2011 Match of the Year Discussion

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
We have a similar thread to this in the Board Room for when the year-end awards season comes around, but I figured it would be fun to start a thread that everyone on the board can jump in to discuss what matches you think are deserving of being discussed thus far for "Match of the Year" in 2011. I'm thinking I'll even try to locate/upload certain matches that might get talked about so that more people can see it if they haven't and weigh in (I'm thinking this especially for puro, lucha, and indies work).

I'll start off with a short list of some of the matches that are at the top of my list so far in 2011. I'll separate them by promotion and include my own personal rating for them, but you don't have to give star ratings or grades if you don't want to. I'll nominate most matches that hit atleast ****.

NOTE: All spoiler tags have matches in them. Atleast the ones I could find.

WWE
Edge vs. Dolph Ziggler - Royal Rumble 1/30/11 (****1/4)
http://www.mb7.org/play/312557/wwe-...-ziggler-world-heavyweight-championship-match

John Cena vs. Randy Orton vs. CM Punk vs. John Morrison vs. Sheamus vs. R-Truth (Elimination Chamber) - Elimination Chamber 2/20/11 (****1/4)

Undertaker vs. Triple H (No Holds Barred) - Wrestlemania XXVII 4/3/11 (****)

Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio (Ladder) - Extreme Rules 5/1/11 (****)

TNA
Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle (2/3 Falls) - Lockdown 4/17/11 (****)
http://facebookvideoindir.gen.tr/tna-lockdown-2011-kurt-angle-vs-jeff-jarrett-1-2-hq.html
http://www.facebookvideosuindir.com...urt-angle-vs-jeff-jarrett-22-hq-odo-ea0d.html

ROH
Davey Richards vs. Chris Hero - Only the Strong Survive 1/15/11 (****1/4)
Roderick Strong vs. Jay Briscoe - Only the Strong Survive 1/15/11 (****)
Christopher Daniels vs. Eddie Edwards (2/3 Falls) - 9th Anniversary Show 2/26/11 (****)
Davey Richards vs. Roderick Strong - Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter One 4/1/11 (****1/4)
Eddie Edwards vs. Christopher Daniels - Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter One 4/1/11 (****1/4)

NOAH
Kotaro Suzuki vs. Eddie Edwards - First Navigation Tour 1/29/11 (****3/4)

NJPW
Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki - Wrestle Kingdom V 1/4/11 (****1/4)

Prince Devitt vs. Kota Ibushi - Wrestle Kingdom V 1/4/11 (****)

AJPW
Kaz Hayashi vs. Minoru Tanaka - B-Banquet 284 1/2/11 (****)

CMLL
Valiente vs. Polvora - 4/5/11 (****1/4)

Dragon Gate
PAC vs. Ricochet - Infinity 211 3/1/11 (****)

So yeah, that's my list so far. What are some of your picks so far this year?

ROH
Kings of Wrestling vs All Night Express- 9th Anniversary Show
All Night Express vs Briscoe Brothers- Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter Two

Chikara
El Generico vs Eddie Kingston- Chaos In a Sea of Lost Souls
Fire Ant and Green Ant vs Claudio Castagnoli and Tursas- Clutch of Doom
The Colony vs The Osirian Portal- Caught In a Cauldron of Hate

There may be more added as I finish up King of Trios Night 3.

EVOLVE
Sami Callihan vs Zack Sabre Jr- EVOLVE 7

These may not be the best matches of the year, but they are matches that deserve praise as some of the best in each respective company so far this year.

I haven't actually watched Dolph vs. Edge [definitely going to], but I think Undertaker vs. Triple H definitely deserves to be considerated.

My personal MOTY so far has been Christian vs Del Rio at Extreme Rules. Good storytelling and there was a lot of emotion going into that match.

Also X I think that Miz vs Morrison in a Falls Counts Anywhere match from the first Raw of this year also deserves to be rated at four stars.

Also add in the Smackdown Elimination Chamber. I thought that one was far superior to RAW's and is honestly most likely my MOTY right now. I thought it was nearly perfect in every way. Awesome match.

Cody Rhodes/Rey Mysterio - Extreme Rules. That's mine so far. The other one I was thinking of, well, never happened. Denial makes the pain lessen somewhat. But it never happened, so I don't know what I'm denying.

Davey Richards and the WGTT vs Roderick Strong and the Kings of Wrestling. It may be biased since I saw the match live but it was fucking awesome.

It was a great match, but the reason I'll choose Christian Vs. Del Rio at Extreme Rules is because Christian won the World Title. It was a feel good moment, and by far my favorite match of the year so far, even if only because of sentimental reasons.

El Generico vs 1-2-3 Kid - King of Trios Night 3

This match was all kinds of awesome, but there was a minor botch or two that might hold this back for some people. I loved it though and Waltman proved all weekend that he could still go.

The Miz vs John Morrison, Falls Count Anywhere - RAW

Dolph Ziggler vs. Edge - Royal Rumble

Undertaker vs. Triple H - Wrestlemania 27

Also add in the Smackdown Elimination Chamber. I thought that one was far superior to RAW's and is honestly most likely my MOTY right now. I thought it was nearly perfect in every way. Awesome match.

My thoughts also. Both of them were utterly watchable, I think I preferred Raw's but it shouldn't overshadow Smackdown's much if at all.

Thus far Kane vs. Edge on the first Smackdown was possibly my favourite match I've seen yet, worth a mention.

BUMP BUMP.

Christian/Orton from OTL could possibly be nominated, it was awesomesauce.

I'd also like to nominate Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yuji Nagata from April 3rd at Korakuen Hall. Brilliant psychology and limb work and a flat out war. Can't find it on YouTube right now but once I can I'll post it here.

Aye Samuel. Aye.

If I was feeling generous I might also nominate YAMATO vs. Austin Aries from the last Dragon Gate USA iPPV, or YAMATO vs. Masaaki Mochizuki from the Dead or Alive PPV in Japan a few weeks back. Both were absolutely excellent, ****+ matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back