2000's Bracket; Round 1, Match 7- 7) Million Dollar Baby vs. 26) Star Wars Ep. III

Which is the better movie?

• Million Dollar Baby

• Star Wars Episode III- Revenge of the Sith

Results are only viewable after voting.

Papa Shango

Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 2000's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 7

Million Dollar Baby
million_dollar_baby.jpg

vs.

Star Wars Episode III- Revenge of the Sith

sith_wideweb__430x292.jpg

I'll get shit on for this, but I hated Million Dollar Baby. I never understood the hype and praise that it received, other then the fact that it was another Clint Eastwood movie. Sure Hillary Swank and Morgan Freemen have good performances, but it doesn't make up for a lackluster, and boring movie.

My Fanboy goggles are on, Episode 3 was awesome. The Lucasbashers that exist in the world because George Lucas the Human being wasn't able to deliver their second childhood that they so desperately desired are plain ******ed. This movie delivered in every way, shape and form the back story of the Star Wars Trilogy. It showed the rise, and fall of Anakin perfectly. The ruins of the Jedi, their naive nature, all comes back full circle. I'll defend it more as I see fit.

Star Wars all the way here. It was very impressive. It did bring the first two movies in with the original trilogy. I think the story was great, I think the acting was good, and the effects were ever so impressive. It was another Lucas masterpiece, his 5th such one in the series. I will say it is one of the Epic movies of our time. Million Dollar baby on the other hand was just a one year faze, where people were all into it, and now it died off. Star Wars will live on for our lifetime.

This is tough for me. Million Dollar Baby might not have a single bad moment and it was the first great spots movie in forever. It won Oscars and it was by far the best picture of the year. I could easily say it is a dark horse to win this decade, and it very well may do that.

Ep 3 had its good aspects and its bad aspects. The bad part was simple: We know how it ends, Vader was human so it was just weird, and it was relatively predictable. That being said, it's still Star Wars, meaning its better than almost anything else ever made. When Vader rises off the table, I litereally couldn't move. I was terrified. The fight scene with Obiwan and Anakin is just awesome. Order 66 gave me chills. The whole thign is amazing, and wins my vote here, based on my fanboyness.

Eh, I was never a "Star Wars" fan. I've tried to like it, but it just isn't for me.

However, "Million Dollar Baby" is tremendous. What a great fucking story. And the acting in it is superb. Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freemen... all did a fantastic job with their respective roles. And the way Eastwood shot it was great, too.

Even though I don't like a single "Star Wars" movie, they do deserve some credit, however, just because of the fan base they've been able to obtain and because of the box office draw every single edition of the film has been, especially this one. But even with those facts, there's no way I'm voting for it over "Million Dollar Baby". "Million Dollar Baby" deserved all the praised it got if you ask me and I’m certain it will remain a classic as the years go by.

I'm a Million Dollar Baby fan all the way. Star Wars has great special effects and I found the third one to be good, I just can't overlook the horrible acting from Haden Chrsitiansan. He is better than he was in the others, but found him very unwatchable. Whereas, I loved Hillary Swank's performance, and thought Morgan & Clint both did respectable jobs. I also found the movie to be credibley moving and touching and it pulled a certain string for me that Star Wars wasn't able to. Million Dollar Baby ftw!

Episode III for the most part was what everyone was hoping for. It fell short on a few little details (such as not killing Jar Jar....UGH...wanted that bastard to be choked to death and thrown off the highest building on Coruscant haha) but for the most part it was able to withstand DECADES of build. When you build up that much, you're setting yourself up for a massive let down, but for the most part, fans were pleased with the film. Sure, we could eliminate the "nooooooooooooooooo" in that scene, and some of the dialogue (particularly Padme's) was cringe worthy, but the film kicks ass.

Million Dollar Baby....I just don't really see what's so great about it. I can't see voting for it over Episode III.

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.

yeah.... all I'm going to say Is that Star Wars is lucky its being represented by Episode III, the only note worthy movie to come out of the New Millennium Stars Wars saga. After two solid but overall mediocre releases in Episodes I and II, Lucasfilms finally released their long overdue gem, Episode III, and it did not disappoint, it was a great film. However, Million Dollar Baby was heralded as the best movie of 2004 for a reason, the movie is really unlike any other sports movie, focusing on the darkness and the bleakness instead of the usual sports movie which focuses on triumph and happiness. Most sports movies follow a set formula, starting out on a low note, then fluctuating before ending on high note. MDB starts out on a low note, fluctuates and reaches its high.... before plummeting towards an unseen disaster.

I can understand why fans of sport movies would be put off by MDB, especially those that have grown used to seeing the champion of the film become successful and reach his or her goals. Million Dollar Baby offers the viewer a chance to watch a sport movie from a different view, and the triumph behind the film is really easy to see, you just have to be willing to look past the gloom, the heartache, and the sorrow to see it.

While Star Wars III is a great movie by itself, but without the rest of the saga to go along with it, it does not stand up to Million Dollar Baby

My vote goes to Million Dollar Baby

I see a lot of votes for the Star Wars based soley on the fact that it's... Star Wars. But if you were to put Episode III up against ANY of the Original films, it wouldn't hold a candle. So HOW then, can it seriously be considered to be better than the Best Picture Oscar Winner? Like I said, the fanboys are simply voting for Star Wars. Had it been any random summer blockbuster, it would have been the talk of the summer, and then slowly died away. However, as a standalone film, it doesn't really rise to the heights off Million Dollar Baby. I love Ewan McGregor, and he was good in the movie, but he... was pretty much the only good human actor in that movie. Hayden Christensen is just a terrible villain. He comes across as just a big baby. Natalie Portman was pretty much screwed to wall, given an important role in the first film, and then strung along for two more films just so she could die. And because she served no other purpose than to die, noone even bothered to make her character interesting or to even try to give her good dialogue.

Million Dollar Baby, however, delivers a great script filled with powerful drama, brought to life by the terrific performances delivered by Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood, and Morgan Freeman. Million Dollar Baby trumps Revenge of the Sith in every way.

This one is another no brainer for me. God knows I love me a good boxing flick. Personally I thought Cinderella Man would have been a better choice, but Million Dollar Baby is just fine. I fucking love this movie. Also, if you know me, then you know my disdain for all things Star Wars...especially new generation Star Wars. In a very easy decision but maybe not landslide I choose Million Dollar Baby.

Episode 3 is certainly the best of the new trilogy, by a long shot. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan. But I could go so far as to say it's good, certainly entertaining. But where it really goes downhill, and that has been the case with almost all of the Star Wars films, it's the acting. I could do better. McGregor, Portman & Christensen have all proved before and since that they can act. Yet in this they don't.

How is this so close? Million Dollar Baby isn't even one of those Oscar nominee films that could easily go way over someone's head. It's pretty fucking accessible. I'd wager that at least some of the Star Wars voters haven't even seen Million Dollar Baby. Good film, by all means. Boxing films usually are, even the Rockys.

Is it an all-time classic? No. Is it better than that piece of shit Star Wars prequel? Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back