms are just too short to box with God"

For me it's an very obvious CM Punk. He was the champion for most of this year. He walked into and left Wrestlemania 28 the WWE Champion. I know it's popular to bash his face run now but he was still getting the loudest pops (if not the rabid insane ones of Summer of Punk) of the night up until his heel turn. While maybe not the most serious of feuds the absurd AJ Lee dominated feud against Daniel Bryan was very entertaining and delivered some awesome matches that were unfortunately lost in the shuffle against John Cena's garbage matches with Big Johnny, Big Show, and every other person that had absolutely no business main eventing over the champ.. long standing pet peeve of mine. His heel turn brought his game too a whole new level. I loved reading people bitch and moan on these forums at the time about wanting the attitude era back only to get their panties in a bunch about Punk mocking Jerry's heart attack and Paul Bearer's death. It's notable that no matter how diabolical he got that he rarely got more than a 50/50 reverse Cena reaction where half the crowd (adults) would cheer him and half (kids) would boo him. I'm sure he was disappointed he couldn't get a full heel reaction but I think it's only a testament to how electrifying his character had become.

Shortly into 2013 he dropped the title to the Rock, but not before giving one of the greatest promos I've ever seen. While no where near as remembered as the original, his pipe bomb against the Rock, which weaved decades of WWE continuity from Sammertino to Cena as a way to hype the monstrous ego of his Champion Punk character, was to me every bit the equal of his June 2011 promo. After moving on from the Rock he of course entered into his Wrestlemania feud with Undertaker. But not before gifting us with one of the most incredible matches in Raw history against John Cena. As much as I love the Undertaker I believe it was Punk who carried him to his last good Wrestlemania Match. His rather ghoulish mocking of Paul Bearer's death gave a rare occasion for Undertaker's dark character to come across as an hero and really made everyone begging to see Punk's comeuppance. That the match really delivered was all the better.

My favorite Punk matches of 2012-2013
vs. Daniel Bryan (Over the Limit)
vs. John Cena (Night of Champions)
vs. Vince McMahon (Raw Oct. 8)
vs. John Cena (Raw Feb. 25)
vs. The Undertaker (Wrestlemania XXIX)

Following up on the first thread for the most recent completed year (13-14) which can be found here;

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=278991

This thread will focus on the 2012-13 WWE year and ask the same question. Who was the WWE MVP for 2012-13?

My answer is CM Punk. This year captures most of his 434 day title run and also features both face and heel versions of CM Punk. Highlights include his feuds against Jericho, Cena, Ryback and The Rock, before finishing the year challenging Taker for the streak at Mania 29.

Can't forget taking it to Brock Lesner at Summerslam. Being able to step in the ring with some of the best of all time in Rock, Cena, Taker and Lesner all in one year is unreal! The end of the year wasn't good to Punk, as we all know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back