• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2007 MLB Postseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.

SmackDown! is MY Show
This is the thread to tall about both the National & American League playoff series and of course the World Series

American League
Boston Red Sox Vs. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

New York Yankees Vs. Cleveland Indians

National League
Well on Monday we have a one game playoff for the wild card between the Colorado Rockies and San Diego Padres

Arizona Diamondbacks vs Chicago Cubs

Philadelphia Phillies vs Rockies/Padres winner

Looking this post season it looks to be a good one though I think the Rockies will win the one game playoff on Monday as they have the better offense than the Padres do and the game will played in Colorado. Even though the Padres have Peavy going I still say the Rockies will pull it off and move on

Here are my divisional round predictions

Rockies vs Padres
(Rockies; the Pads have been slumping and the Rox are at home. Look for the offense to come out early and take the Pads out of the game. They advance)

Rockies vs Phillies
(Phillies in 5; the Phillies pithcing is horrendus. But their offense is going to be enough to take them into the next round. The Rockies have to prove themselves to get respect from me.)

Cubs vs Diamondbacks
(Cubs in 5; Eventually, the D-Backs are going to break and the Cubs have the pitching, the offense and the heart to overtake a D-Backs club riddled with injuries)

Yankees vs Indians
(Yanks in 4; I hate to say it but the Yankees look to be the stronger team. They will overtake the Indians in 4 with pitching, hitting and coaching.)

Angels vs Red Sox
(Angels in 4; My Angels will play it well for 1 game at fenway and finish the job at home where they have the best home record in the league. Escobar and Weaver will come up big against the Sox)

this should defenitely be an interesting postseason with the usuals plus the indians in the AL and potentially all new playoff teams if the Rockies win the final game which I think they will in the NL, this is a hard one to pick so but ill do it anyways.

out of the AL I pick the Angels

IMO the Angels have the best combination of pitchiing/hitting/fielding of any team in the AL there rotation is good they can play good small ball and can also outslug teams if they have to. playing on the west coast will give them also give them a mental edge because while Boston and New York get overhyped the Angels will come into the playoffs with a clear mind ready to beat all comers.

and out of the NL ill take the Diamondbacks.

no team in the NL really stands out to me at the moment but out of all of them I'll take the team with the best starting pitching. while the Diamondbacks dont have the best hitting their starting pitching looks like it could take them far into the playoffs.

so there are my picks feel free to analyze them and tell me what you think.

American League
Boston Red Sox Vs. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

New York Yankees Vs. Cleveland Indians

National League
Well on Monday we have a one game playoff for the wild card between the Colorado Rockies and San Diego Padres

Arizona Diamondbacks vs Chicago Cubs

Philadelphia Phillies vs Rockies/Padres winner

Well first off in the AL i want to see the Indians defeat the Yankees because CC Sabathia and Carmona is probably the best one two punch in the AL but i believe inexperience will take over and i see the yankees winning in 5 games.

Now to go with boston and Angels i see boston winning this series because i believe the starting pitching is a little better than average and they have a little better offense, but the only thing going for the Angels in K-rod and his experience. but i see O over Coming pitching i boston in 5.

D-Backs and Chicago i see the cubs as being the beneficiary of the Playoffs, I see there high powered offense with Ramirez Soriano and Lee dominating Webb and the troops. I see cubs in 4.

Now i see the Padres winning against the Rockies because of Jake Peavy on the mound, and if he wants to consider Cy Young award he needs this game and i see it happening.

I also see the Pitching overcoming the O of the Phillies because the likes of Maddux and Peavy in the playoffs even though both teams lack experience. I see the Padres in 5.

I gotta say I was very happy the Rockies beat the Padres. The Padres I didn't understand in the first place how they made it with their very very inadequate hitting. Plus for some reasons I've always been a tiny little fan of the Rockies simply because they're such a huge underdog, kind of like why I still like the Pirates deep down. Rockies have been SERIOUSLY hot these last 2 weeks, and they are going to be very hard to stop. I feel bad for the Phillies, but the Phillies are a great team as well. I'm giving this series to the Rockies though honestly, I think they've really been that hot of a team and have that good of an offense.

Cubs-D'Backs....I really can't see the Cubs winning this. I still can't believe the Cubs even made it to the post season until I realized how horrible of a divison they play in. D-Backs have been one of the hottest teams in the last few monthes and not many people besides me seems to notice this. I'm going with D-Backs...they've got better pitching, and much better hitting. The D-Backs are scoring an average of about 3 more runs a game then the Cubs are.

Indians and Yankees series I am giving to the Indians. The Yankees have fought hard, but I just can't see them being able to go through it all just based on offense. They really don't have much of any pitching. They've got only 4 guys they can truly depend on to pitch, and thats Wang, Pettite, Joba, and Rivera. The rest of their staff is totally inconsistent and goes from pitching great to absolutely pitiful in a matter of innings. With match ups against CC Sabathia, Fausto Carmona and the decent Brian Westbrook, the Indians should be able to take this series in 5.

Then theres the Red Sox and the Angels, the games I'm obviously most interested in. Sorry to burst your bubble Angels fans, but this is just simply not your year. Have you ever seen John Lackey pitch in Fenway? He's absolutely terrible with an ERA of about 10 and a record of 1-7. I remember just a month ago in August he got completely hammered in the first inning by the Sox for something ridiculious like 7 runs. Combine that with Beckett pitching at home, I see the first game going too the BoSox. The second game is very iffy, as it all depends on which Dice-K shows up: the stellar over 200 strike-out Dice-K, or the 5 ERA Dice-K. Plus Kelvim Escobar is pretty freakin' nasty. Still, he's a bit banged up, so the Sox have a good chance in that one. From there the rest of the games are up in the air, but I really see the Red Sox pulling the win in this series. We here in New England have been waiting for about 3 monthes now for the post season to start knowing full well we would be in the playoffs. Now the time has come.

Watch out.

With my Angels out...I thought I'd make some predictions on the next series...

For the red Sox and Indians: Indians in 6, The Red Sox are very talented but they beat my Angels, whose offense was crap. The Indians have great offense and a 1-2 punch (Sabbathia and Carmona) that can take out Beckett and Dice-K easily if they focus hard enough. The Indians offense is also a force at Jacobs Field. If they are able to get a game at Fenway in games 1 or 2, they will surely take the series either in 5 or 6.

Rockies and D-Backs: Rockies in 7, don't get me wrong, the D-Backs are a great team but the Rockies are hot right now and I simply think that they are going to ride their momentum into the World Series. They have the hitting and good enough pitching to win. The D-Backs have Brandon Webb and several no namers. The D-Backs will only win it if Webb wins all his games.

Personally I just don't think the Indians stand a blue chance in hell in this series. They've got a great one two punch like you said Coolhayek, but the Red Sox have an overall better pitching staff in every regard. Beckett is better then Sabathia and Carmona (don't deny it). Not to mention he has already proven himself to be one of the greatest postseason pitchers of all time with his stints with the Marlins and now us. Dice-K had an explosive first half and was tired out by the second half but STILL won 15 freakin' games as a rookie pitcher who was in the top 5 in the league in strikeouts and he can easily step up and deliver, especially off of all the rest he's been given. Then we've got Schilling (actually Schilling pitches Game 2) who started off this season hot as hell, then got injured and lumped his way through the last month of the season. However he's gotten hot over his last few starts, especially his last one against the Angels. Schilling is easily the best postseason pitcher of all time, theres no veteran you would rather have on that mound than the Legend of the Bloody Sock himself.

Not to mention Boston's bullpen is absolutely 100% better then Cleveland's. Jonathon Papelbon, Hideki Okajima, and Manny Delcarmen are guys that almost always get quick 1-2-3 innings in no sweat at all and were three of the best relievers this season. We also have Eric Gagne who has proven himself to be an outstanding pitcher, however in his short time with the Sox this season he really just has not been good. He's had a few decent appearances as of late, but for a while there in August he was absolutely KILLING us. So he's still up in the air.

Then theres the offense. Don't get me wrong, Cleveland has a great offense. But it's a very situational offense and they don't really have many hitters that will intimidate a pitcher. We've got the best 1-2 punch in baseball in Ortiz and Ramirez. Really, I don't think this is a fair matchup either.

Overall I see the Sox taking it in 5. Six at the maximum.

As for the Rockies-D'Backs....Rockies all the way. They are on absolute fire. D'Backs don't stand much of a chance here IMO, they are just too young and inexperienced.

Phew, so I definately underestimated the Indians, but still my BoSox pulled it through! What a GREAT game that was last night! The final score doesn't indicate what that game was like at all, it was a 3-2 nailbiter for the first 7 or 8 innings before the Sox blew it open. Dice-K was very solid for the short amount of time they left him in there, and Papelbon is the best closer in baseball right now IMO. God I love that kid, everytime they win he's just got such crazy emotion he just screams and dances and flips out, its great to see a young ballplayer getting his first taste of the World Series.

Not to mention Dustin Pedroia came up HUGE for us last night. Kevin Youkilis too, who's hit .550 during the ALCS and is hitting .400 overall in the postseason!

This series with the Rockies though will be damn, damn, DAMN hard. I can say that much. We have almost no experience at Coors Field, and the Rockies are on absolute fire with seemingly nothing possibly going wrong.

I'm still saying the Sox take the series in either 6 or 7 games.

I'm not sure about the Rockies. You would imagine a team that has won, what, 17 out of 18 and ten in a row, and not losing in the playoffs, that an 8 day lay off would kill their momentum.

Who knows though. If the Rockies play like they have, then there is no way in hell they lose this series. I just can't see how a team that has won 17 out of 18 is miraculously going to lose 4 out of 7. You never know though, because the Sox are the team that are supposed to be there.

Regardless, I'm tired of sweeps and crap world series, it's time for a nice seven game series.

Rockies are hot indeed and Im gonna pick them just to spite you (nah not really)...The Rockies did beat the Red Sox 2 of 3 at Fenway this year. They have won 21 of 22...if history means anything and it usually does then that means the team with most momentum as a team will usually win the series...plus those damn Denverites deserve a title after being titleless for like 10 years (Broncos and Avalanche last teasm to bring home gold) plus last time they celebrated a title, the fans caused so much chaos and overthru 2 police cars...I wanna see that again.:)

Im glad that a team finally humbled you XFear...we all know that doesnt happen much. Bostonians have become so accustomed to winning that sometimes they forget what it is like to lose (longtime Red Sox fans would shoot me for saying that..ala curse of bambino before 04)...Yeah the Sox kicked the Angels asses this year but o well at least we won in hockey!:lol2:

Trust me, New England fans and Bostonians are still very aware of what its like to lose.

Patriots - laughing stock of NFL for almost 30 years.
Red Sox - laughing stock of MLB for 80 years.
Celtics - laughing stock of basketball last 5 years.
Bruins - laughing stock of hockey currently.

We're very well aware. Shit, before the Sox & Pats finally won titles, the only thing a Bostonian could hope for was the Celtics or Bruins.

Still, I think like it was mentioned before that the 8 day layoff will definately have an effect on the Rockies. Plus the Sox are on momentum of their own after all. :D

But doesnt it make you so glad to see those damn New Yorkers lose (Just in general) my dad says Yankees Organization is heading for shitsville (which means the Blue Jays could possibly pass them on the 2nd place finish) because Joe Torre leaving means that the Yanks players are POd...and that does not bode well for them....One thing I wish Vlad could do (and not just hit well in postseason) that Ortiz and Manny do...I wish he would take time to learn english and speak it to reporters like Manny and Ortiz do...at least try and if you cant...we all know you tried......

Im actually kinda relieved in a way that Angels did not make world series because there are raging wildfires in California right now and they would not have been able to play anyway because the whole state is on red alert and ppl have lost their homes....but yeah and there were 80 miles per hour winds the other day and my dad commented that there would be a lot of homeruns hit if the winds were raging when the Red Sox played the Angels...but yeah if we would have made it...the WS would have at least been moved back a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back