2010-2011 NBA Preview and Predictions

People's Champ

Bleeding Teal
With the NBA season just around the corner, its time to preview the stories and predict the playoffs of this upcoming season.

Top 5 Stories for the 2010-2011 Season

1. Can the Lakers 3-peat?---The Lakers are returning just about everyone, with the exception of new additions Steve Blake and Matt Barnes. Both are seen as upgrades. The West doesn't look to be as strong as in the past or compared to the now loaded East. The Thunder could give the Lakers trouble again, but the Lakers are deep and are the favorites.

2. Can the trio in Miami deliver in season 1?---Obviously the biggest story in the offseason was that of Bosh and James deciding to join Wade in Miami to form a superteam in the NBA. There was concern that these 3 would take up too much money to sign anyone decent. However, as we have seen, they have put together a good roster to surround them. However, the focus and pressure is squarely on the Big 3 to perform and put Miami back at the top. While regular season success is a guarantee, the question is can they take it all the way. Can these 3 coexist and bring home the title?

3. If/When will Carmelo Anthony be traded?---there was a lot of talk during the offseason that Anthony would be traded. He is a free agent at the end of the season, and seems to want to move East and potentionally join Amare and possibly Chris Paul in New York to form their own Big 3. The Nuggets have offered Anthony an extension, which would give him more money than any contract he could sign as a free agent, yet he hasn't signed it. The Nuggets don't want to trade away their best player, but at the same time don't want him to walk away and get nothing in return. This could potentially cause trouble for the Nuggets, and will be monitored throughout the season.

4. The maturation of Kevin Durant.---Kevin Durant has skyrocketed up to being the 3rd best player in the league behind Kobe and LeBron. He was the league's leading scorer last season and helped put a scare in the Lakers in the 1st round of the playoffs last season. He quietly signed an extension this offseason to stay with the Thunder, and gained praise for how he handled that move compared with how others were handling theirs. He has a chance do damage this season and lead his team in the playoffs with some expectations. The growth of this fantastic young player will be enjoyable to watch.

5. The new technical foul rule.---this has been somewhat discussed in another thread, but it will be curious to see how its enforced during the regular season. If its anything like we've seen in the preseason, there will be a lot of controversy. Will big time players be ejected from games, changing the outcome? What will come from the NBAPA's legal action over this? Something to watch for this season.

Now, onto the predictions for this upcoming season:

Western Conference

1. Los Angeles Lakers---They have the most talented team in the league and are playing in a rather weak conference compared to years past. They still have the best player in the league and best coach. They should have no real challenge claiming the top spot in the West.

2. Oklahoma City Thunder---They are a young, fast team led by the Durant. They have learned from their experience with the Lakers in the playoffs, and now are another year better. This team can be dangerous this season and may in fact be the team that could surprise the Lakers.

3. Dallas Mavericks---Dirk took a discount to remain with this team and allow Cuban to try and reload once again for a run in the playoffs. They are talented enough to win the division, but the question still remains, can they win when it matters the most, in the playoffs?

4. Utah Jazz---The loss of Bozzer was big, but maybe not as big as a lot of people may think. Al Jefferson will fill in nicely, and having Deron Willams running this certainly helps. Sloan will have this team ready to play and make it in the playoffs, just as has been his custom.

5. Phoenix Suns---Stoudimire's decision to leave won't hurt the Suns very much. As long as Nash continues to play at a high level, which he has and most certainly will, this team can contend. They added Turkoglu, Childress and Warrick, which shouldn't hinder their offense.

6. San Antonio Spurs---This team is another year older, but they still know how to win games. They may not be on top of the conference like in years past, but they still have Parker, Duncan and Ginobli, which is enough to get in.

7. Portland Trailblazers---I would like to put them higher, but it seems like every time I do, they disappoint me. Injuries have been the issue with this team, but now they have everyone healthy. The key now is keeping it that way. Oden needs to stay healthy because he can have a big impact. Roy should be good to go as well, so they should be able to make noise, finally.

8. Memphis Grizzlies---Another young team team with some talent, although they're not as deep. I like the combination of O.J Mayo and Rudy Gay who, along side Randolph and Conely, can win some games and sneak into the playoffs.

Eastern Conference

1. Miami Heat---Too much talent here to fall below the top spot. They will be the best team in the league in terms of wins this season. Will be curious to see how well they will be able to play as a unit. But I don't see major problems that will derail them.

2. Chicago Bulls--- My pick to meet the Lakers in the Finals. This team has overall a better team than the Heat. Rose will elevate his game, and the addition of Boozer certainly will add to their frontcourt. With Noah, Deng, Korver, Brewer, this team will be tough to beat.

3. Orlando Magic---I have them as the 3rd best team, but I don't know how much longer they have here. Teams are catching up or have past them (i.e Bulls, Heat, Bucks). Howard needs to step up this season and dominate offensively. There is no question that this team will make the playoffs, but can they show up when they have to will be the question.

4. Boston Celtics---This is the last gasp for an aging team. They signed Shaq and Jermaine O'Neal to help out with their frontcourt while they wait for injuries to heal. They have an old team but one that made a push to the Finals and almost won it. Unfortuntely for them, everyone around them has gotten better and is younger, which will make another run almost impossible.

5. Milwaukee Bucks---This starts the 2nd tier teams, and I really like the Bucks. Brandon Jennings had a great rookie season and will only improve. Bogut will be a forcus down below the basket. This is a solid team with Salmons, Maggette and Gooden. They will be fun to watch this season.

6. Atlanta Hawks---I won't lie, I seriously was thinking of putting the Bobcats ahead of the Hawks. This team has been an utter disappointment. Joe Johnson is a good player, but was not worth the money he was given by the Hawks. They needed him though to compete for a playoff spot. This team is still young, but is going the wrong way.

7. Charlotte Bobcats---The reason the Bobcats aren't higher is A)too many good teams, and B)their bench, or lackthereof. They have a good group is Wallace, Jackson and Diaw, and Augustin coming up to replace Felton. But again, no bench will really hurt this team.

8. Philadelphia 76ers---I had a tougher time than I thought I would with deciding who I thought would take the 8th spot. I thought N.Y for a minute, but couldn't pull the trigger. I'd like to think that the 76ers could surprise people this season, but Brand has to be healthy. Brand along side rookie Evan Turner, Holliday, and Iguodala should fight and slip on in to the playoffs.

NBA Finals

Lakers over Bulls in 6 games

I like the Lakers to win the West because of the talent that's on their team, and the fact that Kobe will be extra motivated this season. That will mean a lot for this team considering how they like to get complacent. As I said before, I think the Bulls have a lot of talent as well, and are the most talented team in the East. They will beat out the Heat to win the Eest. I like Kobe and the Lakers though to 3peat this season.

Ok so I actually got through that. Now I'll leave it up to you. Discuss stories your watching for this season or just make your predictions here.

Eastern Conference

1. Miami Heat- Just too much fire power. As long as everyone stays healthy they should be able to pick up 60 plus wins easily during the regular season.

2. Boston Celtics- This is their last chance to make another title run. They are full of veterans and have some good, young talent sprinkled in as well. The older guys need to stay injury free.

3. Orlando Magic- They have the formula to beat the Heat, a great big man and good three point shooting but I don't think they will ever get the chance to meet them in the playoffs.

4. Chicago Bulls- Losing Boozer for the first couple months of the season really hurts their playoff seeding and that could be their downfall. Still a very good team with a lot of upside.

5. New York Knicks- I love what the Knicks did this off season bringing in Amare, Felton, Anthony Randolph, and Ronny Turiaf. All of those acquisitions along with the maturation of Danilo Galinari and Wilson Chandler makes them the surprise team in the East.

6. Milwaukee Bucks- They added Corey Maggette, brought back Salmons, and Brandon Jennings should improve at the point. The only problem is that the Eastern Conference got a ton better along with them.

7. Detroit Pistons- This is a homer pick but fuck it. I like the look of the team and how they've played in the pre season. If they can stay healthy the rest of the way then I see them making a surprise trip to the playoffs.

8. Atlanta Hawks- They overpaid Joe Johnson and got rid of the coach who helped them achieve their success. They falter a little this season.

I have the Charlotte Bobcats as my last team out. They improved in the off season but no where near as much as everyone else.

Western Conference

1. LA Lakers- They are just too good. The additions of Steve Blake and Matt Barnes improve an already great team.

2. Dallas Mavericks- Having Caron Butler and Brenden Haywood for an entire year will be big. The addition of Tyson Chandler was a very good one as well.

3. Oklahoma City Thunder- The best up and coming team in the league. Durant is going to improve even more this year which is a scary thought. The maturation of Serge Ibaka and the Thunder's other young bigs will be key.

4. Portland Trail Blazers- They always have a good team and if they stay healthy they can compete with the best of them. They NEED to have Oden healthy.

5. Phoenix Suns- I loved the acquisitions of Turkoglu, Childress, and Warrick. They all fit in perfectly with this system and will help ease the loss of Amare. Having that Steve Nash guy helps too.

6. Utah Jazz- They lost Boozer but gained Al Jefferson and Raja Bell this team may not have improved but they certainly didn't get worse. I think Jefferson has a huge year for them.

7. San Antonio Spurs- Every year it seems they may be too old and every year they make the playoffs anyways. This year is no different.

8. Denver Nuggets- If Carmelo was guaranteed to stay and wanted to be there then they could be as high as the 2 seed especially with the addition of Al Harrington. There are just too many questions surrounding Carmelo.

I have the New Orleans Hornets as may last team out. They will have a nice come back year but fall just short of the playoffs.

NBA Playoffs

East
Heat over Hawks in 4
Celtics over Pistons in 5
Magic over Bucks in 6
Knicks over Bulls in 7

Heat over Knicks in 6
Celtics over Magic in 7

Heat over Celtics in 6

West
Lakers over Nuggets in 5
Mavs over Spurs in 6
Thunder over Jazz in 6
Phoenix over Portland in 7

Lakers over Suns in 5
Thunder over Mavs in 6

Lakers over Thunder in 7

NBA Finals

Lakers over Heat in 7

The big men for the Lakers will pound it inside and LA has enough good defenders on the perimeter in Kobe, Artest, and Barnes to slow down Wade and LeBron. Close series with the Lakers completing the three peat allowing Phil Jackson to ride off into the sunset.

Western Conference

Los Angeles Lakers-Their the reigning NBA champs and their going to continue to get better with upgrades like Steve Blake and Matt Barnes and also bringing in rookies like Derrick Caracter and Devin Ebanks.

Dallas Mavericks-I expect alot out of the Mavs even though last year they were eliminated in the first round by San Antonio. Caron Butler will have a better season this year since he didn't have a full season with the Mavs last year. And they also have get depth in the front court with Dirk, Haywood, and Chandler.

Oklahoma City Thunder-The surprise team of last can make another big leap this year. I see Durant being an MVP canidate or possibly winning it and I see Russell Westbrook possibly putting up All-Star numbers.

Houston Rockets- I think alot of people are sleeping on the Rockets. I don't know for sure if they will be the 4th seed in the West but I definitely believe they will be a playoff team this year. Even though they didn't make the playoffs last year they were still over .500 with a 42-40 record. And even though Yao will only play 24 minutes a game he can still create open shots and baskets for Kevin Martin, Aaron Brooks, Chase Budinger and the rest of the team. And lets not forget the depth the Rockets have, they have nearly 3 of every position which will help them out alot this year.

Portland TrailBlazers-I would put the Blazers higher but their team is so injury prone. Their an automatic playoff team with the roster they have but if none of them can stay healthy expecially their star player Brandon Roy then they won't get very far.

San Antonio Spurs-The Spurs are a playoff team every year so no surprise they will make it this year.

Utah Jazz-The Jazz lost key players in Boozer, Matthews, and Korver but filled in the holes with the additions of Al Jefferson, Raja Bell, and Gordan Hayward. With these addition I don't see the Jazz being any better or worse than what they were when they had Boozer and the others.

Denver Nuggets Depending on how the Melo situation works out I see the Nuggets being good but I see a sloppy season instored for this team.

or

Phoenix SunsEven though they lost Stoud Phoenix won't be that bad off. The Suns have shown they can do just fine without Stoud plenty of times. And if you sourrond Nash with good players they'll win and thats exactly what Phoenix did this off-season with getting Turkoglu, Childress, and Warrick.

Eastern Conference

Miami Heat-LeBron, Wade, and Bosh honestly how can this team not be #1 in the East. Too much talent but unfortentaly they lack in bench production and size which is what I fell will be their down fall this year.

Boston Celtics-The Celtics have alot of depth which will really help them cruise through the season with a good enough record to at least have homecourt in the first round.

Orlando Magic-The Magic really didn't upgrade much this season but they still have a top team in the East and still will give alot of teams problems defensevly and with their 3 pont shooting. However Howard will have to step up more if he wants his team to be more of a powerhouse. Hopefully for him his training with Dream helped him out this off-season

Chicago Bulls-I like the Bulls and think they will get out of the first round this year. Adding guys like Boozer, Brewer, and Korver will really help this team out and make Derrick Rose a better Point Gaurd. I don't see them winning the title now but this team could be a contender very soon.

Atlanta Hawks I think the Hawks will fall back a little but not much. They spent alot on Joe Johnson and really didn't upgrade much this season. And lets not forget that they have a new coach.

Milwuakee BucksThis team played very well last year in the regular season and despite not having Bogut during the playoffs they managed to take Atlanta to a 7 game series. With key additions in getting Maggette, Gooden, CDR, etc... they will be a pretty solid team

New York Knicks I can see the Knicks being a playoff team this year but I'm not as high on them as others are. Adding Stoudimire will help and they have key players in Felton, Chandler, Gallo, Randolph, Azubuike,etc... but this to me isn't enough to be a top seed in the East this year. Unless the Knicks can find a way to pull off Melo or any other top player I don't see them beeing any better than a 7th or 8th seed in the East.

Washington Wizards I'm going to go ahead and say that John Wall will help lead the Wizards back to the playoffs. I've been pretty impressed with Wall so far and with the kind of players he has around him this year I could see this team getting the 8th seed.

NBA Playoff

West

Lakers over Suns in 4 or Lakers over Nuggets in 5
Mavs over Jazz in 6
Thunder over Spurs in 7
Rockets over TrailBlazers in 7

Lakers over Rockets in 6
Mavs over Thunder in 7

Lakers over Mavs in 6

East

Heat over Wizards in 4
Celtics over Knicks in 5
Magic over Bucks in 6
Bulls over Hawks in 7

Heat over Bulls in 6
Celtics over Magic in 6

Heat over Magic in 7

NBA Finals
Lakers over Heat in 7

Shit I guess I'll throw an early season prediction in here.​

Western Conference

1) L.A. Lakers- Defending champs and have only gotten better with the addition of Matt Barnes.​

2) Portland Trail Blazers- Injuries hurt this team last year, if they stay healthy they can end up in the Finals.​

3) Dallas Mavericks- Not that they'll do anything in the Playoffs, but this team is lights out in the regular season.​

4) Oklahoma City Thunder- Could be alot better than what I have them, but they're unproven so 4 is where they stay, for now.​

5) Denver Nuggets- This is only if Melo decides he's there all season and plays like he wants a fat contract.​

6) L.A. Clippers- Blake Griffin.​

7) San Antonio Spurs- These old dogs always seem to make it interesting so they're in at the moment, I don't have much confidence in them though.​

8) Houston Rockets- Someone has to be the eight seed.​

Eastern Conference

1) Miami Heat- After the game tonight I believe the hype.​

2) Orlando Magic- Always there with a high seed and Boston not caring about the regular season helps them.​

3) Boston Celtics- The original Big 3 plus Rondo will make another finals push this year.​

4) Chicago Bulls- The Baby Bulls are getting older and alot better with the addition of Carlos Boozer and Kyle Korver. Could be a cinderella type team come playoff time.​

5) Atlanta Hawks- Starting 5 with no true superstar, even though joe Johnson is close to it. They should make waves again this year and hopefully grab that brass ring.​

6) Milwaukee Bucks- The team with almost zero hype every year will quitely make it to the 6 seed.​

7) New York Knicks- Love what they did with the additions this offseason could go around .500 this season.​

8) Charlotte Bobcats- Someone has to be the eight seed and the Bobcats will probably finish under .500 this season, but in the East it usually doesn't matter.​

MVP

Kevin Durant

It's his time, LeBron's numbers won't be as impressive and Kobe will be more focused on winning than ever before.​

Defensive Player of the Year

Dwight Howard

Who else plays defense in the NBA nowadays?​

Coach of the Year

Eric Spoelstra

This is only if Riley doesn't take over mid season. If Spoelstra can coach the Biggest 3 to a great record he wins this award.​

6th Man

J.J. Redick

Consistanly getting more minutes from Stan Van and hitting all his shots.​

Most Improved Player of the Year

Greg Oden

Kinda hard not to improve.

Rookie of the Year

Blake Griffin

He is a man among men.​

I'm a little late on this, but whatever. We're only a few games in. Playoff teams, here we go.

The East

1. Miami - No doubt they'll have a great regular season. 60 wins easy, hardly any losses at home. Their one huge problem is ability to defend the rim. Joel Anthony is just not gonna get the job done. Unless they can acquire someone midseason, they're not winning a title.

2. Orlando - Will be a better regular season team than Boston, but they aren't winning a title unless Dwight Howard develops some sort of an offensive game.

3. Boston - They're another year older, but Rondo is another year better. I still think they O'Neals stink, but they are a pretty deep team. Like the addition of West, if he doesn't get kicked off the team.

4. Bulls - D-Rose is a complete monster and Boozer will be a great complement to him. Noah is a great defender/energy guy, but the lack of depth/a shooting guard will be their downfall.

5. Bucks - Really solid everywhere. Jennings might not be as great as last year, but will still be solid. Getting Bogut back is a huge plus.

6. Hawks - Basically the exact same team as last year. Meh.

7. Knicks - They'll be exciting if nothing else. Not a championsip contender, even if they do add Carmelo at some point, mostly because they'll play no defense as all, but still fun to watch.

8. Pistons - I think the Pistons are pretty bad, but so is every other eastern conference team below this. I almost went with the Pacers, but their starting frontcourt includes Roy Hibbert and Josh McRoberts.

The West

1. Lakers - Simply better than everyone else. No doubt.

2. Thunder - Really excited about this team this year. Durant is going to average over 30 again and has a great shot at MVP. Young guys like Green, Westbrook, and Ibaka should come along. They just need one more shooter to get over the edge.

3. Mavs - Just a solid, veteran team. Dirk is nearly unguardable at times and their lineup 1 through 8 is as good as anyone in the league. Biggest concern is the Haywood/Chandler combo at center.

4. Jazz - Williams is one of the best PGs in the league and Jefferson is going to just fine when it comes to replacing Boozer.

5. Spurs - They'll put up 50 wins just like they do every year. In addition to the usual cast, I think George Hill is really going to have a breakout year and Splitter should be a great addition.

6. Portland - They won 50 last year with basically everyone injured. They have a lot of the pieces there, but I don't know if you can win a title with Roy as your best player.

7. Houston - Even with a limited Yao, I really like them. Scola is a gamer and Brooks and Martin are two great backcourt scorers.

8. Phoenix - Completely different team than last year, but I'll put them in simply because of Nash.

Miami over Chicago
Boston over Orlando

Lakers over Spurs
Thunder over Mavs

Boston over Miami
Lakers over Thunder

Lakers over Boston in 7

MVP - Durant
Rookie of the Year - Griffin (he's a freak)
Coach - Scott Brooks
Defensive - Dwight

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back